Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: REPORT: Jets move Coples to OLB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQmysrkRd3o

That was the pro day that Rex attended which may have led him to believe Coples can handle the OLB spot. Coples is a very good athlete and looks very smooth during some of the drills.

Another thing to consider is that Wilkerson already admitted this offseason that the Jets asked him to drop about 20lbs, so he is currently about 295 I believe. If that is the case, maybe the Jets asked Coples to drop weight as well. If Coples drops to 270, it may improve his agility.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    I'm not sure why no one gets it. Then again you all seem to believe whatever you want, and don't seem to watch the games at all.

Okay. One more time. Coples plays in the weak side LB spot, which is the Rush LB/Edge setter. Previously the spot manned by Pace who is really a DE. This is not speculation, or a big mistake. Go back and watch the film. Coples was outstanding in this position last year, the last three games. Okay now that player has the option to put his hand down or stand up. You can call it a 4-3 if he's in a three point stance, but it changes nothing of the rest of the defense. He's not going to cover. He may drop back into a zone once in a while. He's not going to be there all the time, and we're in sub packages nowadays 50% of the time.
    Don't say this it makes too much sense and you are bound to get criticised by people who think they know what they are talking about....but actually don't know $hit

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    Don't say this it makes too much sense and you are bound to get criticised by people who think they know what they are talking about....but actually don't know $hit

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    This is why I only visit the board a few periods a year. having endless arguments on misinformation is tiring. When was the last time you saw 3 lineman with hands in the dirt and not 4 or even 5?

I love how some of the idiots on this board seem to think they know more than Rex Ryan about defense!!

Hall Of Fame
    I'll tell you guys what. I'll settle for him being a 3 down player this year. He had conditioning and physical issues last year. Got better towards the end of the year but we were playing sh*t teams. Thats on the tape too.

@RichCimini: Source: Coples moves to OLB: As far back as the scouting combine in February, Rex Ryan started dropping h... http://t.co/dcxK66s6yT #nyj

As far back as the scouting combine in February, Rex Ryan started dropping hints about Quinton Coples becoming more of an edge player. He'll be on the edge, all right. Coples, used mostly as an interior lineman as a rookie, will be moved to 3-4 outside linebacker, according to a league source.

Ryan uses multiple fronts, so it's quite possible Coples will be deployed as a down lineman in certain situations. But the plan, for now, is to stand him up. The former first-round pick was listed at 290 pounds last season, so he will have to drop weight to play linebacker, which requires some pass-coverage responsibilities.

This helps explain why the Jets were so hot for DT Sheldon Richardson, their second pick in the first round. Now there's an opening on the line for Richardson, who projects as a Day 1 starter.

Coples, the 16th overall pick in 2012, led the team with 5.5 sacks even though he played in only 47 percent of the defensive snaps.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Hate this. They will end up moving him back and forth and mess up his development.

Thank God it is a Steiny report which means it is likely BS. Jets aren't this stupid.

Get over yourself, the kid has inside connections to the team and is usually right with most of what he posts.

This doesn't mean Coples will move outside full time, he will still play with his hand in the dirt and inside, it means he will have a role for him at OLB. It was always believed Coples would be an edge player.

Quote Originally Posted by TebowCan'tThrow View Post
    I love how some of the idiots on this board seem to think they know more than Rex Ryan about defense!!

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    I'm not sure why no one gets it. Then again you all seem to believe whatever you want, and don't seem to watch the games at all.

Okay. One more time. Coples plays in the weak side LB spot, which is the Rush LB/Edge setter. Previously the spot manned by Pace who is really a DE. This is not speculation, or a big mistake. Go back and watch the film. Coples was outstanding in this position last year, the last three games. Okay now that player has the option to put his hand down or stand up. You can call it a 4-3 if he's in a three point stance, but it changes nothing of the rest of the defense. He's not going to cover. He may drop back into a zone once in a while. He's not going to be there all the time, and we're in sub packages nowadays 50% of the time.
    Jesus Christ finally someone with some sense.

I have not played 1 down of football since i was 14 and yet i feel like i know more than the people on this board just cuz they think they know more than guys who are paid MILLIONS for there opinions on this ****.

Coples is not going to be running sideline to sideline guarding slot receivers. He will be used in certain downs and situations. And im sure it will work, our old ass, revis-less defense was 8th in the league last year without Milliner and Richardson.

bb
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I honestly cant think of anything more ridiculous then asking coples to try to play OLB in any traditional sense of the position - he is 290+lbs and 6'6 why stand him up?

This wreaks of Steiny throwing crap at the wall and then when coples lines up at DE he will say he was correct. Suggs played over 90% of his snaps with his hand on the ground, and because the defensive line with be very versatile he will definitely line up at DE, but to say he is "converting" is crazy.

Asking him to be lighter and possibly give up strength would take away his advantage, not to mention quickness off the snap is his best attribute which would also be taken away if we stood him up.

That whole SNY crew is atrocious
    i don't mind moving pass rushers around..... reamains to be seen on whether he an rush passer in 2 point stance.. However, might be a bit much asking him to lose weight and drop in coverage... I like Coples play as a rookie.. Jet's play both 4-3 and 3-4 ... i think coples will see plenty of action with hand in dirt......

Hall Of Fame

REPORT: Jets move Coples to OLB

Ray, lets just bookmark this one.

How did the Weight Watchers work out for us last year?

Coples on one side with Barnes streaking from the other. Richardson, Garray/Ellis, Wilkerson et al up front is scary.

I don't like this. He was really getting in the groove last year. Rather switch to a 4-3

Are you saying you and Ray are Fat? Or is it P-H-A-T, yo?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Are you saying you and Ray are Fat? Or is it P-H-A-T, yo?
    LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by jps1012 View Post
    I don't like this. He was really getting in the groove last year. Rather switch to a 4-3
    Kinda feel the same..this move worries me

Here are the combine reports for Coples and Aldon Smith

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...les?id=2532818

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...ith?id=2495487

Interesting to note that Coples, although weighing 20lbs heavier, posted an identical 40 time to Smith. Smith had better agility numbers, but he was 2" shorter and lighter.

I think if Coples drops some weight, he may be able to open some eyes from the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    Here are the combine reports for Coples and Aldon Smith

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...les?id=2532818

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...ith?id=2495487

Interesting to note that Coples, although weighing 20lbs heavier, posted an identical 40 time to Smith. Smith had better agility numbers, but he was 2" shorter and lighter.

I think if Coples drops some weight, he may be able to open some eyes from the edge.
    This

Umm, I'm on a juice diet.

But seriously, did you even bother to watch the last 3 games last year? Coples played a much bigger role at the OLB position in Rex' scheme, he was often seen standing up.

As others have noted, including myself, this doesnt' mean Coples will never play on the line again, it will be an expansion of his already existing role, and the role he had expanded for him already last year.

I also think there is business aspect of this, as the OP mentioned, the franchise tag for LB is cheaper than that of the DE position.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Umm, I'm on a juice diet.

But seriously, did you even bother to watch the last 3 games last year? Coples played a much bigger role at the OLB position in Rex' scheme, he was often seen standing up.

As others have noted, including myself, this doesnt' mean Coples will never play on the line again, it will be an expansion of his already existing role, and the role he had expanded for him already last year.

I also think there is business aspect of this, as the OP mentioned, the franchise tag for LB is cheaper than that of the DE position.
    The Pats used Willie McGinest like Rex wants to use Coples I think..