Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: REPORT: Jets move Coples to OLB

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that I have concerns about him being a traditional OLB.

However, the way Dunbar worded it was that he was moving to "rush". That to me sounds like he's going to do NOTHING BUT rush the passer, just from the outside on either side and from a standing position when we're in the 3-4 fronts.

I don't mind that at all. Especially seeing this kid Richardson is a beast. This is going to be a REALLY good defensive line. We literally just created a "pick your poison" situation where you are taking a HUGE risk in double teaming any one of these players. There will be one on one matchups and these guys are all well adept enough to win those.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets moving Coples outside

Jets fans balked last year, when the team picked linebacker Quinton Coples over linebacker Melvin Ingram in the first round of the draft.This year, itíll be easier to make a direct comparison between the two players.

According to Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com, the Jets plan to move Coples from defensive end to outside linebacker. Thatís the position Ingram plays for the Chargers.

Coples outperformed Ingram in 2012, despite playing a position less conducive to getting to the quarterback. Each player appeared in 16 games with two starts. Coples had 5.5 sacks while primarily playing interior defensive line in the 3-4; Ingram had only one sack as an outside linebacker.

The decision makes the teamís selection of defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson with the 13th overall pick in the draft a bit more understandable. The decision would make even more sense if Richardson loses 110 pounds and plays receiver.

About Time!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Umm, I'm on a juice diet.
    So is FF2. You wouldn't believe the amount of juice that you can squeeze out of a dozen glazed donuts.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yayankee View Post
    Jets fans balked last year, when the team picked linebacker Quinton Coples over linebacker Melvin Ingram in the first round of the draft.This year, itíll be easier to make a direct comparison between the two players.

According to Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com, the Jets plan to move Coples from defensive end to outside linebacker. Thatís the position Ingram plays for the Chargers.

Coples outperformed Ingram in 2012, despite playing a position less conducive to getting to the quarterback. Each player appeared in 16 games with two starts. Coples had 5.5 sacks while primarily playing interior defensive line in the 3-4; Ingram had only one sack as an outside linebacker.

The decision makes the teamís selection of defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson with the 13th overall pick in the draft a bit more understandable. The decision would make even more sense if Richardson loses 110 pounds and plays receiver.

About Time!
    Cimini is such a jerkoff. He can't help getting in a jibe instead of sticking to the point of the article. He should take a trip over to the Purdue OWL site to re-familiarize himself on how to write properly.

Hopefully Coples can make this transition. I know he's supposed to be a very good athlete, but many players that have had their hand in the ground struggled to make this switch. I will remain cautiously optimistic.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Coples Last Year

The "experts" were pretty critical of the Coples pick last year. Once on the field, he showed pretty well. Rex, Tanny and the scouts did pretty well with that pick.

I think it makes sense to wait until September to start bashing the current crop of picks.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by addage View Post
    The "experts" were pretty critical of the Coples pick last year. Once on the field, he showed pretty well. Rex, Tanny and the scouts did pretty well with that pick.

I think it makes sense to wait until September to start bashing the current crop of picks.
    I wasn't a fan of him coming out, but I have to admit he won me over. I'm still not sold on his motor, although sometimes it's hard to say if it's a lack of effort or urgency.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can someone explain what the difference is between a 3-4 with a rush linebacker and a 4-3? IOW, if QC is always going to rush, why not call it a 4-3?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    REPORT: Jets move Coples to OLB

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=255925

Mods, Merge

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Isn't there a thread on this already?! Like RIGHT near the top of the strip???

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    So is FF2. You wouldn't believe the amount of juice that you can squeeze out of a dozen glazed donuts.
    That creamy white juice they put in there is his fave.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought Coples was drafted to do both? I know he I never saw him used an an OLB last season, always saw him at DE/DT, but I thought he could be used as an OLB coming out of college. I thought that is what is saw the draft gurus saying?

It's a hybrid defense anyhow. People say 3-4 or 4-3, really it's take your pick. You never know what Rex will throw at you.

I think Coples will fill the role quite nicely based on his athleticism. I also believe he could a menace rushing the passer.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    That creamy white juice they put in there is his fave.
    Your getting FF2 horny...

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I thought Coples was drafted to do both? I know he I never saw him used an an OLB last season, always saw him at DE/DT, but I thought he could be used as an OLB coming out of college. I thought that is what is saw the draft gurus saying?

It's a hybrid defense anyhow. People say 3-4 or 4-3, really it's take your pick. You never know what Rex will throw at you.

I think Coples will fill the role quite nicely based on his athleticism. I also believe he could a menace rushing the passer.
    +1 I always get a laugh out of the boards Defensive guru's who have had more experience then Rex on how to run a grade A Defence..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    +1 I always get a laugh out of the boards Defensive guru's who have had more experience then Rex on how to run a grade A Defence..
    And as time goes on I can see Richardson also being used as an OLB at times..So then the Jets have two players with that ability to disguise their looks/plays...I actually wonder if Richardson can be somewhat like an Adalius Thomas type role/player..Somewhat, not exactly...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your getting FF2 horny...
    OOPS! My bad, I thought this was the Jason Collins RG3 thread.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    And as time goes on I can see Richardson also being used as an OLB at times..So then the Jets have two players with that ability to disguise their looks/plays...I actually wonder if Richardson can be somewhat like an Adalius Thomas type role/player..Somewhat, not exactly...
    If we have learned anything about Rex in the last 4 years it is that he loves defensive players who are VERSATILE.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    He was never the player for the Pats under all time great BB that he was with the Ravens under Rex was he??

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He was never the player for the Pats under all time great BB that he was with the Ravens under Rex was he??
    Not even close.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Not even close.
    Yet the Jets need to purposefully lose so they have a reason to fire Rex...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    Coples confirms he has been switched to OLB. Was told after the draft. Will play at 280-285 lbs

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    Coples on moving to OLB: "It definitely gives me more opportunities to get to the QB. I definitely I can make lot more plays than last yr"

Conor Orr ‏@ConorTOrr
    Coples said he was told about being a rush OLB after the draft in a meeting. Said biggest adjustment will be tackling in space

Chris Nimbley ‏@Cnimbley
    Coples talked specifically about learning to drop in coverage & tackling in space as being the toughest adjustments he has to make

Coples is expecting this to be full time move to OLB, won't rule out playing on line in some formations but not expecting to go back & forth
    Last edited by C Mart; 05-02-2013 at 12:12 PM.