Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: REPORT: Jets move Coples to OLB

Chris Nimbley ‏@Cnimbley
    Coples is expecting this to be full time move to OLB, won't rule out playing on line in some formations but not expecting to go back & forth

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    Coples confirms he has been switched to OLB. Was told after the draft. Will play at 280-285 lbs
    That's what scares me and also freaks me out. I fear he'll be productive. At the same time, if he is productive that is a scary freaking thought. 280+ pound OLB running people down? Goodness!

Conor Orr ‏@ConorTOrr Darrelle Revis' number is now in the hands of John Griffin

@BrianCoz: Coples said he was told after the draft he was moving to rush linebacker

Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    Tebow's old locker is empty.

Conor Orr ‏@ConorTOrr
    Follow @BrianCoz for any updates on the desirable real estate which is Tebow's locker.

Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    Ivory is in Revis' old locker

Chris Nimbley ‏@Cnimbley
    Coples also said he weighs around 285 lbs. now, expects to play around 280

So basically he'll play along the line but standing up in a 3-4? Or will he play a true OLB position? Sorry just trying to get a better grasp of the plan with Coples.

Also, where and how does Baltimore use Suggs? How does it compare vs Coples? Forgive me for my ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Everyone knows Rex runs multiple fronts. This is not news and not what is being questioned. I may not speak for all those who are concerned but my issue is I want Coples moving forward every single play. If he is ever put in a position where there is a possibility he would have to drop that is a bad scheme IMO. I don't give a rats ass what he did at his pro day. He wasn't facing Tom Brady at his pro day. Teams will pick up on this and exploit it just like they did when they saw that Pace was in a scheme where he would have to drop back. The QBs can pretty much know our assignments based on how we are aligned. They can audible to exploit it. Despite what you guys think, Rex's schemes and alignments have not fooled anyone good in 3 years.

Then if the speculation about him being ask to lose weight is true that only makes things worse. Losing weight does not guarantee increased speed and athleticism. We learned this last year.
    I'm not quite sure I follow your point. A lot of teams have specialty personnel for certain situations. Teams should be able to pick up on them and exploit them all the time. So in essence it's not different than what any other team does.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    That's what scares me and also freaks me out. I fear he'll be productive. At the same time, if he is productive that is a scary freaking thought. 280+ pound OLB running people down? Goodness!
    Yes we now have conformation that he has been asked to lose 5 lbs, which he looked to have already lost 10 by the end of the season last year. OMG.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Pioli was hosting on Sirius this am and analogied to expect him to be similar to a Carl Banks on the old Giant teams type

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleem View Post
    I'm beating a dead horse because I've posted this elsewhere, but there is a difference between a "true" 3-4 and the 3-4 that Rex uses as his base.

In a true 3-4, all the lineman are two-gap players, and there is a true nose tackle lined up in zero-tech over the center. Pittsburgh runs it.

In Baltimore-style 3-4s, it's basically a 4-3, except the "rush end" stands up. Lineman have one-gap responsibilities, and they are lined up between linemen. Instead of referring to Rex's defense as "multiple fronts" -- which is definitely true -- it may be more useful to use the term "hybrid front", because it won't have everyone thinking that Coples is going to be covering tight ends or crap like that.
    Exactly Coples will be playing the Suggs position. On the limited occasions he has coverage responsibilities, he will be a decoy rusher who drops into a short zone coverage with additional pressure coming from the opposite side or inside.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Exactly Coples will be playing the Suggs position. On the limited occasions he has coverage responsibilities, he will be a decoy rusher who drops into a short zone coverage with additional pressure coming from the opposite side or inside.
    Exactly. Coples is going to be an OLB like Suggs is an OLB or Willie McGinest was an OLB.

It's a hybrid role where the coverage responsibilities will be limited - his main roles will be devouring RBs and getting after the QB. And, with his combination of size, strength and speed, I think he will do these things well.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    I'm not quite sure I follow your point. A lot of teams have specialty personnel for certain situations. Teams should be able to pick up on them and exploit them all the time. So in essence it's not different than what any other team does.
    I hope we didn't use a first round pick on a situational player.

My point was that I would prefer Coples to ALWAYS been in a position where he is moving forward (rushing the passer). Preferably with his hand in the ground. How many times do we scratch our heads when we see guys like Mario Williams and Ware drop into coverage?

IMO he is becoming a major mismatch for NFL guards and lesser tackles on passing downs. Why mess with a good thing? That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    I'm a Rex Ryan fan. But this is one thing I'll never understand. Knowing how important a pass rushing OLB is in the 3-4 defense, why haven't the Jets addressed this position in the draft since hiring Ryan? Not sure who to blame for this.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I hope we didn't use a first round pick on a situational player.

My point was that I would prefer Coples to ALWAYS been in a position where he is moving forward (rushing the passer). Preferably with his hand in the ground. How many times do we scratch our heads when we see guys like Mario Williams and Ware drop into coverage?

IMO he is becoming a major mismatch for NFL guards and lesser tackles on passing downs. Why mess with a good thing? That is all.
    He's a mismatch against quality LTs too. The more they play quicker LTs to combat speed rushers, the more of a mismatch Coples is going to be driving the tackle back then ripping, or swimming past him. Watch him against Micheal Roos who he made look foolish. Also a more direct route to the QB is more effective, and doesn't offer the opportunity to step up.

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    He's a mismatch against quality LTs too. The more they play quicker LTs to combat speed rushers, the more of a mismatch Coples is going to be driving the tackle back then ripping, or swimming past him. Watch him against Micheal Roos who he made look foolish. Also a more direct route to the QB is more effective, and doesn't offer the opportunity to step up.
    He destroyed Jake Locker after disposing of Roos. Too bad we don't have a video of that one.

Conor Orr: Revis trade: Quinton Coples says he needs to make more plays this year

There will be some pitfalls for an outside linebacker playing between 280 and 285 pounds, Quinton Coples understands that.

He's currently working on coverage drills and thinks tackling in space will be the toughest adjustment, after it became clear he will be shifting from defensive end to outside linebacker this season.

But when the Jets talked to Coples after they selected Sheldon Richardson, a prototypical defensive tackle, in last week's draft, Coples was excited about what they told him. The selection would bump him outside to rush linebacker, a position Rex Ryan worked Coples out at, but one that he's never played.

"I was working on it during the Draft process (last year) because I didn't know what I was going to be coming in," Coples said. "This transition has been good, I'm new to this but at the end of the day I've been working on it."

Coples, who led the team with 5 1/2 sacks last year while rushing from the interior, thinks there will be more opportunities for him to increase his total from the outside.

"I definitely see I have to go out and make a lot more plays than I did last year," Coples said. "I got a year of experience under my belt, I definitely think coming from the outside with my technique and things of that nature."

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...ays_he_ne.html

He seems too big for outside. I guess we will find out.

Quinton Coples, Dion Jordan represent new trends

By Gregg Rosenthal

Heading into his second season, New York Jets defender Quinton Coples is moving to outside linebacker. The Jets need pass rushers and believe Coples can be more effective standing up. This has attracted a lot of media attention.

In Miami, there's already a question about where No. 3 overall pick Dion Jordan will play. General manager Jeff Ireland admits that Jordan could wind up as a linebacker in the team's base package.

New England's top pick this season, second-rounder Jamie Collins, can play both defensive end and outside linebacker. His arrival has folks in Boston wondering if the Patriots will use more 3-4 looks this season.

All the attention on projected position with these young pass rushers misses the point. All three players aren't going to just play one position or line up in one scheme. Their ability to play a variety of roles is precisely why they were drafted so high in the first place.

The lines between a 4-3 defense and 3-4 defense have eroded for years, and now have been all but erased. The terms are almost meaningless by now because the majority of NFL defenses are wildly multiple, transforming formations from snap-to-snap, week-to-week, season-to-season.

The changing schemes are starting to render our old position labels out of date. Coples isn't an outside linebacker, defensive end or defensive tackle. He's all three depending on the down.

Jordan and Collins aren't just linebackers or defensive linemen. They will be everywhere. They don't fit in a box.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...gn=Twitter_atl

I am a huge Coples fan and hope this move works. Only question is: why didn't we do this before? Lack of quality at dt in terms of mismatches?

If that's the case and Rex is so confident in what Richardson is adding to the dline that he can use Coples outside...that would speak a lot on what Rex thinks Shelly's upside will be vs. some of the guys we let go.

I remember when we drafted Coples a lot of folks expected him to start at olb and rex had to clarify that he wanted him with his hand in the dirt on the line. If we can get the best of both worlds, awesome.