Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: REPORT: Jets move Coples to OLB

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    this is overall the most talented defense he has had.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    BEASTLY Defense. This could turn out to be our Best D under Rex.

Hall Of Fame
    add Barnes rushing from the other side...garay in the middle and Richardson causing havoc in the interior....this defense is going to be scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleem View Post
    So says Steiny, who is generally reliable on everything but his Pro-Bowl Predictions for his practice squad pals. But I haven't seen it reported anywhere else yet.

This WOULD be a smart move for Idzik to make, however, for franchise tag reasons. Ravens did something similar with Suggs.

CB $10,854,000, $9,095,000
    DE $11,175,000, $9,151,000
    DT $8,450,000, $7,039,000
    LB $9,619,000, $8,358,000

As you can see, though, it would have been even smarter to label Coples a DT. But then, I'd presume, you'd actually have to line him up with his hand in the dirt on the inside for a certain number of snaps. I don't know what the NFL standard is, but the league does measure snaps played at different "positions" for tag purposes.

So in the very least, this indicates the Jets intend to use Coples on the outside a significant amount.

Our front 7 will be filled with youth and athleticism next season, finally...

DE-Muhammad Wilkerson
    NT-Kenrick Ellis
    DT-Sheldon Richardson
    OLB-Quinton Coples
    MLB-David Harris
    WLB-DeMario Davis
    OLB-Antwan Barnes/Calvin Pace.

We may finally have a pass rush, and our run defense should be better. Our secondary isn't bad either.

CB-Antonio Cromartie
    FS-Josh Bush, Antonio Allen
    SS-Dawan Landry
    CB-Dee Milliner
    CB-Kyle Wilson

Hall Of Fame
    most of us are kinda used to that around here....can't help it if people are clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    Don't say this it makes too much sense and you are bound to get criticised by people who think they know what they are talking about....but actually don't know $hit

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

With all of these young guys we are going to be so much faster than in the past. This offseason was the final purge of the Mangini read and react players. All of the players being brought in of late seem to have more of Rex's personality, they are aggressive and have that dawg in them. Barnes, Garay, Richardson, Milliner, Coples, Davis, Wilkerson are all very different than Pace and Thomas and other Mangini holdovers. These new players remind me of the kind of players I have always seen on Baltimore teams. It will be interesting to see Rex's scheme with his kind of players, aggressive and fast, running it. Coples will flourish in his new role. I'm looking forward to seeing this D in action.

Hall Of Fame
    Add that with some unique schemes.....I like the look of this.

Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post

DE-Muhammad Wilkerson
    NT-Kenrick Ellis
    DT-Sheldon Richardson
    OLB-Quinton Coples
    MLB-David Harris
    WLB-DeMario Davis

We may finally have a pass rush, and our run defense should be better. Our secondary isn't bad either.

CB-Antonio Cromartie
    SS-Dawan Landry
    CB-Dee Milliner
    CB-Kyle Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    Here are the combine reports for Coples and Aldon Smith

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...les?id=2532818

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...ith?id=2495487

Interesting to note that Coples, although weighing 20lbs heavier, posted an identical 40 time to Smith. Smith had better agility numbers, but he was 2" shorter and lighter.

I think if Coples drops some weight, he may be able to open some eyes from the edge.
    That's the one!! Plus his improved conditioning in the latter part of the season stood out, all the puppy fat's gone.

I'm beating a dead horse because I've posted this elsewhere, but there is a difference between a "true" 3-4 and the 3-4 that Rex uses as his base.

In a true 3-4, all the lineman are two-gap players, and there is a true nose tackle lined up in zero-tech over the center. Pittsburgh runs it.

In Baltimore-style 3-4s, it's basically a 4-3, except the "rush end" stands up. Lineman have one-gap responsibilities, and they are lined up between linemen. Instead of referring to Rex's defense as "multiple fronts" -- which is definitely true -- it may be more useful to use the term "hybrid front", because it won't have everyone thinking that Coples is going to be covering tight ends or crap like that.

Not surprising if true, but I still think we'll see a heavy dose of a 4 down line with Coples on the outside with Pace/Barnes on the other end more so than not.

All Pro
    I'm beating a dead horse because I've posted this elsewhere, but there is a difference between a "true" 3-4 and the 3-4 that Rex uses as his base.

In a true 3-4, all the lineman are two-gap players, and there is a true nose tackle lined up in zero-tech over the center. Pittsburgh runs it.

In Baltimore-style 3-4s, it's basically a 4-3, except the "rush end" stands up. Lineman have one-gap responsibilities, and they are lined up between linemen. Instead of referring to Rex's defense as "multiple fronts" -- which is definitely true -- it may be more useful to use the term "hybrid front", because it won't have everyone thinking that Coples is going to be covering tight ends or crap like that.
    People around here just want to be right. They don't want to be informed. If you add in that the rush end has the option to put his hand down if he wants then you'll really confuse them. Was that a 4-3? Also they move from a one gap to a two gap on different plays, or we could have the NT playing two gap "0", and the rest penetrating.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    That's the one!! Plus his improved conditioning in the latter part of the season stood out, all the puppy fat's gone.
    Yes this talk about Coples losing 20 lbs is pure speculation based on Rex saying he'll play standing up. I don't see any evidence that he has lost any weight since the end of last year. He's certainly more athletic than Pace.

Veteran

Excellent post. The terms 3-4 and 4-3 are useful because they're simple and easy to visualize, but they really don't help to explain what the Jets are going to do, especially since they, along with most other teams, will completely change their personnel on running and passing downs.

Coples will be an OLB only in the sense that he might rush from a standing position occasionally, but he won't be filling any of the traditional OLB roles like coverage; he's clearly the team's best pass rusher, and the Jets coaching staff knows that and won't waste his ability.

the versatility is the key here. and the secondary doesn't suck with milliner back there, along with whomever they may pick up for safeties. rex must love that he can generate a pass rush with his linemen here, finally. that' what made the ravens d so good, b/c they could blitz or put more back and have reed do damage.

All League
    Charter JI Member

And now that c!cksucker Florio chimes in with his usual slam:

Tell me Florio....which WR should they have picked at 13?

Jets moving Coples outside

Posted by Mike Florio on May 2, 2013, 8:37 AM EDT

Getty Images
    Jets fans balked last year, when the team picked linebacker Quinton Coples over linebacker Melvin Ingram in the first round of the draft.This year, itíll be easier to make a direct comparison between the two players.

According to Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com, the Jets plan to move Coples from defensive end to outside linebacker. Thatís the position Ingram plays for the Chargers.

Coples outperformed Ingram in 2012, despite playing a position less conducive to getting to the quarterback. Each player appeared in 16 games with two starts. Coples had 5.5 sacks while primarily playing interior defensive line in the 3-4; Ingram had only one sack as an outside linebacker.

The decision makes the teamís selection of defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson with the 13th overall pick in the draft a bit more understandable. The decision would make even more sense if Richardson loses 110 pounds and plays receiver.
    What a squirmy little POS.....

Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post

DE-Muhammad Wilkerson
    NT-Kenrick Ellis
    DT-Sheldon Richardson
    OLB-Quinton Coples
    MLB-David Harris
    WLB-DeMario Davis

CB-Antonio Cromartie
    SS-Dawan Landry
    CB-Dee Milliner
    CB-Kyle Wilson
    That is the BY FAR The most athletic defense we have had since Rex got here. Assuming guys like Demario/Richardson/Milliner are as good as they project we should be improved on defense.

Even our secondary, without Revis/L Landry/Bell is actually very solid.

Hall Of Fame

REPORT: Jets move Coples to OLB

Everyone knows Rex runs multiple fronts. This is not news and not what is being questioned. I may not speak for all those who are concerned but my issue is I want Coples moving forward every single play. If he is ever put in a position where there is a possibility he would have to drop that is a bad scheme IMO. I don't give a rats ass what he did at his pro day. He wasn't facing Tom Brady at his pro day. Teams will pick up on this and exploit it just like they did when they saw that Pace was in a scheme where he would have to drop back. The QBs can pretty much know our assignments based on how we are aligned. They can audible to exploit it. Despite what you guys think, Rex's schemes and alignments have not fooled anyone good in 3 years.

Then if the speculation about him being ask to lose weight is true that only makes things worse. Losing weight does not guarantee increased speed and athleticism. We learned this last year.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Hate this. They will end up moving him back and forth and mess up his development.

Thank God it is a Steiny report which means it is likely BS. Jets aren't this stupid.
    Jets did something and you hate it?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Yup. Typical Jet move. Take a promising young player and start screwing him up. Beautiful.
    As they did with...ugh.....who?

If he makes the pro bowl, you'll be all in, right? Love when people think they enough to think it can't work

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    I'm not sure why no one gets it. Then again you all seem to believe whatever you want, and don't seem to watch the games at all.

Okay. One more time. Coples plays in the weak side LB spot, which is the Rush LB/Edge setter. Previously the spot manned by Pace who is really a DE. This is not speculation, or a big mistake. Go back and watch the film. Coples was outstanding in this position last year, the last three games. Okay now that player has the option to put his hand down or stand up. You can call it a 4-3 if he's in a three point stance, but it changes nothing of the rest of the defense. He's not going to cover. He may drop back into a zone once in a while. He's not going to be there all the time, and we're in sub packages nowadays 50% of the time.
    Thank you. That's why Dunbar worded his statement the way he did. QC is not being moved to "traditional" OLB. This and Tackleem's post sum it up perfectly.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Jets did something and you hate it?

A little off topic but since when did you start hating Sanchez? You used to berate me for criticizing him.