Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: REPORT: Jets move Coples to OLB

REPORT: Jets move Coples to OLB

So says Steiny, who is generally reliable on everything but his Pro-Bowl Predictions for his practice squad pals. But I haven't seen it reported anywhere else yet.

This WOULD be a smart move for Idzik to make, however, for franchise tag reasons. Ravens did something similar with Suggs.

CB $10,854,000, $9,095,000
    DE $11,175,000, $9,151,000
    DT $8,450,000, $7,039,000
    LB $9,619,000, $8,358,000

As you can see, though, it would have been even smarter to label Coples a DT. But then, I'd presume, you'd actually have to line him up with his hand in the dirt on the inside for a certain number of snaps. I don't know what the NFL standard is, but the league does measure snaps played at different "positions" for tag purposes.

So in the very least, this indicates the Jets intend to use Coples on the outside a significant amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleem View Post
    So says Steiny, who is generally reliable on everything but his Pro-Bowl Predictions for his practice squad pals. But I haven't seen it reported anywhere else yet.

This WOULD be a smart move for Idzik to make, however, for franchise tag reasons. Ravens did something similar with Suggs.

CB $10,854,000, $9,095,000
    DE $11,175,000, $9,151,000
    DT $8,450,000, $7,039,000
    LB $9,619,000, $8,358,000

As you can see, though, it would have been even smarter to label Coples a DT. But then, I'd presume, you'd actually have to line him up with his hand in the dirt on the inside for a certain number of snaps. I don't know what the NFL standard is, but the league does measure snaps played at different "positions" for tag purposes.

So in the very least, this indicates the Jets intend to use Coples on the outside a significant amount.
    I called it the day we drafted Richardson.

He wont play exclusively at OLB but will have a bigger role there and I could see him dropping a little weight to play there.
    Last edited by Ray Ray19; 05-01-2013 at 06:35 PM.

Coples is a beast with more upside than MoWilk (imo) and can play just about anywhere on the front 7. Personally, i think he is best suited to play DL, but I am sure he can handle a few series at OLB to get Richardson on the field.

Undrafted Free Agent
    I actually like this. He can play like Clay Matthews and just pin his ears back and rush the QB. More snaps for everyone on the DL too, strength of the defense.

Hall Of Fame
    BEASTLY Defense. This could turn out to be our Best D under Rex.

If this is true, then the Richardson pick makes more sense. Not sure if Coples can play OLB, but we shall find out. Hope it works out for us, as we desperately need some pass rush

Hall Of Fame
    Hate this. They will end up moving him back and forth and mess up his development.

Thank God it is a Steiny report which means it is likely BS. Jets aren't this stupid.

All League
    It came from Karl Dunbar on twitter when someone asked if they were switching base fronts. It ultimately doesn't matter since they change fronts depending on the look.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar
    Timmy what's 3+4 and 4+3? So it doesn't matter to us! He will be on the field! Players make it happen and so does REX! W/DT

Rex is like a mad scientist with his fronts. I hope the kid learns OLB, it would do well for his flexibility.

If I recall, Rex said last year that they would move him all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post
    If this is true, then the Richardson pick makes more sense. Not sure if Coples can play OLB, but we shall find out. Hope it works out for us, as we desperately need some pass rush
    Rex worked coples out at OlB before last yrs draft and was quite impressed he did not tire...Rex was impressed he could play both spots at ease. Was smart to not throw two positions at him in yr 1, excited to see his progress in yr 2.

All Pro
    He played weak side LB much of the last three games last year.

All Pro
    When i called for the Jets to draft Coples on last year it was to play OLBer, not DT.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Hate this. They will end up moving him back and forth and mess up his development.

Thank God it is a Steiny report which means it is likely BS. Jets aren't this stupid.

Yup. Typical Jet move. Take a promising young player and start screwing him up. Beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Jets aren't this stupid.
    Of course they aren't. They have a great track record of not being this stupid.

I honestly cant think of anything more ridiculous then asking coples to try to play OLB in any traditional sense of the position - he is 290+lbs and 6'6 why stand him up?

This wreaks of Steiny throwing crap at the wall and then when coples lines up at DE he will say he was correct. Suggs played over 90% of his snaps with his hand on the ground, and because the defensive line with be very versatile he will definitely line up at DE, but to say he is "converting" is crazy.

Asking him to be lighter and possibly give up strength would take away his advantage, not to mention quickness off the snap is his best attribute which would also be taken away if we stood him up.

That whole SNY crew is atrocious

All League
    Contrary to popular belief, message board cretins are a much better judge of proper defensive line ability and usage than Rex Ryan and Karl Dunbar.

Jets need like 8 DLmen to run 4-3 properly.. U need backups and the jets only have enough backups for the 3-4.

3-4 defense

Coples DE
    Wilkerson DE
    Richardson DE/LB lol!!! Luv it up
    Garey NT
    Harrison NT
    Ellis NT/DE

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by ozu View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, message board cretins are a much better judge of proper defensive line ability and usage than Rex Ryan and Karl Dunbar.
    LOL...every cretin on JI know what's best for the team. I'm watching the draft and am saying don't these guys know nottin'. Now it all seems to make sense.

All Pro
    I'm not sure why no one gets it. Then again you all seem to believe whatever you want, and don't seem to watch the games at all.

Okay. One more time. Coples plays in the weak side LB spot, which is the Rush LB/Edge setter. Previously the spot manned by Pace who is really a DE. This is not speculation, or a big mistake. Go back and watch the film. Coples was outstanding in this position last year, the last three games. Okay now that player has the option to put his hand down or stand up. You can call it a 4-3 if he's in a three point stance, but it changes nothing of the rest of the defense. He's not going to cover. He may drop back into a zone once in a while. He's not going to be there all the time, and we're in sub packages nowadays 50% of the time.
    Last edited by NY's stepchild; 05-01-2013 at 09:09 PM.