Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Why Geno was not taken early in draft

Practice Squad
    Oswego County, Upstate NY, USA with my wife and family.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Geno has a 1 year audition. If he blows it, we will be picking at the top of the draft in 2014 and will take another qb.
    LOL!

...wait... not sure if serious.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotch View Post
    Geno got drafted where he did for a combination of reasons:

1. The Russell Wilson pick put the idea into GMs heads that there's always QB value to be round in later rounds.

2. Because so many teams have been QB-crazy last few years, not that many teams needed a starting QB

3. The Bills have no idea how the NFL draft works

4. Not playing in Senior Bowl + poor interview preparation saw Geno drop down the board (and subsequently he fired his representation bc of this)

5. West Virginia's inconsistency vs. good teams this past season
    Add to that the fact that teams have reached way too early on QBs in the top 10 recently (Gabbert, Ponder, Locker).

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Add to that the fact that teams have reached way too early on QBs in the top 10 recently (Gabbert, Ponder, Locker).
    Sanchez

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Why is Geno being given only one year to prove himself?

Wouldn't you give him 3 years before giving up if he has not developed into what we expect?
    Because Geno wouldn't even be in the Top 5 of best QB's in next years draft.

The Carolina Panthers selected Jimmy Clauson in the second round the year before they took Cam Newton #1 overall. The Jets could follow suit by selecting Manziel, Bridgewater, Boyd, Murray or Fales.

Geno is by no means the definite future of this franchise.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post

The Carolina Panthers selected Jimmy Clauson in the second round the year before they took Cam Newton #1 overall. The Jets could follow suit by selecting Manziel, Bridgewater, Boyd, Murray or Fales.

No offense but that's not your call to make. Unfortunately, it will end up once again being Rex Ryan's.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GangGreenAFFLICTION View Post
    I like the pick.

Worry about hand size and ball control. Hope we develop him well.

I will give him all the chances needed.
    I think we'll have a high draft pick again and hope that drafting geno doesn't mean that the FO won't pull the trigger on Bridgewater next year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    No offense but that's not your call to make. Unfortunately, it will end up once again being Rex Ryan's.
    Once Rex is shown the door after this season it won't be - and if he isn't shown the door after three straight seasons of missing the postseason then it may be time to re-evaluate Mr. Idzik.

Geno could be, but he isn't definitely the future of the franchise. Jets could very well go QB in the Top 10 again next year - that's all I'm saying.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Fine with Geno starting

Fine with Garrard starting

Fine with McElroy starting

Fine with Simms starting

four good alternatives
    If Simms starts, God help us all.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    If Fumblechez starts, God help us all.
    fixed

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    Everybody knows the Jets picked Geno so they can go 3-13 and get their franchise QB next season. But if that's the worst scenario we are in good shape. Just don't go 7-9 or 6-10 again. Either make it 3-13 or 9-7 or better.
    Is the kid a football player or a preppie snob? Let Wilkerson and Couples ring his bell a few times and see how he holds up. I would love to see them first few hits of training camp.
    I don't think he's going to get tackled a lot in practice. He gets to wear a red jersey.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can we at least let the guy get to OTAs and training camp and play a little bit before every move he makes is analyzed to death?

One of the same "genius" GMs that passed on him will go into this season with Blaine Gabbert as his #1. Another will go with a beyond washed up Carson Palmer. Another is giving turnover machine Vick another chance. Another signed Kevin Kolb and took the #5 QB prospect at #16. These GMs are not all geniuses, many will be fired within the next few seasons.

Them passing on Smith isn't necessarily an indictment of him, it's more an indictment of them. That's how I'd look at it...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FTL Jet Fan View Post
    Jason Cole is a total A hole he is on local Miami radio stations every week. This guys loves to bash the Jets and does it everytime he is the air. He has been bashing Geno since the jets drafted him. He is trying to ruin this kids career before it starts, believe me he has an agenda.
    He is a total Dolphins homer. It so pathetic down here the way the sports media is so obsessed with the Jets
    This is helpful information.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by houyx View Post
    I'm not sure about that. Unfortunately, he doesn't look like the type of QB that has fire in his belly. That's why I don't think he will ever be elite.
    I don't know how you reached that conclusion. He seems to me thin-skinned but also extremely motivated to succeed.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    If Simms starts, God help us all.
    Simms? I would be more nervous with Mcelroy starting. Either way, our only real options at QB are Smith/Sanchez/Garrad end of story. I'm not even comfortble with Mcelroy as our backup QB.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Can we at least let the guy get to OTAs and training camp and play a little bit before every move he makes is analyzed to death?

One of the same "genius" GMs that passed on him will go into this season with Blaine Gabbert as his #1. Another will go with a beyond washed up Carson Palmer. Another is giving turnover machine Vick another chance. Another signed Kevin Kolb and took the #5 QB prospect at #16. These GMs are not all geniuses, many will be fired within the next few seasons.

Them passing on Smith isn't necessarily an indictment of him, it's more an indictment of them. That's how I'd look at it...
    Welcome to NY...and being a QB drafted high

I'd say that QB ranking is subjective.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Really...... so being calm and collect while putting up 50 points a game is a bad thing?

I am all for this kid with a 2nd. A 1st, Id be unhappy, but a 2nd well worth the risk.
    +1

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Welcome to NY...and being a QB drafted high

I'd say that QB ranking is subjective.
    Whats funny is that people are making such a big deal of the Jets having 5 QBs on their roster, when Philly has 5 QBs on their roster as well and there is zero mention of it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post

Highly doubtful. Next years QB class looks weaker then this years did.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Whats funny is that people are making such a big deal of the Jets having 5 QBs on their roster, when Philly has 5 QBs on their roster as well and there is zero mention of it.
    Agreed..It's May 2nd..What's the big deal. If they have 5 QBs on their roster Sept 10th then that's a major story.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Agreed..It's May 2nd..What's the big deal. If they have 5 QBs on their roster Sept 10th then that's a major story.
    one big problem the jets have is there aren't other teams messing up. the bengals have turned things around, the raiders got rid of palmer and there just aren't other teams to bash. the media needs a pinata and if it's not the jets, who is it?