Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Geno was not taken early in draft

Quote Originally Posted by GangGreenAFFLICTION View Post
    I like the pick.

Worry about hand size and ball control. Hope we develop him well.

I will give him all the chances needed.
    Agreed. However, I felt that way about Mark after 2009 began.

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    The bigger the grip the less likely to fumble in bad weather etc. It can be somewhat of a factor.
    Hasn't helped ButtFumble much.

The Geno hate is out of control. It seriously comes off as a bunch of executives losing a game and being incredibly petty poor sports

Did Kellen Clemens kill us? Were we set back for years because of him? Because essentially this is the same situation.

Everybody knows the Jets picked Geno so they can go 3-13 and get their franchise QB next season. But if that's the worst scenario we are in good shape. Just don't go 7-9 or 6-10 again. Either make it 3-13 or 9-7 or better.
    Is the kid a football player or a preppie snob? Let Wilkerson and Couples ring his bell a few times and see how he holds up. I would love to see them first few hits of training camp.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Geno.
    lol

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    The bigger the grip the less likely to fumble in bad weather etc. It can be somewhat of a factor.
    Sanchez has big hands it hasn't helped him much..

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    While Geno Smith has declared that his decision to fire his agents was not a result of his dropping to the second round of the draft, sources from NFL teams have revealed other reasons why one of the draft’s highest-rated quarterbacks found himself stuck in the green room Thursday night.

Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports reports via sources that Smith acted aloof, disengaged and displayed a general bad attitude during pre-draft meetings. Sources were critical of Smith spending much of his visits on the phone, reading Twitter and texting friends.

From Yahoo! Sports:

“All these other players who were in there were talking to the coaches, trying to get to know people and he was over there by himself,” one source said. “That’s not what you want out of your quarterback.”

He doesn’t have much presence, not much of a leader,” one executive who studied Smith said. “I don’t think he’s a bad person, but that’s not enough to be a quarterback in this league.”

Cole’s report also includes reports of Smith, two days before the draft, toasting and thanking his agents, calling them “family” and saying they would represent him his entire career.

His biggest problem is that he doesn’t know what he doesn’t know,” said a league executive, who spent extensive time assessing Smith before the draft. “I’m not sure he knows how to take instruction because he pretty much wouldn’t listen or talk to our coaches … he’s talented. He can sling it, he can fit it into tight spots, he can do a lot of things and I think he wants to be good. But you can’t tell him anything right now. He’s tuned out because he thinks he’s got it all down.

Deadspin’s Barry Petchesky cited a person close to Smith as saying his decision to fire his agents was based on the agency’s failure to successfully promote his value when it became apparent he might fall out of the first round. Smith was also unhappy with the negative fallout from not playing in the Senior Bowl — a decision his agents pushed.

Smith, taken by the Jets in the second round, said his goal is to become the team’s “franchise quarterback” but realizes that he has a lot of work to do.
    Very scary words. Sounds like they are describing Ryan Leaf. Cole is a quality investigative journalist. I'm officially worried.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Lots of red flags on this kid already, really glad we only used a 2nd on him

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Lots of red flags on this kid already, really glad we only used a 2nd on him
    Bingo!

Not only just a second round pick but they will not have to break the bank to pay him either. Hope he succeeds, and he has a chance because he is talented, but there are red flags.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    Bingo!

Not only just a second round pick but they will not have to break the bank to pay him either. Hope he succeeds, and he has a chance because he is talented, but there are red flags.
    He was the third player we picked, plays the most important position on the field, and under the new CBA we'll pay him based on his #39 slot. The Jets will have at least 3 years to assess him and see what he can become before we'd really have to pay him. In my opinion there isn't a ton of risk here. Geno is a bit of a lottery ticket. If he works out and becomes a starting QB then we hit big time! If he doesn't, then the Jets took a reasonable shot at finding a franchise QB and will have wasted a pick similar to the one we used on Ducasse. The risk/reward is exactly right....2nd rounder and we didn't trade up. Even if Geno completely tanks and isn't a QB in the NFL in 3 years I'd have zero problem with how Idzik used that pick.

None of that is really news. His personality prior to the draft was under heavy attack. I think the bottom line is yes he isnt a bad guy. I dont think he will ever be the medias lover boy but that doesnt make him a bad leader on the field or a bad player. We did get a bargain talent wise.

Jets Insider VIP
    more media crap sourced by unnamed "league executives"

If he had been drafted in the second round by the Shats these same media asskissers would have been lauding the pick as "the absolute steal of the draft and another fine example of the genius of Bill Beli-ache"

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Geno has a 1 year audition. If he blows it, we will be picking at the top of the draft in 2014 and will take another qb.
    I agree. Bridgewater awaits,

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    He was the third player we picked, plays the most important position on the field, and under the new CBA we'll pay him based on his #39 slot. The Jets will have at least 3 years to assess him and see what he can become before we'd really have to pay him. In my opinion there isn't a ton of risk here. Geno is a bit of a lottery ticket. If he works out and becomes a starting QB then we hit big time! If he doesn't, then the Jets took a reasonable shot at finding a franchise QB and will have wasted a pick similar to the one we used on Ducasse. The risk/reward is exactly right....2nd rounder and we didn't trade up. Even if Geno completely tanks and isn't a QB in the NFL in 3 years I'd have zero problem with how Idzik used that pick.
    This is precisely why you don't start Smith right away.

IMO you dont risk your team with a potential head case until you are sure he is stable enough for the franchise or you will be doing the same thing again in four years.

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Frankly I take more stock in what Mayock and Kiper say than some "unknown executive".

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    This is precisely why you don't start Smith right away.

IMO you dont risk your team with a potential head case until you are sure he is stable enough for the franchise or you will be doing the same thing again in four years.
    +1

Been there, done that, haven't we?

Half the people think he's an ego filled jerk who won't take advice from anyone and cries whenever anyone criticizes him and the other half think the media is just piling on him too much and he'll be a good, maybe even great, QB.

Time to sit back and watch it play out because the talk is already tiresome.

Can't wait to see him on the field in the NFL, because from what I witnessed from watching a handful of WVU games this season, after the Texas Longhorns game, I came away unimpressed - but boy was he good in that game. Inconsistent.

Hall Of Fame
    I generally stay away from these threads because some folks can get a little emotional in their support of the player. The truth is that we do not know with Smith the same way that we never really know with any draft pick until things play out.

With all of that said, the ENTIRE article struck me as being very well written and certainly worth a read. There are more red flags than those posted in the OP. So at the risk of pulling a Kelly...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--ge...183846651.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Less than a week after the New York Jets picked Geno Smith in the second round of the NFL draft, the quarterback is still under great scrutiny in league circles.

Reports surfaced Tuesday that Smith fired agents Jeff Nalley and Eric Burkhardt of Select Sports Group. While Smith has publicly denied that it had anything to do with his falling out of the draft's first round last week, there are indications to the contrary.

Geno Smith speaks during the Jets' introductory news conference Saturday. (AP)On April 23, Smith, his agents, some family members and several friends gathered for dinner in New York in advance of the draft, a gathering confirmed by a family member. At one point, everyone around the table stood to give a toast to celebrate the evening.

Smith went last, thanking everyone and declaring that entire group – his agents included – were a "family" that would stay together his entire career, if not the rest of his life, the sources said. Smith, who at one point was expecting to be the No. 1 overall pick and at least a top 10 selection, has big plans for his career. Smith, according to the sources, hopes to emulate players such as Peyton Manning, Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers, putting himself cut above the rest of the quarterback fray.

The problem is that NFL types see a guy who, right now, doesn't understand how to get there.

"His biggest problem is that he doesn't know what he doesn't know," said a league executive, who spent extensive time assessing Smith before the draft. "I'm not sure he knows how to take instruction because he pretty much wouldn't listen or talk to our coaches … he's talented. He can sling it, he can fit it into tight spots, he can do a lot of things and I think he wants to be good. But you can't tell him anything right now. He's tuned out because he thinks he's got it all down.
    "

[More: Possible Top 10 for the 2014 NFL draft | Photos]

When Smith was asked on a radio show Tuesday about firing his agents, he claimed the decision wasn't based on when he was drafted. When pressed, however, he didn't give a reason.

"I don't want to shed too much light on it," Smith told SiriusXM NFL Radio. "The thing that I can tell you is that it's not because of the whole draft experience. It's not because of one particular incident. There's a number of things. And that story, you know, that battle will be fought on a different day. As of right now I don't feel too comfortable talking about all the details of it."

Smith did not respond to Yahoo! Sports' attempt to get a comment on the situation.

As for Select Sports, the firm issued a statement defending its work and wishing Smith well.

"We worked tirelessly for Geno Smith and all of our draft prospects," the firm said in its statement. "The NFL draft is unpredictable, and we prepared Geno and all of our draft prospects, as we do every year, about what can happen during the draft.

"Not only did we tell him that what transpired on the first day of the draft was possible, the question of whether Geno would be a first- or second-round pick was arguably the most talked about subject in the three months leading up to the draft. We wish Geno the best."

One possible factor in Smith dropping to the second round is a concern about leadership.

[More: 2013 AFC draft grades | NFC]

"He doesn't have much presence, not much of a leader," said another league executive, who spent a great deal of time studying Smith before the draft. "I don't think he's a bad person, but that's not enough to be a quarterback in this league."

Two sources indicated that when Smith went on some visits to teams, rather than interact with coaches and front-office people, he would spend much of his time on his cell phone. Instead of being engaged with team officials, he would be texting friends or reading Twitter or a number of other distracting activities.

"All these other players who were in there were talking to the coaches, trying to get to know people and he was over there by himself," one of the sources said. "That's not what you want out of your quarterback."

Both sources indicated that Florida State's E.J. Manuel, who was selected ahead of Smith at No. 16 overall by Buffalo, was far more impressive in terms of his personality and maturity.

Geno Smith threw for 4,205 yards for West Virginia last season. (Getty) "Manuel gets it, he gets the whole big picture of what it takes to lead a team," one of the league executives said.

Smith opened himself up to criticism when he told ESPN last Thursday that he wasn't sticking around for Friday's second round after getting bypassed in the first. Smith then changed his mind, saying Friday that he returned after his "supporters" convinced him to stay.

By Sunday, Smith was being convinced by other friends that it was the fault of his agents that he slipped so much in the draft, according to one of the sources.

"Right now, he's blaming everybody but himself and he has some buddies around him who are telling him that same thing," the source said.

Two of the sources said how Smith reacts to things could be a major factor for him as he tries to take over for Mark Sanchez in New York. The Jets clearly want to move on after four years with Sanchez, including a league-leading 52 turnovers over the past two seasons.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Did Kellen Clemens kill us? Were we set back for years because of him? Because essentially this is the same situation.
    +1

The only difference is that Geno was viewed as the top QB in the draft -- we have maximum upside with very little risk here. If he's a disaster we don't need to keep playing him like Sanchez. We can dump him almost immediately if it makes sense to.

So we drafted a potentially unlikeable qb who studies his butt off and lives football with high expectations of himself with a low key personality?

I don't view that as bad.
    He holds himself accountable will hold his teammates accountable and won't spare feelings if it means winning?

I'm ok with that. His rough edges will be shaved down once he gets more into the program and learns to be an NFL qb

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2