Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Geno was not taken early in draft

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    Does anyone really care if Geno is dumb, arrogant or has bad taste in clothes or agents? The Jets built their one SB around a drunk QB. The Giants built 2 SB teams around a coke addict at LB.

If the guy can show up and play I couldn't care less about his brains, arrogance or anything else.
    /thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    You sound like the kind of poster that never watched West Virginia play and is basing it all speculation.

Geno has plenty of fire in his belly. He won't fail for lack of desire and work effort.
    I've watched a few of his games. Never seen him get fired up once.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    I guess a few of you have forgotten the John Elway and Elli Manning sagas where they "childlishly" demanded to play for certain teams before the draft. I didn't follow their careers, but I assume they didn't amount to much because they acted, in some people's eyes, like spoiled brats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    Does anyone really care if Geno is dumb, arrogant or has bad taste in clothes or agents? The Jets built their one SB around a drunk QB. The Giants built 2 SB teams around a coke addict at LB.

If the guy can show up and play I couldn't care less about his brains, arrogance or anything else.
    Big +1 to these. Sure, this info about Geno can be interpreted as warning flags, but so many players have had warning flags in regard to their personalities and gone on to great careers.

As long as Geno doesn't pull a Lawrence Phillips, I'll let his play on the field speak before applying any weight to his character concerns.

He's a 2nd rounder.

We took Kellen Clemens in the 2nd round and Jets fans lauded his "potential" for years, until it became apparent the dude sucked.

All Geno has to do to be worth the pick is be better than Clemens.

Nothing about taking Geno precludes us from taking a QB in R1 next year if one of the highly touted prospects is there for us.

Always look to cultivate talent at QB. Having one is never enough. Teams go from good to great by getting rich at the QB position.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Can one of the unemployed internet GM/Scouts please explain why Joe Montana, arguably the greatest QB in the history of the game fell to the 3rd round? I would love to hear why this crew and their fellow geniuses felt he would fall short, where and how he lacked the talent or fire to succeed.

Feel free to explain Brady in the 6th or Unitas in the 9th.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Can one of the unemployed internet GM/Scouts please explain why Joe Montana, arguably the greatest QB in the history of the game fell to the 3rd round? I would love to hear why this crew and their fellow geniuses felt he would fall short, where and how he lacked the talent or fire to succeed.

Pretty sure none of those QBs you reference dropped because of questions regarding attitude / leadership concerns, an important requirement of a NFL QB.

Now how Smith's career turns out in the NFL? TBD

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by houyx View Post
    I've watched a few of his games. Never seen him get fired up once.
    Really...... so being calm and collect while putting up 50 points a game is a bad thing?

I am all for this kid with a 2nd. A 1st, Id be unhappy, but a 2nd well worth the risk.

Come on. None of that has anything to do with Geno Smith, or can be used as any sort of indicator of success.

Mid-late round QB's who turn out to be stars are the exception and not the rule (you didn't list the dozens of QBs who weren't drafted high and turned out to be nothing). It's just a dumb diversionary tactic away from the central theme of the story.

Geno, like any other prospect, has legit barriers to success. We made a bet with mitigated risk. If it pans out, we got a dynamic steal at the most important position in the game. If it doesn't, we'll move on with little near-term or long-term consequence.

Hall Of Fame

"He can thread the needle, but usually goes with his primary receiver and forces the ball to him even when he's in a crowd. He's a gutty, gambling, cocky type. Doesn't have great tools, but could eventually start.". Scouting report on Joe Montana at the combine prior to the 1979 NFL Draft.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    more media crap sourced by unnamed "league executives"

If he had been drafted in the second round by the Shats these same media asskissers would have been lauding the pick as "the absolute steal of the draft and another fine example of the genius of Bill Beli-ache"
    This right here.

Perhaps this league executive was someone from the Pats, the Phins or the Bills who gain a competitive edge in the division the more controversy they can generate to surround the Jets.

Frankly though, I'm really getting fed up with the lets turn over every rock we can mentality of the media to find something the bash the Jets on.

Why is Geno being given only one year to prove himself?

Wouldn't you give him 3 years before giving up if he has not developed into what we expect?

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    "He can thread the needle, but usually goes with his primary receiver and forces the ball to him even when he's in a crowd. He's a gutty, gambling, cocky type. Doesn't have great tools, but could eventually start.". Scouting report on Joe Montana at the combine prior to the 1979 NFL Draft.
    Damn..As usual, sec.101 delivers!

Hall Of Fame

In order for any player to fall to the third round it means that every single team in the NFL did not think they were worth the pick at least two times. While many here on these boards think that they are experts, the people who are actually paid millions of dollars a year to make those decisions are the real experts and they passed on Joe Montana. This year Smith was passed over 38 times by the most qualified people on the planet and a few years ago all 32 teams passed on Tom Brady at least six times (discounting trades). Six times each! Drafting is not a science. It is highly inexact and all manner of different factors have been shown over time to be good indicators of a player's chances at the next level.

Players fall for a variety of reasons. These stories appear to provide us with at least some explanations for why EVERY team in the NFL with a first round pick passed on Smith. Some teams passed on him twice.

None of this means that Smith cannot turn it around and prove wrong everyone who passed on him, just like Aaron Rogers did, but "it ain't nothing either". Perhaps you are just not seeing that.

Oddly enough the same group of people who year after year discount any negative stories about any of our picks are the same people who will crow loudly over any positive press no matter what the source. Some posters have opinions so pliable that they will describe the same writer both as a hack with an agenda and an insightful analyst in the same thread.

We don't know on Smith but these stories are mildly troubling. Period.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Damn..As usual, sec.101 delivers!
    I am guessing the 1979 combine and draft didnt receive the amount of attention that this years did. Montana didnt "fall" he was picked where he was supposed to go.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    This right here.

Perhaps this league executive was someone from the Pats, the Phins or the Bills who gain a competitive edge in the division the more controversy they can generate to surround the Jets.

Frankly though, I'm really getting fed up with the lets turn over every rock we can mentality of the media to find something the bash the Jets on.
    How?

And Tony Pauline, who used to post here, reported it too.

People need to relax with the "oh the media is against the Jets" crap..

He was reportedly the #1 QB going into the draft, a potential Top 10 pick, who dropped to the 2nd round and picked by a NY team with an unsettled QB position..

Of course there is going to be media focus, especially after the reports came out, many, many hours before the Jets even selected him, that Geno was going to go home after not being picked in the 1st round and then "decided" to come back for Day 2. Add to it he then fires his agents..

I am guessing the 1979 combine and draft didnt receive the amount of attention that this years did. Montana didnt "fall" he was picked where he was supposed to go.
    Mel Kiper's hair and ESPN didn't exist in '79

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    In order for any player to fall to the third round it means that every single team in the NFL did not think they were worth the pick at least two times. While many here on these boards think that they are experts, the people who are actually paid millions of dollars a year to make those decisions are the real experts and they passed on Joe Montana. This year Smith was passed over 38 times by the most qualified people on the planet and a few years ago all 32 teams passed on Tom Brady at least six times (discounting trades). Six times each! Drafting is not a science. It is highly inexact and all manner of different factors have been shown over time to be good indicators of a player's chances at the next level.

Players fall for a variety of reasons. These stories appear to provide us with at least some explanations for why EVERY team in the NFL with a first round pick passed on Smith. Some teams passed on him twice.

None of this means that Smith cannot turn it around and prove wrong everyone who passed on him, just like Aaron Rogers did, but "it ain't nothing either". Perhaps you are just not seeing that.

Oddly enough the same group of people who year after year discount any negative stories about any of our picks are the same people who will crow loudly over any positive press no matter what the source. Some posters have opinions so pliable that they will describe the same writer both as a hack with an agenda and an insightful analyst in the same thread.

We don't know on Smith but these stories are mildly troubling. Period.
    Right. Could this stuff be overblown? Possibly.

But it's not completely fabricated. He can overcome it by growing, changing or proving that his shortcomings are obsolete as relates to his success as a QB. But why just completely discredit the reports because they aren't rosy?

Every prospect has flaws.

Jets Insider VIP
    WOW. A Montana comparison????

Could you imagine.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    WOW. A Montana comparison????

Could you imagine.
    I was in no way shape or form comparing the two. Jet Nut brought up Montana falling to the 3rd round, I simply showed his scouting report to explain why Montana was thought of a 3rd round prospect.

Geno got drafted where he did for a combination of reasons:

1. The Russell Wilson pick put the idea into GMs heads that there's always QB value to be round in later rounds.

2. Because so many teams have been QB-crazy last few years, not that many teams needed a starting QB

3. The Bills have no idea how the NFL draft works

4. Not playing in Senior Bowl + poor interview preparation saw Geno drop down the board (and subsequently he fired his representation bc of this)

5. West Virginia's inconsistency vs. good teams this past season