Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Why Geno was not taken early in draft

Hall Of Fame
    Geno Smith camp shares details on decision to fire agents
    Posted by Mike Florio on May 2, 2013, 11:03 AM EDT

New Jets quarterback Geno Smith didn’t have much to say about his decision to change agents only days after the draft. Someone close to Smith has since said plenty more.

Barry Petchesky of Deadspin has spoken to a person in the Smith camp, who has shared some details regarding the decision to ditch Select Sports Group. The source says that the agents “absolutely” told Smith he’d be the first overall pick in the draft, but that the promise came at the outset of the process — surely before the first-pick-possessing Chiefs traded a high second-round pick and a 2014 selection for quarterback Alex Smith.

The bigger issue, per the source, is that Smith believes the agency “handled” him like a “potential high pick,” failing to do things that could have pushed his stock higher.

One sticking point seems to be the decision to keep Smith out of the Senior Bowl. Of course, it’s possible that Smith could have hurt himself — literally and figuratively — by spending the week in Mobile against top competition and under the eye of constant coaching and scouting. Then there’s the reality that fellow former West Virginia quarterback Pat White was the MVP of the 2009 Senior Bowl, went five spots later than Smith, and ended up out of the league after only one season.

Smith also was “disappointed” that the agents didn’t do more to combat the negative scouting report from Pro Football Weekly. Likewise, Smith felt “betrayed” that other clients of the firm signed with the Bills (Kevin Kolb) and the Chiefs (Chase Daniel), which while likely off the mark in this specific case means that Smith is one of the rare athletes who is actually troubled by the rampant conflicts of interest inherent to the agent business.

“He just felt like he needed a change, and that’s the end of the story,” the source ultimately told Petchesky. Still, the problem is the timing. Coming in the immediate wake of the draft, it appears to the casual, neutral observer that Smith was simply reacting to the fact that he fell from round one to pick No. 39, blaming someone other than himself for the slide.

And now that Smith must wait five days to sign a new agent, there’s no one to currently combat Jason Cole’s report that Smith displayed a bad attitude in pre-draft meetings.

Undrafted Free Agent
    In 4 years at WVU he had no off the field incidents. He's always come across as quiet and humble. He's a team player....even when he was being told he was a shoe in for the Heisman. He is beloved in one of the most racist states in the country. If for some reason he doesn't pan out in the NFL, he could probably run for Governor of WV

I think he fired his agent for the bang up PR job they did

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Geno Smith camp shares details on decision to fire agents
    Posted by Mike Florio on May 2, 2013, 11:03 AM EDT

New Jets quarterback Geno Smith didn’t have much to say about his decision to change agents only days after the draft. Someone close to Smith has since said plenty more.

Barry Petchesky of Deadspin has spoken to a person in the Smith camp, who has shared some details regarding the decision to ditch Select Sports Group. The source says that the agents “absolutely” told Smith he’d be the first overall pick in the draft, but that the promise came at the outset of the process — surely before the first-pick-possessing Chiefs traded a high second-round pick and a 2014 selection for quarterback Alex Smith.

The bigger issue, per the source, is that Smith believes the agency “handled” him like a “potential high pick,” failing to do things that could have pushed his stock higher.

One sticking point seems to be the decision to keep Smith out of the Senior Bowl. Of course, it’s possible that Smith could have hurt himself — literally and figuratively — by spending the week in Mobile against top competition and under the eye of constant coaching and scouting. Then there’s the reality that fellow former West Virginia quarterback Pat White was the MVP of the 2009 Senior Bowl, went five spots later than Smith, and ended up out of the league after only one season.

Smith also was “disappointed” that the agents didn’t do more to combat the negative scouting report from Pro Football Weekly. Likewise, Smith felt “betrayed” that other clients of the firm signed with the Bills (Kevin Kolb) and the Chiefs (Chase Daniel), which while likely off the mark in this specific case means that Smith is one of the rare athletes who is actually troubled by the rampant conflicts of interest inherent to the agent business.

“He just felt like he needed a change, and that’s the end of the story,” the source ultimately told Petchesky. Still, the problem is the timing. Coming in the immediate wake of the draft, it appears to the casual, neutral observer that Smith was simply reacting to the fact that he fell from round one to pick No. 39, blaming someone other than himself for the slide.

And now that Smith must wait five days to sign a new agent, there’s no one to currently combat Jason Cole’s report that Smith displayed a bad attitude in pre-draft meetings.

I didn't really form an opinion about this before but in reading this (from their camp ), I have to say that if reports of him texting during interviews and ignoring people is true (I understand that's from unnamed sources BTW), then he hurt his own stock. Everything else seems to be his own speculation about how well he was told/thought about his place in the draft.

I think the bottom line that I've learned in life and he needs to learn is that until he sees it in writing (announced in this case), it's not true.

I hope he learns the right lesson from this and puts these distractions behind him.

Quote Originally Posted by wvjet View Post
    In 4 years at WVU he had no off the field incidents. He's always come across as quiet and humble. He's a team player....even when he was being told he was a shoe in for the Heisman. He is beloved in one of the most racist states in the country. If for some reason he doesn't pan out in the NFL, he could probably run for Governor of WV

I think he fired his agent for the bang up PR job they did
    There was a lot of negative opinions well before the draft. Mostly related to his sense of entitlement. His bad attitude. And doubts to his ability to be a pro QB in the NFL. Here's one especially bad write-up...

I'd chalk this one up to attack journalism but I'd read others with similar concerns and opinions.

Nawrocki provides scathing assessment of Geno Smith
    Posted by Mike Florio on April 1, 2013, 4:24 PM EDT
    Geno Smith AP

Two years ago, draft expert Nolan Nawrocki of Pro Football Weekly created a stir with a biting critique of quarterback Cam Newton, the No. 1 overall pick in the draft.

“Very disingenuous — has a fake smile, comes off as very scripted and has a selfish, me-first makeup,” Nawrocki wrote. “Always knows where the cameras are and plays to them. Has an enormous ego with a sense of entitlement that continually invites trouble and makes him believe he is above the law — does not command respect from teammates and will always struggle to win a locker room . . . . Lacks accountability, focus and trustworthiness — is not punctual, seeks shortcuts and sets a bad example. Immature and has had issues with authority. Not dependable.”

Nawrocki has now issued scouting reports for Geno Smith and Matt Barkley, regarded as the top two quarterback prospects in this year’s draft. And at a time when many believe Smith will be taken before Barkley, Nawrocki calls Barkley a first-round pick and Smith merely a “top-50 pick.”

Apart from Nawrocki’s critique of Smith’s mechanics, Nawrocki adds this assessment of Smith: “Not a student of the game. Nonchalant field presence — does not command respect from teammates and cannot inspire. Mild practice demeanor — no urgency. Not committed or focused — marginal work ethic. Interviewed poorly at the Combine and did not show an understanding of concepts on the white board. Opted not to compete at the Senior Bowl and has approached offseason training as if he has already arrived and it shows in his body with minimal muscle definition or strength. Has small hands and glaring ball security issues (32 career fumbles). Really struggled handling the snow in Pinstripe Bowl (took two safeties) and will be troubled by the elements. Needed to be coddled in college — cannot handle hard coaching.”

Nawrocki then makes a strong prediction about Smith’s future. “Smith is a gimmick, overhyped product of the system lacking the football savvy, work habits and focus to cement a starting job and could drain energy from a QB room,” Nawrocki writes. “Will be overdrafted and struggle to produce against NFL defensive complexities.”

Smith will indeed be drafted high, due to the possibility that his positives eventually will outweigh his negatives, allowing him to become the one thing every team needs: A franchise quarterback. If enough teams agree with Nawrocki, however, Smith may not be drafted as high as some would believe.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...of-geno-smith/

All Pro
    The guy appears to me to be both thin-skinned and driven. That can be a good thing if he uses it as motivation to prove all the haters wrong. However, don't talk about it or tweet about it. Just do it on the field. It can be a bad thing if he turns out to be Vince Young like basket case.

Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    The guy appears to me to be both thin-skinned and driven. That can be a good thing if he uses it as motivation to prove all the haters wrong. However, don't talk about it or tweet about it. Just do it on the field. It can be a bad thing if he turns out to be Vince Young like basket case.
    i'd call it both hard working and emotional/sensitive. confident but doesn't handle adversity as well as can be yet. hopefully it comes with time.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by wvjet View Post
    In 4 years at WVU he had no off the field incidents. He's always come across as quiet and humble. He's a team player....even when he was being told he was a shoe in for the Heisman. He is beloved in one of the most racist states in the country. If for some reason he doesn't pan out in the NFL, he could probably run for Governor of WVI think he fired his agent for the bang up PR job they did
    Yeah but if he lost he would blame his campaign manager..

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Geno has a 1 year audition. If he blows it, we will be picking at the top of the draft in 2014 and will take another qb.
    I hope you're right. How bad could it be to have two young blue chip prospects battling it out? So long as the QB is the BPA I can see nothing wrong with it.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    There was a lot of negative opinions well before the draft. Mostly related to his sense of entitlement. His bad attitude. And doubts to his ability to be a pro QB in the NFL. Here's one especially bad write-up...

I'd chalk this one up to attack journalism but I'd read others with similar concerns and opinions.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...of-geno-smith/
    He blew it on Cam. We'll see if he blew it on Geno also. (Doesn't seem to be crazy about black QBs.)

Note to NFL prospects next year: If you’re invited to the Senior Bowl… Go.

http://bloggingthebeast.com/2013/05/...enior-bowl-go/

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Yeah but if he lost he would blame his campaign manager..
    Nicely played!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Note to NFL prospects next year: If you’re invited to the Senior Bowl… Go.

http://bloggingthebeast.com/2013/05/...enior-bowl-go/

I thought it was a major mistake for Smith to not go to the Senior Bowl. It only feeds the sense of entitlement knocks against him.

He blew it on Cam. We'll see if he blew it on Geno also. (Doesn't seem to be crazy about black QBs.)
    Lol...I did a bit of reading after your post, and it seems a bit of racism may factor in his "opinions". At least a few bloggers think so.

That is pretty much how I would describe Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers, to this day, is LIVID/sensitive about how he fell in the draft.

"Aaron Rodgers is sensitive, says '60 Minutes' producer - NFL.com"

Not saying that Geno is Rodgers, but there is nothing wrong with being mad about how the process played out.

Would we prefer a kid saying "Well, you know what, i am probably just not good enough to have gone in the first round."

The funny thing is that we kill Sanchez for his laid back personality, but when we get a kid that is MAD about being snubbed we find reasons to hate that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I thought it was a major mistake for Smith to not go to the Senior Bowl. It only feeds the sense of entitlement knocks against him.
    There were indications, early on, that Smith was a lock top 10 pick. If his Agents lead him to believe that then there was no reason to go to the Senior Bowl (like Luck/RG3). Obviously, his agents screwed up in that respect. Not saying that they 100 percent deserved to get fired, but I can see why Geno decided to fire them.

I don't see this as thin-skinned.

He watched his agents move QBs to QB needy teams, that had early picks in the draft. It is a conflict of interest, and he's at a crucial point in his career where it makes sense to work with people that don't compromise your priorities for those of journeyman players.

He didn't feel they did their job, so he fired them. No big deal.

Lol...I did a bit of reading after your post, and it seems a bit of racism may factor in his "opinions". At least a few bloggers think so.
    RGIII
    Notes: Engaged. Born in Japan while his parents served in the U.S. Army. Won the Gatorade Texas Boys Track and Field Athlete of the Year Award after setting state records in the 110-meter hurdles (13.55 seconds) and 300 hurdles (35.33). Had a 25-4 record as a starting quarterback as a prep and was rated as the No. 3 dual-threat QB in the country. Originally committed to Houston and head coach Art Briles but changed his mind after Briles was hired at Baylor. Enrolled at Baylor in January 2008 and, in addition to football, was named a Track & Field All-American after placing third at the NCAA Outdoor Championships in the 400-meter hurdles (49.55). In the fall of ’08, he was the nation’s youngest starting quarterback as an 18-year-old and earned Freshman All-America and Big 12 Freshman of the Year honors. Completed 160-of-267 passes for 2,091 yards (59.9 percent) with 15 touchdowns and three interceptions and rushed 173 times for 843 yards (4.9-yard average) and 13 scores in 12 games (11 starts). In ’09, he had his sophomore campaign cut short after three starts because of a torn ACL in his right knee after posting 45-69-481-4-0 (65.2) passing and 27-77-2 (2.9) rushing. Returned in the fall of ’10 and garnered Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year and Comeback Player of the Year honors after passing 304-454-3,501-22-8 (67.0) and running 149-635-8 (4.3) in 13 starts. Earned his undergraduate degree in three years, will finish his master’s degree in communications in the spring of ’12 and eventually would like to attend law school. Won the Heisman Trophy and the Davey O’Brien Award, in addition to being named The Associated Press Player of the Year in ’11 after setting the school record for passing yards and touchdowns with 291-406-4,293-37-6 (72.4) and rushing 179-699-10 (3.9) in 13 starts. Did not play in the second half against Texas Tech after suffering a concussion. Had a 22-18 career record in 40 starts.

Positives: Outstanding deep-ball touch and accuracy; can drop it in a bucket and place it in tight spots. Highly competitive. Can adjust his throwing platform on the move, hasten his delivery and snap it from multiple arm angles. Can uncork it with ease. Quick to locate open receivers and will keep his eyes downfield in the face of duress. Competitive with the ball in his hands and picks up yardage in chunks. Has sprinter’s straight-line speed and is effective scrambling outside the pocket. Comes from a military family that has instilled structure in his life. Extremely smart. Mentally tough — responds to a challenge. Came through in the clutch against Oklahoma and Washington and showed he can produce under the bright lights. Rare production. Gained a staggering 10.7 yards per attempt and proved capable of consistently flipping the field in a few plays.

Negatives: Lacks ideal height. Ran a spread-option offense featuring many simple, one-look reads and lateral passes that inflated his statistics. Works exclusively out of the shotgun. Will use a side-arm and three-quarters delivery with a low release point that leads to batted balls. Makes his receivers adjust to the ball. Average anticipatory instincts and timing — is late to deliver the ball. Is not built to withstand a pounding and take punishment. Not an agile, make-you-miss runner — does not make full-speed cuts. Feels pocket ghosts and seeks to vacate prematurely — must continue refining pocket instincts. Too often late to see and feel pressure — takes unnecessary hits and durability could become an issue. Has 31 career fumbles and lost nearly half — can improve ball security on the move.

Summary: A playmaking weapon capable of carving defenses with his live arm or legs, Griffin made a splash the minute he arrived on campus and emerged as a lethal big-play, vertical passer as a junior. Still must continue to hone his passing instincts from the pocket and prove he can stay healthy outside it. However, he proved he could catapult a doormat program to new heights, has the game-changing prowess to ignite an offense immediately and could add a flair to a downfield passing attack.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/pro...riffin-iii-10/

RWilson
    Notes:
    Married. The Virginia prep threw for more than 3,000 yards and rushed for more than 1,100 as a senior, in addition to playing baseball. Began his collegiate career at North Carolina State where he redshirted in 2007 and earned Offensive Scout Team Player of the Year. Also played baseball for the Wolfpack. Became the first freshman to be named the first-team All-ACC quarterback in ’08 after completing 150-of-275 pass attempts (54.5 percent) for 1,955 yards, 17 touchdowns and only one interception in 11 starts. Also rushed 116 times for 388 yards (3.3-yard average) and four touchdowns. Did not play against William & Mary (concussion), South Florida (undisclosed injury) and missed the second half of the Papajohns.com Bowl with a sprained knee. Started all 12 games in ’09, throwing 224-378-3,027-31-11 (59.3) and rushing 103-260-4 (2.5). Attempted 379 passes between interceptions — the longest streak in NCAA history — over a two-year span of 13 games. Was selected by the Colorado Rockies in the fourth round of the MLB draft in June 2010 and played baseball during the summer. Returned to football in the fall and posted 308-527-3,563-28-14 (58.4) in the air and 143-435-9 (3.0) on the ground in 13 starts. Team captain. Was released from his scholarship at N.C. State, in part because of his desire to continue playing two sports. Transferred to Wisconsin for the ’12 season, and was eligible to play immediately because he is working on a graduate degree. Was named the Big Ten Quarterback of the Year in ’11 after leading the Badgers to the conference championship by tossing 225-309-3,175-33-4 (72.8) and rushing 79-338-6 (4.3) in 14 starts. Had a 30-20 record in 50 career starts. Captained both the Wolfpack and Badgers. Announced in January ’12 that he would concentrate on football and not attend spring training with Rockies.

Positives: Graceful athlete — looks athletic in everything he does on the field. Poised. Has a quick, high release and very good arm strength. Nice touch. Throws naturally on the move or off balance and can alter his arm slot. Breaks down defenses with his legs — evades pressure with ease and is creative when the pocket breaks. Productive, elusive scrambler. Excellent third-down efficiency. Outstanding intangibles — mature, grounded, motivated athlete with a professional makeup and work ethic. Quickly assimilated and earned the respect of his new teammates.

Negatives: Is short and height limits his field vision at times. Limited drop-back production. Inconsistent ball placement. Will vacate the pocket prematurely. Locks on to receivers. Has made some questionable decisions late in games (see East Carolina and Virginia Tech 2010, Michigan State 2011). Is under contract with the Colorado Rockies, and his commitment to football needs to be evaluated.

Summary: An instinctive, multisport athlete with a terrific work ethic and likable personality, Wilson has nearly everything you desire intangibly, including toughness, competitiveness and leadership. Never will be a prototypical dropback, pocket passer, as his height always will be a limiting factor, but he has the arm, legs and smarts to grow into an effective backup in a system where he can utilize play-action, rollouts, and improv skills to make plays. Versatile player who could even be sprinkled into the game plan on a weekly basis to take advantage of his dual-threat ability. Is the type of player you root for and want on your roster.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/pro...ell-wilson-16/

It's way too premature to say that he blew it on Cam.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    Does anyone really care if Geno is dumb, arrogant or has bad taste in clothes or agents? The Jets built their one SB around a drunk QB. The Giants built 2 SB teams around a coke addict at LB.

If the guy can show up and play I couldn't care less about his brains, arrogance or anything else.

None of this bullsh!t matters to me if this kid wins games for us. He can club baby seals, and sh!t in the mouths of retarded children for all I care. Just win us a Super Bowl.....

Interesting...

Has he ever said these types of things about white qbs and has he ever "liked" a black qb? The answers would be interesting.