Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Geno was not taken early in draft

Rookie
    Imagine this. Your a top QB in this years coming draft. You are being worked out by SF, NE, ATL, DEN etc. You know they aren't drafting a QB so are you going to be engaged in the interview? How do we know he wasn't being given a workout for a team that had no chance of getting nor plans of drafting him. That coupled with your agent assuring you you will be the top pick. He may have been wrong for thinking like that but understand where he might have been coming from. On top of that you hear because of not playing in the senior bowl you are falling in the draft. You were advised to skip the game and now it's killing you. You are embarrassed and angry because your agents didn't know what they were doing. All of your family and friends back home watched you get humiliated on national TV because of rumors and hearsay. What would you do? Did he handle this in the best way? No but if your my age i can tell you the way I deal with things now at 50 is different than when I was 21. Brady also shows up his teammates sometimes too but he is still known as a leader. Berating people under you all the time is not a good sign of leadership neither.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by maddbaron View Post
    So we drafted a potentially unlikeable qb who studies his butt off and lives football with high expectations of himself with a low key personality?

I don't view that as bad.
    He holds himself accountable will hold his teammates accountable and won't spare feelings if it means winning?

I'm ok with that. His rough edges will be shaved down once he gets more into the program and learns to be an NFL qb

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    I think it is a mistake to automatically assume we are screwed because of this but for me at least it falls into the category of mildly troublesome information.

On the other hand the #39 pick means that he have a lower slotted salary which is good for us and should serve as a wake up for him. So it is not all bad either.

Jason Cole is a total A hole he is on local Miami radio stations every week. This guys loves to bash the Jets and does it everytime he is the air. He has been bashing Geno since the jets drafted him. He is trying to ruin this kids career before it starts, believe me he has an agenda.
    He is a total Dolphins homer. It so pathetic down here the way the sports media is so obsessed with the Jets

All Pro
    So we drafted a potentially unlikeable qb who studies his butt off and lives football with high expectations of himself with a low key personality?

He holds himself accountable will hold his teammates accountable and won't spare feelings if it means winning?

I'm ok with that. His rough edges will be shaved down once he gets more into the program and learns to be an NFL qb
    Where do you get that he holds himself accountable?

"Right now, he's blaming everybody but himself and he has some buddies around him who are telling him that same thing," the source said.
    And funny how all of the people who say Sanchez's improper development had nothing to do with how badly he turned out, rather he 'ruined himself' are now warning not to start a QB with 300% more college experience, at the risk of 'ruining' him.
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 05-02-2013 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FTL Jet Fan View Post
    Jason Cole is a total A hole he is on local Miami radio stations every week. This guys loves to bash the Jets and does it everytime he is the air. He has been bashing Geno since the jets drafted him. He is trying to ruin this kids career before it starts, believe me he has an agenda.
    He is a total Dolphins homer. It so pathetic down here the way the sports media is so obsessed with the Jets
    Whatever but the guy is a solid, reputable writer. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't recall inaccurate reports being associated with him

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Where do you get that he holds himself accountable?

And funny how all of the people who say Sanchez's improper development had nothing to do with how badly he turned out, rather he 'ruined himself' are now warning not to start a QB with 300% more college experience, at the risk of 'ruining' him.
    I noted this as well.....

They are also saying that Smith or whomever the QB is needs quailty players on offense now.

I dont hear so much anymore out here a variation on the theme of essentially "just run 5 guys out from the parking lot and see how a "good QB" is going to "lift" those playing around him.

Really I dont care so long as the Jets win. I was never and am not a blind Sanchez, or any QB suppoter for that matter.

IMO the Jets FO is finally making the kind of logical and professional moves that will support the starting QB whomever he is and that is exciting!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Summary....his piss poor agents decided to smear the kid to cover their incompetent butts...

And because the Jets drafted him, the media got down on their knees and lapped it up

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    I'm not sure about that. Unfortunately, he doesn't look like the type of QB that has fire in his belly. That's why I don't think he will ever be elite.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Whatever but the guy is a solid, reputable writer. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't recall inaccurate reports being associated with him
    Thank you for the response and I respect your opinion, however, when a journalist for a major network shows a bias towards a team they loose some credibility with me. Its also how he carries himself when talking about the jets, he comes off very juvenile and petty.

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Summary....his piss poor agents decided to smear the kid to cover their incompetent butts...

And because the Jets drafted him, the media got down on their knees and lapped it up
    Summary...or there is some truth to the reports...and how according to Tony Pauline a NFC East team, that needs a QB, took Smith off their draft board after meeting/interviewing him..

I guess a few of you have forgotten the John Elway and Elli Manning sagas where they "childlishly" demanded to play for certain teams before the draft. I didn't follow their careers, but I assume they didn't amount to much because they acted, in some people's eyes, like spoiled brats.

All Pro
    Summary...or there is some truth to the reports...and how according to Tony Pauline a NFC East team, that needs a QB, took Smith off their draft board after meeting/interviewing him..
    I couldn't find that story, can you give a link?

Quote Originally Posted by houyx View Post
    I'm not sure about that. Unfortunately, he doesn't look like the type of QB that has fire in his belly. That's why I don't think he will ever be elite.
    You sound like the kind of poster that never watched West Virginia play and is basing it all speculation.

Geno has plenty of fire in his belly. He won't fail for lack of desire and work effort.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    I guess a few of you have forgotten the John Elway and Elli Manning sagas where they "childlishly" demanded to play for certain teams before the draft. I didn't follow their careers, but I assume they didn't amount to much because they acted, in some people's eyes, like spoiled brats.
    Does anyone really care if Geno is dumb, arrogant or has bad taste in clothes or agents? The Jets built their one SB around a drunk QB. The Giants built 2 SB teams around a coke addict at LB.

If the guy can show up and play I couldn't care less about his brains, arrogance or anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    I couldn't find that story, can you give a link?
    www.draftinsider.net

forums/nyjets draft forum/red flags already on Geno

That's possible. Its also possible that it was the same scouts/player personell people that passed on guys like Moss/Sapp because of their attitudes and off the field issues.

Smith is not a slam dunk QB prospect like Luck/RG3. He is more in the Tannehill/R. Wilson/Gabbert/Freeman category of QB prospects that have some good qualities and some flaws and scouts can't know for sure how that mixture will pan out in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    He was the third player we picked, plays the most important position on the field, and under the new CBA we'll pay him based on his #39 slot. The Jets will have at least 3 years to assess him and see what he can become before we'd really have to pay him. In my opinion there isn't a ton of risk here. Geno is a bit of a lottery ticket. If he works out and becomes a starting QB then we hit big time! If he doesn't, then the Jets took a reasonable shot at finding a franchise QB and will have wasted a pick similar to the one we used on Ducasse. The risk/reward is exactly right....2nd rounder and we didn't trade up. Even if Geno completely tanks and isn't a QB in the NFL in 3 years I'd have zero problem with how Idzik used that pick.
    This is spot on and what people need to understand. Sanchez will make more money between opening day and Thanksgiving (maybe sitting on the couch at home) than Geno will make his first 4 years. No one wants to waste a second round pick, but he is here to compete and the money makes it not a big deal if he doesn't win the starting job. If one of the other QBs on the roster are better, he should be a suitable clip board holder.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    That's possible. Its also possible that it was the same scouts/player personell people that passed on guys like Moss/Sapp because of their attitudes and off the field issues.

Smith is not a slam dunk QB prospect like Luck/RG3. He is more in the Tannehill/R. Wilson/Gabbert/Freeman category of QB prospects that have some good qualities and some flaws and scouts can't know for sure how that mixture will pan out in the NFL.
    absolutely...however, they weren't a QB, which is supposed to be a leadership position.

how Smith turns out who knows..

The Redzone ‏@TheRedzoneorg
    Tyler Bray's father: Steelers said they would draft my son http://bit.ly/120BOgp

Hall Of Fame
    absolutely...however, they weren't a QB, which is supposed to be a leadership position.

how Smith turns out who knows..
    True. The odds are that he doesnt pan out to be a legit 8-10 year starter, but Geno now has the chance to shut those scouts up and prove he is not what some people were saying he was. Its totally up to Geno from this point forward. The best part is that he is cheap and only cost a second round pick, if he was a top 5 pick that was going to be owed 50 million I would absolutely hate the selection.