Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Geno was not taken early in draft

Why Geno was not taken early in draft

While Geno Smith has declared that his decision to fire his agents was not a result of his dropping to the second round of the draft, sources from NFL teams have revealed other reasons why one of the draft’s highest-rated quarterbacks found himself stuck in the green room Thursday night.

Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports reports via sources that Smith acted aloof, disengaged and displayed a general bad attitude during pre-draft meetings. Sources were critical of Smith spending much of his visits on the phone, reading Twitter and texting friends.

From Yahoo! Sports:

“All these other players who were in there were talking to the coaches, trying to get to know people and he was over there by himself,” one source said. “That’s not what you want out of your quarterback.”

“He doesn’t have much presence, not much of a leader,” one executive who studied Smith said. “I don’t think he’s a bad person, but that’s not enough to be a quarterback in this league.”

Cole’s report also includes reports of Smith, two days before the draft, toasting and thanking his agents, calling them “family” and saying they would represent him his entire career.

“His biggest problem is that he doesn’t know what he doesn’t know,” said a league executive, who spent extensive time assessing Smith before the draft. “I’m not sure he knows how to take instruction because he pretty much wouldn’t listen or talk to our coaches … he’s talented. He can sling it, he can fit it into tight spots, he can do a lot of things and I think he wants to be good. But you can’t tell him anything right now. He’s tuned out because he thinks he’s got it all down.”

Deadspin’s Barry Petchesky cited a person close to Smith as saying his decision to fire his agents was based on the agency’s failure to successfully promote his value when it became apparent he might fall out of the first round. Smith was also unhappy with the negative fallout from not playing in the Senior Bowl — a decision his agents pushed.

Smith, taken by the Jets in the second round, said his goal is to become the team’s “franchise quarterback” but realizes that he has a lot of work to do.

whats there really left to talk about? some people think he is a dumb, disengaged, a-hole, other people think he is just a kid caught up in the media machine and will prove people wrong...only one thing to do...sit back and watch.

personally i believe in the FO until they prove me wrong. I also think that bashing Geno became a trend at some point...and the jets are buying low on this kid.

Veteran
    Omg - can we please have a lock/dump/ban on all these SOJ-second-guessing-the-Gino-Smith-draft-pick threads? A second round draft pick?? A second round draft pick?!?! It's not eve OTA's . . .

IT'S HUGELY BORING TO COME AND SEE THESE SAME THREADS

I used to think it was just Mark Sanchez - but now I see it's gonna be somebody to complain about (b**ch) forever . . .

Undrafted Free Agent
    I like the pick.

Worry about hand size and ball control. Hope we develop him well.

I will give him all the chances needed.

Quote Originally Posted by GangGreenAFFLICTION View Post
    I like the pick.

hand size is only important because it impacts arm strength, Geno has an Elite arm.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    hand size is only important because it impacts arm strength, Geno has an Elite arm.
    The bigger the grip the less likely to fumble in bad weather etc. It can be somewhat of a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    Omg - can we please have a lock/dump/ban on all these SOJ-second-guessing-the-Gino-Smith-draft-pick threads? A second round draft pick?? A second round draft pick?!?! It's not eve OTA's . . .

I used to think it was just Mark Sanchez - but now I see it's gonna be somebody to complain about (b**ch) forever . . .
    Geno.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Geno.
    And I suppose there is no l in Teblow?

Quote Originally Posted by GangGreenAFFLICTION View Post
    I like the pick.

Sanchez has huge hands.

It's not the size it's how you use them.

Hall Of Fame
    Because he doesn't have blonde hair and blue eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    whats there really left to talk about? some people think he is a dumb, disengaged, a-hole, other people think he is just a kid caught up in the media machine and will prove people wrong...only one thing to do...sit back and watch.

personally i believe in the FO until they prove me wrong. I also think that bashing Geno became a trend at some point...and the jets are buying low on this kid.
    Couldn't be more perfectly said.

I've watched him play a great deal:

Positives:
    -Can make EVERY throw
    -Reads/Reacts to blitzes well
    -Can extend the play with his feet. Keeps his eyes downfield and and gives receivers extra time to get open/freelance (a trait of many great WCO QB's)
    -Good, but underutilized runner (he didn't run much, and he lacks the same breakaway speed/quicks as Wilson/Kapernick. Could have his best in front of him if they ask him to do it more).
    -Seems to love football. Very competitive.
    -Shown to be Durable (but that's always subject to change).

Negatives:
    -Inconsistent footwork leads to inconsistent accuracy
    -Fumble prone. (learning to protect the ball and be more decisive with accepting a sack is inevitable will go a long way to helping that cause).
    -Tends to get too much air under some throws.
    Was given freedom to read/change plays at the line. Was good, but not great at it. (will only get harder to improve in the pros. IMO, this is what can make or break him in terms of potential greatness)
    -Moody. Needs to clean up body language when things don't go well (expanded upon below)*

*Look, I know this is a hot-button topic, but as always, it isn't black and white. Before jumping to take a side, consider the shades of gray. Geno appears to be a really good kid. And many of the things being written/said about him are really overblown (which will happen when a polarizing player joins a polarizing franchise. Bashing the Jets is fashionable, even though it's fair much of the time). That said, just because it's being blown out of proportion, doesn't mean it's completely fabricated).

Obviously, I can't speak to the pre-draft interviews/visits. Maybe it's true, but ultimately I don't see how it matters unless he's not coach-able. And all empirical evidence (3 years as a starter) seems a more trustworthy indicator than anonymous sources who got a bad feeling over a conversation/visit).

BUT, he might have maturity issues and I don't see how that isn't a legit concern. I do think he's got a "different" personality than many football players. He seems introverted when he isn't on the field. And he'll occasionally show up a teammate when things aren't going well and he thinks they did something wrong. That said, it's only an observation and all reports were that he was respected by everyone in the program. The last week has at least shown that his personality needs to be polished to handle what's coming.

All told, we have a great PROSPECT on our hands, and he comes with little risk because of the investment. If he doesn't translate (and OF COURSE that's a possibility), we made a solid bet and lost.
    Last edited by Franko097; 05-01-2013 at 08:39 PM.

If someone can find out what exact time he was born, I can surely get to the bottom of this.

All Pro
    sometimes theres just not 1st round talent, at the position

All Pro
    Geno has a 1 year audition. If he blows it, we will be picking at the top of the draft in 2014 and will take another qb.

Jets Insider VIP
    I think Geno Smith can develop into a franchise Qb. He just needs a season to develop. Throw him in there after a few games and let the development start.
    Let him make his mistakes and learn the NFL. I think we got a good one.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...assing-academy

Daniel Jeremiah did not seem to have an issue with Geno's personality.

Jets Insider VIP
    Fine with Geno starting

Fine with Garrard starting

Fine with McElroy starting

Fine with Simms starting

four good alternatives

Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post

I'm glad that he dropped to the 2nd. Rexy make him eat humble pie but keep him chaffing at the bit in TC. We need a talented qb with a chip on his shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Fine with Geno starting

Fine with Garrard starting

Fine with McElroy starting

Fine with Simms starting

four good alternatives
    You cannot honestly say you are fine with Simms starting. Nobody would be fine with Simms starting he really is not part of the competition in all honesty.

I think throwing Geno out too early would be a bad decision. If he looks like the best QB then obviously start him. If he needs more work, then start the best guy in the competition, plain and simple. This worked last year for SEA and SF halfway through the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Geno has a 1 year audition. If he blows it, we will be picking at the top of the draft in 2014 and will take another qb.
    LOL