Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: What happens to our defense if Rex is fired?

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Really not worth a reply, BUT... Do you realize what you're saying?

REALLY???
    Let me make sure you know what I know I'm saying:

1. Rex Ryan is a lousy head coach who demolished a team that was contending for a Super Bowl less than 24 months ago.

2. Mark Sanchez had the type of start that one can only dream of and then was undercut by neglect at the hands of his head coach, GM, coordinators, and now the fans.

3. There is a 0% chance that Rex Ryan will change, will become a good NFL head coach.

4. There is a 30% chance that Mark Sanchez will change, will become a good NFL quarterback.

Clear?

SAR I

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    We'll see... It's either gonna be him or Geno... And, thanks to the media ENTIRELY, there will be a giant soap opera surrounding it, hoping we just turn out to be a disaster.

Mark has not been in this situation. Neither has Geno. I wish he hadn't worn that ridiculous headband, tho...

Hopefully, Mark is tested to the fullest to prove his incompetence early on so we can move on for good. (of course, if he plays lights out, then let Mark play)
    I think if Mark is unable to land another job it is in part because of the media.... They've destroyed him in every way possible lol I was watching NFL network earlier and they went on for a few minutes on how he was copying RG3 with the head band. You don't see Blaine Gabbert or Carson Palmer getting nearly as much hate as Mark and they're both possibly just as bad at this point. Obviously being in New York is a big reason why as well

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

1. Rex Ryan is a lousy head coach who demolished a team that was contending for a Super Bowl less than 24 months ago.

2. Mark Sanchez had the type of start that one can only dream of and then was undercut by neglect at the hands of his head coach, GM, coordinators, and now the fans.

3. There is a 0% chance that Rex Ryan will change, will become a good NFL head coach.

4. There is a 30% chance that Mark Sanchez will change, will become a good NFL quarterback.

Clear?

SAR I
    Dont forgot for #1 the same man you claim to hate brought us to those championships

Quote Originally Posted by Cro's Kids View Post
    Dont forgot for #1 the same man you claim to hate brought us to those championships
    A little psychology here, you'll learn about this in college some day.

Rex Ryan was a smart HC decision back in 2009. He's a players coach, you see, a real friendly guy who wants to give hugs and have picnics. He was hired to replace Eric Mangini. He's a disciplinarian, a real hardass who doesn't want to even talk to his players, likes to eat alone.

Rex was a breath of fresh air to a tight and angry group of Jets back then, the perfect fit. Lincoln freed the slaves, Ryan freed the Jets. Lots of wins. Go Rex.

But too much of a good thing isn't good. One chocolate bar, yum. Fifty chocolate bars, barf. After three years of Rex Ryan's silly ways and player snuggle time the team quit on him. Time for the opposite HC cycle to kick in again, time for a disciplinarian to tighten things up.

Coaches only know how to coach one way. Rex Ryan is a great fit for a tight and miserable team being whipped by a tyrant. Next year's 49ers, for example. But Rex Ryan is a lousy fit for a lose and young team that needs some toughness, some discipline, some grow-up time.

If Rex's drafting and development were strong, he'd be a good coach for us now. But that didn't happen, we're in full rebuild mode, he ain't the guy.

SAR I

Banned
    A little psychology here, you'll learn about this in college some day.

Rex Ryan was a smart HC decision back in 2009. He's a players coach, you see, a real friendly guy who wants to give hugs and have picnics. He was hired to replace Eric Mangini. He's a disciplinarian, a real hardass who doesn't want to even talk to his players, likes to eat alone.

Rex was a breath of fresh air to a tight and angry group of Jets back then, the perfect fit. Lincoln freed the slaves, Ryan freed the Jets. Lots of wins. Go Rex.

But too much of a good thing isn't good. One chocolate bar, yum. Fifty chocolate bars, barf. After three years of Rex Ryan's silly ways and player snuggle time the team quit on him. Time for the opposite HC cycle to kick in again, time for a disciplinarian to tighten things up.

Coaches only know how to coach one way. Rex Ryan is a great fit for a tight and miserable team being whipped by a tyrant. Next year's 49ers, for example. But Rex Ryan is a lousy fit for a lose and young team that needs some toughness, some discipline, some grow-up time.

If Rex's drafting and development were strong, he'd be a good coach for us now. But that didn't happen, we're in full rebuild mode, he ain't the guy.

SAR I
    Just as you see players mature and get better at their game I think the same thing is possible for coaches. He has stated in press conferences that he needs to change some of his philosophies. I find him way too valuable at defense to let go. I think Rex is very tough(remember ground and pound?) the whole we'll kick the other teams ass philosophy? If he can get us to the afc championship twice I think he can do it again and go even one game further.
    Last edited by Cro's Kids; 05-03-2013 at 01:13 AM.

I have as much football knowledge as any other fan in a sports discussion forum. I've yet to run into a single poster that has said anything enlightening, ever, on football matters. In the Stadium thread we had great expert contributions because we the fans were intimately in the process. None of us work for the Jets football operation to my knowledge.

All that is displayed on team matters are amateur opinions and linguistics.

SAR I
    Then what the FVCK are you doing here???

Just as you see players mature and get better at their game I think the same thing is possible for coaches. He has stated in press conferences that he needs to change some of his philosophies. I find him way too valuable at defense to let go. I think Rex is very tough(remember ground and pound?) the whole we'll kick the other teams ass philosophy? If he can get us to the afc championship twice I think he can do it again and go even one game further.
    THIS is pretty much what I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Then what the FVCK are you doing here???
    Why do we bother with a poster who's name represents a severe acute respiratory system that originated in south china?

Untouchable

This "circus" bullsh*t is completely ridiculous.

What the hell makes us such a sideshow act?

Because we brought in Tim Tebow?

Whoopty sh*t

We brought him in with the sole intention of utilizing him as a wildcat option. And it didn't work. Instead of stubbornly hanging on to Tebow and forcing this gimmicky wildcat crap, we cut bait after one season and both Rex and Woody admitted the mistake.

The Jets made it known from Day 1 that Tebow was here strictly as a gadget player. Yet no matter how many times they stated as much, the media just couldn't grasp the fact that we weren't bringing in the Golden Saint to be the face of the franchise.

You've got the wrong guy on this one. I couldn't care less about Tim Tebow, never did, you can't find a half a dozen posts on the subject from me in the last year.

The "circus" comes with Rex Ryan. The guy ran against the grain of the NFL with his mouth and his antics. I enjoyed it during the good times, now it's downright embarrassing. He deserves all the smack he takes in the papers. The circus stuff is directed at one man, Rex Ryan, not the franchise as a whole. It's payback for bucking the NFL's established behavioral code.

And are you really trying to state that losing Mike Pettine is some kind of catastrophe? Really?

By all accounts, it was Pettine who was leaking sh*t left and right to the media last year. The guy was never anything more than a puppet. Everyone knows that this defense is Rex's baby and that he calls the shots on that side of the ball. Pettine was nothing more than a warm body with a title.

You can make the excuse that Rex's players clocked-out because we were built improperly, but you can't excuse the fact that all of Rex's trusted lieutenants, coaches, and coordinators split town. They know a bad coach and a sinking ship when they see one, they value their careers, they left the circus.

You know the biggest reason for the fall of the Jets over the past two years?

Mike Tannenbaum

You know, the guy who handed out the silly ass extension to Sanchez as a makeup kiss on the cheek for flirting with Peyton.

The guy who mortgaged the teams future for a two year window.

The guy who let the talent on this offense and overall team become more and more depleted and more and more dinosaur-esque year after year.

I see it differently. I see Mike Tannenbaum trying a get-rich-quick scheme to sell out a stadium who almost built a Super Bowl Champion the Steinbrenner-way. I give him credit as an innovative cap guy and an innovative GM.

And if the team was good enough to win 4 playoff games in two years, well, they were good enough to win 6 or 8. The GM fills the roster, the roster was very good for awhile, the head coach couldn't guide it to the promised land.

Tannenbaum is not blameless- several terrible drafts- but Rex Ryan's losing strategy of being the '85 Bears and the '49 Packers simply doesn't work. So he spent too much time being a defensive coordinator and no time focusing on the offense and we over-drafted for defense and both the defense and the offense suffered.

You blame these problems on Rex as if he's the guy drawing up the contracts and making the personnel decisions.

Idzik has already shown great promise in just his 3 1/2 months on the job. He's already put his stamp on this team in that very short time frame.

Even die hard Jets critics are starting to admit that Idzik is looking like a potential godsend or this team.

Yet you totally dismiss him over a two paragraph bio that you read on the internet.

I blame Ryan's stragegy above all else. The HC says "we're going to win on defense and a power running game". The GM builds the roster accordingly.

I don't like the concept of the Idzik selection. I don't like how no established GM candidates wanted to come here. I don't like how a head hunting agency was needed to conduct a search and that Johnson didn't have a network of assistance and potential candidates lined up. I don't like how it produced a guy that looks like a wimp version of Tannenbaum, an operator who faces a 5 year learning curve.

Again, none of this is rocket science and nothing here is troll-like. It's just a point of view that is different than yours. I'm not here to be liked. I'm not here to swallow my tongue and join the Blind Homer Parade. We go through this cycle every year. But this time, no post-draft optimism from me. And, by the way, most of the good posters and diehard fans simply aren't here right now. They are so upset and so depressed, they don't want to talk or think Jets because they know what lies ahead. I'm not counter-cultural; I'm just one of the few here bothering to participate.

SAR I

That is one of the better posts that I've ever read concerning Ryan.

The Ryan situation now reminds me of the Herm and Wanstadt days, when Pats fans would hope that those coaches would be rehired every year. We knew that it gave our team a better chance to win.

Jets Insider VIP
    Pats fans suck. You are a pats fan. Ergo....

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    That's like posting...The sky is blue.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    That's like posting...The sky is blue.
    I thought that you guys might appreciate the viewpoint of a rival AFCE fan who's been around since the birth of the AFL. It's not the first time I was wrong.

And this is where, respectfully, we differ.

Rex Ryan has publicly stated how he is going to change each year. I'm not talking about his personal life- that's his business. I'm talking about his willingness to be tougher, his willingness to get involved in the offense, his ability to nurture young talent. And now going on 3 consecutive years, it hasn't happened and it never will.

SAR I

Another mature post.

Quote Originally Posted by Pats1960 View Post
    I thought that you guys might appreciate the viewpoint of a rival AFCE fan who's been around since the birth of the AFL. It's not the first time I was wrong.
    Most of us do. There are several homers in here who have a cult like adoration for our failed head coach.

Rex Ryan has publicly stated how he is going to change each year. I'm not talking about his personal life- that's his business. I'm talking about his willingness to be tougher, his willingness to get involved in the offense, his ability to nurture young talent. And now going on 3 consecutive years, it hasn't happened and it never will.

SAR I
    Sar, in short: The Emperor Has No Clothes.

Clear?

SAR I
    Clear that they're both failures in your eyes? Crystal.

Quote Originally Posted by Pats1960 View Post
    You are welcome here. One of the people harassing you is 70 years old and weighs 400 pounds, just so you know the high-character types you're interacting with.

Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Most of us do. There are several homers in here who have a cult like adoration for our failed head coach.
    Sad, but true. They invade every offseason when the normal posters are on sabbatical. Things get back to normal in September. Things get really good in November when the team is so bad all the blind homers leave out of shame.

Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Sar, in short: The Emperor Has No Clothes.
    Yes. Nothing has changed.

SAR I

Hey, we all want the next Peyton Manning, but until then you try to win with Joe Flacco.

Mark Sanchez was drafted to be a decent, not great, quarterback to compliment the Rex Ryan Master Plan- Powerful running game, dominant defense. The statistics don't matter, that's just a crutch to justify dumping him prematurely. In a 20 game stretch, Mark Sanchez led the Jets to a 16-4 record including 4 playoff wins and 5 epic last minute comebacks. That is nothing to be taken lightly. That is not easy to find. In fact, you can't name one Jets quarterback other than Joe Namath that came close to that sustained level of success.

There's a 30% chance Mark Sanchez bounces back. Sadly, if he does, it won't be in New York. This year's offense looks to be as bad as last year's. We need to keep Geno clean, let Mark take the pounding, wait for Idzik to get some weapons in here in 2014.

SAR I
    "bounces back"? Bounces back to what? Sanchez never had "it" to begin with, even when he had a better offensive unit around him. What you fail to acknowledge is that Sanchez was awful even in the 2 years we made it to the AFCCG. We got there IN SPITE OF Sanchez, not because of him.

You have never been more wrong about any player as this. Never. It is disturbing because you always have had a good head on your shoulder about things. But not with respect to this. JMO, here. I'm fine with us disagreeing about it.

Hall Of Fame

SAR I
    Its like a cruise ship captain who crashes a ship in the rocks, the cruise ship company has to pay and build another ship, do you really want to give the keys back to the guy who wrecked the ship in the first place??