Thread: Jets draft grades

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets draft grades

Jets draft grades.

The 2013 Jets Draft Class won’t see the field until rookie minicamp commences next weekend. But with last weekend still fresh on our minds, we took a trip around the web to see what others thought of GM John Idzik’s first Jets’ draft.

Mel Kiper
    ESPN Draft Guru
    Overall Grade: B, Need Grade: B, Value Grade: B
    Once you can divorce yourself from the reality of what Geno Smith is headed into, you take a step back and realize the Jets just took the guy I think is the best quarterback in the draft, and they did it at No. 39 overall. We're grading a draft, not the QB situation they have. The Jets really needed a corner now that Darrelle Revis is in Tampa, and they got the best one in the draft at No. 9. I wanted them to get a pass-rusher, but they might have done it in another way. With Sheldon Richardson, I expect them to do some new things up front, potentially shifting Quinton Coples to the edge. This is the makings of an extremely good defense up front, and Rex Ryan is a master at creating pressure with whatever he has. Brian Winters is a starter at guard, and Oday Aboushi could play either right tackle or guard. Tommy Bohanon (T-Bo!) should stick. I wanted the Jets to get a safety, but I still think they deserve a pretty good grade for hitting a few big needs. Now, they need to be patient with Smith.

Bucky Brooks
    Analyst, NFL.com & NFL Network
    Grade: B-
    Idzik certainly has made his mark on the Jets, trading away the team's best player in Darrelle Revis, then essentially replacing him with the top cornerback in the draft (Dee Milliner). Though DT Sheldon Richardson doesn't appear to fit the 3-4, sources tell me the Jets' hybrid scheme will allow him to play 3-technique (outside shade of the offensive guard) in a four-man front that will feature Muhammad Wilkerson and Quinton Coples on the edges. Regardless, Richardson's motor and interior rush skills will help the Jets get after the passer. Finally, Smith could become the face of the franchise as the new starting quarterback. Though he slid down the draft board last week, Smith is a notch above Sanchez in terms of talent, making the pick a worthwhile gamble.

Biggest AFC East Steal: Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
    New York Jets, Round 2, No. 39 Overall
    The Jets were expected to make a play for a quarterback at some point in this draft, but few would've guessed that the top quarterback in the 2013 class would be available for them to take with the 39th overall pick. Not only is Smith a viable alternative to veteran Mark Sanchez, he's a deft, quick-rhythm passer with the potential to develop into a star under the tutelage of offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg (see: Michael Vick and Jeff Garcia). If Smith can earn the starting job and give the Jets much-needed stability at the quarterback position, this pick could go down as the most important of the John Idzik era.

Nate Davis
    USA Today
    Grade: B
    If you purely judge this draft off the selection of QB Geno Smith in Round 2, alarm bells sound — though given Smith's talent, at least they didn't overreach. Still, his presence creates yet more distractions, and his arrival came at the cost of patching other holes on offense. But he wasn't the only player new GM John Idzik picked. Two potential impact defenders came via Round 1 (CB Dee Milliner, DT Sheldon Richardson), and needed O-line depth was selected in Smith's wake. Idzik also acquired 25-year-old RB Chris Ivory for a fourth rounder then signed him to a very reasonable three-year, $10 million deal — all things considered, a fairly deft stroke.

Rob Rang
    The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com
    If the Jets had just drafted quarterback Geno Smith at No. 9 overall rather than waiting until No. 39, a lot of people might be celebrating their haul. Instead, the perception is that they reached to fill needs, which I don't believe is fair. Ultimately, the Jets filled the hole left by the trade of Darrelle Revis to the Bucs with the best and most physical cornerback in the draft with Dee Milliner and added to an already stout defensive line with Sheldon Richardson four picks later. Smith, of course, is the key to this draft and has the talent to be successful. It will be up to him to prove his critics wrong. I love the physicality and toughness of the two offensive linemen added later, Brian Winters and Oday Aboushi.

Chris Burke
    CNNSI.com
    Grade: C
    The first round was disappointing. DT Sheldon Richardson is kind of miscast in the Jets’ current defense, and CB Dee Milliner broke the rule that you don’t try to replace a player you just traded away by drafting someone at the same position. G Brian Winters has a nasty streak and Rex Ryan will like that. But, of course, the spotlight will shine brightest on QB Geno Smith. Is he the answer New York needs at that position? Or are there ample reasons to justify his drop into Round 2?

Vinnie Iyer
    Sporting News
    Grade: D
    Their entire draft will ride on just how good West Virginia's Geno Smith will be as their starting quarterback, and there's reason to believe the pairing will be quite bumpy. In essence, they swapped out Darrelle Revis for Alabama's Dee Milliner at cornerback, but wasted the No. 13 they got for Revis by taking Sheldon Richardson, a tackle better suited for the 4-3, not Rex Ryan's 3-4. It was a shaky start for John Idzik

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    So basically everyone loves our draft bu because its the Jets they can't give it anything more than a B. Great.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I feel like any QB we could've drafted other than Smith would get similar media hate as well.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    Vinnie Iyer
    Sporting News
    Their entire draft will ride on just how good West Virginia's Geno Smith will be as their starting quarterback, and there's reason to believe the pairing will be quite bumpy. In essence, they swapped out Darrelle Revis for Alabama's Dee Milliner at cornerback, but wasted the No. 13 they got for Revis by taking Sheldon Richardson, a tackle better suited for the 4-3, not Rex Ryan's 3-4. It was a shaky start for John Idzik
    And this guy gets paid for this level of analysis?

It looks like my 9 year old daughter wrote it for him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    it's of course meaningless but I found it interesting to see others takes....its also a crap shoot placing a grade on a draft in may....the obvious plus is that the Jets drafted players who can help this team in 2013.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This bonehead is obviously clueless......PRETTY much sums up the fact that ANYONE can be a sports writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    it's of course meaningless but I found it interesting to see others takes....its also a crap shoot placing a grade on a draft in may....the obvious plus is that the Jets drafted players who can help this team in 2013.
    I'll take this great draft haul over what the usual talking heads say. The Jets team is considerably stronger on both sides f the line now and selected 3 of the best plyers in the draft: #1 CB, #1 DT, and #1 QB. Retooled the Oline and got weapons in the running game Ivory and Bohanon

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Vinnie Iyer
    Sporting News
    I do really find that line of thinking bizarre. If Richardson and Miliner are both good, why would the entire draft ride on how good a 2nd round pick is. I would agree with the statement if Smith was a top 10 pick. But, the Jets 2006 draft was good, despite drafting Clemens in the 2nd round.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    his arrival came at the cost of patching other holes on offense.

Would we have been able to select two or more players with th3 39th pick? What bigger hole do we have than QB anyway? We could have gotten a TE. I wish we'd have gotten an extra 3rd for Revis to do that, but still that would have only been one hole patched. Keep your fingers crossed for Hayden Smith, and I hope Hagan has been working with Reuland on his blocking technique. I still think he could be a very good blue collar player.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    So basically everyone loves our draft bu because its the Jets they can't give it anything more than a B. Great.
    That's what really got me about these. Great job by the Jets but they are the Jets so B...It wasn't even like they tried to hide it.

I'm choosing to simply ignore the last guy...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    How do you grade a draft before the players have played? These media guys just blather on...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets draft grades.

The 2013 Jets Draft Class won’t see the field until rookie minicamp commences next weekend. But with last weekend still fresh on our minds, we took a trip around the web to see what others thought of GM John Idzik’s first Jets’ draft.

Mel Kiper
    ESPN Draft Guru
    Overall Grade: B, Need Grade: B, Value Grade: B
    Once you can divorce yourself from the reality of what Geno Smith is headed into, you take a step back and realize the Jets just took the guy I think is the best quarterback in the draft, and they did it at No. 39 overall.
    Can someone explain what Geno Smith is walking into that needs divorcing yourself from?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    In terms of value, the d*ckhead that gave the Jets a "D" is all wet. Milliner and Richardson went exactly where they were thought to. Geno Smith was great value in the 2nd round.

Once again, I think all these grades are nonsense pretty much. 3 years down the road tells the actual truth.

But if we grade clearly on value based on how the scouts feel, then there's no way you could give the Jets draft a "D". That guy is clearly a Jets hater.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Nate Davis
    USA Today
    If you purely judge this draft off the selection of QB Geno Smith in Round 2, alarm bells sound — though given Smith's talent, at least they didn't overreach. Still, his presence creates yet more distractions, and his arrival came at the cost of patching other holes on offense. But he wasn't the only player new GM John Idzik picked. Two potential impact defenders came via Round 1 (CB Dee Milliner, DT Sheldon Richardson), and needed O-line depth was selected in Smith's wake. Idzik also acquired 25-year-old RB Chris Ivory for a fourth rounder then signed him to a very reasonable three-year, $10 million deal — all things considered, a fairly deft stroke.
    So, the Jets aren't supposed to try and get better because it may cause distractions?

I'll ask again, Distraction to whom?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMO if you disagreed with trading Revis you could grade the GM Idzik potentially a B; but based on the players obtained in this draft and their projected potential how in the world can you grade this Jets draft anything less than an A!!!

Good Grief.......

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cro's Kids View Post
    I feel like any QB we could've drafted other than Smith would get similar media hate as well.
    You are correct. If the Giants drafted Smith all the talking heads would saying what a great job Reese did getting the best QB without moving up.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    So, the Jets aren't supposed to try and get better because it may cause distractions?

I'll ask again, Distraction to whom?
    Precisely ...whom Sanchez the guy they are replacing?

Madness!!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post

any chance we get her to post instead of you?