Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chris Ivory video highlights

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    of course someone has to be that guy with the negative comments.

some of his best runs in that video came against the seahawks, cardinals, falcons and bengals, all of which had pretty solid defenses.

i love this pick up. he's lightyears better then Greene if he stays healthy it's possible he could be the best RB we've have in years.
    And that is the hope on all of our minds..

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    of course someone has to be that guy with the negative comments.

some of his best runs in that video came against the seahawks, cardinals, falcons and bengals, all of which had pretty solid defenses.

i love this pick up. he's lightyears better then Greene if he stays healthy it's possible he could be the best RB we've have in years.
    Not negative, just fact. I said I like his reads, which translates into doesn't matter much which D is on the field. I think he could be one of the best backs in forty years, that's not saying much.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://thejetpress.com/2013/04/30/pr...k-depth-chart/

Predicting The New York Jets Running Back Depth Chart
    Apr 30th, 2013 at 2:00 pm by Alan SchechterJets
    « PREVIOUS
    NEXT »
    Home » Jets » Predicting the New York Jets Running Back Depth Chart

The entrance of Marty Mornhinweg has brought, officially, the end of the days of “Ground and Pound”. The Jets are moving forward in the mold of a West Coast offense, and the roster is going through a bit of a makeover. Ironically, a position that has had more of a significant makeover than other positions is the running back spot.

Out and gone is Shonn ”Three yards and a cloud of dust” Greene. In is Chris Ivory and Mike Goodson, to go along with returning incumbents Bilal Powell and Joe McKnight. Four guys that bring different types of games to the table. What is the depth chart going to look like at this spot? Here are my thoughts, without the benefit of any practices to support my thoughts at this point.

NUMBER ONE: CHRIS IVORY:

This is an obvious choice, and one that will emerge without much time passing during training camp. Here is a guy that runs what I like to call “dirty”. He runs with an attitude. He has done it to the tune of over 5 yards per carry for his entire career to date. When he had the chance to take the ball and run with it, he led the Saints in rushing. We as Jets fans have been begging for the Jets to get this guy for months, and with good reason. Take a look at some video:

Watch this guy’s feet. Look at how they keep churning forward, and churning hard. He keeps moving forward for that positive yardage, no matter what type of hit he is taking. This, Jets fans, is your lead running back for the next several years. Get used to it, I know I can’t wait.

NUMBER TWO: BILAL POWELL

This is a pure hunch out of me here, but I think it will be Powell. It very well could be Mike Goodson, I just personally don’t think so. Don’t get me wrong, the Jets would not go wrong with Mike Goodson as the second stringer. When he has gotten the chance to play, especially in Oakland last year, he has done quite well. When he got the chance to start in place of McFadden, the Raiders didn’t miss a beat.
    However, I see the second stringer more of a short yardage guy in addition to being Ivory’s backup. That being said, the Jets have seen the improvement in Bilal Powell from year one to year two. He was significantly better in short yardage in 2012, and we saw his nose for the endzone start to come alive, to sniff out some TD’s. In the end, instead of going with an entire new crew at running back, I believe that Powell will edge out the second string/short yardage position.

NUMBER THREE/CHANGE OF PACE: JOE MCKNIGHT

Again, here is another spot that could turn into Mike Goodson as well. Both Goodson and McKnight are talented pass receivers, as well as being adept at making plays in space. Goodson would perform well in this spot as well. But, I believe that the familiarity factor, going along with the fact that he will be returning kicks, Joe McKnight will hang onto this spot as well. This should make a lot of Jets fans happy, as Marty Mornhinweg will find ways to get him on the field more often than ever. This is music to our ears.

That leaves the odd man out, by a slim margin, being Mike Goodson.
    This could all change when camp opens. But at this point, this is what I see. Feel free to sound off below with your thoughts and opinions.
    Looking at Ivory's runs, he looks like a beast ... just what the doctor ordered. I am excited about the potential at RB and new offense under MM. Really hope we surprise and make people STFU!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    all this video does is make me realize how much the war machine sucked monkey balls...

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    all this video does is make me realize how much the war machine sucked monkey balls...
    But not in the Playoffs.. He avg 4.2 ypc as a Jet in the regular season not the worst back the jets ever had..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    But not in the Playoffs.. He avg 4.2 ypc as a Jet in the regular season not the worst back the jets ever had..
    the dude just has 0 explosiveness and 0 wow factor...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    u and ur curtis martin agenda...lol

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    u and ur curtis martin agenda...lol
    When did I say anything about Martin?? Was Greene good in the playoffs or not??

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    will best Jet rb since Martin. Goodson may be close behind.. Izdik is 100X better than MT

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love the highlights but had to mute the video because of that dubstep garbage, so annoying.

I really love the Ivory + Goodson tandem. Strong physical guy + small shift speed guy. Both guys have an opportunity for a fresh start and I hope they seize it.

Not to mention Bilal Powell is a solid, if unremarkable RB that's perfectly suited for a third string role. And even Joe McKnight has some use as a special teamer.

Right now it's looking like

1) DL is set
    2) Secondary is set (I'm sure we'll figure out the safety position)
    3) Running game is set

Questions still at
    1) QB obviously
    2) WR (although I still like Stephen Hill and I'm optimistic he can develop)
    3) LB (maybe the shift of Coples to a hybrid role will temporarily fix this)
    4) TE (although I don't think a stud TE is needed. Drafting Eifart would of been a luxury, not a necessity. I'm much more interested in a TE that can help the offensive line then a big-name TE like Gronk or Jimmy Graham.
    5) Special teams, since Westoff is gone

I think the QB question will be solved pretty easily actually. I see Garrard starting the season and grooming Geno. Probably by week 6 we'll see Geno earn the starting job outright. I have no clue if Jets will release Sanchez or stick with him as a backup for the year but I highly doubt he'll ever be a consistent starter for us again (and probably won't ever be a starter in the league again). I do want to keep McElroy as a 3rd stringer.

I think the WR position will be truly sorted out in the 2014 draft.

I think LBs, and TE will also be sorted out in the 2014 draft.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    That video (as well as the others I've seen) certainly whets the appetite for what could be

While there is little not to be impressed with ... The 2 aspects that I loved the most were:

1. The straight arm ... Very punishing & well timed ... Turned a couple decent runs into great runs.

2. The nose for the end zone around the goal line ... A couple of those plays he just hit the hole between the Guards/Center and fired through at 100 MPH ... Did not waste time or energy dancing around ... With all the bodies stacked up in those final 10-20 yards of turf I loved seeing that

Stay Healthy Brother and this will likely be my favorite move under the new regime

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleem View Post
    He is Shonn Greene with a second gear. What strikes me most is his balance. His knee doesn't touch the ground until it absolutely has to.

Injuries are the issue. Other than that, rotating out with Goodson and Powell/McKnight, the running game is going to be above average. Perhaps VERY above average.
    To me, Ivory and Greene bear virtually no resemblance whatsoever.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Good 1st post 113

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    will best Jet rb since Martin. Goodson may be close behind.. Izdik is 100X better than MT
    Actually Thomas Jones avg more tds in a season as a Jet then Martin did and also has the record for most rushing yds in a game and avg 4.1 ypc..

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    Good 1st post 113
    Thanks! I agree with your point about Ivory not dancing around. The thing that really stood out was his quick clean cuts. It looks like he sees the field really well and times his cuts perfectly.

I'm crossing my fingers he stays healthy all year because I've always thought he was the best Saints RB and now he's our RB

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beast!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone think that Ivory's running style and the NFL's new rule against RBs lowering their head in the open field to bowl over defenders is gonna be a problem for this player ?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Does anyone think that Ivory's running style and the NFL's new rule against RBs lowering their head in the open field to bowl over defenders is gonna be a problem for this player ?
    This is actually a very good question .... Had not thought of this.
    Last edited by Dunnie; 05-05-2013 at 05:28 AM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green + White View Post
    I like this comparison!
    Lmao Shonn Greene can't break a tackle to save his life. This guy runs through people. The only question is can he avoid injury because of his aggressive style.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seems like a great change of pace back.