Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Chris Ivory video highlights

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aside from health and durability, I see very few weaknesses in his game.

He's a violent runner with good vision, balance, and cutting ability. He has quick feet, the speed to get around the corner, and a nose for the end zone.

He has a very high ceiling, and he's going into the prime of his career with very low mileage.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Apparently the assumption that Ivory can't block or catch is premature. He was never targeted much, or asked to block often, but when he was asked to he did a good job at both of those things. Seems he just might have some potential there.

This is from Bent at BSG. There's more there. http://thejetsblog.com/bga/bga-scout...ry/#more-72006

Blocking;
    Based on the evidence from the film, itís difficult to fault him in pass protection. There was one play where he had to pick up an outside rush and he didnít get over in time, but he still was able to get enough of his man to force him wide so Brees was still able to get off the throw without being pressured and there was one other play where he was double teaming with the left tackle and the defensive end split them, although he tripped as he did so and again was unable to put pressure on Brees. Other than that, he was pretty flawless. Granted, some of these pass protection assignments were straightforward Ė double teaming on a tackleís man or getting wide to force a pass rusher back inside where a tackle could pick him up. There were a handful of individual blitz pickups though, including one where he read the cornerback coming off the edge and got across in plenty of time to allow Brees to make a first down throw to that manís side. In such situations, he never blocked the wrong guy and he wasnít driven off his spot as backs often are in that situation. He also showed a decent ability to make a cut-block on the edge following a fake handoff, something the Saints often did, including several times in the red zone for touchdowns.

Receiving;
    When Ivory does catch the ball, heís so good in space that he does represent a decent threat. Five of his six catches in the professional ranks went for at least nine yards, including the spectacular 76-yard touchdown youíll have seen if you watched the 2010 highlight reel linked to above. All of them were on swing passes to the flat, apart from one where he caught a dump-off underneath and broke two tackles to gain 15.
    His low numbers are mainly just a product of them just not throwing to him. Watching footage of those plays on which he ran a route, some saw the quarterback make a quick throw before heíd even looked back for the ball, some saw him tracked into the flat by a defender and some simply saw Brees take a downfield option instead

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why does Ivory keep running through the holes opened up for him or find new ones? Isn't an RB's job to head butt the nearest defender?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    Why does Ivory keep running through the holes opened up for him or find new ones? Isn't an RB's job to head butt the nearest defender?
    You would think that Greene should have been a great blocker wouldn't you? sadly it doesn't work that way.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL...Greene had 6 carries for 20 yards or more in during his entire Jet career. My guess is that the Jets backfield could get that in this season alone.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't remind us!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    LOL...Greene had 6 carries for 20 yards or more in during his entire Jet career. My guess is that the Jets backfield could get that in this season alone.
    wow. any idea if powell had runs of more than 20 yards last year?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shonn Greene is atrocious. I am ecstatic that he is not a Jet anymore.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    wow. any idea if powell had runs of more than 20 yards last year?
    None. He had a couple for 18 and 15, but nothing of 20 or greater. Powell had 110 carries. Greene had 2 runs over 20 yards on 276 carries. Powell averaged 4.0 YPC, Greene had 3.9 YPC.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    None. He had a couple for 18 and 15, but nothing of 20 or greater. Powell had 110 carries. Greene had 2 runs over 20 yards on 276 carries. Powell averaged 4.0 YPC, Greene had 3.9 YPC.
    Greene flat out sucks.

Powell was better at finding holes but is not explosive enough to do much after he gets through the hole.

Ivory can find holes, explode through the hole and break tackles. That makes him better than both Powell and Greene.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Greene flat out sucks.

Powell was better at finding holes but is not explosive enough to do much after he gets through the hole.

Ivory can find holes, explode through the hole and break tackles. That makes him better than both Powell and Greene.
    Correct. As bad as Sachez is at playing the quarterback position, Shonn Greene is just as bad as a RB. Truly one of, if not THE worst starter in the NFL.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Greene flat out sucks.

Agree. He turned 20 yard gains into 8 yard gains. I have never seen a RB LOOK to run into defenders more than Greene. Even in the open field he looked for contact.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Chris Ivory pickup was a good one for the Jets. Like I said in another thread though, he's now in a system where he's expected to get the ball. He should still do well but most teams were playing nickle/dime against the Saints.

The question is going to be whether Ivory can be a feature in the offense. He probably can but it's not a given. He's going to be fed often and early against defenses looking for the run. Will he wear down or will he wear defenses down?

I still like the pickup. I just don't think he's going to get 5 yards per carry in the Jets offense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Does anyone think that Ivory's running style and the NFL's new rule against RBs lowering their head in the open field to bowl over defenders is gonna be a problem for this player ?
    No. I think this rule is being over blown. They're talking about the crown of your helmet. That means you would have to be looking at the ground to get a penalty. This guy keeps his head up, and his eyes down field. What I like is he doesn't expect to get tackled so he doesn't lose his balance when he splits defenders.

The injuries I believe may be over blown too, to an extent. He did get injured, but I think the Saints tried to hide him on the pup list to save a roster spot when he was better.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    The Chris Ivory pickup was a good one for the Jets. Like I said in another thread though, he's now in a system where he's expected to get the ball. He should still do well but most teams were playing nickle/dime against the Saints.

The question is going to be whether Ivory can be a feature in the offense. He probably can but it's not a given. He's going to be fed often and early against defenses looking for the run. Will he wear down or will he wear defenses down?

I still like the pickup. I just don't think he's going to get 5 yards per carry in the Jets offense.

That is an assumption.... not fact. It's an assumption, based on the Saints being a great passing team..... however, if you watch his runs, he's doing it against 8-in-the-box/run defenses. Teams study tape, too..... he was never a big pass catcher in their offense--- when he came into the game, teams assumed "run".

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Greene flat out sucks.

yes. said differently, greene stinks, powell is a jag and ivory has a good combo of power and explosion. in the end if the jets can throw a few rbs and even a fullback out there who can catch and run it's way better than greene and mulligan. i'd like to think it will never, ever get worse than sanchez handing off to greene with mulligan as the TE.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxman View Post
    That is an assumption.... not fact. It's an assumption, based on the Saints being a great passing team..... however, if you watch his runs, he's doing it against 8-in-the-box/run defenses. Teams study tape, too..... he was never a big pass catcher in their offense--- when he came into the game, teams assumed "run".
    Not according to this 2012 highlight reel on you tube. Mostly 7 in the box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI1889cdsEE

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh great, now I've got that song stuck in my head again... BRRRRAANNNNGG WEET WEET WEET WEET WEET WEET WEET WEET BRROONNNGGGG BEEP BOOP BEEP BOOP BEEP BOOOP

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate it when the video is so poorly edited and sped up that it doesn't even look real.

It just look ridiculous.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

7 in the box is standard defense. Not a nickle/dime that you were talking about. Nice try cutting down anything positive as per usual. I count 8, even 9 guys in the picture on a lot of those runs anyway. Not one nickle though.
    Last edited by NY's stepchild; 05-08-2013 at 07:05 PM.