Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Oday Aboushi ~ ~ ~

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    Idiot.
    yup...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

another jet bust

from the west bank to new york city.the chances of him succeeding are limited.I can't figure the jets draft crew out.there were much better prospects available at 0.t. then aboushi.maybe woody is looking to draw the muslim community to root for the jets.he did the samething with sanchezz.looking to bring the latin community into the fold.help help help.
    Last edited by jets rooter; 05-03-2013 at 07:39 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jets rooter View Post
    from the west bank to new york city.the chances of him succeeding are limited.I can't figure the jets draft crew out.there were much better prospects available at 0.t. then aboushi.maybe woody is looking to draw the muslim community to root for the jets.he did the samething with sanchezz.looking to bring the latin community into the fold.help help help.
    wow...just, WOW

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it was a good pick. I like that they won't be just handing the position over to Howard, let him fight for it. Also can probably play OG.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rewatched the senior bowl, and i gotta say Aboushi was consistently outplayed in that game. He got snaps at OT and OG in the game, mostly going up against Datone Jones and Kawann Short. Both those guys made Aboushi look bad. Aboushi looks better at Guard than Tackle, but he was consistently beaten at both spots in that game...

Winters on the other hand looked great in that game! He was mostly lined up at guard against John Jenkins who outweighs him by like 40 pounds. Winters handled him anyway. I learned why the word "nasty" is often applied to Winters...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    I think it was a good pick. I like that they won't be just handing the position over to Howard, let him fight for it. Also can probably play OG.
    one word... competition

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrex View Post
    Rewatched the senior bowl, and i gotta say Aboushi was consistently outplayed in that game. He got snaps at OT and OG in the game, mostly going up against Datone Jones and Kawann Short. Both those guys made Aboushi look bad. Aboushi looks better at Guard than Tackle, but he was consistently beaten at both spots in that game...

Winters on the other hand looked great in that game! He was mostly lined up at guard against John Jenkins who outweighs him by like 40 pounds. Winters handled him anyway. I learned why the word "nasty" is often applied to Winters...
    I don't expect Oday to start right away. I think Winters will be a day 1 starter though.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets' Oday Aboushi a rarity in the NFL

The congratulatory messages flooded Oday Aboushi’s Twitter page for a few days after he was drafted by the Jets two weeks ago.Many were happy to see the hometown kid from the New York borough of Staten Island starting his NFL career close to his family and friends. It was the other tweets, first dozens and then hundreds, from places such as Dubai and Saudi Arabia that made the enormity of the situation really sink in.

As a Palestinian-American, the Jets’ offensive lineman is a rarity in the NFL. Aboushi, drafted in the fifth round out after a standout career at the University of Virginia, is one of just a handful of players with that ethnic background.“People weren’t just talking about me being a Jet, but being one of the first Arab-Americans, a Palestinian-American, to be drafted. It’s settling in now. It’s a different feeling, one that I’m embracing and really loving.”As are Palestinian-Americans around the country. The short list of NFL players with Palestinian backgrounds includes former linebacker Tarek Saleh; former quarterback Gibran Hamdan, who is half Palestinian and half Pakistani; and former defensive lineman Nader Abdallah.“You don’t see many of us in the sport,” said Aboushi, who signed a four-year deal Friday. “So for me to kind of break that mold and sort of open the door for other people, and show them that it is possible, it’s a great feeling. It’s a pleasure for me, an honor, and I’m happy to be able to be that sort of person for people.”

The 6-foot-5, 308-pound Aboushi is the ninth of 10 children born in Brooklyn to Palestinian parents who came to the U.S. from the town of Beit Hanina in the occupied territory of the West Bank. His family, which now resides in Staten Island, includes lawyers, doctors and accountants, but Aboushi might end up being the greatest success story of all.

And to some, he already is.

“You can’t underestimate what a big deal this is,” said Linda Sarsour, the executive director of the Arab-American Association of New York. “When a lot of Americans think of Palestinians, I feel like there are two images. There’s either the image of a suicide bomber or an image of some poor refugee in Gaza. There’s really nothing in between.

“Oday, being a young Palestinian-American born to Palestinian immigrant parents in New York and gets drafted by the Jets — the dream of every American boy — I think gives a new image to what it is when you think of Palestinian, when you think Arab and when you think Muslim.”Sarsour, a fellow Palestinian-American, is a long-time friend of Aboushi’s family. Sarsour’s 14-year-old son, Tamir, has been using a photo of him posing with Aboushi, when the offensive lineman helped Staten Island victims of Superstorm Sandy in December, as his Facebook profile picture.“He’s a role model for young Arab-American and Muslim people who are trying to find their roles in the community, like, who are we and what can we be in this country at this time?” Sarsour said. “It has been such a profound experience. There are not many times that we feel like this, unfortunately. I can’t remember the last time post-9/11 that I’ve felt this proud and so triumphant and victorious as when Oday was drafted by the Jets.”

Embracing his background, and being celebrated for it, is nothing new for Aboushi. He was one of about a dozen Muslim athletes honored in 2011 at a reception hosted by then-Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton at the State Department in Washington.

“He’s not the first of his kind, but what makes him different, to me, is that he’s proud of who he is and where he comes from,” Sarsour said. “The fact he’s proud to say he’s Muslim and use a word like ‘Allah,’ which scares a lot of people, and the fact he can’t dance around his name — it’s Oday Aboushi, not something like Michael Smith — makes him different. He’s figured out how to become an All-American football player and how to still be proud of being a Palestinian, and an Arab and a Muslim, and knowing that he is a rising star in a community that needed a rising star.”Aboushi, who speaks English and Arabic, is a practicing Muslim who went to Xaverian High School, an all-boys Catholic school in Brooklyn — which might seem like a potentially uncomfortable mix.

“It was never an issue,” he said. “It really taught me a lot about the two religions. I didn’t have to, but I attended the masses out of respect. There’s nothing wrong with learning and broadening your horizons.’’ Honestly, besides the football aspect, religion class was actually one of the better aspects of my time at Xaverian.”At Virginia, the holy month of Ramadan fell during training camp with the football team. As is custom, he fasted from sunrise to sunset, having the school’s trainers monitor his health and nutrition.“There were some days I’d break it, like during two-a-days where you don’t want to put your body in harm’s way,” Aboushi said. “But for the most part, the trainers did a great job with early breakfasts and late dinners.”

Ramadan ends around Aug. 7 this year, about a week into training camp with the Jets, but Aboushi doesn’t think it will be an issue for him or the team.He is expected to work mostly at left and right tackle to add depth to the Jets’ revamped offensive line, and possibly some at guard. And, through it all, Aboushi will have plenty of people from all over the map rooting him on.

“This is how you build bridges with the rest of the world, an NFL player is the way you do it,” Sarsour said. “And I think it’s powerful.”

> http://www.mycentraljersey.com/viewa...shi-rarity-NFL

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by baldnuts1 View Post
    Just what we need a terrorist playing RT
    Would you like some red to go with that neck of yours?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    i think he's kinda cute...

Right? Dude's got the cutest little smirk, lol.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrex View Post

WINTER IS COMING!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shouldn't he go through security when he goes into the stadium.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aboushi is a swing tackle for the immediate future. If he works hard and develops he may become a starter in 2-3 years. Thats all you can ask for from a 5th Round pick.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by baldnuts1 View Post
    Just what we need a terrorist playing RT
    So immature.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

aboushis feelings

how would aboushi feel if the jets drafted a jewish offensive lineman to play next to him?lets hear it from the jet fans.
    Last edited by jets rooter; 05-14-2013 at 10:28 AM. Reason: opinions

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    how would aboushi feel if the jets drafted a jewish offensive lineman to play next to him?lets hear it from the jet fans.
    I highly doubt he would care. Amazingly, Jews and Palestinians can actually get along if they want to.

Also, he's from Brooklyn, so it's even less pf a thing.
    Last edited by McGinley; 05-14-2013 at 10:32 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The guy grew up in Brooklyn, do you really think he cares?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

He probably wouldn't be nearly as immature about it as you.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lmao... So stupid.