Thread: The media attention is way out of proportion

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The media attention is way out of proportion

Remember the old days, when nobody except local beat writers wrote anything about the Jets? It was remarkable when they got any kind of mention in national media.

I think the ball got rolling with Favre's arrival in 2008. Suddenly, national writers were covering the Jets, and controversy was the main interest, something Favre was good at generating.

Then, with Rex Ryan's arrival, the Jets remained squarely in the natonal radar as Ryan's bombastic style kept the headlines rolling. Sanchez as the next NY QB savior, Cromartie's 67 out-of-wedlock kids, the HBO special, the Revis holdout, foot-gate, Bart Scott-isms, etc. It wasn't too bad when the Jets were winning. They got quite a bit of love from the national writers when the antics were backed up by good play on the field.

When they stumbled in 2011, it predictably became fashionable to kick them. In 2012, with the addition of Tebow, kicking the Jets became a pasttime. It didn't help that Ryan and company kept providing headline fodder with stupid quotes and antics.

Now, here we are in 2013, and everything the Jets do is microscopically examined for potential entertainment value.

Forget about the fact that they got great value in a potential franchise QB well into the 2nd round. That's not a story. What is a story is that the QB's character may have some wrinkles; with the amount of ink thrown at this, you'd think he went with the first pick in the draft. Every bad draft grade they get focuses on Geno Smith. Do they notice that the Jets got perhaps the draft's best corner and one of the best D-lineman available?

Then there are the post-Tebow-release articles, where the writers make it sound like the Jets hit Tebow over the head with a rubber hose, threw him in the trunk, and drove him around for a season until he finally managed to free himself from capture so he can pursue the amazing things that were delayed by his being taken hostage by the Jets. Yet nobody in the NFL seems to want him.

I've never seen a group of sportswriters more interested in dumping on a team than what I see with the Jets. Did the Jets earn some of it? Sure. But its out of proportion.

How I long for the good old days, when nobody said or wrote anything about the Jets.

Only one thing fixes this: Winning. The dumpers will reverse course and get on the Jets bandwagon again when the Jets kick some ass on the field.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think things will quiet down again now. The Tebow network (the sports leader) will begin covering his search for a new team (the Omaha Beef of the Nebraska Indoor League have made a firm offer) and beginning dismantling their full time 24/7 Tebow Tent just outside Florham Park

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rbstern View Post
    Remember the old days, when nobody except local beat writers wrote anything about the Jets?
    then parcells came. and curtis martin came. and herm edwards came. and farve came. and rex came. and finally, tebow came.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    I think things will quiet down again now. The Tebow network (the sports leader) will begin covering his search for a new team (the Omaha Beef of the Nebraska Indoor League have made a firm offer) and beginning dismantling their full time 24/7 Tebow Tent just outside Florham Park
    I wouldn't bet on it. All of these slack jawed Yokels will just substitute Geno Smith for Tebow and carry on as usual.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure you understand the word proportion.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't think so really

Geno doesn't have his own ministry and acolytes.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tebow just draws too much attention, plain and simple. It is getting a little better, but now with Geno Smith's agents acting like high school girls the media will report on that until it gets dry.

They are slowly running out of things and if the Jets can play well on the field then a lot of negative media can be put to rest. You don't call a team a circus if they are winning, which is why I want us to win in the worst way.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that winning will help, but I can definitely imagine us at 11-3 and the media calling our schedule weak, referencing injuries on the teams we've beat, etc. they'll find something.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    The writers at Yahoo still haven't let up. Someone wrote a column about Geno playing with his phone during the draft.

Are things that really slow?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I wouldn't bet on it. All of these slack jawed Yokels will just substitute Geno Smith for Tebow and carry on as usual.
    +1

Sadly, that's how it works.

Publishers and editors have financial plans and the financial plans are based on prior years' back pages so until another NY sports team becomes a circulation-driving equivalent the Jets are going to be 'enhanced'.

The good news? The Knicks meltdown and A-Rod returning should get us off the hook until October. After that, pray for a juicy college scandal.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    The writers at Yahoo still haven't let up. Someone wrote a column about Geno playing with his phone during the draft.

Are things that really slow?
    Was there a more controversial pick in the draft?

We picked this year's most polarizing college prospect. Alongside last year's most polarizing NFL player and the most polarizing NFL head coach it's blog gold. Throw down that it's the NY market and its irresistible.

SAR I

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    EJ Manuel at 16?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

We picked this year's most polarizing college prospect. Alongside last year's most polarizing NFL player and the most polarizing NFL head coach it's blog gold. Throw down that it's the NY market and its irresistible.

SAR I
    Don't agree.

Had the Jets picked Rhodes, Te'o, or any of a number of other players with baggage, that pick would go to the top of the charts as most polarizing.

As you aptly described earlier, there is a financial method to this madness.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    It will be church-like quiet at the end of the year when Rex and Butt-Boy are shown the door. Then these creeps will have to judge the Jets not on their employees, but on how the employees actually do their jobs. Kudos to Conor Orr, by the way, who referred to Francesa the other day as "the local blusterer." That's perfect.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I

SAR I
    Quote Originally Posted by bjetsb View Post
    EJ Manuel at 16?
    THAT was the biggest gamble in the early rounds of the draft.

Taking a potential boom or bust player like Geno Smith at #39 in Round 2, who also plays the most important position on the field isn't really controversial. It's an appropriate and calculated risk. The Jets didn't use a Top 10 pick on this guy like we did on Sanchez. We had already passed on Geno Smith TWICE in this draft, we never traded up and simply shrugged our shoulders and submitted his name on a card when he dropped into our laps.

The worst thing that could happen? Geno simply never becomes a great player and starts to fade away like some other of our second round picks. Remember, this is a team that's used 2nd round picks on Vlad Ducasse, Jon McGraw, Kellen Clemens and Rick Terry during their history. Geno's collegiate career, his measureables, and his projection to the NFL puts him at least as good as those other prospects were perceived coming out of college. I'd argue he's a better prospect than most of those guys.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    I agree that winning will help, but I can definitely imagine us at 11-3 and the media calling our schedule weak, referencing injuries on the teams we've beat, etc. they'll find something.
    So does SAR I.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    THAT was the biggest gamble in the early rounds of the draft.

Taking a potential boom or bust player like Geno Smith at #39 in Round 2, who also plays the most important position on the field isn't really controversial. It's an appropriate and calculated risk. The Jets didn't use a Top 10 pick on this guy like we did on Sanchez. We had already passed on Geno Smith TWICE in this draft, we never traded up and simply shrugged our shoulders and submitted his name on a card when he dropped into our laps.

The worst thing that could happen? Geno simply never becomes a great player and starts to fade away like some other of our second round picks. Remember, this is a team that's used 2nd round picks on Vlad Ducasse, Jon McGraw, Kellen Clemens and Rick Terry during their history. Geno's collegiate career, his measureables, and his projection to the NFL puts him at least as good as those other prospects were perceived coming out of college. I'd argue he's a better prospect than most of those guys.
    This.

The bills reach drastically on a qb that would have been there for them in round 2. They gave 16 million to free agent megabust Mario Williams last year. Verdict? Great draft, solid team!

The Eagles draft Matt Barkley and create an instant three way qb controversy. Verdict? Silence.

The giants draft nassib into a permafrost Jim Sorgi bench role, effectively ending his career before it starts. Verdict? Zomg I can't believe what the Jets did to poor Tebow.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    And this Geno Smith fired his agent coverage is out of control- this should be a blip but it was a 20 minute (lirterally) conversation on espn today.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    I'm not sure you understand the word proportion.
    It's called proportion control. Look it up, chunky!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green + White View Post
    So does SAR I.
    Yeah, that guy must be a blast at cocktail parties.