Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Positions: Worse this year compared to Last

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Positions: Worse this year compared to Last

At what positions do you think the Jets are worse at this upcoming year compared to last year?

TE (although Dustin Keller barely played last year)
    S

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post
    At what positions do you think the Jets are worse at this upcoming year compared to last year?

S
    No one knows till you see what happens in Camp and pre season would one??

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Geno Smith is a Libra

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Geno Smith is a Libra
    And Martina is a Lesbian..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you are talking game #1 last year.....cb(Revis), TE,NT(Pouha),RG(Moore), S(Landry&Bell). If talking end of year......TE,NT,RG&S.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

S
    vs. 2012

Safety: Landry Brother swap is a downgrade. we don;t know who the starter is at the other Safety spot yet.

Tight End: Keller gone, Baker hurt and gone, only Cumberland and some unknown remain.

IMO, thats it. Cornerback will be better than 2012 (as Revis did not play in 2012), and Linebacker may look worse, but I'll bet it's better with younger, hungrier players in place of aged veteran "name" players.

Everywhere else should be better or at worst, equal, talent wise.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    FS

That's really it, IMO.

Guys like Revis, Keller, and Pouha didn't really play last year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    If you are talking game #1 last year.....cb(Revis), TE,NT(Pouha),RG(Moore), S(Landry&Bell). If talking end of year......TE,NT,RG&S.
    Pouha sucked last season, he wasn't the same after that back injury. There is a reason hes still unsigned.

We are definitely worse at safety than last season. Dawan Landry replaces Yeremiah Bell, but we have no real replacement for LaRon Landry.

Keller barely played last season, so I can't say we are worse at TE, we are prety much the same.

RG we are worse at, though may not be by much if Colon stays healthy.

WR we are the same at.

We improved at LB, DL, OL (depth wise), RB, and potentially QB. Also huge upgrade at OC with Marty Mornhinweg. We also improved at CB over the group we had after Revis went down. Milliner will be better than Wilson IMO.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    better at qb when Turnover 6 gets cut on June 1

worse at safety and punt protector

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You cannot eliminate the guys that were injured last year. They would be on the team.

So ...

CB(Revis)
    TE(Keller)
    S(Landry AND Bell were both better than Dawan)
    LB - Unclear
    WR - The same ... bad.

MM is the biggest improvement so far.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hard to tell right now. We might still grab a couple veteran free agents before the season starts.

I'll tell you this much:
    - Our front 7 has improved in my opinion.
    - Our cornerbacks should be better considering we didn't have Revis for most of last year.
    - We finally have some competition at the QB position.
    - Our offensive line has more depth and is much improved.
    - Our RBs are more dynamic.
    - WR is still a question mark but we have some young guys in Kerley, Hill, Gates & White plus a lot of guys trying to make the roster. If Holmes comes back healthy and we sign a FA then I see that position as improved.
    - Our FB is improved with T-Bo.. I really didn't like Hilliard last year he missed a lot of blocks in the backfield.

Question Marks:
    -Tight End we have a lot of question marks. I could see Cumberland being a quality #2 TE right now so I want this position addressed. Maybe all 3 developed at a rapid pace and we just don't know yet .
    - Wide Receiver we need to grab a free agent. I am pretty confident we will do so that's why I listed it above too. We actually have a lot of young guys at the position.
    - Safety we have some question marks but you have to remember that Bell was 36 & Eric Smith was a liability. I honestly believe that Josh Bush and Antonio Allen will be comparable. If anything, they are faster than both of them. Dawan and Laron are actually comparable all things considered. Laron is more dynamic but an injury risk. Dawan is solid in the run game and won't be a liability.

As a team, I see us as better rather than worse on paper. The only loss this offseason that we have not addressed is Dustin Keller. When you really think about it, we have replaced every single guy we have lost.

Bart Scott, Bryan Thomas - DeMario Davis, Antwan Barnes
    Mike DeVito, Sione Pouha - Sheldon Richardson, Antonio Garay
    Moore, Slauson - Colon, Peterman, Winters
    Darrelle Revis - Dee Milliner
    Shonn Greene - Ivory, Goodson
    Laron Landry - Dawan Landry
    Yeremiah Bell - Josh Bush
    Eric Smith - Antonio Allen

Don't get me wrong, some of our replacements are worse on that list. However, we have gotten younger at just about every single position. Not saying Milliner will ever be Revis but with Cro, Milliner, & Wilson we are better off with CBs than many teams in the league.

Bottom Line:
    While everyone has called us a circus, John Idzik has quietly replaced almost every player we lost at about 20% of the cost. We have gotten younger, faster, & not many players have their jobs guaranteed. There will be more competition all around, which is what you want as a football team.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Was Laron Really That Good?

He was good for a 15-yard penalty too for the first 6 games of the season.

Quote from TheJetsBlog, Read Full Article Here.

Yards per Target: LaRon 10.2 // Dawan 8.5
    Yards per Coverage Snap: LaRon 0.92 // Dawan 0.66
    Completion Percentage: Laron 59% // Dawan 68%

They both gave up 30 catches, but Dawan gave those up in fewer targets. However, more damage was done on the catches given up by LaRon, so Dawan’s efficiency is slightly better.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think we could probably surmise we'll be in worse shape at certain positions, right?

I think we are weaker at LB. Slightly weaker at CB, and a huge gaping hole at Safety.

On offense, we clearly got better, but that isn't saying much.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    better at qb when Turnover 6 gets cut on June 1

worse at safety and punt protector
    You do realize you're in denial right? Realistically I would put his chances overall at about 20% of being cut at any point in 13. Being cut on June 1 is close to 0

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I think we could probably surmise we'll be in worse shape at certain positions, right?

I think we are weaker at LB. Slightly weaker at CB, and a huge gaping hole at Safety.

On offense, we clearly got better, but that isn't saying much.
    Every thing at this point is just speculation MJ.. We have players that weren't starters last year and new to the system that could shine this year.. Unlike many Jet fans I like to look at the positive side I see no fun in being a doom and gloomer like many seem to relish..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Geno Smith is a Libra
    At least we drafted 2 Virgos (Dee and Bohannon).

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    You do realize you're in denial right? Realistically I would put his chances overall at about 20% of being cut at any point in 13. Being cut on June 1 is close to 0
    Yup. Bottom line is, Sanchez has been introduced to Marty's system already. That is a HUGE plus for Marty, who will probably have the largest input on the QB decision at the end of the day.

McElroy has 1 career start that didn't go all that well, Garrard hasn't played in 2 years and is an injury risk, and Geno Smith SHOULD be groomed for 2014 (I don't mind if he comes in halfway through the season if we are already out of it).

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Every thing at this point is just speculation MJ.. We have players that weren't starters last year and new to the system that could shine this year.. Unlike many Jet fans I like to look at the positive side I see no fun in being a doom and gloomer like many seem to relish..
    My response was not to be a doom and gloomer. Merely an attempt at an objective analysis of projected strengths/weaknesses.

I don't see the LB being stronger, we did nothing to improve them. We just cut all of the veterans. Be it good or bad from a financial standpoint is irrelevant.

Secondary could only be looked as a weakness IMO at this point. Everyone has these visions of Cro being consistently great like he was last season for the rest of his career. I don't see it. He's never been as good as he was last season. Not to mention a year older. Throw in a rookie in Revis's normal spot, there will be a learning curve. Even if there isn't does anyone really think he'll be as good as Revis? I highly doubt that.

Safety has a big gigantic hole at FS.

It's not hard to see what I am talking about. Call it what you please, but these are very real concerns anyone would have with the defense going into 2013 and certainly not exclusive to me alone.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyWill View Post
    Hard to tell right now. We might still grab a couple veteran free agents before the season starts.

I'll tell you this much:
    - Our front 7 has improved in my opinion.
    - Our cornerbacks should be better considering we didn't have Revis for most of last year.
    - We finally have some competition at the QB position.
    - Our offensive line has more depth and is much improved.
    - Our RBs are more dynamic.
    - WR is still a question mark but we have some young guys in Kerley, Hill, Gates & White plus a lot of guys trying to make the roster. If Holmes comes back healthy and we sign a FA then I see that position as improved.
    - Our FB is improved with T-Bo.. I really didn't like Hilliard last year he missed a lot of blocks in the backfield.

Question Marks:
    -Tight End we have a lot of question marks. I could see Cumberland being a quality #2 TE right now so I want this position addressed. Maybe all 3 developed at a rapid pace and we just don't know yet .
    - Wide Receiver we need to grab a free agent. I am pretty confident we will do so that's why I listed it above too. We actually have a lot of young guys at the position.
    - Safety we have some question marks but you have to remember that Bell was 36 & Eric Smith was a liability. I honestly believe that Josh Bush and Antonio Allen will be comparable. If anything, they are faster than both of them. Dawan and Laron are actually comparable all things considered. Laron is more dynamic but an injury risk. Dawan is solid in the run game and won't be a liability.

As a team, I see us as better rather than worse on paper. The only loss this offseason that we have not addressed is Dustin Keller. When you really think about it, we have replaced every single guy we have lost.

Bart Scott, Bryan Thomas - DeMario Davis, Antwan Barnes
    Mike DeVito, Sione Pouha - Sheldon Richardson, Antonio Garay
    Moore, Slauson - Colon, Peterman, Winters
    Darrelle Revis - Dee Milliner
    Shonn Greene - Ivory, Goodson
    Laron Landry - Dawan Landry
    Yeremiah Bell - Josh Bush
    Eric Smith - Antonio Allen

Don't get me wrong, some of our replacements are worse on that list. However, we have gotten younger at just about every single position. Not saying Milliner will ever be Revis but with Cro, Milliner, & Wilson we are better off with CBs than many teams in the league.

Bottom Line:
    While everyone has called us a circus, John Idzik has quietly replaced almost every player we lost at about 20% of the cost. We have gotten younger, faster, & not many players have their jobs guaranteed. There will be more competition all around, which is what you want as a football team.
    Salamander.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    You cannot eliminate the guys that were injured last year. They would be on the team.
    Sure you can. If they're not on the field, it doesn't matter who you have.