At what positions do you think the Jets are worse at this upcoming year compared to last year?
TE (although Dustin Keller barely played last year)
If you are talking game #1 last year.....cb(Revis), TE,NT(Pouha),RG(Moore), S(Landry&Bell). If talking end of year......TE,NT,RG&S.
Safety: Landry Brother swap is a downgrade. we don;t know who the starter is at the other Safety spot yet.
Tight End: Keller gone, Baker hurt and gone, only Cumberland and some unknown remain.
IMO, thats it. Cornerback will be better than 2012 (as Revis did not play in 2012), and Linebacker may look worse, but I'll bet it's better with younger, hungrier players in place of aged veteran "name" players.
Everywhere else should be better or at worst, equal, talent wise.
That's really it, IMO.
Guys like Revis, Keller, and Pouha didn't really play last year.
We are definitely worse at safety than last season. Dawan Landry replaces Yeremiah Bell, but we have no real replacement for LaRon Landry.
Keller barely played last season, so I can't say we are worse at TE, we are prety much the same.
RG we are worse at, though may not be by much if Colon stays healthy.
WR we are the same at.
We improved at LB, DL, OL (depth wise), RB, and potentially QB. Also huge upgrade at OC with Marty Mornhinweg. We also improved at CB over the group we had after Revis went down. Milliner will be better than Wilson IMO.
better at qb when Turnover 6 gets cut on June 1
worse at safety and punt protector
You cannot eliminate the guys that were injured last year. They would be on the team.
S(Landry AND Bell were both better than Dawan)
LB - Unclear
WR - The same ... bad.
MM is the biggest improvement so far.
Hard to tell right now. We might still grab a couple veteran free agents before the season starts.
I'll tell you this much:
- Our front 7 has improved in my opinion.
- Our cornerbacks should be better considering we didn't have Revis for most of last year.
- We finally have some competition at the QB position.
- Our offensive line has more depth and is much improved.
- Our RBs are more dynamic.
- WR is still a question mark but we have some young guys in Kerley, Hill, Gates & White plus a lot of guys trying to make the roster. If Holmes comes back healthy and we sign a FA then I see that position as improved.
- Our FB is improved with T-Bo.. I really didn't like Hilliard last year he missed a lot of blocks in the backfield.
-Tight End we have a lot of question marks. I could see Cumberland being a quality #2 TE right now so I want this position addressed. Maybe all 3 developed at a rapid pace and we just don't know yet .
- Wide Receiver we need to grab a free agent. I am pretty confident we will do so that's why I listed it above too. We actually have a lot of young guys at the position.
- Safety we have some question marks but you have to remember that Bell was 36 & Eric Smith was a liability. I honestly believe that Josh Bush and Antonio Allen will be comparable. If anything, they are faster than both of them. Dawan and Laron are actually comparable all things considered. Laron is more dynamic but an injury risk. Dawan is solid in the run game and won't be a liability.
As a team, I see us as better rather than worse on paper. The only loss this offseason that we have not addressed is Dustin Keller. When you really think about it, we have replaced every single guy we have lost.
Bart Scott, Bryan Thomas - DeMario Davis, Antwan Barnes
Mike DeVito, Sione Pouha - Sheldon Richardson, Antonio Garay
Moore, Slauson - Colon, Peterman, Winters
Darrelle Revis - Dee Milliner
Shonn Greene - Ivory, Goodson
Laron Landry - Dawan Landry
Yeremiah Bell - Josh Bush
Eric Smith - Antonio Allen
Don't get me wrong, some of our replacements are worse on that list. However, we have gotten younger at just about every single position. Not saying Milliner will ever be Revis but with Cro, Milliner, & Wilson we are better off with CBs than many teams in the league.
While everyone has called us a circus, John Idzik has quietly replaced almost every player we lost at about 20% of the cost. We have gotten younger, faster, & not many players have their jobs guaranteed. There will be more competition all around, which is what you want as a football team.
Was Laron Really That Good?
He was good for a 15-yard penalty too for the first 6 games of the season.
Quote from TheJetsBlog, Read Full Article Here.
Yards per Target: LaRon 10.2 // Dawan 8.5
Yards per Coverage Snap: LaRon 0.92 // Dawan 0.66
Completion Percentage: Laron 59% // Dawan 68%
They both gave up 30 catches, but Dawan gave those up in fewer targets. However, more damage was done on the catches given up by LaRon, so Dawan’s efficiency is slightly better.
McElroy has 1 career start that didn't go all that well, Garrard hasn't played in 2 years and is an injury risk, and Geno Smith SHOULD be groomed for 2014 (I don't mind if he comes in halfway through the season if we are already out of it).
I don't see the LB being stronger, we did nothing to improve them. We just cut all of the veterans. Be it good or bad from a financial standpoint is irrelevant.
Secondary could only be looked as a weakness IMO at this point. Everyone has these visions of Cro being consistently great like he was last season for the rest of his career. I don't see it. He's never been as good as he was last season. Not to mention a year older. Throw in a rookie in Revis's normal spot, there will be a learning curve. Even if there isn't does anyone really think he'll be as good as Revis? I highly doubt that.
Safety has a big gigantic hole at FS.
It's not hard to see what I am talking about. Call it what you please, but these are very real concerns anyone would have with the defense going into 2013 and certainly not exclusive to me alone.