Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL insider calls Geno Smith the black Ryan Leaf

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    They chose Smith just to see if they could get lucky at the QB position before next years draft. If Smith actually could beat out Sanchez and Garrard in camp and actually put up a season like Wilson or Luck or RG3 did then they've got their QB and can concentrate on other areas next year. If not, then things remain as they were going into this draft, which is 2014 is the year for a QB.

They're rolling the dice on this kid. If he comes through then it's a score, if he doesn't then they burned a 2nd rounder and they'll fix the problem next year.
    +1000.

This is why I want Smith to play some this first yr...I want to see if the kid has a shot or if we need to take another stab at QB next yr.

And, this 'let him sit a yr' stuff is crap..he's either got it or he doesn't, and it isn't like he wasn't a 3 1/2 yr starter in college.

Sure, he might sh*t the bed on occasion, but only by playing in games can you make the assessment as to the kids mental makeup and approach to the game. Practice rarely dictates what you will see on Sunday, as Mark Sanchez attests to.

Jets Insider VIP
    Unreal. Integrity in the media. Remember when that was a thing?

By the way, Smith very well may be an entitled a-hole. But in 2013, what 22 year old kid out of college isn't an entitled clueless overconfident prick? And do you really care that much?

Jets Insider VIP
    I can't believe the media hate for the Jets. I think the team develops during the first half and Geno ma.kes believers out of fans the second half of the season as the players start to jell.

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    I can't believe the media hate for the Jets. I think the team develops during the first half and Geno ma.kes believers out of fans the second half of the season as the players start to jell.
    Until we get rid of Rex ,they are going to pile it on

the scariest part of all this controversy surrounding geno is I have yet to hear him say or see him do something stupid to make me think he's a total jerk. everything I heard him say points to a smart kid and fierce competitor. I will reserve judgment on geno until the appropriate time.

In the meantime, isn't philip rivers considered to be kinda a jerk/fierce competitor as well? wouldn't we take him in a heartbeat?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Goobertron View Post
    Stephen A. Smith on ESPN First Take today:

"I have somebody incredibly connected to the NFL, works in the NFL, works with numerous players. You know what he texted me with this morning, and called Geno Smith? He called him the black Ryan Leaf. He says if he doesn’t get his act together, that’s what he’s going to end up being, because his mouth is going to get him in trouble because he doesn’t have the game to match it….I think Geno Smith needs to hear that so he can guard against it and get his mind right so he can perform. So that’s what people in the NFL are saying about you, Geno. Take notice and make sure you don’t give them ammunition to think like that."

At the 32:00 mark in this podcast: http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=9235272
    This is one of the douchiest takes ever. I've heard the guy interviewed and he is no Ryan Leaf. If he had been drafted by the Steelers or even the Jaguars, is there any chance this hate campaign would be going on?

Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    This is one of the douchiest takes ever. I've heard the guy interviewed and he is no Ryan Leaf. If he had been drafted by the Steelers or even the Jaguars, is there any chance this hate campaign would be going on?
    Nope, not a chance. It's like the media loves to play with the toy they created, the only thing is the media is starring as clowns and the average fans are too stupid to pick up on it.

Quote Originally Posted by GandWFan View Post
    Stephen Ahole Smith sould stick to bball.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    which he is also clueless about, loudmouth idiot.

Nope, not at all. Bash the Jets 24/7. Smith's a fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    LOL

Where was all of this sh*t before he became a Jet?

Seriously

This is getting beyond ridiculous.

The guy from profootweekly, Herb Arkush wrote about his attitude and work ethic a month before the draft. Teams are now speaking to the media regarding who they took and who they did not and why. Geno is getting blasted by a few GMs from not being enthused during visits. Talking on the cell phone, texting etc during meetings with personnel people. (the most common sense things that you should not do during an interview)

You don't hear anything from teams regarding players before the draft only later.

Then he goes and fires his agents after he fell in the draft like they had something to do with it.

No one questioned his talent, except for ball security and pocket awareness and the pocket awareness can come with the passage of time.

I'm beginning to smell racism here. Maybe because he's in NY and people see a black man taking the franchise QB spot away from their beloved pretty boy?

I mean there must be a reason for all of this clearly inappropriate nasty name calling?

To me, Stephen Smith is nothing but a hack. This guy wouldn't have the faintest idea what a football team is even if he tripped over one. Good for him that he happens to be black or else the claims of racism would be flying here. Or maybe he's just prejudice against his own people? Or maybe he just hates the Jets?

I don't know and I don't care, but I do think some responsible journalism should be practiced with this. ESPN should give Stephen Smith the gag rule.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    The guy from profootweekly, Herb Arkush wrote about his attitude and work ethic a month before the draft. Teams are now speaking to the media regarding who they took and who they did not and why. Geno is getting blasted by a few GMs from not being enthused during visits. Talking on the cell phone, texting etc during meetings with personnel people. (the most common sense things that you should not do during an interview)

You don't hear anything from teams regarding players before the draft only later.

Then he goes and fires his agents after he fell in the draft like they had something to do with it.

No one questioned his talent, except for ball security and pocket awareness and the pocket awareness can come with the passage of time.

I don't think that pocket awareness comes with time. If that were true Drew Bledsoe would have picked it up.

All Pro
    Besides, Ryan Leaf is the legendary Ryan Leaf because he was drafted at the top of the first round right next to Peyton Manning. Smith was a value pick at 39 and even if he is a jerk, it won't set the franchise back five years like Leaf did for the Chargers.

Besides, Ryan Leaf is the legendary Ryan Leaf because he was drafted at the top of the first round right next to Peyton Manning. Smith was a value pick at 39 and even if he is a jerk, it won't set the franchise back five years like Leaf did for the Chargers.
    +1 exactly right.

Stepehen Smith could have used any failure of a QB under the sun, Browning Nagel, Tommy Hodson, anyone, but he chose to use Ryan Leaf. Who just so happens to be the largest failure in the history of the NFL. he not only set back the organization 5 years based on being with the number 2 overall pick, he also went out of his way to be an idiot to the fans, players, fo, etc.

So saying that about Geno Smith before he has even so much as played a down when he was taken at number 39 overall, clearly indicates an ulterior motive. Whatever his reasoning is for that, prejudice against his own people, hatred for the Jets, whatever it's clearly over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Unreal. Integrity in the media. Remember when that was a thing?

By the way, Smith very well may be an entitled a-hole. But in 2013, what 22 year old kid out of college isn't an entitled clueless overconfident prick? And do you really care that much?
    Matt Barkley seems like a pretty modest guy. Doesn't come off as entitled to me.

In regards to Geno, unfortunately, I could actually see this (black Ryan Leaf) being true. Hopefully he listens to his coaches, is humble/modest and works his ass off.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    I don't see racism....I just see idiots who enjoy tearing others down....the reality of it all is that with ALL this media nonstop banter....NONE of it has any bearing on the jets who are prepping for the 2013 season.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I'm beginning to smell racism here. Maybe because he's in NY and people see a black man taking the franchise QB spot away from their beloved pretty boy?

I mean there must be a reason for all of this clearly inappropriate nasty name calling?

To me, Stephen Smith is nothing but a hack. This guy wouldn't have the faintest idea what a football team is even if he tripped over one. Good for him that he happens to be black or else the claims of racism would be flying here. Or maybe he's just prejudice against his own people? Or maybe he just hates the Jets?

I don't know and I don't care, but I do think some responsible journalism should be practiced with this. ESPN should give Stephen Smith the gag rule.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    I don't see racism....I just see idiots who enjoy tearing others down....the reality of it all is that with ALL this media nonstop banter....NONE of it has any bearing on the jets who are prepping for the 2013 season.
    People need to stop taking "NY media behavior" personally. Its not personal against the Jets or Rex or anything else. Its pure economics. There is a TON of money in the NYC area, the most in the country. You know, money people use to buy stuff. Advertisers love that.

Its all about the "good guy, bad guy" dynamic. The NY market is the only market with 2 teams in all the major sports so you see the "good guy, bad guy" dynamic all year round.

The "Good guy, bad guy" dynamic keeps things interesting, sells papers and attracts website view/hits.

The NY media likes to make fun of the Jets and give respect to the Giants. The Mets get laughed at, the Yankees get the respect. Nets got laughed at (until they moved to Brooklyn) and Knicks go the respect.

In LA, the Clippers get mocked and Lakers get respect (turned around a bit bc the Clippers are good this year), in Chicago the Cubs get love while White Sox aren't held up as highly. But those cities get breaks for a few months bc Chicago only has 1 football team and 1 basketball team while LA has 0 pro football teams.
    Last edited by houyx; 05-03-2013 at 08:02 AM.

Who is Stephen A.'s source? Manish Mehta?

Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    They chose Smith just to see if they could get lucky at the QB position before next years draft. If Smith actually could beat out Sanchez and Garrard in camp and actually put up a season like Wilson or Luck or RG3 did then they've got their QB and can concentrate on other areas next year. If not, then things remain as they were going into this draft, which is 2014 is the year for a QB.

They're rolling the dice on this kid. If he comes through then it's a score, if he doesn't then they burned a 2nd rounder and they'll fix the problem next year.
    Well said.

If Smith doesn't pan out or if he isn't good enough to beat out Mark Sanchez or a QB who's basically been out of football in two years, there are 5-6 better QB options in next years crop to choose from. The fact is if Smith was coming out next year he'd be the 6th or 7th ranked QB, and everyone else in this draft class would follow. If we hit on Smith, great. If we don't, no big deal.

The Panthers took Jimmy Clauson in the second round the year before they took Cam Newton.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Good lord, this is insane. He's the 39th pick in the draft.

You know the last 5 QBs drafted around here:

Andy Dalton - Started 1st season - Put up above average numbers in first 2 seasons)
    Colin Kapernick - Started 7 games in 2nd season - Put up great numbers
    Pat White - Never started a game, threw 5 passes
    Kevin Kolb - Started 2 games in his 3rd season, 6 years in NFL, started 21 total games
    John Beck - Started 4 games in rookie season, started 3 more games in NFL career

Only Andy Dalton started in his first season, no writers based an entire draft on a 2nd round, Only the the Jets writers say, "if this draft pick fails, the Jets draft is a total bust". No 2nd round pick gets compared to Ryan Leaf.

Seriously, Of course Geno Smith has major flaws, QBs w/o flaws are top 5 picks, QBs with minimal flaws are first round picks (Or major reaches). The idea that he's the "Black Ryan Leaf" is a ridiculous statement about the 39th pick in the NFL draft. The last 39th pick to make a pro bowl was 2003.

Even looking at picks 37-41, only Zack Miller and Michael Roos are the only offensive players of 18 to make a pro bowl in the last decade.

I'm hoping Geno Smith becomes a start, but based on history, there's only about a 50/50 shot he is even decent. The expectations and failings for a guy drafted in the 2nd round are bizarrely disproportionate to the actual spot he was drafted.
    Ummm this is why UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should the Jets let Geno see the field his first year.

It is without question that the same folks who are calling from him to start now will be the same folks who will be booing him and cursing his name when he inevitably plays like a rookie....

Indeed there are posts in this thread which say this is good for Smith this insane bashing because it will toughin him up!! So folks who are now willing to call a rookie Jet (Smith), a 'punk", "dishonest" etc. all because during one interview he said "yes sir" to an interviewer and he fired his agent...... INSANITY!!! ...... and

Good Grief!!
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 05-03-2013 at 08:32 AM.