Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Robert Kraft says hed welcome openly gay players to Patriots

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Robert Kraft says hed welcome openly gay players to Patriots

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...s-to-patriots/

AP
    As the debate and discussion continue regarding whether the NFL is ready for an openly gay player, Patriots owner Robert Kraft say hes been ready to employ one.

Were about winning, and [if] someone can come in here and help us win, Kraft said this week, via NESN.com. I dont care what ethnic background, what racial background, what gender preference they have, if they can help us win and theyre about team then Ill be happy to have them here.
    Kraft, who also congratulated NBA center Jason Collins for choosing to disclose his orientation, becomes one of the few owners to send a clear, unequivocal message of acceptance from the top of an NFL organization. If more persons in positions of power do the same, a gay player inevitably will feel comfortable with disclosing that fact.
    That said, we dont believe that a gay player should come out just because it appears that plenty of people in the media and a select group of straight players seem to be almost rooting for it. We believe people should just be who they are, being who you are possibly includes being gay but choosing not to share that characteristic publicly.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He should poll the players before making that statement... I personally am all for it. But I still think this should be left to the teams...... (I'm a tenth amendment sorta guy)

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Obviously taking input from Brady

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Kraft, who also congratulated NBA center Jason Collins for choosing to disclose his orientation, becomes one of the few owners to send a clear, unequivocal message of acceptance from the top of an NFL organization. "

Why is the media gushing over this. What makes being honest about yourself so couragous? This is 2013, not 1965. It's not that big of a deal. Besides, who care what you do in your bedroom. This is getting annoying.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did Kerry Rhodes visit the Pat's ?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can hate on Kraft all you like but he is a conduit for the truth here ...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    *snicker*

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Im surprised it took POST 3 for a Brady is gay comment.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hurray for the gay agenda in America. Love all these stories about "transgender people" and gay people everywhere. I feel so open minded and progressive.

Hopefully we get a gay quarterback soon so we can show the only people who give a **** (rich people and journalists) how trendy we are.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post

Hopefully we get a gay quarterback soon so we can show the only people who give a **** (rich people and journalists) how trendy we are.
    A gay safety wasn't enough? The Jets are ahead of the curve on this non-issue.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    He should poll the players before making that statement... I personally am all for it. But I still think this should be left to the teams...... (I'm a tenth amendment sorta guy)
    Would you feel the same way if this was about race as opposed to sexual orientation? Say, if the Pats' players decided they didn't want any black players, you think Kraft should go along with that?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn't seem like that big of a deal, just a random quote from Kraft that got some publicity. What owner would come out saying he wouldn't allow gay players on his team? Well, maybe Jerry Richardson...

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    Would you feel the same way if this was about race as opposed to sexual orientation? Say, if the Pats' players decided they didn't want any black players, you think Kraft should go along with that?
    One can choose to conceal their sexual orientation, where as, for the most part, its impossible to conceal one's race, especially if they are a racial minority.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    Umm, it is left to the teams? There's no affirmative action in the NFL other than the "Rooney Rule," which most people consider BS. I wonder which GM would have passed up on Andrew Luck if he said he was gay?

The NFL is so tightly wound and competitive and the margins of success are so incredibly slim that I can't imagine homosexuality being a dealbreaker if the kid can play.

The NFL has already shown that you can electrocute dogs and come back to be a star in this league. In terms of the locker room, there's too much money to be made for these guys to cause a problem.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by teddyld View Post
    One can choose to conceal their sexual orientation, where as, for the most part, its impossible to conceal one's race, especially if they are a racial minority.
    Concealing,as in not parading around announcing to the world your gay.

Or concealing as in perpetrating a fraud by dating/marrying women. and lying to the world and yourself.

I see a problem with the latter.

From experience with the issue in the military. If the person can perform their duties at a high level no one will care.

Similar to breaking the color barrier.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    So the truth comes out

Robert Kraft packs fudge

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    So the truth comes out

Robert Kraft packs fudge
    All politics aside... you kill some large animals this weekend? BAD ASS

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    He did make sure to let him know it was okay to stay in the closet.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    You can hate on Kraft all you like but he is a conduit for the truth here ...
    A cheating coach is good enough for him.