Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL insider calls Geno Smith the black Ryan Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    There's no way Geno isn't pissed about all of this. He's coming in with a fire lit under his ass. That can only help us,
    They are making the chip on his shoulder very very big.

Quote Originally Posted by NowLet'sGoEatAF'NSnack View Post
    This is beyond pathetic. The kid hasn't even put on his cleats yet. That why I don't listen to these dumb shows on espn. Nothing but horse****.
    Never seen a second rounder get this much attention.

Good lord, this is insane. He's the 39th pick in the draft.

You know the last 5 QBs drafted around here:

Andy Dalton - Started 1st season - Put up above average numbers in first 2 seasons)
    Colin Kapernick - Started 7 games in 2nd season - Put up great numbers
    Pat White - Never started a game, threw 5 passes
    Kevin Kolb - Started 2 games in his 3rd season, 6 years in NFL, started 21 total games
    John Beck - Started 4 games in rookie season, started 3 more games in NFL career

Only Andy Dalton started in his first season, no writers based an entire draft on a 2nd round, Only the the Jets writers say, "if this draft pick fails, the Jets draft is a total bust". No 2nd round pick gets compared to Ryan Leaf.

Seriously, Of course Geno Smith has major flaws, QBs w/o flaws are top 5 picks, QBs with minimal flaws are first round picks (Or major reaches). The idea that he's the "Black Ryan Leaf" is a ridiculous statement about the 39th pick in the NFL draft. The last 39th pick to make a pro bowl was 2003.

Even looking at picks 37-41, only Zack Miller and Michael Roos are the only offensive players of 18 to make a pro bowl in the last decade.

I'm hoping Geno Smith becomes a start, but based on history, there's only about a 50/50 shot he is even decent. The expectations and failings for a guy drafted in the 2nd round are bizarrely disproportionate to the actual spot he was drafted.

Hall Of Fame
    head case with all the ability in the world - Gholston is back

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Never seen a second rounder get this much attention.
    You're right but Smith hasn't helped himself either with some of his comments, tweets and by firing his agents.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    I want those Boobs on every page.

This is a totally fair comparison to make.

To put it in more perspective, there has been more written about Geno Smith and the expectations then Andrew Luck or RGIII after the draft last year.

It makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    You're right but Smith hasn't helped himself either with some of his comments, tweets and by firing his agents.
    Another thing I don't get. If he doesn't feel his agents did a good job representing him for what is essentially his first paycheck, how long should he keep employing them because he doesn't want to stir up the media?

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Good lord, this is insane. He's the 39th pick in the draft.

You know the last 5 QBs drafted around here:

Andy Dalton - Started 1st season - Put up above average numbers in first 2 seasons)
    Colin Kapernick - Started 7 games in 2nd season - Put up great numbers
    Pat White - Never started a game, threw 5 passes
    Kevin Kolb - Started 2 games in his 3rd season, 6 years in NFL, started 21 total games
    John Beck - Started 4 games in rookie season, started 3 more games in NFL career

Only Andy Dalton started in his first season, no writers based an entire draft on a 2nd round, Only the the Jets writers say, "if this draft pick fails, the Jets draft is a total bust". No 2nd round pick gets compared to Ryan Leaf.

Seriously, Of course Geno Smith has major flaws, QBs w/o flaws are top 5 picks, QBs with minimal flaws are first round picks (Or major reaches). The idea that he's the "Black Ryan Leaf" is a ridiculous statement about the 39th pick in the NFL draft. The last 39th pick to make a pro bowl was 2003.

Even looking at picks 37-41, only Zack Miller and Michael Roos are the only offensive players of 18 to make a pro bowl in the last decade.

I'm hoping Geno Smith becomes a start, but based on history, there's only about a 50/50 shot he is even decent. The expectations and failings for a guy drafted in the 2nd round are bizarrely disproportionate to the actual spot he was drafted.

None of those guys were ever projected as top 10 picks prior to the draft. Smith had a surprising slide. He's being piled on as a very high pick would and also as the most recognizable/famous player in the draft (other than te'o).

Either way, the Ryan Leaf comment is absurd. Let the kid play first!!!

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    To put it in more perspective, there has been more written about Geno Smith and the expectations then Andrew Luck or RGIII after the draft last year.

It makes no sense.
    Neither Luck nor RGIII were drafted to New York, the biggest market for media in the world.

Welcome to NY, Geno. I hope you enjoy your stay.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--ge...183846651.html

"His biggest problem is that he doesn't know what he doesn't know," said a league executive, who spent extensive time assessing Smith before the draft. "I'm not sure he knows how to take instruction because he pretty much wouldn't listen or talk to our coaches … he's talented. He can sling it, he can fit it into tight spots, he can do a lot of things and I think he wants to be good. But you can't tell him anything right now. He's tuned out because he thinks he's got it all down."
    -------
    ""He doesn't have much presence, not much of a leader," said another league executive, who spent a great deal of time studying Smith before the draft. "I don't think he's a bad person, but that's not enough to be a quarterback in this league."

Two sources indicated that when Smith went on some visits to teams, rather than interact with coaches and front-office people, he would spend much of his time on his cell phone. Instead of being engaged with team officials, he would be texting friends or reading Twitter or a number of other distracting activities."
    ---------
    "Both sources indicated that Florida State's E.J. Manuel, who was selected ahead of Smith at No. 16 overall by Buffalo, was far more impressive in terms of his personality and maturity. "Manuel gets it, he gets the whole big picture of what it takes to lead a team," one of the league executives said"

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Goobertron View Post
    Stephen A. Smith on ESPN First Take today:

"I have somebody incredibly connected to the NFL, works in the NFL, works with numerous players. You know what he texted me with this morning, and called Geno Smith? He called him the black Ryan Leaf. He says if he doesn’t get his act together, that’s what he’s going to end up being, because his mouth is going to get him in trouble because he doesn’t have the game to match it….I think Geno Smith needs to hear that so he can guard against it and get his mind right so he can perform. So that’s what people in the NFL are saying about you, Geno. Take notice and make sure you don’t give them ammunition to think like that."

At the 32:00 mark in this podcast: http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=9235272
    Posting this article serves what purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy2020 View Post
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--ge...183846651.html

"His biggest problem is that he doesn't know what he doesn't know," said a league executive, who spent extensive time assessing Smith before the draft. "I'm not sure he knows how to take instruction because he pretty much wouldn't listen or talk to our coaches … he's talented. He can sling it, he can fit it into tight spots, he can do a lot of things and I think he wants to be good. But you can't tell him anything right now. He's tuned out because he thinks he's got it all down."
    -------
    ""He doesn't have much presence, not much of a leader," said another league executive, who spent a great deal of time studying Smith before the draft. "I don't think he's a bad person, but that's not enough to be a quarterback in this league."

Two sources indicated that when Smith went on some visits to teams, rather than interact with coaches and front-office people, he would spend much of his time on his cell phone. Instead of being engaged with team officials, he would be texting friends or reading Twitter or a number of other distracting activities."
    ---------
    "Both sources indicated that Florida State's E.J. Manuel, who was selected ahead of Smith at No. 16 overall by Buffalo, was far more impressive in terms of his personality and maturity. "Manuel gets it, he gets the whole big picture of what it takes to lead a team," one of the league executives said"
    LOL!

This garbage is coming from some doosh in Buffalo! LMAO!!!

CRUSH them, Geno!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    As long as he isn't the black Mark Sanchez.
    I lolled.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    LOL!

This garbage is coming from some doosh in Buffalo! LMAO!!!

CRUSH them, Geno!
    this isn't a personality contest.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    LOL

Where was all of this sh*t before he became a Jet?

Seriously

This is getting beyond ridiculous.
    It's comical now. It's obvious the Jets circus sh-- was selling papers and drawing ratings - they clearly don't want it to stop. These so called journalist don't care who they hurt in their wake.

Stephen A. Smith should be embarrassed of himself (and for Stephen A. that's not easy). He's now using his own color to harm someone he claims he's trying to help...

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Posting this article serves what purpose?
    Where there's smoke there's fire.

This certainly isn't the first instance of hearing Smith has an attitude problem. Is it being blown out of proportion? Probably (hopefully). But fact is there are a TON of "talented" QBs who never made it in this league and this guy needs to know it.

Personally, I'm glad these stories are coming out. They're either going to be a wake-up call to the guy, to make him go out of his way to prove how wrong they are, or a warning to the rest of us to not get our hopes up . . .

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    this isn't a personality contest.
    Do what?!

....Kick their ass on the field. That quote is clearly out of the Buffalo camp.

hey, the jets deserve to be bashed. they've been poorly run for most of their existence and it doesn't help that even the giants were able to pull themselves out of the post allie sherman fall. but it's also important to look at geno and see the body language and the way he dissed his agents. the guy has punk written all over him. not saying that he can't succeed and become a decent qb but it's foolish to think he's going to be the automatic starter from day 1. imo it'll be a toss up between sanchez or garrard.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    it's becoming increasingly clear that some people will bash whoever the jets take. soon milliner and richardson will be bashed as well.