Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: NFL insider calls Geno Smith the black Ryan Leaf

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why do you guys care what the media says. For the most part you guys know more then them and have better contacts.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I'm beginning to smell racism here. Maybe because he's in NY and people see a black man taking the franchise QB spot away from their beloved pretty boy?

I mean there must be a reason for all of this clearly inappropriate nasty name calling?

To me, Stephen Smith is nothing but a hack. This guy wouldn't have the faintest idea what a football team is even if he tripped over one. Good for him that he happens to be black or else the claims of racism would be flying here. Or maybe he's just prejudice against his own people? Or maybe he just hates the Jets?

I don't know and I don't care, but I do think some responsible journalism should be practiced with this. ESPN should give Stephen Smith the gag rule.
    Of course it is racist. The a-hole did not say that Smith was the "next" Ryan Leaf. He said that Geno is a "black" Ryan Leaf. That's not only racism, it's old fashioned bold, arrogant in-your-face racism!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    The guy from profootweekly, Herb Arkush wrote about his attitude and work ethic a month before the draft. Teams are now speaking to the media regarding who they took and who they did not and why. Geno is getting blasted by a few GMs from not being enthused during visits. Talking on the cell phone, texting etc during meetings with personnel people. (the most common sense things that you should not do during an interview)

You don't hear anything from teams regarding players before the draft only later.

Then he goes and fires his agents after he fell in the draft like they had something to do with it.

No one questioned his talent, except for ball security and pocket awareness and the pocket awareness can come with the passage of time.

Texting? In todays day and age, texting is like talking to 22 year olds. I am sure it was not during meetings. He is not that dumb. It was probably during down time, maybe walking halls or something. It was probably some old fart coach shaking his cane because the youngster did not give him his undivided attention during the whole day, every second.

As far as the agent thing, he was right to fire them. They assured him he would be a top 10 pick, and advised him not to attend the Senior Bowl. Bad advise. It cost Geno the first round. If he had shown up and performed well, he would have shot up draft boards. When bad press come out about Geno, they did nothing to counter it. Bad job of image management. They deserved to be fired.

Watch the Gruden tape. Geno is far from a malcontent. He looks like he has his act together.

Time will tell.

Hopefully, that sucks for you. (in a nice Patriots fan kind of way, of course)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm beginning to smell racism here. ...
    No, that's just your stache

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm beginning to smell racism here. Maybe because he's in NY and people see a black man taking the franchise QB spot away from their beloved pretty boy?

I mean there must be a reason for all of this clearly inappropriate nasty name calling?

To me, Stephen Smith is nothing but a hack. This guy wouldn't have the faintest idea what a football team is even if he tripped over one. Good for him that he happens to be black or else the claims of racism would be flying here. Or maybe he's just prejudice against his own people? Or maybe he just hates the Jets?

I don't know and I don't care, but I do think some responsible journalism should be practiced with this. ESPN should give Stephen Smith the gag rule.
    No doubt, Stephen A is definitely a racist for criticizing Geno.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    It wasn't Stephen A Smith who said it. He just reported it. It was someone else. And the remark was incredibly racist.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GandWFan View Post
    Texting? In todays day and age, texting is like talking to 22 year olds. I am sure it was not during meetings. He is not that dumb. It was probably during down time, maybe walking halls or something. It was probably some old fart coach shaking his cane because the youngster did not give him his undivided attention during the whole day, every second.

As far as the agent thing, he was right to fire them. They assured him he would be a top 10 pick, and advised him not to attend the Senior Bowl. Bad advise. It cost Geno the first round. If he had shown up and performed well, he would have shot up draft boards. When bad press come out about Geno, they did nothing to counter it. Bad job of image management. They deserved to be fired.
    So what if it's 'like talking'. Talking, or 'talking' with friends would have been inappropriate in the circumsutances, when he was in interviews and meetings trying to make an impression on people who might be hiring him- what else happened in those meetings? what else did the agents tell him? do tell since you were there. love how people's random thoughts that go through their head become 'facts'
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 05-03-2013 at 10:27 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

finally out of millions of words you've written, three are correct.
    if there's anyone that knows less about NY dynamics than you, i don't know who that would be. yes, people are upset, in NY, that a black man is taking over a franchise from a Hispanic. maybe you should stay in your woods there. how do you even have an internet connection

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    Besides, Ryan Leaf is the legendary Ryan Leaf because he was drafted at the top of the first round right next to Peyton Manning. Smith was a value pick at 39 and even if he is a jerk, it won't set the franchise back five years like Leaf did for the Chargers.

Bingo!

If Geno is a flop but Milliner, Richardson and Winters are all starters by 2014 then this draft was a success. Geno is a part of this draft, he's not the whole draft. We passed on him twice before finally taking him when he dropped in our laps.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why does it always have to be about color?

The "black" this and the "black" that....

Is there a racist undertone in the "report" that Smith made? Hell yes.

That said, however, for him not to CONDEMN the overt racist statement suggests to me that the "NFL INSIDER" could've been him actually stating it. Another example of him just being a dikhead.

He needs to go back to eating his cheese-doodles while whining about the Knicks....

Schluberator & Gadfly ģ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goobertron View Post
    Stephen A. Smith on ESPN First Take today:

"I have somebody incredibly connected to the NFL, works in the NFL, works with numerous players. You know what he texted me with this morning, and called Geno Smith? He called him the black Ryan Leaf. He says if he doesnít get his act together, thatís what heís going to end up being, because his mouth is going to get him in trouble because he doesnít have the game to match itÖ.I think Geno Smith needs to hear that so he can guard against it and get his mind right so he can perform. So thatís what people in the NFL are saying about you, Geno. Take notice and make sure you donít give them ammunition to think like that."

At the 32:00 mark in this podcast: http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=9235272
    Well if anyone knows about a mouth getting someone in trouble, that's Stephen A.

Schluberator & Gadfly ģ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    finally out of millions of words you've written, three are correct.
    if there's anyone that knows less about NY dynamics than you, i don't know who that would be. yes, people are upset, in NY, that a black man is taking over a franchise from a Hispanic. maybe you should stay in your woods there. how do you even have an internet connection
    Ef'em if they can't take a joke. Guess who was the leading Jet signal caller in 1999? Yeah, Ray Lucas. Was there public outcry then?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Geno does end up being the regular-season starter, I pray he doesn't get picked by Mevis in Week 1.

A rookie starting his first game throwing an INT to a HOF corner should not even be news, but with the way the media seems to be out to get this kid, it will be the kickoff to every football-related show for the entire week.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    If Geno does end up being the regular-season starter, I pray he doesn't get picked by Mevis in Week 1.

A rookie starting his first game throwing an INT to a HOF corner should not even be news, but with the way the media seems to be out to get this kid, it will be the kickoff to every football-related show for the entire week.
    Mevi$ won't be starting on Week 1. He'll be busy doing what he does best : HOLDING OUT.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post

He's not expected to be ready to play week 1.
    Knee injury.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    I don't see racism....I just see idiots
    Ha! That's awesome....and accurate!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    He's not expected to be ready to play week 1.

Knee injury.
    He may also be out Week 2. Hurt feelings.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    That's really not what I am saying. Smith could have used any QB that ultimately amounted what we think is a failure and made his point. That would have been OK. Not necessarily right, but at least I could have handled that.

He had to use the biggest, and I'll use DCAT's words, "In your face" failure to describe Geno Smith. That's where I have a problem with it.

Geno Smith has never so much as stepped foot into a pro football game and Stephen A. sums him up as a black Ryan leaf. That's where I have a problem. Ryan leaf was the biggest failure ever. Not just on the football field but also as a person. But he had to use Ryan Leaf as the example?

What I do know is if any white person had that to say? They would be getting called a racist by many people. Stephen A. gets away with because he is black. But it still indicates an ulterior motive like he doesn't like his own people or more than likely because he HATES the Jets.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's really not what I am saying. Smith could have used any QB that ultimately amounted what we think is a failure and made his point. That would have been OK. Not necessarily right, but at least I could have handled that.

He had to use the biggest, and I'll use DCAT's words, "In your face" failure to describe Geno Smith. That's where I have a problem with it.

Geno Smith has never so much as stepped foot into a pro football game and Stephen A. sums him up as a black Ryan leaf. That's where I have a problem. Ryan leaf was the biggest failure ever. Not just on the football field but also as a person. But he had to use Ryan Leaf as the example?

What I do know is if any white person had that to say? They would be getting called a racist by many people. Stephen A. gets away with because he is black. But it still indicates an ulterior motive like he doesn't like his own people or more than likely because he HATES the Jets.
    He hates the Jets. And white people.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    I don't see racism....I just see idiots who enjoy tearing others down....the reality of it all is that with ALL this media nonstop banter....NONE of it has any bearing on the jets who are prepping for the 2013 season.
    Well, maybe it's not. I'm just saying, and I think you would agree, that his words were VERY harsh criticism to a guy has never played an NFL down of football.

It's probably just because he hates the Jets. That much could not possibly be debated. He's run this team into the ground whenever he possibly could.