Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: NFL insider calls Geno Smith the black Ryan Leaf

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stephen A. Smith is friends with Skip Bayless.

/thread.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    If only Geno were 6' 5''.
    Because to the brain dead this is important

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Because to the brain dead this is important
    He'd be even better at 6'6".

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    If Geno does end up being the regular-season starter, I pray he doesn't get picked by Mevis in Week 1.

A rookie starting his first game throwing an INT to a HOF corner should not even be news, but with the way the media seems to be out to get this kid, it will be the kickoff to every football-related show for the entire week.
    Getting picked by Revis would be awful, but we can also be positive and wonder what the reaction would be if Geno starts and picks apart the TB secondary for 400 yards and Hill burns Revis on a long TD pass.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    No doubt, Stephen A is definitely a racist for criticizing Geno.
    Actually if a white journalist said these things about Geno Stephen A would be the first one screaming racism.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    He'd be even better at 6'6".
    Can't miss, guarantee at 6' 7".

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Getting picked by Revis would be awful, but we can also be positive and wonder what the reaction would be if Geno starts and picks apart the TB secondary for 400 yards and Hill burns Revis on a long TD pass.
    Accident. Just like when the Jets beat New England in the playoffs.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can't miss, guarantee at 6' 7".
    HOF potential at 6'8"

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    Of course it is racist. The a-hole did not say that Smith was the "next" Ryan Leaf. He said that Geno is a "black" Ryan Leaf. That's not only racism, it's old fashioned bold, arrogant in-your-face racism!
    I'm not sure how it's racism, other then he's black? I mean... they could have just easily said the next JaMarcus Russell. There's a difference between talking about race and being racist.

However, it does need to be said, that RGIII faced some of the same criticism last year. Rumors of "Selfishness". It does seem that black QBs that are near the top have the draft often have "character issues"

On RG III
    "He's got a little bit of a selfish streak," said one scout. "Everybody was laying on Cam, but for some reason this guy has become gloves-off. He doesn't treat anybody good." Another scout "questioned the way Griffin deals with people," perhaps referencing RG3's refusal to conduct pre-draft private workouts. We wouldn't read into these opinions. We just found them interesting."
    It does seem like almost every black QB expected to go in the top 10 (at some point in the draft process) has "character issues". Cam Newton did, RGIII did (Though, I'm not totally sure why), Vick and Vince Young did.

It simply might be a case of that's just random, since you are only talking about a few guys, but it's noticable that white QBs expected to go in top 10 (Not necessarily drafted in top 10, do not have this issue, for example, Jake Locker wasn't expected to be a top 10 pick) don't have this issue as much the last top 10 value QB with 'character issues' was Matt Leinart, as far as I can remember.

Again, this isn't an exact science, and it is quite based on memory and perception.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Get a feeling some are hedging their bets, making excuses for not taking Geno? Never seen so many talk about a player they didn't draft before.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goobertron View Post
    Stephen A. Smith on ESPN First Take today:

"I have somebody incredibly connected to the NFL, works in the NFL, works with numerous players. You know what he texted me with this morning, and called Geno Smith? He called him the black Ryan Leaf. He says if he doesnít get his act together, thatís what heís going to end up being, because his mouth is going to get him in trouble because he doesnít have the game to match itÖ.I think Geno Smith needs to hear that so he can guard against it and get his mind right so he can perform. So thatís what people in the NFL are saying about you, Geno. Take notice and make sure you donít give them ammunition to think like that."

At the 32:00 mark in this podcast: http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=9235272
    I like this stuff. Bash the crap out of him now so he knows where he stands in the minds of others.

It beats having a statistically cellar dwelling guy like Mark Sanchez feeling like he's beyond reproach for about 3.5 years.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, are these the same well connected, high ranking people who said Coples had the same issues after last years draft?

Those kinds of know it all experts.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The bottom line is Geno Smith isn't costing the Jets a lot in terms of money. He will get his chance and will either win the competition or lose it on the field. He hasn't had any off the field issues in the past and I doubt he bites the hand which feeds him going foward. I expect to see him do well but if he doesn't there is always next years draft.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Get a feeling some are hedging their bets, making excuses for not taking Geno? Never seen so many talk about a player they didn't draft before.
    Well, if that's the case they'll look like even bigger fools if Geno Smith turns out to be the real deal.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Well, if that's the case they'll look like even bigger fools if Geno Smith turns out to be the real deal.
    Ugh no, they would still have a defense for not having drafted him. Not an issue of talent, maturity.

The Marino defense, it's been used before.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ugh no, they would still have a defense for not having drafted him. Not an issue of talent, maturity.

The Marino defense, it's been used before.
    Oh yeah. I didn't think of that. I guess the press always has an out because they are never wrong.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GandWFan View Post
    Texting? In todays day and age, texting is like talking to 22 year olds. I am sure it was not during meetings. He is not that dumb. It was probably during down time, maybe walking halls or something. It was probably some old fart coach shaking his cane because the youngster did not give him his undivided attention during the whole day, every second.

As far as the agent thing, he was right to fire them. They assured him he would be a top 10 pick, and advised him not to attend the Senior Bowl. Bad advise. It cost Geno the first round. If he had shown up and performed well, he would have shot up draft boards. When bad press come out about Geno, they did nothing to counter it. Bad job of image management. They deserved to be fired.

Watch the Gruden tape. Geno is far from a malcontent. He looks like he has his act together.

Time will tell.

Hopefully, that sucks for you. (in a nice Patriots fan kind of way, of course)
    I have said that Geno is a very good pickup for a guy taken 39th overall.

What does being a patriot fan have to do with it? Geno interviewed with about 10 teams, so far they have been reports from three teams regarding his behavior during visits.These are reports from other cities not NYC media.

What do you mean "old fart" , the guy is his coach, the guy that will teach him what he needs to get better and improve as a qb in the next few years.
    you think it is appropriate?

How can an agent assure a player is going top ten? Do they have crystal ball?
    How do you think he would have done in the senior bowl? Throwing to guys he never threw to before, playing behind an oline that has been together for 4 days. If you think your a first rd pick as a qb you don't go, it is the same reason the 1st rd pick qbs don't throw at the combine. How do you counter bad press? It is not the public, but teams, the teams sit with him, talk with him for a whole day, and watched 100 hours of film, you think them responding to a media report makes sense, it would just show him as thin skinned which is one thing a NFL qb can not be. Media reports can influence fans, they don't influence GMs

Who said he is a malcontent, I never heard anything saying of the like.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goobertron View Post
    Stephen A. Smith on ESPN First Take today:

"I have somebody incredibly connected to the NFL, works in the NFL, works with numerous players. You know what he texted me with this morning, and called Geno Smith? He called him the black Ryan Leaf. He says if he doesnít get his act together, thatís what heís going to end up being, because his mouth is going to get him in trouble because he doesnít have the game to match itÖ.I think Geno Smith needs to hear that so he can guard against it and get his mind right so he can perform. So thatís what people in the NFL are saying about you, Geno. Take notice and make sure you donít give them ammunition to think like that."

At the 32:00 mark in this podcast: http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=9235272
    Really? I didn't know Geno was the #2 pick in the draft that the Jets traded the farm to move up for and annointed the opening day starter from day 1.

Coulda had me fooled I thought Geno was a 2nd rd pick. I must be retarded or something.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The media hates the Jets and wants to blow anything and everything outta proportion b/c they think bashing Rex Ryan = ratings and they're probably right since losers in the boring square shaped states who think Tim Tebow is a great qb and Joe Paterno is innocent probably hate Rex's guts.

One guy probably commented on Geno having a bad attitude and now all of a sudden he's Ryan Leaf on crystal meth with a dash of Lawrence Phillips and a splash of Jamarcus Russell.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Stephen A. Smith is friends with Skip Bayless.

/thread.
    Is skip on suicide watch now that his boyfriend Tebow no longer has a job?