Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Sanchez vows to be starter

Jets Insider VIP

Mark Sanchez vows to be starter

Take if for what it's worth. Definitely seems to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder, especially where Tebow's concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by ESPN
    FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Claiming he's more motivated than ever, New York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez said he welcomes the competition from Geno Smith & Co., vowing to be the opening-day starter for the fifth straight year.

"No doubt. Sure. Of course," Sanchez said Thursday.

Sanchez, challenged for the first time in his career, was upbeat and confident as he faced reporters for the first time since the Jets selected Smith in the second round -- a bold move that fueled immediate speculation about Sanchez's future.

"There's a little fire going, and that's good," said Sanchez, sporting slicked-back hair and a thin headband. "I'm cool with that. I think it's good for everybody."

The Jets are calling it a five-way competition among Sanchez, Smith, David Garrard, Greg McElroy and Matt Simms, although they're unlikely to take all five to training camp.

Gone is Tim Tebow, who was released Monday. Sanchez, shedding light on his relationship with Tebow, described it as an intense competition that prevented them from becoming good friends. He predicted it'll be the same with Smith.

"Tim wanted to play and I wanted to play, but only one guy plays at that position," said Sanchez, adding: "Honestly, under different circumstances, we'd be pretty good friends. It's just hard when you're competing like that. There's just professionalism about it. You don't get too close to guys like that.

"If the guy has a flat tire on the side of the road, I'm going to stop. I'm not going to drive by him. But at the same time, I'm not sending him gifts on his birthday. I don't see why it would be different with [Smith]. I'll help him as much as I can, but when we have to compete, that's the way it goes."

He said he hasn't reached out to Smith.

Sanchez was driving in New Jersey on Friday when he received a call from offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg, who informed him the team had selected Smith in the second round.

"We're heating up the competition," Mornhinweg told him.

If Sanchez was irked by the move, he did a good job of disguising his emotions. He said it will be "a fierce competition" but vowed to turn it into a positive.

"I'm thrilled to compete," Sanchez said. "It's going to bring out the very best in me. ... There's a challenge for something I hold very dear to my heart. When somebody challenges you that way, it really brings out your best."

Sanchez is coming off his second straight 26-turnover season, prompting new general manager John Idzik to sign Garrard and draft Smith. Sanchez's roster spot isn't guaranteed, although his contract will make it difficult for the Jets to cut or trade him. He is due an $8.25 million base salary, fully guaranteed, plus a $500,000 workout bonus.

Idzik's plan, according to sources, is to bring Sanchez into training camp. Sanchez said he hasn't heard that directly from Idzik, but he doesn't think it's even a question. Sanchez said he's more focused than ever. At least one teammate agreed.

"I can't put my finger on it, but there's something different about him," center Nick Mangold said. "It's a maturity-level difference. There's something different about the way he's going about his work and his attitude."

Sanchez was once regarded as the face of the franchise, but the fans turned on him last season. He's still trying to live down the infamous Butt Fumble. Despite the hits to his reputation, he still believes it's his team and his starting job.

"Every quarterback should feel that way. I know I do," he said. "I'm not shy about voicing that opinion. You have to own it and compete your butt off to keep it."

Sanchez said he wasn't blindsided by the drafting of Smith because Idzik's mantra from day one has been to increase the competition at every position. Asked if he's being treated fairly, Sanchez dodged the question.

"Who's the say what's fair or not?" he said.

It's difficult to predict how it will shake out in training camp. The Jets could be hoping that a trade market develops for Sanchez, which could happen if another team loses a quarterback to injury.

Conversely, Sanchez is the only experienced and durable quarterback on the roster. Garrard, the former longtime Jacksonville Jaguars starter, missed the last two seasons with back and knee injuries.

"I've been a No. 1 quarterback before," Garrard said. "As long as I'm healthy, as long as I'm able to continue to work with the team and don't have setbacks with my knee or my back or anything like that, I know I have the ability to [start]."
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...rk-jets-qb-job

All Pro
    What's he supposed to say?

Of course he thinks it's his job.

I personally think he will win it in camp.

Its Sanchez Time... Whats up tbow?

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAAHA

Dont get swayed by anything that douche says. All you have to do is look at the Tittans and Bills game. That will tell you all you need to know how Sanchez reacts with a chip on his shoulder. If it's fair Sanchez is the fourth stringer behind Mcelroy.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Mark Sanchez vows to be starter
    Did he say for which team?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    What's he supposed to say?

Of course he thinks it's his job.

I personally think he will win it in camp.
    Why??? Because he is Rex's guy or because of his ludicrous salary cause he won't win it on skill. Even McElroy is better if he can get a lineman to block a rusher.

All League
    Obviously may the best man win....but....I want to know if either of these guys is our franchise QB...'cause if not then we draft another qb next year and try again for the home run.

Sanchez would have to light it up this year, not just to remain with the Jets but to have any future in the NFL at all.

Still, he has a chance to do that. Could he do it? Doesn't seem likely, but he could. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be known as "The Buttfumbler" the rest of my life, and the only way to make that go away is to play lights out this year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JetBidi View Post
    Did he say for which team?
    Orlando Predators

Ah, Mark Sanchez, king of "practicing and studying harder than anyone" and "saying all the right things".

Doesn't change the fact that he's a deer in headlights, and the return on all that studying is him being in the bottom 3 of all starting QBs last year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Orlando Predators
    Step up from the Omaha Beef, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by tedtedthefootballhead View Post
    Obviously may the best man win....but....I want to know if either of these guys is our franchise QB...'cause if not then we draft another qb next year and try again for the home run.
    Indeed, and you know what - there's nothing wrong with that.

We should draft a QB every single season until we find our guy, and then we should keep drafting them because every time we find a good one, we extend the time we could potentially spend at the top of the league.

QBs are the only currency in the NFL that matters.

Let it all play out. We will start to see who is emerging as the winner as time goes on.

Bottom line is, this will probably play all the way into preseason games and the top 2 QBs at that time will get their chance.

Personally, I think Sanchez will win the starting job this year. I hope he plays well and becomes trade bait at the end of the year. That would be best case scenario IMO.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    Ah, Mark Sanchez, king of "practicing and studying harder than anyone" and "saying all the right things".

Doesn't change the fact that he's a deer in headlights, and the return on all that studying is him being in the bottom 3 of all starting QBs last year.
    Can he bounce back? I doubt he can get all the way back. Any mistakes and all faith will be lost. Idzy MUST be thinking about this.

Right?

Either they're really looking for the answer with this pick or thier really looking to shake Sanchez up for once in his Jets life and force him to perform. Either Sanchez becomes a man now or he goes out as the buttfumbler.

Now we'll see what the kid is made of, good or bad.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Can he bounce back? I doubt he can get all the way back. Any mistakes and all faith will be lost. Idzy MUST be thinking about this.

Right?
    Idzik has constantly said he will make the best decision for the Jets. If he feels Mark is the best starter at QB to win us games, then he will put him out there. If Mark is struggling, he will take him out. I don't think he cares all that much about faith at this point as he is just trying to put a good team on the field.

It's been said of Idzik that he would get fired making a decision for the Jets as long as he felt it was the best decision for the organization. Gotta admire a guy that just wants his team to improve and doesn't worry about how he's being viewed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Take if for what it's worth. Definitely seems to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder, especially where Tebow's concerned.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...rk-jets-qb-job
    He's is the biggest chump ever. Blamed tebow for putting unwanted pressure on him he's so weak. He's basically saying," for the first time in my jet career there may be a actual backup who is nfl capable of starting over me" that is only reason why he is " more motivated than ever. " obviously he wasn't worried about Brunell taking his job for 2 years, and had to know jets would never switch entire offense and go with tebow. Sanchez is as bad and lazy as qb as MT was at gm.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Why??? Because he is Rex's guy or because of his ludicrous salary cause he won't win it on skill. Even McElroy is better if he can get a lineman to block a rusher.
    No.

McElroy is not better. Just stop.

Hall Of Fame
    About 3 years too late. Shame that it took having to play for his job to get this out of him.