Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Media: Jets drafting a QB is "confusing"

Media: Jets drafting a QB is "confusing"

I am so so tired of all the Geno bashing going on, but more than that I am hearing a consistent criticism of the Jets being bandied about incessantly that the Jets drafting a QB is "confusing"

What ???!??

When did it become inappropriate or confusing for a team with an obvious need at the QB spot to draft a QB? It seems to be a completely foreign idea to the media. They seem to have no idea what the Jets are doing drafting a QB.

It's mind boggling. All I hear is things like "I just don't know what the Jets are doing. Bringing a QB in just makes the Jets QB situation more complicated. They are going to have 5 guys compete for the QB spot. The circus continues, this move is very confusing"

Only the Jets would be criticized in general for drafting a QB. And they are even making fun of the move if they think Geno is the #1 QB in the draft, which is more bewildering.

I mean, I can understand if you think Geno has a high bust potential, and maybe think it is a risky pick.

But to fault and ridicule a team that desperately needs change at QB for drafting one, especially the best consensus QB prospect is one of the more exasperating things I have ever heard as a Jets fan. It is a completely ludicrous and unbelievable double standard.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    I am so so tired of all the Geno bashing going on, but more than that I am hearing a consistent criticism of the Jets being bandied about incessantly that the Jets drafting a QB is "confusing"

What ???!??

When did it become inappropriate or confusing for a team with an obvious need at the QB spot to draft a QB? It seems to be a completely foreign idea to the media. They seem to have no idea what the Jets are doing drafting a QB.

It's mind boggling. All I hear is things like "I just don't know what the Jets are doing. Bringing a QB in just makes the Jets QB situation more complicated. They are going to have 5 guys compete for the QB spot. The circus continues, this move is very confusing"

Only the Jets would be criticized in general for drafting a QB. And they are even making fun of the move if they think Geno is the #1 QB in the draft, which is more bewildering.

I mean, I can understand if you think Geno has a high bust potential, and maybe think it is a risky pick.

But to fault and ridicule a team that desperately needs change at QB for drafting one, especially the best consensus QB prospect is one of the more exasperating things I have ever heard as a Jets fan. It is a completely ludicrous and unbelievable double standard.
    I must admit I wasn't one for the media hate Jets conspiracy, but the way they're portraying this draft/QB is unbelievable.

Before the Draft there was one guy that didn't like Geno and the entire media world came down on him. He was the without question - number one quarterback on the board - and it wasn't even close.

Now that the Jet got him at 39 - he somehow is a horrible draft pick and because the Jets have Simms and McElroy on the roster it's somehow a QB mess. Having a legit 3 man QB competition for any other team would be considered a great position to be in....This is absurd.

Media before the draft: Jets MUST find a QB to replace Sanchez and Tebow.

*Jets somehow luck out and get best QB in the draft in R2*
    *Jets cut Tebow*

Media now: Jets added another QB, it's a circus!!!!

Let me tell you guys something. This time of year is awful for sporting news. The New York Jets are a web traffic magnet, to the point where they are almost unrivaled. Trolling Jets fans is good for business if you are the media.

That is why, drafting a QB is a confusing, circus of circus-ness, despite it being exactly what everyone in the media said they needed to do.

Francessa does it.

PFT / Florio does it.

Rotoworld does it.

CBS Sportsline does it.

The Daily News does it.

Now the rest of the sports media world has finally figured out that merely mentioning the Jets garners a spike in ratings, clicks, views, etc.

imo, geno is a punk. as for the jets drafting a qb, it's plenty obvious that they are thin at htis position. they have a ton of very doubtful players and unless sanchez has a real epiphany, they won't have a qb. geno is a punk but he also has some talent as a player and if the jets can knock the punk out of him, they may have something. and if things go totally south they'll be in the running for johnny football.. and just about every team drafts a qb every draft if only to catch lightning in the bottle ala brady or have a low priced player to carry a clipboard.

Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    imo, geno is a punk. geno is a punk, knock the punk out of him.
    I don't get it. You called hm a punk twice in one sentance and referenced to knock the punk out of him, WHY? I don't know college football for the life of me but what I saw on draft day was a kid who held himself in check when a lot of sportswriters and broadcasters said he would be the picked #1 or the first QB picked first. He was told he would be #1 by his agent I assume, and his stock fell for whatever reason. He was a bit pissed as he should have been, it's all about money. I think he now has to prove to everyone that he should have been drafted higher and I hope he beats MR. Turnover machine and does start. Will it be a fair competition? HELL NO! Rex no matter what will start the INT king. Please explain why this kid is such a punk.

As soon as the geno fell to the jets in round 2 the "reporters" were salivating. If we draft him then its what it is now "ZOMG jets are a circus, LOLZ this guys sucks!" Etc etc. If we don't draft him its "WOW how can the jets pass up a franchise qb!?!? Viva LA butt fumble". Bunch of 12 year olds hopping on a the jets hate bandwagon even when there were much worse teams than the jets the last four years. We were becoming a joke but made the changes necessary to veer from that path. Let the talking heads talk and when we finish 7-9 or better let them all say they knew the jets were heading in the right direction.

Jets Insider VIP
    Mel Kiper who is supposedly the Draft guru said the Jets got the best QB in the draft and stole him at #39. I guess not everyone in the media isn't anti Jets.

Geno or no Geno I fully believe that the Jets will pick a QB as their #1 pick next draft if a top one is still available. Then Geno is a back-up or trade bait!

All Pro
    imo, geno is a punk. as for the jets drafting a qb, it's plenty obvious that they are thin at htis position. they have a ton of very doubtful players and unless sanchez has a real epiphany, they won't have a qb. geno is a punk but he also has some talent as a player and if the jets can knock the punk out of him, they may have something. and if things go totally south they'll be in the running for johnny football.. and just about every team drafts a qb every draft if only to catch lightning in the bottle ala brady or have a low priced player to carry a clipboard.
    You keep repeating the same BS about Geno being a punk. I'm not sure what that word means to you, but it sounds kind of like something a punk would say. Nothing personal. It just sounds that way. How about using a synonym, or something more descriptive so we understand what is is you're talking about?

Jets Insider VIP
    Geno is a young Christian guy who has excelled at football from and early age.
    Football has all kinds of personalities and Geno brings a little attitude with his game. Is that a negative?

What ???!??

I agree... ANY other team would be considered "Genius" and the "Class of the Draft"

I just hope Geno can handle the Media Storm that's headed his way... IMO, I think he can.
    I base that on how I have seen him speak, his overall knowledge of the game (something Sanchez is missing badly) and the fact that he has MAJOR potential, that ALL the Vets see, and will give him a BIG wake up call- if he needs it.

I think we may ACTUALLY have a GOOD QB situation!

The Giants drafted a QB...I'm CONFUSED.

Why did they take Ryan Nassib? They have Eli Manning. Won't he only sit on the bench?

Why is there never any "confusion" about a pick made by the Giants?

If GS was drafted by Philly or Jacksonville, no one would care.

You're dead right about the QB "confusion". I don't think there's ever been a team so ambushed by the media on all fronts as the Jets have been the last two years. It's unprofessional and uncalled for, and the part that pisses me off the most is that the mouthbreathing NFL fans of other teams seem to believe every word of it all. I don't know why I care but I do, and that's what pisses me off the most...that I actually care what those low-IQ mouthbreathers think about my team.

Florio actually had the gall to imply that we should have taken a wide receiver at pick #13...that Sheldon Richardson "didn't make much sense". Think about that for a moment. A WR, when none at all was available at that value. De'Andre Hopkins? Cordarrelle Patterson? At #13???? They didn't go until the late 20's.

If that would have happened, the same jackarses would have been all over the Jets for "reaching horribly to fill a need". But picking perhaps the best player at his position "doesn't make much sense". Ok. It's not even worth getting mad about anymore.

Veteran
    Philly has 5 QB's on their roster! So confusing! What a circus!

I like Rex but he created this circus with his BIG MOUTH, as Jackie Gleeson would say.
    If Parcells was coaching the Jets & Took Geno Smith at pick 39, Francessa & everyone else in the media would be giving him knob jobs.
    Knocking the Jets is fun fodder for the media & football fans in general.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    this is exactly why it does NOT bother me....any rational person knows that the jets made a great move...the media is the media....I am selective when I watch tv and ilisten to rational football men like pat kirwin Sirius nfl....the constant jabber is meaningless to me.

What ???!??

Jets Insider VIP
    Why is he a punk? You are no better then the media making allegations uncorraborated!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    You're dead right about the QB "confusion". I don't think there's ever been a team so ambushed by the media on all fronts as the Jets have been the last two years. It's unprofessional and uncalled for, and the part that pisses me off the most is that the mouthbreathing NFL fans of other teams seem to believe every word of it all. I don't know why I care but I do, and that's what pisses me off the most...that I actually care what those low-IQ mouthbreathers think about my team.

Florio actually had the gall to imply that we should have taken a wide receiver at pick #13...that Sheldon Richardson "didn't make much sense". Think about that for a moment. A WR, when none at all was available at that value. De'Andre Hopkins? Cordarrelle Patterson? At #13???? They didn't go until the late 20's.

If that would have happened, the same jackarses would have been all over the Jets for "reaching horribly to fill a need". But picking perhaps the best player at his position "doesn't make much sense". Ok. It's not even worth getting mad about anymore.
    Screw em all! The jets will shut up these bs artists by winning, not whining.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    when other fans try to get in on it with me...I merely bring up wins and losses and that shuts them up...I am talking about bills-dolphins-cowboys fans etc....I bring up the hard facts that their teams have done nothing for more than a decade...they shut up real quick lol

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post