Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Man, Coples is going to be a MONSTER this year.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    and why are you people acting like coples is going to have a position change.....he will go to LB in various packages but still also play DE with his hands in the dirt....rex has only said that about 1,000 times
    "I think it would be more of a permanent job than a back-and-forth thing, but you never know. A package could come up where I play defensive line as well. Either way, I'll be prepared."
    -Coples, via Jets Blog on ESPN

I get that he will be putting his hand in the dirt at times, but it does seem like more of a full time move for Coples. I think the easiest and most appropriate comparison is Suggs for the Ravens.

In that regard, Coples will basically be sticking to his duties of setting the edge and straight up rushing the passer, either standing or with a hand in the ground. On goal line D's maybe he'll be further inside like a DE would but otherwise I see him being a rusher simply positioned outside the tackle.

Any coverage duties will likely be focused on covering the flats for very short periods of time on a fake blitz with Barnes rushing the strong side.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    So what does the front 7 personnel look like in a 4-3 and 3-4 setup?

Are Richardson and K. Ellis inside in the 4-3? Who comes off the field when we go to 3-4? Richardson off, Ellis or Garray stays at NT and Davis comes on as the second ILB?

We've got 7, 8, 9, maybe even 10 front 7 guys that I could see getting playing time.

Rookie
    What make Coples more of a monster this year than last year? I don't think he outplay Chandler Jones from NE last year to be honest.

Veteran
    He's too slow.

Quote Originally Posted by paulyjet View Post
    He's too slow.
    Yeah that 4.6 40 is way too slow

Quote Originally Posted by Vegi5894 View Post
    "I think it would be more of a permanent job than a back-and-forth thing, but you never know. A package could come up where I play defensive line as well. Either way, I'll be prepared."
    -Coples, via Jets Blog on ESPN

I get that he will be putting his hand in the dirt at times, but it does seem like more of a full time move for Coples. I think the easiest and most appropriate comparison is Suggs for the Ravens.

In that regard, Coples will basically be sticking to his duties of setting the edge and straight up rushing the passer, either standing or with a hand in the ground. On goal line D's maybe he'll be further inside like a DE would but otherwise I see him being a rusher simply positioned outside the tackle.

Any coverage duties will likely be focused on covering the flats for very short periods of time on a fake blitz with Barnes rushing the strong side.

One question if Q Coples iSn't going to have much coverage responsibility than what Jet Lb picking up the slack in that area. Harris isn't great and despite his speed Demario Davis isn't either in coverage. ( if he was he would have played more last year) This Jet defense is still going to very vulnerable to Rbs and Te's.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    One question if Q Coples iSn't going to have much coverage responsibility than what Jet Lb picking up the slack in that area. Harris isn't great and despite his speed Demario Davis isn't either in coverage. ( if he was he would have played more last year) This Jet defense is still going to very vulnerable to Rbs and Te's.
    Its comical how little you know about the Jets and football in general.

Do you understand what a pass rusher does?

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Its comical how little you know about the Jets and football in general.
    He sure knows how to wave the black and silver pom poms though

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    So what does the front 7 personnel look like in a 4-3 and 3-4 setup?

Are Richardson and K. Ellis inside in the 4-3? Who comes off the field when we go to 3-4? Richardson off, Ellis or Garray stays at NT and Davis comes on as the second ILB?

We've got 7, 8, 9, maybe even 10 front 7 guys that I could see getting playing time.
    Ellis and Garay will rotate at NT, most likely.

we'll also see a lot of fronts without a true NT, with Wilkerson, Richardson, Coples and Pace or Barnes all at DL.

i expect Davis to play full-time ILB and stay at MLB if we go to a 4-3 look. he's the best (only?) sideline-to-sideline LB we have, Harris would probably be better suited at the SAM spot.

Why do you always try and rain on the parade? Always. Say one positive thing. Please.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Why do you always try and rain on the parade? Always. Say one positive thing. Please.
    After be blows his rocks praising the Raiders he has nothing left..

Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    Do you understand what a pass rusher does?
    Someone has to cover. Your front seven isn't rushing the passer are they. What Lb they have that is going to do the covering. You don't think he playing Lb that an offensive coordinator isn't going to force him to matchup . ( those guys get paid too) IF you still having a problem grasping what I'm saying than I will give you team personnel packages. Will help illustrate my point.

Jets Insider VIP
    Can we at least wait to see if he turns out to be good first?

Coples is 290? His coverage ability is what? Logic tells me eh.
    Before we make this guy the next Clay Matthews, perhaps he can start more than 2 games. Out of UNC he had the LAZY knock.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    What is negative about that as it a legitimate question . I see a lot of Jet fans saying this could be the best defense they have ever had. What upgrades have they made beside addressing already areas that were strengths on defense.

How are they going to matchup with Te's and running backs. What does those players they added do for their run defense.

Geno Smith was a smart signing as you have to take a chance on finding your future Qb. He isn't going to help much in 2013 but could pay dividends down the road.

Someone has to cover. Your front seven isn't rushing the passer are they. What Lb they have that is going to do the covering. You don't think he playing Lb that an offensive coordinator isn't going to force him to matchup . ( those guys get paid too) IF you still having a problem grasping what I'm saying than I will give you team personnel packages. Will help illustrate my point.
    In english please. If you're trying to express your concern about coples and his coverage responsibilities then I'd look to Suggs and Mario Williams (in Houston) as examples of how he fits in the scheme

Loving the ridiculous comments about Coples having to "drop in coverage." LOL.

He'll probably sit in a zone in the flats or over the middle to disrupt the QB's vision mayyybe about three times a game.

Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    In english please. If you're trying to express your concern about coples and his coverage responsibilities then I'd look to Suggs and Mario Williams (in Houston) as examples of how he fits in the scheme
    Forget Coples. If you're going to limit his responsibility in coverage. Whose the LB that going to pickup the slack. Simple question. Demario Davis hasn't proven he very good in that area. Did the jets acquire a lB that I missed.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 05-03-2013 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    Loving the ridiculous comments about Coples having to "drop in coverage." LOL.

He'll probably sit in a zone in the flats or over the middle to disrupt the QB's vision mayyybe about three times a game.
    yeah because Suggs, LT, Derrick Thomas, et al were great LB's because of how they handled their pass coverage responsibilities.