Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Man, Coples is going to be a MONSTER this year.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    Loving the ridiculous comments about Coples having to "drop in coverage." LOL.

He'll probably sit in a zone in the flats or over the middle to disrupt the QB's vision mayyybe about three times a game.
    Exactamente.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    Forget Coples. If you're going to limit his responsibility in coverage. Whose the LB that going to pickup the slack. Simple question. Demario Davis hasn't proven he very good in that area. Did the jets acquire a lB that I missed.
    The jets still are thin at LB. Not any worse off than last year though. Harris had 123 tackles last season so he'll probably be that guy again

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gregg Rosenthal, this guy gets it:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ent-new-trends

Quinton Coples, Dion Jordan represent new trends

Heading into his second season, New York Jets defender Quinton Coples is moving to outside linebacker. The Jets need pass rushers and believe Coples can be more effective standing up. This has attracted a lot of media attention.

In Miami, there's already a question about where No. 3 overall pick Dion Jordan will play. General manager Jeff Ireland admits that Jordan could wind up as a linebacker in the team's base package.

New England's top pick this season, second-rounder Jamie Collins, can play both defensive end and outside linebacker. His arrival has folks in Boston wondering if the Patriots will use more 3-4 looks this season.

All the attention on projected position with these young pass rushers misses the point. All three players aren't going to just play one position or line up in one scheme. Their ability to play a variety of roles is precisely why they were drafted so high in the first place.

The lines between a 4-3 defense and 3-4 defense have eroded for years, and now have been all but erased. The terms are almost meaningless by now because the majority of NFL defenses are wildly multiple, transforming formations from snap-to-snap, week-to-week, season-to-season.

The changing schemes are starting to render our old position labels out of date. Coples isn't an outside linebacker, defensive end or defensive tackle. He's all three depending on the down.

Jordan and Collins aren't just linebackers or defensive linemen. They will be everywhere. They don't fit in a box.

Follow Gregg Rosenthal on Twitter @greggrosenthal.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    The jets still are thin at LB. Not any worse off than last year though. Harris had 123 tackles last season so he'll probably be that guy again
    Whose talking about tackles we're talking coverage. ( Focus ) Out of Barnes, Coples, D Davis and d Harris you can't have one guy that decent in coverage(Barnes) . Someone has to matchup in coverage to Rb's and Te.

Let me give you example You face a Darren McFadden and FB Marcel Reece backfield. Both are capable of moving outside before the snap. They empty the backfield and someone has to pick them up. ( big mismatch) Tell me the Lb or safety that moving outside to pick them up.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whose talking about tackles we're talking coverage. ( Focus ) Out of Barnes, Coples, D Davis and d Harris you can't have one guy that decent in coverage(Barnes) . Someone has to matchup in coverage to Rb's and Te.

Let me give you example You face a Darren McFadden and FB Marcel Reece backfield. Both are capable of moving outside before the snap. They empty the backfield and someone has to pick them up. ( big mismatch) Tell me the Lb or safety that moving outside to pick them up.
    unfair example.

nobody can stop the most EXPLOSIVE offense in the league.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Harris is a good cover LB.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    unfair example.

LOL

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tai Mai Shu View Post
    What make Coples more of a monster this year than last year? I don't think he outplay Chandler Jones from NE last year to be honest.
    His stats turned out to be better with a lot less playing time.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    unfair example.

That was a pretty good response. you got me with that one. touché.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Demario Davis is extremely athletic and will be our best coverage LB. Other than that, Ryan loves to flood the field with defensive backs anyway. With a monstrous DLine like the one the Jets will field next year backs and TEs will have to stay inside or Coples, Wilkerson, Richardson and Barnes will meet at the QB in a nanosecond. That's how much potential they got...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    That was a pretty good response. you got me with that one. touché.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Plus I don't think Coples likes to play inside.
    Letting this guy just go after the QB will allow him to free his mind, not have to think too much.
    He can be a beast, especially if you have Barnes lining up on the other edge in 3rd & longs.
    Breakout year for Coples, these guys like nothing more than to be able to make plays & become a name in the NFL.
    Just imagine if Ellis turns his game up a notch, he was abusing the Panthers center last preseason, ( Kalil?).
    Loving the fact the you have big Mo growing into his 3rd year, (these guys start growing into men), Coples 2nd year, Ellis 3rd year, now you add Richardson, that is a front of big quick powerful young men.
    Ellis was just banged up a bit. When he was healthy he was tough to block. People keep dismissing this guy, but if he's healthy this defense could be very, very scary.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Demario Davis is extremely athletic and will be our best coverage LB. Other than that, Ryan loves to flood the field with defensive backs anyway. With a monstrous DLine like the one the Jets will field next year backs and TEs will have to stay inside or Coples, Wilkerson, Richardson and Barnes will meet at the QB in a nanosecond. That's how much potential they got...
    Just because Demario Davis has straight line speed doesn't mean he can cover. ( has he shown that coverage ability you're talking about).

The Jets Had 30 sacks last year and suddenly with Barnes and Richardson your pass rush is going to be unstoppable. If the Jets had those type of guys than why aren't they playing the 4-3. I will wait till the season plays out and than look at the numbers. Lets see just how far I was off on this one.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 05-03-2013 at 02:03 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just because Demario Davis has straight line speed doesn't mean he can cover. ( has he shown that coverage ability you're talking about).

The Jets Had 30 sacks last year and suddenly with Barnes and Richardson your pass rush is going to be unstoppable. If the Jets had those type of guys than why aren't they playing the 4-3. I will wait till the season plays out and than look at the numbers. Lets see just how far I was off on this one.
    Davis has shown that numerous times last year, he had his best game in his first start against New England and their underneath air attack.

It is all speculation right now but you can't overlook the Talent and youth this defensive line possesses. Wilkerson played like a Pro Bowl Player in his second year and Coples almost showed more pass rush prowess in limited playing time. Barnes is a proven rush backer in this league and Richardson while being a rookie was mainly considered one of the top interior rushers. We'll see what happens but all the three big guys - Coples, Wilk and Richardson - are what you would consider as the prototype DT/DE to defend against the new quick, high powered offenses. They are all big and stout against the run but are highly athletic which makes them extremely dangerous rushing the QB.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Forget Coples. If you're going to limit his responsibility in coverage. Whose the LB that going to pickup the slack. Simple question. Demario Davis hasn't proven he very good in that area. Did the jets acquire a lB that I missed.
    Yes - Calvin Pace. Now, he can't rush the QB all that well, which is why the Jets weren't coming close to paying him under his original contract. But, he is pretty decent in coverage which is one of the reasons the Jets brought him back.

Rex has mentioned Pace's coverage abilities on a number of occasions.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Watching Coples last year getting double-teamed on most every play sets up well for 2013. Opposing teams knew he was the MAN that they feared most. Why he was the OLB last year is an indictment on Rex. He should have a monster year because the interior defensive line will be awesome. That will lead to more sacks and more angles that Jet rushers will be coming from.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Raider doesn't understand that the Jets play 3 Safety's or 3-4 Corners much of the time. In 3-3-5 or 2-5-4 sets.

Antonio Allen will be our Eric Smith, and would be a huge upgrade.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

While Lbs being able to cover is important, there are a couple things that need to be refuted with what you are saying.

1. RB/FB who are receivers catch 90% of their passes in a screen/short yardage type situation and they are never "covered" 1 on 1 - defending the screen is a team effort. Unless you are talking about mcfadden running a wheel route (see bart scott getting smoked on a wheel by New England last year) defending the screen is about team defense.

2. If you split a RB out wide they can easily be picked up by a safety as we have 2 CBs that will play more man coverage then most teams. Rex also plays 5 DBs more then any other coach, so we will drop a DB down in your scenario more then having harris come out on them.

3. Barnes and Richardson give us a lot of options defensively, thats how the rush will improve - and richardson in particular is very quick for an interior lineman and should help us immensely defending screen passes.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coples hype is big now. Why not give the guy another season or two before proclaiming him a "Beast".

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Coples hype is big now. Why not give the guy another season or two before proclaiming him a "Beast".
    Didn't you say that coples was a bust and gholston 2.0? 5.5 sacks for a rookie learning new positions and getting limited snaps is pretty damn good and reason to feel optimistic