Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Geno will be a bust?

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    When did the word "punk" become a racist word? The last time I checked, that was a word that referred to anyone that you didn't like.

This political correctness has gone awry and this is a prime example.

So because someone thinks Smith is a punk, and because he's black that is racist?

Well, I think the president is incompetent and a job killer. Does that make me a racist?

The bottom line these days is that you cannot criticize a person from a minority without being called a racist. So what? All of the sudden, there are no truths to what the criticizer is saying?

No, that's never been the case. So people who do not like what you have to say call you a racist. They call you that because they are trying to punish your thoughts. They are trying to censor you.

So let me ask all those people out there, HOW can you crticize a person that belongs to a minority? Are there some politically correct words in your mind that you can use? Do you understand how stupid that is?

In regards to what is being said about Smith, I cannot personally see how anyone could draw that conclusion. Is this based on one bad interview with the press? because he looked cocky and almost confrontational in some ways? Because he seemed to be intimidated by the media?

Those are thoughts that I share. I do think going forward that Smith will need to work on being a little more "accessible" and friendly.

But to pass judgment and summarily dismiss him as a punk? I really do not understand that. No rational thinking person could ever come away knowing that after only one interview.

IMO, the idea of someone calling Smith a "punk" is as stupid as the people hurling accusations of racism.
    It's totally dependent on context. Not the word "punk" but who says it and why.

Perhaps it was totally unintentional, but every comparison by Shark of Geno Smith was to a black QB. Furthermore, looking through historical evidence almost every black QB who was expected to be a top 5 - top 10 had some sort of "maturity" concerns or "selfish" concerns, whether it was true or not. This is fairly limited in example (RGIII, Newton, Russell, Young, Vick, McNabb, Akili Smith - The only 2 black qbs I couldn't find "negative character concerns" were Steve McNair and Byron Leftwich). In some cases, this was warrented (Young, Russell, Vick to some degree). In other cases it was ridiculous (RGIII).

So when yet another black QB has concerns about being a "punk" or "maturity" it does raise red flags. Again it goes back to context. Two people can call someone a Jew or a Mexican (or 1000s of other racially ambivalent things) and it can either be racially motivated or just a factual statement.

I'm not saying Geno Smith isn't a punk or immature, or whatever... but again, the amount of scrutiny is hysterically disproportionate with where he was drated. It's easy to say it's a product of NYC, but Washington isn't exactly lacking for football coverage, and there was more writter about Geno Smith in the weeks following the draft than either Andrew Luck or RGIII.

As for the Jets drafting busts in the 2nd round... that's wholly irrelevant. San Diego drafted Billy Joe Tolliver before Drew Brees, The Colts drafted Jeff George before Manning, the Redskins drafted Heath Shuler, Patrick Ramsey, and Jason Campbell before RGIII.

2nd/3rd round QBs often fail. But if you get a guy who drops, why not take advantage? Of the 17 QBs drafted in the 2nd/3rd round between 2005 - 2010, not a single one was good (Only Henne, T. Jackson, and T. Edwards even started 30 games).

Of the 6 drafted in 2011-2012, 3 are already unquestioned starters by 2012 who have led their team to the playoffs.

You act like the Jets reached for an UDFA with the 5th pick in the draft. The Jets took a QB who fell to them in a position of desperate need. Because he was taken in the 2nd round, there is no rush to play him. For some reason, Shark has already written him off.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    It's totally dependent on context. Not the word "punk" but who says it and why.

Perhaps it was totally unintentional, but every comparison by Shark of Geno Smith was to a black QB. Furthermore, looking through historical evidence almost every black QB who was expected to be a top 5 - top 10 had some sort of "maturity" concerns or "selfish" concerns, whether it was true or not. This is fairly limited in example (RGIII, Newton, Russell, Young, Vick, McNabb, Akili Smith - The only 2 black qbs I couldn't find "negative character concerns" were Steve McNair and Byron Leftwich). In some cases, this was warrented (Young, Russell, Vick to some degree). In other cases it was ridiculous (RGIII).

So when yet another black QB has concerns about being a "punk" or "maturity" it does raise red flags. Again it goes back to context. Two people can call someone a Jew or a Mexican (or 1000s of other racially ambivalent things) and it can either be racially motivated or just a factual statement.

I'm not saying Geno Smith isn't a punk or immature, or whatever... but again, the amount of scrutiny is hysterically disproportionate with where he was drated. It's easy to say it's a product of NYC, but Washington isn't exactly lacking for football coverage, and there was more writter about Geno Smith in the weeks following the draft than either Andrew Luck or RGIII.

As for the Jets drafting busts in the 2nd round... that's wholly irrelevant. San Diego drafted Billy Joe Tolliver before Drew Brees, The Colts drafted Jeff George before Manning, the Redskins drafted Heath Shuler, Patrick Ramsey, and Jason Campbell before RGIII.

2nd/3rd round QBs often fail. But if you get a guy who drops, why not take advantage? Of the 17 QBs drafted in the 2nd/3rd round between 2005 - 2010, not a single one was good (Only Henne, T. Jackson, and T. Edwards even started 30 games).

Of the 6 drafted in 2011-2012, 3 are already unquestioned starters by 2012 who have led their team to the playoffs.

You act like the Jets reached for an UDFA with the 5th pick in the draft. The Jets took a QB who fell to them in a position of desperate need. Because he was taken in the 2nd round, there is no rush to play him. For some reason, Shark has already written him off.
    Tannenhill vs. Smith. The Dolphin was drafted higher but was ranked amongst best Qbs in his class. He'll be a better pro.

I hope I'm dead wrong on Geno, my gut says he'll be a bust. One position I know a lot about is Qb.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark99 View Post
    Tannenhill vs. Smith. The Dolphin was drafted higher but was ranked amongst best Qbs in his class. He'll be a better pro.

I hope I'm dead wrong on Geno, my gut says he'll be a bust. One position I know a lot about is Qb.
    It's too bad you aren't an NFL scout, since you know so much....

Shark's comments are very Rain Man-like...

Is he a savant? Maybe there is some truth in what he says?

(Nah! )

I have skin as tough as an armadillo or alligator haters.

Geno needs to take classes with Chad who was great with the media. Chad was a Rhode Scholar Finalist to study in Oxford!

Geno needs to let the his play on the field do the talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Shark99 View Post
    Geno needs to take classes with Chad who was great with the media. Chad was a Rhode Scholar Finalist to study in Oxford!
    Heh. Yup. You know what would go over well, the first time the media truly criticizes you, talk about what a privilege it is to cover the team. Again, I'm not saying Pennington was out of line, but Pennington had no criticism coming out of the draft and got quite defensive when attacked too.

All Pro
    HOly crap talk about pimping your own thread!!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    please God (or Mods) do something about this annoying insect

The drafting of Geno ensures us getting Clowney next year. I can live with it.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by First DOWN! View Post
    If that were the case, that he was so bad we were that bad, why would we draft a DE?

That would be pretty stupid.

That's the spirit & positive energy we need!

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Heh. Yup. You know what would go over well, the first time the media truly criticizes you, talk about what a privilege it is to cover the team. Again, I'm not saying Pennington was out of line, but Pennington had no criticism coming out of the draft and got quite defensive when attacked too.
    Pennington should be our qb coach!

Start Geno now if that is the case!

Geno is an unknown entity. It will be interesting to watch him either develop or crash and burn. Until then, enjoy the ride.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2...hem-believable

Critics of Geno Smith everywhere ... but none of them believable

In a perfect world, Geno Smith becomes a star. He wins the starting job for the New York Jets. He wins games, awards, maybe even the Lombardi Trophy some day.

Know who would lose, in that scenario?

His critics. The gutless ones in the NFL who have savaged Smith for weeks behind the veil of anonymity. The mean-spirited ones in the media who have savaged Smith because it's safe, because everyone else is doing it, so here's another story ripping him! The guy from the scouting service, a guy whose name you recognize in 2013 if only because he did the same thing to Cam Newton in 2011.

Maybe, just maybe, Smith is a bad guy himself. Time will tell, but today is not that time. Today is a day to stop swallowing what is being pushed toward your throat and start thinking for yourself. Who is attacking Geno Smith, and why? And where is the "information" coming from?

How, in a matter of months, did Geno Smith devolve from a humble, smart, hard-working kid at West Virginia to the scourge of the 2013 draft -- a cocky, disinterested, future flop in the NFL?

It started with Nolan Nawrocki. Well, it did. He's the guy from that scouting service who ambushed Cam Newton before the 2011 draft as being "disingenuous" and having a "fake smile" and then getting to the actual football by writing that Newton "will not prove worthy of an early investment. An overhyped, high-risk, high-reward selection with a glaring bust factor."

Cam Newton was the AP Offensive Rookie of the Year in 2011. He went to the Pro Bowl, threw for 4,051 yards, ran for 708 yards. And then he put up similar numbers in 2012.

Glaring bust, my ass.

Undeterred, Nawrocki went in on Geno Smith this year, predicting Smith would "be overdrafted and struggle to produce against NFL defensive complexities [because he] did not show an understanding of concepts on the white board [and is] not a student of the game."

Translation: Geno Smith is lazy and not very smart.

We don't know Nawrocki's sources, but we know the sources for these stories about Geno Smith from this past season at West Virginia, one in the Washington Post and another in the New York Times. According to these stories Geno Smith is academically gifted, so smart that teachers offered to let him skip a grade in elementary school. By high school Smith was reading to hospital patients and working with teammates to help clean streets in Miramar, Fla.

Bad kid, Geno Smith? He sounds damn near perfect. He played chess. Wrote poetry. Won an oratorical contest by reciting a poem by Langston Hughes. And West Virginia offensive coordinator Shannon Dawson told the Post that Smith studied more film than any quarterback he'd ever seen.

But that's not the real Geno Smith, we're supposed to believe. And again, maybe it's not. Maybe he changed before the draft. Maybe stardom got to him. I'm not telling you it didn't happen; I'm telling you, I don't believe it happened just because anonymous sources with their own, unknown motivations say it did. My theory on this stuff? If you're going to rip somebody, put your name on it or shut the hell up. Anything less than full disclosure forces us to fill in the gaps, and I fill them in like so:

I don't believe you.

After Smith fell out of the first round, ESPN reported that he was going home. It didn't quote Smith, just reported it. People believed it. Smith stayed, and said his plan was always to stay. People didn't believe that. Why? Because the water already had been polluted by Nawrocki, and further muddied by Smith's fall out of the first round, and now it was open season on Geno Smith.

Pro Football Talk piled on like an absolute champ with a story that dared Smith not to show up for Day 2 of the draft:

"If Smith doesn't return," the story waxed moronically, "he'll be confirming in the minds of many that he can't show grit and resolve under pressure. That he'll sink his head and slump his shoulders when the team is 14 points behind in the third quarter."

Lord have mercy.

Smith did return, but it was too late. Anonymous sources were everywhere, and Smith gave them fodder by firing his agents after his humiliating draft slide. The New York Daily News reported that he fired his agents because of his "belief that he would have -- and should have -- been the No. 1 overall pick ... even though he was given no assurances of his draft position."

... even though he was given no assurances of his draft position.

Who do you suppose leaked that?

Smith countered that he fired his agents because they gave him bad advice -- to skip the Senior Bowl. EJ Manuel went to the Senior Bowl and won MVP and was the only quarterback drafted in the first round. Geno Smith skipped it and slipped to Round 2, though he acknowledged that skipping the Senior Bowl "was a decision I ultimately made."

Mature response. No matter. The wolves were out. Yahoo reported that Smith spent too much time on the phone when he was visiting with teams before the draft. ESPN.com had a source who couldn't come up with anything specific to smear him with, just the overall sense that Smith "is coming off as a spoiled, pampered brat."

Again, for the final time, maybe he is. Maybe. But that's not who Geno Smith was in college. It's not who Geno Smith was in high school. It's not who he was before that, when he was ripping through school so easily, so earnestly, that he was given the option of skipping a grade.

But that's who Geno Smith is now? I don't believe it.

Be great, Geno Smith. For yourself.

And them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    If that were the case, that he was so bad we were that bad, why would we draft a DE?

That would be pretty stupid.
    For God's sake, can you stop acting like Clowney is "just a DE."

And that even if we have the first pick next year is like some given this team should draft another QB FOR THE 2ND YEAR IN A ROW?

Anybody who has the first pick and doesn't take a healthy Clowney next year is an idiot, in my mind. You have no guarantees with Bridgewater, Boyd, or Manziel.

Clowney is more of a guarantee than Luck and RG3 combined.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    For God's sake, can you stop acting like Clowney is "just a DE."

And that even if we have the first pick next year is like some given this team should draft another QB FOR THE 2ND YEAR IN A ROW?

Anybody who has the first pick and doesn't take a healthy Clowney next year is an idiot, in my mind. You have no guarantees with Bridgewater, Boyd, or Manziel.

Clowney is more of a guarantee than Luck and RG3 combined.
    Ugh, this is the first time I've said a word about Clowney so the "for gods sake" drama queen routine is kind of silly and over the top.

A franchise QB is worth more than any DE ever. Hands down. Not close to being debatable.

Only an idiot will take a DE over a franchise QB. If you need one you're going for one. Only a moron would take any DE you can name from the history of the game over a Brady, Montana, Manning, Elway, etc, etc....
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 05-07-2013 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Ugh, because a franchise QB is worth more than any DE ever?

Hands down. Clowney may go 3rd or 4th in the draft.

Only an idiot will take a DE over a franchise QB. If you need one you're going for one.
    Lawrence Taylor>Phil Simms