Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Geno will be a bust?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    Lawrence Taylor>Phil Simms
    No sh1t.

Better than Brady, Montana, Manning, Elway, etc, etc?

No

ANd have to add, there is no guarantee that Clowney will be LT

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    please God (or Mods) do something about this annoying insect
    I think with all the whining that this species of "shark" is most likely one of those rare "dumb gulper sharks"

http://www.arkive.org/dumb-gulper-sh...us-harrissoni/

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    No sh1t.

No
    Please. Bridgewater is a good prospect but his name doesn't belong with that list of QB's. I'd take Luck over clowney but I'm not taking a QB just because he's the best in that class

All Pro
    Ugh, this is the first time I've said a word about Clowney so the "for gods sake" drama queen routine is kind of silly and over the top.

A franchise QB is worth more than any DE ever. Hands down. Not close to being debatable.

Only an idiot will take a DE over a franchise QB. If you need one you're going for one. Only a moron would take any DE you can name from the history of the game over a Brady, Montana, Manning, Elway, etc, etc....
    Are you extremely confident that next years draft class will yield a franchise QB worth taking first overall? And how are you defining "franchise QB?" Because the "idiot" is the guy who drafts Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Cade McNown, or Jamarcus Russell over Lawrence Taylor, and I don't think I'd take Matt Schuab or Tony Romo over Reggie White either.

Clowney is the best defensive prospect in 20 years. He'll go top two, almost guaranteed.

All Pro
    No sh1t.

No

ANd have to add, there is no guarantee that Clowney will be LT
    So you believe next years draft class has a HOF QB in it? Who specifically are you pining for? Because assuming whoever is the first QB taken (Bridgewater, Manziel, whoever) will be a HOFer is ridiculous. QB busts more often in the first round than almost any position.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    Please. Bridgewater is a good prospect but his name doesn't belong with that list of QB's. I'd take Luck over clowney but I'm not taking a QB just because he's the best in that class
    OK, I said that Bridgewater is as good as that list? I said no DE is as good as one of those QBs.

And Im saying that a possibility of a franchise QB is the pick too. Huge difference.

And at this point in time, before the season plays out, you have no clue what Bridgewater will project at, no one knows yet. But if he's looked at as a possible franchise QB he goes ahead of a DE.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    So you believe next years draft class has a HOF QB in it? Who specifically are you pining for? Because assuming whoever is the first QB taken (Bridgewater, Manziel, whoever) will be a HOFer is ridiculous. QB busts more often in the first round than almost any position.
    Man, where did I ever say that?

You know why there are more QB busts? Because it is the most important position in all sports, the hardest position to fill and teams will line up to take them.

All Pro
    Man, where did I ever say that?

You know why there are more QB busts? Because it is the most important position in all sports, the hardest position to fill and teams will line up to take them.
    I mean, in reality there probably aren't even MORE QB busts -- we just remember the busts. People remember David Carr and Jamarcus Russell but ask a random non-Jets fan who Dewayne Robertson is and they have no clue. Remember Derrick Harvey? Yeah, me neither. They fade away after the draft and you forget who they are.

My point is that Clowney is a once in a generation prospect. He's the Andrew Luck of DEs (which, while not nearly as important as QB, is probably the second most important position in football... Maybe third behind a truly elite WR.)

If as the GM you beleive that Teddy Bridgewater or Johnny Football are a true franchise QB that will lead the organization for 15 years can you justify taking him over Clowney? Sure.

But taking a QB first overall because you need a QB, regardless of how good the QB is is dumb, and it's insane when a guy like Clowney is there. In 2011 there was a run on QBs in a mediocre QB class. Guys like Jake Locker and Christian Ponder were going top 10-15 because of need. Two years later QBs were droppping like stones. Teams were learning from their mistakes.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I mean, in reality there probably aren't even MORE QB busts -- we just remember the busts. People remember David Carr and Jamarcus Russell but ask a random non-Jets fan who Dewayne Robertson is and they have no clue. Remember Derrick Harvey? Yeah, me neither. They fade away after the draft and you forget who they are.

My point is that Clowney is a once in a generation prospect. He's the Andrew Luck of DEs (which, while not nearly as important as QB, is probably the second most important position in football... Maybe third behind a truly elite WR.)

If as the GM you beleive that Teddy Bridgewater or Johnny Football are a true franchise QB that will lead the organization for 15 years can you justify taking him over Clowney? Sure.

But taking a QB first overall because you need a QB, regardless of how good the QB is is dumb, and it's insane when a guy like Clowney is there. In 2011 there was a run on QBs in a mediocre QB class. Guys like Jake Locker and Christian Ponder were going top 10-15 because of need. Two years later QBs were droppping like stones. Teams were learning from their mistakes.
    Think we're in agreement, my point is if you have a guy you believe has a chance to be your franchise QB you never take a DE over him. The payoff for a franchise QB is too big.

A HOF DE probably isn't worth as much to a team as a less that franchise QB. I would probably take a real good 2nd tier QB over one, will win me more games.

Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Geno is an unknown entity. It will be interesting to watch him either develop or crash and burn. Until then, enjoy the ride.
    Indeed

Johnny Football is nice but will his game translate to pros & will he be durable?

Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    For God's sake, can you stop acting like Clowney is "just a DE."

And that even if we have the first pick next year is like some given this team should draft another QB FOR THE 2ND YEAR IN A ROW?

Anybody who has the first pick and doesn't take a healthy Clowney next year is an idiot, in my mind. You have no guarantees with Bridgewater, Boyd, or Manziel.

Clowney is more of a guarantee than Luck and RG3 combined.
    1. They would be drafting a defensive lineman for the 4th year in a row

2. Even if Clowney is 80 percent likely to be the next Bruce Smith, I'm not sure if it's better than getting a guy who has a 50 percent chance of becoming the next Ben Roethlisberger. The value of a good qb is higher than a great d lineman. Plus, the fact that the Jets took Geno Smith in the 2nd round makes it very easy to draft a other qb.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    1. They would be drafting a defensive lineman for the 4th year in a row

2. Even if Clowney is 80 percent likely to be the next Bruce Smith, I'm not sure if it's better than getting a guy who has a 50 percent chance of becoming the next Ben Roethlisberger. The value of a good qb is higher than a great d lineman. Plus, the fact that the Jets took Geno Smith in the 2nd round makes it very easy to draft a other qb.
    Qb is the way to go if we feel it's a franchise player for the next 10 years.

Woody is very happy we drafted Smith. That's a bad sign b/c he is clueless and needs to be quiet and let Idzik run the team instead of getting involved. He said Tebow would be here for his contract and that we can't get enough Tebow. WOODY stick to paying the bills and supporting the Republicans!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark99 View Post
    Woody is very happy we drafted Smith. That's a bad sign b/c he is clueless and needs to be quiet and let Idzik run the team instead of getting involved. He said Tebow would be here for his contract and that we can't get enough Tebow. WOODY stick to paying the bills and supporting the Republicans!
    BAN

Woody is a good business and needs to stick to paying the bills & stay in the background.

Sooth started a thread about not drafting a Qb this year & I agreed. It was a very week class.

Geno Smith = Geno Smith

Geno has a lot of pressure & the most I recall a 2nd rounder of ours ever having.

Jets don't have a good history w/2nd rd. Picks. SEE Clemens, Nagle, Boise, Rembert, Ducasse etc. WILL Geno change this???