Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Geno will be a bust?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark99 View Post
    Geno is a project that needs to sit & learn. I didn't like the pick &would have puked had we taken him first round. He's immature & had arguably thw best Wrs in college & comes to our team that has backups that hopefully become play makers. His completion percentage was inflated b/c of his short passes & austin had great yardage after catches. His long ball is avg & now reports about his attitude!
    yet he will easily be better than Mark Sanchez.. Even if he doesn't become GREAT and we decide to pick another qb within next few years, Geno would be a decent backup. He is very fast and watching the trend with qbs with speed he could be a useful backup.. Im ok with Izdik taking a leap on faith on Geno in 2nd when all experts said before draft he wouldn't be there at #9. he could be very good or a bust like mark.. Unless your picking #1, #2 on picks like Luck or RG3 you simply don't know with qbs.. And doubt we will ever be that bad to get the #1 pick.. So you have to roll the dice in he draft with the not sure thing qbs because otherwise we will NEVER get a good qb.. Teams do not let franchise qbs go often so forget about FA. But he would never be as bad as Sanchez, its hard work to be that bad..

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    yet he will easily be better than Mark Sanchez.. Even if he doesn't become GREAT and we decide to pick another qb within next few years, Geno would be a decent backup. He is very fast and watching the trend with qbs with speed he could be a useful backup.. Im ok with Izdik taking a leap on faith on Geno in 2nd when all experts said before draft he wouldn't be there at #9. he could be very good or a bust like mark.. Unless your picking #1, #2 on picks like Luck or RG3 you simply don't know with qbs.. And doubt we will ever be that bad to get the #1 pick.. So you have to roll the dice in he draft with the not sure thing qbs because otherwise we will NEVER get a good qb.. Teams do not let franchise qbs go often so forget about FA. But he would never be as bad as Sanchez, its hard work to be that bad..

I hope you are right!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    If he will easily be better than Mark Sanchez then he will easily lead us to the Superbowl? Doubtful!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    I said he would be a bust before the draft. His demeanor and the fact he is raw won't help him to become even an avg. QB.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Geno Smith's maturity questioned

Smith's behavior before, during and after the draft has raised questions about his maturity, according to NFL talent evaluators. It also may have cost him money, approximately $3 million a year.

At least one quarterback-needy team in the top 10 passed on him because of the diva attitude he displayed in a pre-draft visit, according to a league source.

He's going to have a tough time in New York. Right now, he's coming off as a spoiled, pampered brat.

-- NFC scout, speaking on the condition of anonymity
    After falling out of the first round, the former West Virginia star threatened to leave the draft and go home. He dropped to the second round and responded by firing his agents, sparking another firestorm of criticism.

"He's going to have a tough time in New York," an NFC scout said, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "Right now, he's coming off as a spoiled, pampered brat."

Leading into the draft, word spread that Smith was preoccupied with his cell phone during pre-draft visits, texting friends and checking Twitter during meetings with team officials, as first reported by Yahoo! Sports.

In the NFL, a team visit is akin to a job interview. An aloof prospect is a major turnoff.

A league source confirmed the report. In fact, an official from one team -- not a team that visited with Smith -- said the cell-phone episode was mentioned and discussed in its draft room while evaluating Smith.

That same team rated Smith the top quarterback in the draft, but assigned him only a second-round grade.

Initially, the Jets had some doubts about Smith. They met with him at the scouting combine in February and weren't blown away, according to a source.

They gave him the benefit of the doubt, chalking it up to interview fatigue. The combine can be taxing for the top prospects, all of whom are swamped with team interviews, one after another.

The Jets met again with Smith on the eve of his pro-day workout in Morgantown, W. Va., and they came away "raving" about him, a source said. They also flew him to Florham Park, N.J., to meet with him at their facility.

"We've visited him, we went out to dinner with him, we brought him to New York, we went to his pro day, we've watched him play, we've been on his campus," general manager John Idzik said. "So we did our homework on Geno and we got a real good feel for him."

Coincidentally, the team parted ways this week with the scout who did the most homework on Smith -- assistant director of college scouting Michael Davis, whose contract wasn't renewed. West Virginia was one of the schools in his territory.

Jets' Greatest Draft Thefts

From Gastineau to Klecko, we ranked the top 10 Jets draft steals. Top 10

Smith's bad publicity started before the draft, when Pro Football Weekly trashed him in its annual draft guide. Its scouting report questioned his work ethic and leadership skills, saying "he's not a student of the game ... and doesn't command respect from teammates."

Smith still was regarded as a possible top-10 pick. The Jets passed on him at No. 9, and again at 13, before selecting him with the 39th pick.

He will sign a four-year contract for roughly $4.99 million, the amount of last year's 39th choice, St. Louis Rams cornerback Janoris Jenkins. If he had been in the heart of the top 10, he would be making more than $4 million per year.

The fall, he said, was "hard to stomach." Smith claimed his decision to fire his agents, Erik Burkhardt and Jeff Nalley of the Select Sports Group, wasn't directly related to the plummet. But it sent a bad message to NFL types.

"One of his perceived weaknesses is working through adversity," an AFC personnel executive said after the news broke that Smith was changing agents.

Smith couldn't be reached for comment. He was asked about the criticism the day after he was selected by the Jets. That was before he fired his agents and before information emerged regarding his pre-draft visits.

"My character and my play speaks for itself," he said. "The people who've known me my entire life, and who have coached me, have all come to my defense. As far as that goes, I'm just looking towards the future and really not worrying about the past."

Smith received a playbook immediately after being picked and he will return May 10 for the team's rookie minicamp, where the spotlight will be focused on him. He's in a five-way competition for the starting job, with the incumbent -- the embattled Mark Sanchez -- basically saying he won't let a rookie take his job.

"I'll help him out as much as I can," Sanchez said. "But when we have to compete, we have to compete. That's the way it goes."

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not much the Turnover machine can do to keep any of the others from winning the competiton since, as a QB, he SUCKS

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I said he would be a bust before the draft. His demeanor and the fact he is raw won't help him to become even an avg. QB.
    How is he raw, because he played 3 years or because you thought you needed one more cliche in this thread.

Along with he is inaccurate.

Or only played out of the shotgun.

Admit it, you've never seen him play

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    How is he raw, because he played 3 years or because you thought you needed one more cliche in this thread.

I've been watching WV since the Reggie Rembert & Major Harris days.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Haven't we all scene the Maycock clips where he shows how inconsistent & inaccurate he can be?

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't we all scene the Maycock clips where he shows how inconsistent & inaccurate he can be?
    So was McNabb.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Before you start making predictions why don't we let this kid actually get on the field.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another thread on how Geno will suck.
    Shocking.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I keep wondering why all of a sudden all of these unnamed sources are attacking Smith? Where were all these rumours and speculation before the draft?
    I have two possible theories. One easy one being the just fired agents badmouthing him, which would make sense. The other possibility that occurred to me is what about other front offices that may have been in the market for a QB and passed on Smith, or thought they could pick him up at a latter spot. Is it possible they are conducting a little CYA. Leaking BS about Smith annonymously so they have something to point to as the reason they did not grab him. Is this possible or am I just being a paranoid conspiracy theorist?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 20andout View Post
    I keep wondering why all of a sudden all of these unnamed sources are attacking Smith? Where were all these rumours and speculation before the draft?
    I have two possible theories. One easy one being the just fired agents badmouthing him, which would make sense. The other possibility that occurred to me is what about other front offices that may have been in the market for a QB and passed on Smith, or thought they could pick him up at a latter spot. Is it possible they are conducting a little CYA. Leaking BS about Smith annonymously so they have something to point to as the reason they did not grab him. Is this possible or am I just being a paranoid conspiracy theorist?
    I think both are possible. The agent situation really strikes me as odd, but not so much from Geno's end. Players change agents all the time, but agents usually don't seek out media outlets to offer up the reason they think they were fired, most actually don't even speak about it. But to then go to another media outlet after your original statement to "wish him the best" really seems like going to extensive measures to get your story as agents out there so that the actual story never gets looked into or discussed.

It would appear to me that Geno took the high road by not airing the dirty laundry between the 2 parties, but he's too immature for that, so I am stumped.

I don't think there is a conspericay against Geno Smith, I just think it's an easy story to write about the lightning rod Jets and a QB who fell in the draft.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjets1969 View Post
    Before you start making predictions why don't we let this kid actually get on the field.
    It's only a prediction before something happens. Once it has already happened its history.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 20andout View Post
    I keep wondering why all of a sudden all of these unnamed sources are attacking Smith? Where were all these rumours and speculation before the draf??
    Same place they are now newspapers and internet. Guess you didnt see them before.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Scene?

Thought you watched him? A handful of throws? I could do that with every single QB who has thrown a pass.

72% completion says you havent watched WV

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Scene?

Thought you watched him? A handful of throws? I could do that with every single QB who has thrown a pass.

He had a lot of short passes to Austin who made him look good and fumbles more than Sanchez

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Scene?

The most compelling statistic is this:

7.7 yards per attempt in his senior season.

As compared to RG3 (10.7) and Luck (9.4).

Although the completion percentages may be similar (RG3 72.4, Luck 71.3, 71.2), that accuracy myth may be just that. West Virginia's offence isn't based on the deep ball from what I've read, however. Hopefully it's just statistics, but it looks like something is there.

I will say that Smith completed 88% of his passes at one point, so he played less than the 71.2 that's indicated for the entire season.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Scene?

What makes him so good in your opinion that you defend him like he's your son?