Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324
Results 461 to 469 of 469

Thread: Geno will be a bust?

  1. #461

    Smile

    The amount of attention Geno has received it is as if he was the #1 draft pick. For the time being it has taken pressure off Dee & Sheldon which is a good thing!

  2. #462
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark99 View Post
    The amount of attention Geno has received it is as if he was the #1 draft pick. For the time being it has taken pressure off Dee & Sheldon which is a good thing!
    It is preposterous!!

    And it truly shows why the Jets have to be careful with Smith because these same people writing about him now will be the same folks ripping him apart if and when something goes wrong....

  3. #463
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    It is preposterous!!

    And it truly shows why the Jets have to be careful with Smith because these same people writing about him now will be the same folks ripping him apart if and when something goes wrong....
    I can't remember a 2nd rder. having more pressure on him. Looks like the team is trying to take some of the heat off him.

  4. #464
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,948
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    It's actually a comparison of some Italians' complexion to Africans (e.g. originating from Guinea). As an Italian-American of a certain vintage, I have not to date encountered any Italian-American who thinks it's a compliment or OK to use, although latter-day usage is probably more akin to its replacements "guido" or "cafone" in that the intent is to label someone of Italian descent exhibiting certain cultural behavior as declasse', gauche and uncouth rather than as a racial slur (for you Hibernians out there "Shanty Irish" would be a rough equivalent) Like the "N-word" but actually, thankfully fading out of usage and into extinction. Until it was revived in this thread....

    Nevertheless, we'll soon be told by the OP in short order that the term "wop" came about affectionately due to a love for street corner harmonizing or really stands for "With Out Parmesan"...
    I really don't think any Americans had any idea why Italians were called Guineas. No one is exactly sure now. It's a very old term, used by the English. It is true that Blacks, and Hispanics were called Guineas, in England back in the 16th century. Italians also happened to call Sicilians Guineas. The fact that they paid in Guineas may have had something to do with the switch also.

    WOP on the other hand is the American version of guappo which is a word that Italians used themselves, and Americans picked up from them.

  5. #465
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,948
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    It is preposterous!!

    And it truly shows why the Jets have to be careful with Smith because these same people writing about him now will be the same folks ripping him apart if and when something goes wrong....
    Idzik is not worried about what anyone thinks. He certainly is not going to be careful, or careless based on what the media may, or may not say.

  6. #466
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Idzik is not worried about what anyone thinks. He certainly is not going to be careful, or careless based on what the media may, or may not say.
    That's what I like about him he doesn't care what the media thinks

  7. #467
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark99 View Post
    The amount of attention Geno has received it is as if he was the #1 draft pick. For the time being it has taken pressure off Dee & Sheldon which is a good thing!
    Good point.


    Could you imagine if we hadn't taken a high profile qb in round 2? The media would have turned Milliner into target #1. The first time a WR catches a 5 yard slant against Milliner there'd be Outside The Lines documentaries on ESPN talking about what a monumental bust he is. Geno at the very least takes pressure off guys who will be starting from day one.

  8. #468
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,771
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Good point.


    Could you imagine if we hadn't taken a high profile qb in round 2? The media would have turned Milliner into target #1. The first time a WR catches a 5 yard slant against Milliner there'd be Outside The Lines documentaries on ESPN talking about what a monumental bust he is. Geno at the very least takes pressure off guys who will be starting from day one.
    The Kyle Wilson career record provides political cover against a slow start by Miliner IMO.

  9. #469
    The chance of Geno busting just increased with Garrard retiring. I really liked Garrard & felt he was the perfect mentor for him & could even help Sanchez if Mark stays. Garrard you are a class act & we wish you the best in your future endeavors...

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us