Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: What NFL QBs had a subpar first 3 to 4 years and then succeeded?

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Bingo.

Thus the reason Mark Sanchez may be redeemable. The Jets are that bad.

SAR I
    If only, that would be the fastest way out of this mess.

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    The best case scenario is booting him, his girly headband and his 26 annual turnovers out in early June

June FOUR, Out the DOOR
    So who's the QB if Geno shows that he clearly isn't ready and Garrard gets hurt in training camp (or has nothing left in the tank)? Both are real possibilities.

I do agree about the headband, though. Mark clearly was trying to get physical - like Olivia Newton-John!

Quote Originally Posted by MykePM View Post
    So who's the QB if Geno shows that he clearly isn't ready and Garrard gets hurt in training camp (or has nothing left in the tank)? Both are real possibilities.

I do agree about the headband, though. Mark clearly was trying to get physical - like Olivia Newton-John!
    McElroy.

You can argue that Sanchez shouldn't be on the roster.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Over four seasons, Mark Sanchez's "signature" game is one where he went 16-25, 194 and 3 TDs. Sure, it was in the playoffs, but Aaron Rodgers threw for a billion yards in the same postseason.

Your point is right on - you can't regress if you never really progressed.

BTW - time to change the tag under your name, my man. We no longer want to see Darrelle heal up.
    Wow I didnt know that Aaron Rogers beat the Pats in Foxbourgh during that playoff run.....

What was the score?????

Hate Sanchez all you want but come on and be fair!!!!

Good Grief!!!!
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 05-03-2013 at 05:25 PM.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    If only, that would be the fastest way out of this mess.
    It would be just like the Jets, wouldn't it?

Have the team (1982, 1986, 2000) but not the quarterback (Todd, O'Brien, Testaverde) and then finally get the quarterback (Sanchez) but not the team (2013, 2014, 2015).

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    In a perfect world I agree but knowing how Jet fans are and the first game is at Metlife against the Buc's and Mevis.. Well...
    This...!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil Simms went from 1979 to 1986 with a QB rating below 80. In that entire time frame, he threw exactly one more touchdown than interception. In that entire time frame, his best completion percentage was 55.6%.

Steve Young's first 4 years (2 on tampa and 2 on SF) didn't produce a completion percentage higher than 53,7%. He threw 21 TD's and 21 Int's in that time frame (helped by 10TDS and 0 INT's his 3rd year).

Terry Brandshaw's first 7 years were fun...his completion percentage was higher than 50% 2 times, below it the other 5. His sixth year in the league was the first time he threw more touchdowns than interceptions. That sixth year was the first time is QB rating broke 64.

Rich Gannon didn't throw for 3000 yards in a season until his 11th year in the league.

Should I go on?

The other thing about Sanchez Is the college inexperience thing,it's really caught up with him.

He never really had to deal with adversity much at USC in his 16 or so starts and then came out as a junior.In QB terms he pretty much came into the league as a sophomore.Rode the wave of a top ranked defence and some decent talent on offence plus a bit of rookie euphoria and the element of surprise/unknown to some unexpected playoff success before in 2011 and 12 he got found out around the league,saw the talent around him diminish thanks to some bizarre personnel decisions(Braylon and Cotchery at he expense of Holmes,Plaxico and Mason)and struggled to deal with something college never really taught him about....adversity.

In many ways he's played out his junior and senior seasons in the NFL over a protracted 4 year period and here we are in 2013 with a guy who's certainly been through the ups and downs who's still only 26(Pennington and Rodgers had barely stepped on the field by that age).maybe he's too far gone but I'll keep. Hoping

All Pro
    A lot of these comparisons don't really add up because it's easier to pass the ball nowadays than it was in the 80s and 90s. It's never been easier for young QBs to succeed right away than it is today.

Quote Originally Posted by persiussa View Post
    It looks like for the jets the line could be fixed for the first time since the '10 season. Lets see what happens now. This is his year. If he doesn't do it this time then that's probably his last chance to do it here.
    I agree with you. Here's a shocker, I also agree with SAR's comments in this thread.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    It's going to be brutal at Metlife if he get the nod in camp..
    Absolutely, would be tough to trot him out there on opening day but if he's the best QB camp the Jets have to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Wow I didnt know that Aaron Rogers beat the Pats in Foxbourgh during that playoff run.....

What was the score?????

Hate Sanchez all you want but come on and be fair!!!!

Good Grief!!!!
    I think you might have missed my point with that. I was pointing out that in 4 full seasons, Sanchez has ONE performance where you can argue that he was the best player on the field. Rogers was the best player on the field in 3 out of the 4 playoff wins in that same postseason. I'll even throw in Week 2 against NE in 2010, but that's 2 games in four seasons. Unacceptable.

I don't hate Sanchez. I root for the laundry. If the guy turns it around I'll be floored, but he'll also be the QB I'm pulling for each and every Sunday.

I just don't see what there is to defend about him when you look at his career as a whole. He rode along with a talented team and then shriveled up when he was asked to elevate the play of his teammates (like any good QB). That's not the guy I want under center if I have a choice.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Absolutely, would be tough to trot him out there on opening day but if he's the best QB camp the Jets have to do it.
    The Jets have to do it for two reasons which is why it'll happen:

1. If he's the better quarterback, he gives us the best chance to win.

2. If he's not the better quarterback, he takes the punishment, not Geno.

This season is lost before it starts, we're 4-12 if that. No sense in getting our new QB demolished. Same for the head coach. Let Ryan and Sanchez get pummeled into oblivion, next year we have a fresh head coach and an unabused QB and we can get moving towards our future again.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    The Jets have to do it for two reasons which is why it'll happen:

1. If he's the better quarterback, he gives us the best chance to win.

2. If he's not the better quarterback, he takes the punishment, not Geno.

This season is lost before it starts, we're 4-12 if that. No sense in getting our new QB demolished. Same for the head coach. Let Ryan and Sanchez get pummeled into oblivion, next year we have a fresh head coach and an unabused QB and we can get moving towards our future again.

SAR I
    I actually agree with #1. But isn't #2 contradictory? So if Sanchez gives us the best chance to win, you want him to play, but if he doesn't give us the best chance to win, you don't want to win?

The point that many Sanchez detractors have been trying to make for a long time now is that a lot of the "punishment" is self-inflicted when it comes to Sanchez.

With Geno (or Garrard for that matter) you have a QB that might not shrivel up at the first sign of pressure. A QB who might actually have enough pocket presence to get rid of the ball before he gets punished. A QB who might actually elevate the play of guys like Hill and Kerley.

If it happens the way you lay it out and Sanchez is bloodied up before being dumped...well, it is what it is. But for me, if he doesn't give this team the best chance to win, sit his ass on the bench where it belongs and THEN dump him.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    I actually agree with #1. But isn't #2 contradictory? So if Sanchez gives us the best chance to win, you want him to play, but if he doesn't give us the best chance to win, you don't want to win?

The point that many Sanchez detractors have been trying to make for a long time now is that a lot of the "punishment" is self-inflicted when it comes to Sanchez.

With Geno (or Garrard for that matter) you have a QB that might not shrivel up at the first sign of pressure. A QB who might actually have enough pocket presence to get rid of the ball before he gets punished. A QB who might actually elevate the play of guys like Hill and Kerley.

If it happens the way you lay it out and Sanchez is bloodied up before being dumped...well, it is what it is. But for me, if he doesn't give this team the best chance to win, sit his ass on the bench where it belongs and THEN dump him.
    I guess what I'm saying is that the Jets win either way by starting Sanchez.

If he's our best QB, fine, it's the responsible thing to do.

-or-

If the Jets hate Sanchez, start him no matter what so he gets all the mental/physical damage and protect Geno for '14 when we're better equipped to protect him and compete.

We're in the middle of a 2+ year rebuild, clearly the emphasis is on defense again, clearly the O is a work-in-progress. We have a built-in punching bag if we want to use Mark that way. It's evil, but that seems to be our MO right now. Rex Ryan, same thing. He's taking the pummeling this year, keeps the new HC clean for '14.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfanri View Post
    Phil Simms went from 1979 to 1986 with a QB rating below 80. In that entire time frame, he threw exactly one more touchdown than interception. In that entire time frame, his best completion percentage was 55.6%.

Steve Young's first 4 years (2 on tampa and 2 on SF) didn't produce a completion percentage higher than 53,7%. He threw 21 TD's and 21 Int's in that time frame (helped by 10TDS and 0 INT's his 3rd year).

Terry Brandshaw's first 7 years were fun...his completion percentage was higher than 50% 2 times, below it the other 5. His sixth year in the league was the first time he threw more touchdowns than interceptions. That sixth year was the first time is QB rating broke 64.

Rich Gannon didn't throw for 3000 yards in a season until his 11th year in the league.

Should I go on?
    No, we need to be patient. Go Geno.

Mark Sanchez is an immature, soft, inaccurate, turnover prone player. Jets took a risk. He busted. It happens.

The odds say he will not only not be redeemed in New York, but he will never be redeemed. He will either be cut or leave at seasons end, will get a backup job somewhere and then languish as a veteran journeyman #2, and never be a regular starter in the NFL again.

Because he simply isn't good enough. He'd have to improve materially to get another shot at a #1 job.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Arctor View Post
    Mark Sanchez is an immature, soft, inaccurate, turnover prone player. Jets took a risk. He busted. It happens.

The odds say he will not only not be redeemed in New York, but he will never be redeemed. He will either be cut or leave at seasons end, will get a backup job somewhere and then languish as a veteran journeyman #2, and never be a regular starter in the NFL again.

Because he simply isn't good enough. He'd have to improve materially to get another shot at a #1 job.
    Joe Montana couldn't have won 6 games in New York with the 2012 Jets.

It's a team sport. We were built to win it on defense and the ground game. If you're looking for a scapegoat, start there.

SAR I

An Average NFL QB, as opposed to one who is amongst the worst, least accurate, most turnover prone and least talented in the NFL, and the Jets are 9-7 at worst in 2012.

More like 10-6.

Games Sanchez lost we win with an Average QB in 2012? Texans. At Patriots. Titans. Minimum. Probably win in the final week vs. Buffalo as well.

Mark Sanchez is simply a bad QB. And the odds say he will continue to be a bad QB.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Arctor View Post
    An Average NFL QB, as opposed to one who is amongst the worst, least accurate, most turnover prone and least talented in the NFL, and the Jets are 9-7 at worst in 2012.

More like 10-6.

Games Sanchez lost we win with an Average QB in 2012? Texans. At Patriots. Titans. Minimum. Probably win in the final week vs. Buffalo as well.

Mark Sanchez is simply a bad QB. And the odds say he will continue to be a bad QB.
    At Patriots.

You mean the game where Mark Sanchez drove us down the field to get the lead with a minute left only to watch the defense blow it twice and lose it in OT?

Do you even watch the games? Give it a try sometime, really helps give you perspective.

Not a single WR or TE that Mark had at his disposal after the Holmes injury belonged on an NFL roster last year. It's a miracle Mark got 6 wins.

SAR I