Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What NFL QBs had a subpar first 3 to 4 years and then succeeded?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Wasn't that bad they won Bowls in his 5th and 6th year..
    His 5th year , 1974 . Horrible stats

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    As frustrated as Sanchez made me last year it is true they never let him have any continuity with the offense.. I just hope other Jet fans can cut him a break if he starts this season..
    Oh please, you can't run any system where your QB never develops a rhythm because he's erratic and wild and generally makes poor decisions after his first read.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    His 5th year , 1974 . Horrible stats
    But how was he in the playoffs and Bowl?? Joe Gilliam played for alot of the 1974 season..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Name I have seen mentioned yet.

Kurt Warner

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    Name I have seen mentioned yet.

Kurt Warner
    Warner's a sure-fire hall of famer who literally was picked up out of a grocery store by Dick Vermeil and got a chance when Trent Green, a very highly paid recent signee, blew out his knee..........twice.

It's not remotely comparable. Warner wasn't in the league failing or playing like Sanchez has been.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Oh please, you can't run any system where your QB never develops a rhythm because he's erratic and wild and generally makes poor decisions after his first read.
    Could he be finished? Sure but I have seen QB's come from the depths before. That being said I rather see Garrard or Geno win the job in camp..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Warner's a sure-fire hall of famer who literally was picked up out of a grocery store by Dick Vermeil and got a chance when Trent Green, a very highly paid recent signee, blew out his knee..........twice.

It's not remotely comparable. Warner wasn't in the league failing or playing like Sanchez has been.
    He had a few tryouts in training camps early in his career where he failed and was cut.

I didn't say it was comparable to Sanchez.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    But how was he in the playoffs and Bowl?? Joe Gilliam played for alot of the 1974 season..
    I'm sure he was great. Sorta like Mark the first two seasons

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    I wonder why no other team in the NFL shares your view? They have access to the same stats as you - don't they recognize that the guy is a playoff beast who only needs to be supported?

Why are teams like KC and BUF trading for retreads like Alex Smith and Kevin Kolb when Sanchez would be available for a 7th rounder? Alex Smith has only won one playoff game. Mark Sanchez has won 4. And threw for over 100 yards in all of them.

Kevin Kolb is 29, and has never won a playoff game. Mark Sanchez is two years younger, and is completely unstoppable in the playoffs. Why wouldn't the Bills trade for him and support him?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Could he be finished? Sure but I have seen QB's come from the depths before. That being said I rather see Garrard or Geno win the job in camp..
    Of course he could, he's still relatively young.

But it's not happening here in the largest media market on Earth.

He doesn't project better than Alex Smith. He never did. The measurables (Size, speed, arm strength) were all red flags and the situations parallel each other.

Sanchez and Smith are only ever going to be good where they are physically told to make a read then throw the ball away and don't lose the game.

As such, neither are Super Bowl QBs in the reality of today's NFL.

You will not see Stan Humphries, Jim Miller, or Chris Chandler appearing in the Super Bowl anytime soon. That level of QB play and the ability of a running game and defense to win games has essentially been delegated out of the game outside of extreme outliers like Adrian Peterson.

The floor was lowered this past season as Flacco won a Super Bowl, but he's still enormous with a cannon, which is something to keep in mind.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

He also played for the Iowa Barnstormers and said the quick QB play of arena football helped him when he got his chance with the Rams.. Hmm I guess Tebow isn't Arena football material either..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    only thing here is that sanchez had 2 excellent years and then production went down................not to mention the team did nothing to surround him with weapons while weapons were leaving.

the funny thing is i would not be surprised seeing sanchez on another team doing well as a starter

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly, what type of team can win with a QB completing 55% of his passes in 2013? A QB leading the league in turnovers 2 years in a row? A QB who ranks lower than 32nd in many measurables in a 32 team league.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Exactly, what type of team can win with a QB completing 55% of his passes in 2013? A QB leading the league in turnovers 2 years in a row? A QB who ranks lower than 32nd in many measurables in a 32 team league.
    The 2007 Giants?? Oh 2013?? I don't know they didn't play the season yet??

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with SAR, Sanchez is worth another look.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    I'm with SAR, Sanchez is worth another look.
    It's going to be brutal at Metlife if he get the nod in camp..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Eli Manning comparisons are humorous at this point.

They are completely inapplicable because Sanchez didn't win the Super Bowl last year.

He's now a 60% completion QB with essentially 4 4,000 yard seasons under his belt.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    I'm still defending him.

From a bad OC to a worse one, and from average talent around him to terrible talent around him, doesn't get old. It's real.
    The quitting really got to me. It's hard to defend guys like Holmes (not that MS is in the same category, just an example) when they quit during games. He wasn't always like that. Both of them.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    I know it's unpopular, but I wouldn't get rid of Sanchez so easily. He has been disgusting the last two seasons, no defending that. But he has performed very well in some huge games. That does count for something. And to say he didn't earn it or just along for the ride is idiotic iIMO

I want him part of the QB completion, and if he loses, so be it
    You can't cut him. Lets see how the preseason pans out.