Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What NFL QBs had a subpar first 3 to 4 years and then succeeded?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    That's insane. Different era I suppose.
    Maynard had 72 catches and 1265 yds in 1960 with the Titans..

All League
    Wow. I know it was a different era, but his stats don't match his game. If you showed me those stats and asked who's they are, I would never guess Bradshaw.
    Bradshaw was asked by Evan Roberts & Benigno just after this past season ended about Sanchez sucking, and he surprised the sh1t out of them by defending Mark big-time.

He said that he though about quitting alot 'cause he sucked so bad, and he said he wouldn't have minded being released by the Steelers, because he couldn't deliver, and he wanted a fresh new start. It was only when they started getting better talent on both sides of the ball that it started to click for him.

Four f*cking SBs later, who would've thunk it?

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    9 TDs, 3 INTs are great in the postseason. But dig deeper, we were winning by running the ball. In our 4 victories Sanchez's passing yards were all under 200. We lost the two games in which he threw for more than 200 yards. Our opponents figured out that to beat us they just had to stop our run.
    Dig deeper still, none of our opponents scored over 20 points in any of those wins. We won with our D. We even held a historically great Pats offense to a whopping 3 first half points. That was the same year they were generally up like 28-3 over most teams by halftime.

I'm seeing Eli, Doug Williams, Gannon, Steve Young, Vinny Testaverde, etc.

So we're saying there's a chance, even if it's small, that under the right circumstances we could see Sanchez 2.0 be successful?

I think we need to give him one more shot and not dump him on June 1. Let him battle it out all Summer and see what happens. But this is the last shot.

Cutting him on June 1 would be a mistake in my opinion. Unfortunately, I can see a very Jet-like scenario in which we dump Sanchez just as he's starting to "get it" and he catches on with another team to become a good starter.

I can just imagine Sanchez becoming good, not great, but a consistent starter for some team whose coach says, "Well, look at who was surrounding him in 2012. What did you expect? Mark Sanchez isn't inadequate, it was the Jets handling of Mark Sanchez that was inadequate. We're happy he's our starting QB."
    All I'm Gonna say is that I haven't given up on rivers in San Diego and his line situation is as bad as the jets. It looks like for the jets the line could be fixed for the first time since the '10 season. Lets see what happens now. This is his year. If he doesn't do it this time then that's probably his last chance to do it here.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    Bradshaw was asked by Evan Roberts & Benigno just after this past season ended about Sanchez sucking, and he surprised the sh1t out of them by defending Mark big-time.

He said that he though about quitting alot 'cause he sucked so bad, and he said he wouldn't have minded being released by the Steelers, because he couldn't deliver, and he wanted a fresh new start. It was only when they started getting better talent on both sides of the ball that it started to click for him.

Bradshaw was drafted in 1970 in 1974 Pitt had the best draft in NFL history that produced 4 HOF players..Lynn Swann, Jack Lambert, John Stallworth and Mike Webster. Notice the 2 W/R's..

9 TDs, 3 INTs are great in the postseason. But dig deeper, we were winning by running the ball. In our 4 victories Sanchez's passing yards were all under 200. We lost the two games in which he threw for more than 200 yards. Our opponents figured out that to beat us they just had to stop our run.
    In all 4 playoff wins, Mark had to make 4-5 big time throws to keep drives alive so the running game could do its job. And all 9 TD's were precision passes, no flukes, maybe a dump off or two.

We lost the two AFCCG's because the D put us in a big second-half hole early and they knew that all we could do is try to pass.

And let's not forget the 2010 comebacks that turned a 7-9 season into an 11-5 season, games in which the defense couldn't hold leads and Mark led us all the way back. Five of those contests if you include the playoff comeback at Indy.

And let's not forget the Pittsburgh win with the QB sneak. And let's not forget that Mark had a 2011 lead at Denver and a 2012 lead at New England that the defense couldn't hold with a minute left, two losses that crippled both seasons.

Mark has had more success and more moments than any Jets QB since Namath. Then things went very badly, some his fault, some the Jets fault. He's worth another look.

SAR I

Amazing how impatient and intolerant we are at times.

I'm of the opinion that Sanchez quit in many games last year. I defended him up until very recently. He has to come out and become a QB we haven't seen on a consistent basis to make people shut up.

A revamped o-line will help significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Bradshaw was drafted in 1970 in 1974 Pitt had the best draft in NFL history that produced 4 HOF players..Lynn Swann, Jack Lambert, John Stallworth and Mike Webster. Notice the 2 W/R's..
    Now all we need are those HOFers!

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    I don't think that is a criminal point of view for a Jets fan to take, nor do I think that Mark Sanchez can't improve if supported.

SAR I
    I wonder why no other team in the NFL shares your view? They have access to the same stats as you - don't they recognize that the guy is a playoff beast who only needs to be supported?

Why are teams like KC and BUF trading for retreads like Alex Smith and Kevin Kolb when Sanchez would be available for a 7th rounder? Alex Smith has only won one playoff game. Mark Sanchez has won 4. And threw for over 100 yards in all of them.

Kevin Kolb is 29, and has never won a playoff game. Mark Sanchez is two years younger, and is completely unstoppable in the playoffs. Why wouldn't the Bills trade for him and support him?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Now all we need are those HOFers!
    Not really they are all in their 60's now..

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    I think that people are forgetting or failing to realize that Sanchez has NOT progressed AT ALL since his rookie year, and every year he says the same crap, studies with someone new, then looks like a total ASS on the field.
    The kid is done. He never was and he never will be.

We swung hard and hit a foul ball. What can you do
    I'm not a Sanchez supporter at this time, but you also have to be realistic in your assessment. We went to two AFC Championships with the kid, and he did win four games on the road. Quite impressive.

His talent pool declined in year three, and virtually all but disappeared in year 4. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady would have looked mediocre last year. Lets see what he can do behind a revamped running game and o-line. He only has one year left and if it doesn't work, he is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Dig deeper still, none of our opponents scored over 20 points in any of those wins. We won with our D. We even held a historically great Pats offense to a whopping 3 first half points. That was the same year they were generally up like 28-3 over most teams by halftime.
    You act like "winning on defense" wasn't the master plan.

Mark Sanchez was not drafted to be the next Dan Marino. When the whole team was clicking, he was one of our best players. When asked to throw 40 times a game it wasn't by design, it was an emergency, meant the D or the RB wasn't doing its job.

Since Rex Ryan is still here and since the D and G&P strategy is still here, Mark Sanchez can be successful again. We were never trying to be the Drew Brees Saints. We were trying to be the Shonn Greene Bart Scott Jets. Blame them, replace them, get the D and the RB going, Mark will do just fine.

SAR I

All League
    Terry Bradshaw was horrible first 5 or 6 yrs

All League
    I didn't see the above posts

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Terry Bradshaw was horrible first 5 or 6 yrs
    Wasn't that bad they won Bowls in his 5th and 6th year..

All League
    Amazing how impatient and intolerant we are at times.

I'm of the opinion that Sanchez quit in many games last year. I defended him up until very recently. He has to come out and become a QB we haven't seen on a consistent basis to make people shut up.

A revamped o-line will help significantly.
    I'm still defending him.

From a bad OC to a worse one, and from average talent around him to terrible talent around him, doesn't get old. It's real.

Alex Smith?

You mean the guy who was decent after his head coach completely redid the offense because he can't do anything that well outside of not lose you games?

Am I the only one who think San Fran absolutely cleaved the crap out of KC on that trade?

The bottom line is that the only answer is Doug Williams.

Eli won a Super Bowl in his fourth year, so that comparison is dumb.
    Plunkett was still bad but his team was loaded.
    Vinny and Young both played for arguably the worst team that this league will ever in have on those Bucs. So that can't really be held against them.
    Gannon was a fourth rounder, so the comparison isn't there.

But what NONE of these QB's have is that USC tag.

And from Marinovich to Rob Johnson to Palmer without Housh and Johnson (in their primes) to Leinart to Sanchez and now to Barkley, there's too much proof that Sanchez is what he will always be.

Which according to the body of work is less than Garrard immediately.

I would have no qualms watching them start Garrard and have Smith either watch this year or pick up the last 6 games of the year or something.

I like Garrard, honestly.

However, I would be very displeased as a Season ticket holder if they expect me to pay money to watch Sanchez again.

And that's really what this should be about. Any delusions of being a playoff team this year, with this roster and head coach, should be abandoned and nothing would make me happier than to never have to watch Mark Sanchez fail at playing QB for the Jets ever again.

I am not kidding when I say that my tickets are going up for sale for essentially every game he is starting. I am very done with watching even his terrible completions.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    You act like "winning on defense" wasn't the master plan.

Mark Sanchez was not drafted to be the next Dan Marino. When the whole team was clicking, he was one of our best players. When asked to throw 40 times a game it wasn't by design, it was an emergency, meant the D or the RB wasn't doing its job.

Since Rex Ryan is still here and since the D and G&P strategy is still here, Mark Sanchez can be successful again. We were never trying to be the Drew Brees Saints. We were trying to be the Shonn Greene Bart Scott Jets. Blame them, replace them, get the D and the RB going, Mark will do just fine.

SAR I
    People can argue that the Jets are constructed poorly to win in today's pass happy NFL. Unfortunately, while the Jets improved thru the draft, they are STILL not constructed as a pass oriented team. So... before throwing their new gunslinging toy named Geno into the fire without a solid TE or WR core and "ruining" him, take the hopefully upgraded line, faster defense, improved RB and a decent WCO offense and see if Sanchez can be the solid, not great, but solid QB we thought we drafted. D and G&P 2.0 As much as like the Geno pick, we don't have the personnel yet to be "Ryanair"

All League
    I know it's unpopular, but I wouldn't get rid of Sanchez so easily. He has been disgusting the last two seasons, no defending that. But he has performed very well in some huge games. That does count for something. And to say he didn't earn it or just along for the ride is idiotic iIMO

I want him part of the QB completion, and if he loses, so be it

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I'm still defending him.

From a bad OC to a worse one, and from average talent around him to terrible talent around him, doesn't get old. It's real.
    As frustrated as Sanchez made me last year it is true they never let him have any continuity with the offense.. I just hope other Jet fans can cut him a break if he starts this season..