Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Today's Cimini article from ESPN on Geno

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    lol...wut?
    Get out of baked beanland once in a while. You'll find that winter weather effects more than just a sad little strip of sandbar next to Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Good thing you believe every word.

"

Looks like a keeper, and we saved 12mil over if we had taken him at 13. Nice job Idzik. Can't wait for the season.
    OK, that is a very true statement. While Geno is getting bashed for firing his agents, it has been widely reported that his agents convinced him to skip the senior bowl which he wanted to play in. He could have further separated himself from his peers there and maybe guaranteed a Top 5 spot. Senior Bowl has become very important to draft position.

So you could make the argument that his agents potentially cost him $12 million dollars! How is it immature to fire his agents in that case?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    That's true for any college QB. If the issue is "he can't play in cold weather" it implies there are other "cold weather" qbs that are used to it. But, like you said, that's not really the case. In fact the only true "Cold weather" qb drafted in the top 10 since 2000 is Matt Ryan (Boston College). There was 1 from Oregon (Harrington), another from Oklahoma (Bradford), and another from West Virginia (Leftwich).

Of the 6 QBs that could have gone in the first 2 rounds, he's the closest thing to a Cold Weather QB

Ryan Nassib - Syracuse - Dome
    EJ Manuel - Florida St
    Matt Barkley - USC
    Mike Glennon - North Carolina St
    Tyler Wilson - Arkansas
    I can't believe the Bill's scouts didn't know EJ was from Florida. He probably like the warm weather...Wait a minute. I like warm weather too, and I'm not even from Florida. What a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    NYC Weather by month - Avg

Sep: 75/61
    Oct: 64/50
    Nov: 54/42
    Dec: 43/32
    Jan: 38/27

Morgantown WV Weather by month - Avg

Sep: 76/55
    Oct: 65/43
    Nov: 54/34
    Dec: 42/25
    Jan: 39/21

Well I'll be! My bad.

Also.....

Avg. Annual Snowfall - Morgantown, WV.

24.67 inches

Avg. Annual Snowfall - E. Rutherford, NJ.

18.07 inches

Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Get out of baked beanland once in a while. You'll find that winter weather effects more than just a sad little strip of sandbar next to Maine.
    Lol on 2 things.

1) Cape Cod's closer to a happy paradise than "a sad little strip of sandbar".

And

2) Maine's border is 120 miles away.

So admit it, you suck at geography as much as I suck at climatology.

To quote another immature Quarterback, Geno's response to this should be...

Last edited by MykePM; 05-03-2013 at 06:22 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Well I'll be! My bad.

Also.....

Avg. Annual Snowfall - Morgantown, WV.

24.67 inches

Avg. Annual Snowfall - E. Rutherford, NJ.

18.07 inches
    We can't all be expected to know where the States are, and we can't be expected to check our facts before we go talking down people. If Cimini can't do it. Why should you?

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    The character assassination of this guy is getting ridiculous. It would almost be funny if these people weren't damaging this guy's professional reputation.

It's going too far - he is being mentioned alongside Ryan Leaf, one of the biggest draft busts in NFL history, before he has even taken a single snap in rookie minicamp.

Journalists used to report the news. Now they want to create it - anything goes as long as they are first, and it sells papers or generates web hits.

I hope Geno uses all this as motivation to prove them all wrong.
    Coops,sad to say it but you are so spot on with this comment.In my line of work I encounter them every day and it's depressing.There are still some good ones but the younger generations are falling into this trap more and more

Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    Guys, take 5 minutes, go on newyourkjets.com and watch the geno smith interview. Or go on youtube and watch geno with Gruden.

This is a smart, humble, and dedicate guy who loves the game. A diva attitude is the last thing you see. Trent Dilfer runs a camp every year and he says Geno was the most prepared and dedicated guy there. This whole thing is bull ****. If anything, Geno is a bit of an introvert, so he can come off a little weird.
    That is how I feel. Geno is a creative type who was an artist growing up, I could definitely see him as a bit of an introvert.

Identify sources whenever feasible.

What is a credible, reliable source!!

Content from unreliable sources is not always true, or accurate. Solely reporting from unreliable sources diminishes the credibility of the writer and weakens the writer’s contention.

Source 1 “according to NFL talent evaluators”

Source 2 “according to a league source”

Source 3 “After falling out of the first round, the former West Virginia star threatened to leave the draft and go home.

Source 4 “an NFC scout said”

Source 5 “as first reported by Yahoo! Sports ”

Source 6 “A league source confirmed the report”

Source 7 “In fact, an official from one team”

Source 8 “according to a league source”

Source 9 “a source said.”

Source 10 NOT CITED BUT REPORTED BY NYJscout.com FIVE DAYS AGO "We've visited him, we went out to dinner with him, we brought him to New York, we went to his pro day, we've watched him play, we've been on his campus," general manager John Idzik said. "So we did our homework on Geno and we got a real good feel for him."
    Source 11 “he's not a student of the game ... and doesn't command respect from teammates." Cited to Pro Football Weekly as reported week before draft.

Source 12 “an AFC personnel executive said”

From the society of Professional Journalists:

“Identify sources whenever feasible. The public is entitled to as much information as possible on sources' reliability.”

“The duty of the journalist is to further those ends by seeking truth and providing a fair and comprehensive account of events and issues.”

“Test the accuracy of information from all sources and exercise care to avoid inadvertent error. Deliberate distortion is never permissible.”

Thumbs up

:
    I can't believe the Bill's scouts didn't know EJ was from Florida. He probably like the warm weather...Wait a minute. I like warm weather too, and I'm not even from Florida. What a mess.

This NFL.com article has an interesting (albeit obvious) theory about where the bad press for Geno is coming from. I guess there are enough reporters who will plant stories for agents in order to get future scoops (and/or front office people who will offer anonymous quotes to stay on the good side of agents who they'll have to negotiate with later).

Geno Smith under heavy 'scrutiny in league circles
    By Gregg Rosenthal

It's like the pre-draft process never ended for Geno Smith. Fresh off the New York Jets quarterback's decision to fire his agents, Smith continues to get picked apart nationally.

Yahoo! Sports wrote a long takedown of Smith on Wednesday that starts by saying the "quarterback is still under great scrutiny in league circles."

This wouldn't be the case if Smith was drafted by a team other than the New York Jets. This also wouldn't be the case if Smith's former agents didn't have an agenda.

The Yahoo! report reveals details of a private client dinner in New York last week during which Smith called his agents "family," saying they would stay together his entire career. Days later, after the draft-day free fall, Smith fired the agents. The agents responded by releasing a blame-shifting statement to the media Tuesday night.

Other information that did not paint Smith in a flattering light conveniently leaked out to reporters Tuesday and in the Yahoo! Sports article. Smith reportedly turned off some teams by spending too much time on his cellphone during visits rather than engaging with team officials.

"All these other players who were in there were talking to the coaches, trying to get to know people, and he was over there by himself. That's not what you want out of your quarterback," one unnamed source told Yahoo!.

A league executive in the piece questioned whether Smith knows how to take instruction and said that Smith has tuned out other voices "because he thinks he's got it all down."

Another anonymous source: "Right now, he's blaming everybody but himself, and he has some buddies around him who are telling him that same thing."

Some of the criticisms about Smith's leadership style -- and how that style affected his draft stock -- could have merit. But Smith made a business decision to fire his agents, and he's getting punished for it in petty, unprofessional ways.

Clearly, his former agents have a score to settle.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...league-circles

We can't all be expected to know where the States are, and we can't be expected to check our facts before we go talking down people. If Cimini can't do it. Why should you?
    Exactly! Thanks for your consideration.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotch View Post
    Personally I think that this is why Idzik fired our scouts.

Not only did they not realize that he frequently checks his cellular telephone, but they also failed to realize THAT HE'S FROM FLORIDA - AND PROBABLY LIKES WARM WEATHER BETTER THAN COLD WEATHER. Think of the implications this will have for football at Metlife in December!
    He played in the bad weather/snow of West Virginia. He is not a warm weather QB as you imply.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

NY media trying to end this kids career before it starts

Sad...pathetic reallly

Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    If his agents did not properly prepare him for a "job interview" type setting, then they deserve to be fired. Simple as that.
    and advised him not to play in the Senior bowl - sounds like a smart move...

Geno will have plenty of support from Jets fans unless feinsod is the new agent

He became a Jet on April 26th. Anything that happened before that date means nothing to me.

The whole agent thing is the business side of things and has no effect on my team.

Until this guy does something that negatively effects the team he plays for, anything that comes out is a non story in my eyes.

I hope he never forgets that it was idzik and rex that believed in him. When he has proven all these jerks wrong I hope he bleeds green.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Geno needs to keep quiet, memorize the playbook and show up to camp in the best shape he's ever been in. The scrutiny is just going to get more intense once camp starts.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotch View Post
    AND PROBABLY LIKES WARM WEATHER BETTER THAN COLD WEATHER.

LOL

Who doesn't?