Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: NFL field goal success rate

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Posts
    4,686
    Post Thanks / Like

    NFL field goal success rate

    Listening to NFL radio yesterday they were talking about how field goals are made at over 80%. I may be wrong on the actual number. Anyway the conversation was about how much more accurate the kickers are now than they were in the past.

    I was thinking should the NFL consider shrinking the width of the goal posts and make it more difficult to kick one?

  2. #2
    All League
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    4,993
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember reading somewhere that HOF-er Jan Stenerud isn't even in the top 100 all-time in FG accuracy.

    Tinkering with the goal posts is worth considering, I suppose. But if I could change one thing about the NFL kicking game, it would be to eliminate the asinine PAT kick.

  3. #3
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,224
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Listening to NFL radio yesterday they were talking about how field goals are made at over 80%. I may be wrong on the actual number. Anyway the conversation was about how much more accurate the kickers are now than they were in the past.

    I was thinking should the NFL consider shrinking the width of the goal posts and make it more difficult to kick one?
    Why? it's really a consolation prize. the goals used to be on the goal line..they moved them back about 35 years ago. Also, many years ago if you missed the FG, the other team received the ball on their own 20 . Those changes were put in place to reduce attempts. it worked.

    NOW..a missed FG results in the ball on the existing spot.

    Those 2 rule changes IMO were enough. The attempts now, have a higher probability because a LONG low percentage FG has higher risk and is less attempted. just my thought.

  4. #4
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know about that BUT....

    They should widen soccer nets by about 5 feet.

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,285
    Post Thanks / Like
    Many more indoor stadiums, and very few real grass fields. Even the few real grass fields are meticulously manicured. Not to mention a kicker's ball. WTF is that about!?

  6. #6
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Waxin
    Posts
    503
    Post Thanks / Like
    I kinda wish there was a way to eliminate kicking altogether.
    It sucks that so many games are decided by the foot of a guy who sucks at soccer and couldn't make the team.

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    18,624
    Post Thanks / Like
    They already addressed this with the overtime rules.

  8. #8
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bayonne, NJ
    Posts
    2,795
    Post Thanks / Like
    leave things the way they are.

  9. #9
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Posts
    34,641
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    I don't know about that BUT....

    They should widen soccer nets by about 5 feet.
    And add an Orange card...for something worse than yellow card worthy, but not quite deserving of a red card.

    Amirite?

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    9,387
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    And add an Orange card...for something worse than yellow card worthy, but not quite deserving of a red card.

    Amirite?
    Like slapping?

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,057
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Many more indoor stadiums, and very few real grass fields. Even the few real grass fields are meticulously manicured. Not to mention a kicker's ball. WTF is that about!?
    The domes are the big thing. Go from kicking outdoors with the Vikings to kicking in a dome. That's a massive change.

    The kicker's ball is harder to kick. It's newer, not used during the game, therefore has less rebound and doesn't go quite as far.

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Manhattan, NY
    Posts
    9,405
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is why I don't have any issues with changing the overtime rules. It's quite clear that the overtime rules for the nfl were set up in a time when 30-39 yard field goals were roughly equal to 50 field goals now. Essentially, teams are starting with the ball 20 yards closer because of improvement to kicking game.

  13. #13
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Posts
    16,002
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Listening to NFL radio yesterday they were talking about how field goals are made at over 80%. I may be wrong on the actual number. Anyway the conversation was about how much more accurate the kickers are now than they were in the past.

    I was thinking should the NFL consider shrinking the width of the goal posts and make it more difficult to kick one?
    Or having Offenses that can get 6, instead of settling for 3.

  14. #14
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    245
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Listening to NFL radio yesterday they were talking about how field goals are made at over 80%. I may be wrong on the actual number. Anyway the conversation was about how much more accurate the kickers are now than they were in the past.

    I was thinking should the NFL consider shrinking the width of the goal posts and make it more difficult to kick one?

    This reminds me of how Doug Brien was nearly 90% less than 40 yards and probably 50% or less for more than 40 yards, and idiot Herm decided to stop advancing the football and kick a long field goal against the Steelers in the playoffs.

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    6,817
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    I remember reading somewhere that HOF-er Jan Stenerud isn't even in the top 100 all-time in FG accuracy.

    Tinkering with the goal posts is worth considering, I suppose. But if I could change one thing about the NFL kicking game, it would be to eliminate the asinine PAT kick.
    I think it would be great for two separate sports that:
    a) they take about six inches OFF the goal posts
    b) ADD those six inches onto the current NHL hockey nets.

  16. #16
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,080
    Post Thanks / Like
    and they all seem to have a 95% conversion rate when playing against the Jets

  17. #17
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    510
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic Hip Screw View Post
    This reminds me of how Doug Brien was nearly 90% less than 40 yards and probably 50% or less for more than 40 yards, and idiot Herm decided to stop advancing the football and kick a long field goal against the Steelers in the playoffs.
    Wow. Did u have to remind me of that debacle. Then we draft a kicker in round 2 the next season. How stupid was that? Who was our GM - please dont tell me it was Bradway.

  18. #18
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    14,127
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    The domes are the big thing. Go from kicking outdoors with the Vikings to kicking in a dome. That's a massive change.

    The kicker's ball is harder to kick. It's newer, not used during the game, therefore has less rebound and doesn't go quite as far.
    And all the expansion teams seem to have been added to good weather sites or with domes.

  19. #19
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Manhattan, NY
    Posts
    9,405
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianNY View Post
    and they all seem to have a 95% conversion rate when playing against the Jets
    Except opponents against the Jets were 31st in the league in Field Goal %. You might be thinking of 2011 when teams were 29/30 against the Jets, including 5/6 beyond 50.

  20. #20
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    14,127
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianNY View Post
    and they all seem to have a 95% conversion rate when playing against the Jets
    SOJF sees everything that way

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us