Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would make the Jets draft a QB next year?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

What would make the Jets draft a QB next year?

I know Geno hasnt even taken the field so dont go there. I know most people think Sanchez sucks so dont go there. All Im asking is, what would make the Jets say "HOLY SHEET what we got wont cut it!" and draft another QB next year? Does Geno get 2-3 years no matter what? Does Sanchez get MORE time if he shows improvement? Im not sold on ANY of the QBs at this point.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think there is a better than 90% chance that the Jets draft a QB next year!

Simple math: Garrard is old and Sanchez will be released by then.

The question is whether Geno looks good (late pick) or not (early pick).

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know but unless Geno has an RG3/Luck/Wilson type season in terms of effectiveness and growth (not necessarily stats) I would consider taking one high again. I am at the point where I think we should take one every year until we find one.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I don't know but unless Geno has an RG3/Luck/Wilson type season in terms of effectiveness and growth (not necessarily stats) I would consider taking one high again. I am at the point where I think we should take one every year until we find one.
    Total Agreement.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im right about here, but if Sanchez wins the starting job and Smith has limited to zero snaps I dont think they draft a QB next year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tedward Bridgewater.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Tedward Bridgewater.
    Yup. This is the only way I see us drafting a QB next year .. To me we won't be bad enough to get him though.. Genos the guy

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Life View Post
    Yup. This is the only way I see us drafting a QB next year .. To me we won't be bad enough to get him though.. Genos the guy
    Jets won't draft young 'water because they won't be the #1 overall.

Funny to me to hear everyone assuming Clowney will be the #1 pick. Basically shows the limited comprehension ability of most experts; if jadaveon n teddy have the same stats this year as last, Teddy is going #1.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets will win 8-10 games this year as long as they don't have that 26 turnover abomination Sanchez starting. All the supposed great QB's that some dolts said we should wait to draft will be gone at that point.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenGeek View Post
    I think there is a better than 90% chance that the Jets draft a QB next year!

The question is whether Geno looks good (late pick) or not (early pick).
    Based on what we learned about Idzik this year, it may depend on how the draft unfolds next year, BPA seems to be his mantra

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    the jets draft a qb if they get a top 5 pick by sucking so bad.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    They will draft a QB if they feel they can get one at a value they find reasonable. That's either BPA, or if they feel they can move up for a value that they've placed on the player. Seems like Idzik will stick to this formula. I don't think it matters how well Geno does, unless he blows everyone away which I don't think is likely in his first year. I think it would have more to do with how well the player does next year, and in his workouts, and interviews.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

A pitiful 2013 season.

Guess we'll be drafting one !

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Jets won't draft young 'water because they won't be the #1 overall.

Funny to me to hear everyone assuming Clowney will be the #1 pick. Basically shows the limited comprehension ability of most experts; if jadaveon n teddy have the same stats this year as last, Teddy is going #1.
    Yeah well what if the Bills are the #1 team next year? They just burnt a top 20 pick on a QB they obviously love (given the fact they reached on him so badly), even if he has a bad year I doubt they will take another first rounder.

That is pretty much the only situation I can think of because no other QBs were drafted in this year's first round.

I think the only way we don't draft a QB like Taj or Teddy is if we are not in position, or if Geno has an EXPLOSIVE rookie campaign. otherwise, the fact we took him with a second rounder makes it exponentially easier to draft another QB.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PocketJet View Post

A pitiful 2013 season.

Guess we'll be drafting one !
    Even since Brady has been the Pats QB it didn't stop them from drafting qb's.. They have drated 7 since 2002 the Jets 6 in the same time frame.. Hell in 1965 we took Namath with the first pick and the Heisman winner Huarte in the 2nd..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    We will definitely draft QB next year. How high probably depends on Geno. I was surprised we didn't draft another QB this year.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Getting Geno with that 2nd rounder is probably the best thing that could of happened to us.

1) If he ends up being great, which I'm hoping he does then it's the steal of the draft hands down

2) If he ends up sucking then it's not a big deal for us to draft a "sure thing" QB in the 1st round next year and bench Geno.

I look at what Carolina did a few years back. They had an old QB (Delhomme) and drafted Jimmy Clausen in the 2nd round. Clausen sucked so they drafted Cam the very next year. No harm no foul.

Our old QB is Garrard, we draft Geno in the 2nd round this year, if he sucks we draft a guy like Johnny Football or whatever QB becomes the "sure thing" guy next year.

The way I see it, it's a win-win for us. The problem with the idea of playing Sanchez all year is that we'll never get a feel for what Geno can do.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    10000000%

If Geno starts the season and plays well and the Jets make the playoffs because of his play (not in spite of his play), then I think the team will stand pat and NOT draft a QB.
    If Geno does not start or only plays a few games because he's not ready for prime time, then they will draft another QB in rd1. Garrard/McElroy/Simms will be gone by the end of training camp next yr, Sanchez will be the 'veteran backup', and Geno & new QB will 'compete' for the starting spot.

Ted
    Last edited by tedtedthefootballhead; 05-04-2013 at 05:34 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Injuries to Geno and Garrard.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 113 View Post
    I look at what Carolina did a few years back. They had an old QB (Delhomme) and drafted Jimmy Clausen in the 2nd round. Clausen sucked so they drafted Cam the very next year. No harm no foul.
    Exactly. Geno would have to suck so badly that Teddy Bridgewater / Manziel / whoever is the smart pick.