Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Rational View Of The Smith Assassination Squad

A Rational View Of The Smith Assassination Squad

http://deadspin.com/the-geno-smith-s...r-hi-489603347

The Geno Smith Smear Campaign Is Turning Into Junior-High Gossip
    It's been nearly a week since the Jets selected Geno Smith in the second round of the draft. I bet it's been a sleepy seven days for him, as it would be for any other quarterback who joined the Jets. Let's check today's press clippings:

At least one quarterback-needy team in the top 10 passed on him because of the diva attitude he displayed in a pre-draft visit, according to a league source.

After falling out of the first round, the former West Virginia star threatened to leave the draft and go home. He dropped to the second round and responded by firing his agents, sparking another firestorm of criticism.

"He's going to have a tough time in New York," an NFC scout said, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "Right now, he's coming off as a spoiled, pampered brat."

Let's pause here to note this: An NFL scout—who is tasked with watching tape and timing 40-yard dashes and measuring 22-year-olds' arms to determine their future potential—is delivering the same assessment of Geno Smith because he fired his agents and thought about leaving New York after a particularly upsetting night. (Please: one who has never thought about leaving New York after a particularly upsetting night has never really been to New York.) Good work, guy. Moving on.

Leading into the draft, word spread that Smith was preoccupied with his cell phone during pre-draft visits, texting friends and checking Twitter during meetings with team officials, as first reported by Yahoo! Sports. ...

A league source confirmed the report. In fact, an official from one team — not a team that visited with Smith — said the cell-phone episode was mentioned and discussed in its draft room while evaluating Smith.

You got that? Competing NFL teams were apparently so spellbound by Smith's cellphone-related aloofness that they had to call each other and talk about it. Scouting reports and interviews are secret, except this one.

Surely the Jets did not get that call. If they had, they would have stayed miles and miles away from Smith, the scoundrel who dared check his phone during long interviews with sweaty, bellowing, inarticulate men. Maybe they misfiled something in the computer system and assumed they had drafted a leader, one who could marshal his superior physical gifts and mental dexterity into football success. Maybe they were reading these scouting reports:

Is regarded as an excellent leader who takes command of the team and leaves no doubt he's in charge. Shows maturity, confidence and intelligence.

Ascending talent whose intangibles for the position are just as impressive as his physical tools. Cerebral player. ... Team captain. Blue-collar work ethic...

An outstanding competitor and has been his whole life. ... He is a tremendous team player who does a great job of leading his teammates and keeping everyone involved. Mental game is outstanding; he prepares well and reads defenses exceptionally.

In other words, the 2009 scouting reports for Mark Sanchez. Who ranked 36th out of 36 quarterbacks in Total QBR in 2012. Something tells me Geno Smith will be just fine.

This guy pretty much nails it. The problem with the reporting is not so much that the writers have used anonymous sources -- it's how they use anonymous sources. With most newspapers, anonymous sources are vital for getting information that normally is unavailable through named sources. But they generally have rules on how they're used. One of the common rules is that you never use an anonymous source just for the purpose of criticizing someone--they need to bring valuable information to the table. This rule is actually stretched to the limits in sports reporting, which is generally regarded as quasi-gossip reporting.

But the Cimini story is, in my opinion, a totally unethical use of anonymous sources. He not only quoted a scout for the soul purpose of extracting a criticism of Geno Smith out of it, but he also used the scout's personal reaction to the Yahoo! story and wrote a headline that passed it off as the scout's "professional" opinion. If he had used the scout's opinion based on his scouting of Smith, that would have been fine since it would have been based on his professional judgment. But that is not the case in the story. If you check Google, there are at least a dozen stories written on various sports news Websites that have repeated as fact that an NFC scout considers Smith a pampered brat -- even though it was just one person's opinion based on one story.
    Last edited by BroadwayRay; 05-05-2013 at 10:37 AM.

I hope this kid is humble and proves everyone wrong. That being said.... Constantly texting during a job interview is beyond immature ... It's offensive, arrogant and shows a complete lack of respect for the party conducting the interview. It shows a complete lack of judgement.
    Last edited by Dunnie; 05-05-2013 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    I hope this kid is humble and proves everyone wrong. That being said.... Constantly texting during a job interview is beyond immature ... It's borderline mentally impaired.
    I'm just curious... Have you *actually* watched the Gruden Camp vid with him?
    Have you seen any interviews where he is talking about football?!

Or are you just going on false gossip that DICK CIMINI made up with the help of some idiot in BUFFALO???

Not trying to be a prick at all... I would just be surprised if you saw it and still thought he was immature, or a spoiled brat.
    Last edited by Hitman Harris; 05-05-2013 at 11:25 AM.

At this point all this Geno Smith stuff is going in 1 ear and out the other. I'm bored with it and really just don't care. It means nothing.

I hope this kid is humble and proves everyone wrong. That being said.... Constantly texting during a job interview is beyond immature ... It's borderline mentally impaired.
    That is stupid, but I'm trying to reserve judgment and hoping this is just being overblown. All young people do is text and twiddle with their mobile devices. ****, corporate types, too. Walk into an Applebee's or a mall or a conference room at a large company and basically half of the room will be twiddling with their mobile devices at a given time.

Regarding firing the agent, I actually like that move. You're paying someone to represent you, you're disappointed with the results and think they didn't do a good enough job, so you make a quick change. I like it. If we see him cycle through several quickly or some other alarming pattern, that's a different story. But with an n of 1, I'm not alarmed yet.

All that said, I know nothing about young Geno. He could be a maniac for all I know. I'm just saying I'm wondering if and hoping that this is being overblown, and I'm rooting for the young gentleman.

Lets hope he learns from this

plummeted in draft and getting skewered in the press daily- i'd say he's gotten a good dose of humble pie. Also, with the slide he's also only going to make 5mill or so over 4 years instead of 4 mill annually. If all this doesn't get his attention then nothing will. If this guy has any real character than this will be good for him over the longer term. Time will tell. No idea about Geno but on paper he looks good enough to succeed in the NFL

I think the risk/return on Geno is great. If he doesn't work out take a new QB next year and then every year after until we get it right. We cant win without a decent QB.

All Pro
    You know taking a statement from an unknown source, that he was on his phone(with no context as to where or when this was), and extrapolating that to imply that he's mentally impaired, is a little disconcerting in, and of itself. Is someone there to look after you?

I'm not sure I buy the fact that it happened at all. We have no details at all of what really happened--just a few sentences from one anonymous source who may or may not be Smith's jilted agent or an NFL friend of said agent. Even if we assume he did fiddle with his phone during an interview, we don't have any context. Maybe there was something going in his life at that time where he was glued to the phone. Maybe the team he was visiting pissed him off in some way. Maybe he was just having a bad day. Who the hell knows.

I'm not saying the report should be dismissed completely. But I don't think it should be accepted as fact, either.

Sure it is, but it's likely entirely false or at best an immense exaggeration.

To believe that as fact is, well, borderline ...

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    You know taking a statement from an unknown source, that he was on his phone(with no context as to where or when this was), and extrapolating that to imply that he's mentally impaired, is a little disconcerting in, and of itself. Is someone there to look after you?
    You know what ... You are correct ... I should have found a better alliteration. It was not my intention to belittle anyone that is mentally challenged .. If I did , I apologize. Editing original post now.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    If it was in the Green room it may have been a text telling his Mom to forget the big new house he promised her..

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Sure it is, but it's likely entirely false or at best an immense exaggeration.

To believe that as fact is, well, borderline ...
    Yes, because it's a well known fact that NFL executives have nothing better to do but make stuff up about candidates they've interviewed and go tattle to the press about what they've made up. He dropped precipitously in the draft and there's obviously a reason - where there's smoke there's fire.

Hall Of Fame
    Kid has yet to play a down and he already has apologists.

If he was dumb enough to even let his phone buzz or ring during an interview then that is a problem. When these players visit these teams every single move they make and interaction is analyzed. That is 100% Geno's fault.

And I can't blame that on his handlers b.c that is basic common sense. You are on the most important job interview of your life and you let that happen. I know we live in an increasingly impersonal world where courtesy and professionalism are dying but I do not think the teams are nitpicking if they made a big deal about this. Kids these days.....

First impressions count a lot. I am sure Mark made an excellent first impression which may have helped the Jets look past his shortcomings. Perhaps Geno made a bad first impression with a team that made them focus on the negatives. It works both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

If he was dumb enough to even let his phone buzz or ring during an interview then that is a problem. When these players visit these teams every single move they make and interaction is analyzed. That is 100% Geno's fault.

And I can't blame that on his handlers b.c that is basic common sense. You are on the most important job interview of your life and you let that happen. I know we live in an increasingly impersonal world where courtesy and professionalism are dying but I do not think the teams are nitpicking if they made a big deal about this. Kids these days.....

First impressions count a lot. I am sure Mark made an excellent first impression which may have helped the Jets look past his shortcomings. Perhaps Geno made a bad first impression with a team that made them focus on the negatives. It works both ways.
    I'm certainly not an apologist for anybody... I just hope the kid can play as well as I think he can from what I've seen.
    Seems very smart and humble to me... And he sure does talk (and produced in college) like he can read a Defense- something Mark CANNOT do.
    I think Garrard can be good and don't see Mark beating him out for the starting spot. Geno? I have no clue how he'll play but I know I'm not the only one who doesn't believe a damn word the media has to say! Especially with the 180 they pulled the second he was drafted by the JETS

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

You're basing your assessments on hearsay and a ****ing smear campaign led by his ex-agents. Get a grip.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    I'm certainly not an apologist for anybody... I just hope the kid can play as well as I think he can from what I've seen.
    Seems very smart and humble to me... And he sure does talk (and produced in college) like he can read a Defense- something Mark CANNOT do.
    I think Garrard can be good and don't see Mark beating him out for the starting spot. Geno? I have no clue how he'll play but I know I'm not the only one who doesn't believe a damn word the media has to say! Especially with the 180 they pulled the second he was drafted by the JETS
    I agree with everything you said.

I just think that if he was in fact on his phone during interviews then he deserves all the criticism he is getting for that. That is an incredibly stupid thing to do. And I can see why some teams would question where his head is at after seeing something like that happen.

Maybe someone here that has interviewed and hired people before can chime in on if something like this has ever happened to them and how they handled it. Then you have to multiply that by 100 b.c in the NFL your job is basically dependent on the people you hire. I can't blame GMs or scouts for getting turned off by that.

If you make a bad first impression like that then that will cause teams to look at every single blemish you have with a microscope. If Geno did what the reports said he did then he opened the door for such criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsman51 View Post
    You're basing your assessments on hearsay and a ****ing smear campaign led by his ex-agents. Get a grip.
    Exactly.

If there was even ONE named source I would be more than inclined to believe it.

There are plenty of names sources, people that have met and spent time with him - that can't say enough good things about him.

Who are we to believe, a hack journalist with unnamed sources or a multiple "real" people?
    Last edited by fidelioion; 05-05-2013 at 12:05 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsman51 View Post
    Lets just agree that there is less factual basis for what you just said than there is for what has been reported. And I did use the word "if".

Gun to my head, I don't think these stories are made up. The team officials don't give a sh*t if he is black or white. They want the best players. Their jobs are at stake. I don't see a reason to make sh*t like this up.

Also, some of these rumors came out before the draft so that pretty much debunks your theory about it coming from his ex-agents.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Exactly.

If there was even ONE named source I would be more than included to believe it.

There are plenty of names sources, people that have met and spent time with him - that can say enough good things about him.

Who are we to believe, a hack journalist with unnamed sources or a multiple "real" people?
    You're right. But it only had to happen with ONE team. Nobody said this happened on every interview. So unless every team has gone on the record then ....

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Yes, because it's a well known fact that NFL executives have nothing better to do but make stuff up about candidates they've interviewed and go tattle to the press about what they've made up. He dropped precipitously in the draft and there's obviously a reason - where there's smoke there's fire.
    Who said it was an executive? They said he was on his phone during the time he was there(where we don't know). They didn't say he was in a meeting room, or while someone was taking to him. They certainly didn't say it was constant. We don't know who said it, or when, or why. Sounds like someone that he may have ignored, or not noticed. You don't like him I get it, but you are letting that cloud your judgement here. Maybe the same as the unnamed source.