Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A nice article about Geno (written before the 5 losses)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wvjet View Post
    I watched every game. WVU's O line was horrendous. Opposing teams could tell if the play was a run or a pass by the way the right tackle lined up.
    Wayne Hunter played on the WVU squad last year? Oh Noooooos..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wvjet View Post
    I watched every game. WVU's O line was horrendous. Opposing teams could tell if the play was a run or a pass by the way the right tackle lined up.
    That is not uncommon. Especially in the spread offenses.

It can happen in the NFL too. For years I could tell if it was a run play b.c Martin would line up 7 yards deep. On a pass he would be closer. He isn't the only RB that did that. But I digress...

What is the prevailing thought as to why WVU went into a mid-season slide? I know the defense struggled and you guys lost a couple of close shootouts but the three games I watched Geno (@ TT, KSU, bowl game) he really struggled. Seemed to me like Geno let things snowball in those games, especially the regular season ones. Almost Sanchez-like.

We need a kid who can handle adversity. If he isn't headstrong he will never make it here. I am not talking smarts, I am talking spine. Now you have watched him more than anyone here. Does he have the backbone to make it here?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think "a punk that can't ball." is the technical term for him. I think that scouts are used to having their asses kissed, and maybe he was not intimidated by them. Maybe he should have acted like he was, but maybe he was trying and he's not a good actor. I've seen people act weird when they're trying to figure out how someone wants them to act. Think of a guy that's no good with girls, and acts like a jerk because he's trying too hard. Just a thought. You can't tell me race has nothing to do with it since most of the black QBs are critiqued similarly. Maybe it's the way they act that's being misinterpreted, but there has to be something to it. I'm not sure what role humility plays in a successful NFL QB anyway to tell you the truth. I kind of want my QB to think he's smarter than the scouts. If he won't listen to the QB coach, or the OC it's on them for not making him buy into their system. Then we have trouble. I know smart people that are aloof until someone smarter than them starts talking. I sure hope our new coaches can impress the players more than our old ones did.

From watching the film it sure does seem as though he cares, and is working to improve. If he thinks he knows it all, and he's uncoachable then did he teach himself to play QB? With those stats? He's no leader, but he ran a very complicated timing based offensive system, and kept everyone on the same page? How did he do that?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    I think "a punk that can't ball." is the technical term for him. I think that scouts are used to having their asses kissed, and maybe he was not intimidated by them. Maybe he should have acted like he was, but maybe he was trying and he's not a good actor. I've seen people act weird when they're trying to figure out how someone wants them to act. Think of a guy that's no good with girls, and acts like a jerk because he's trying too hard. Just a thought. You can't tell me race has nothing to do with it since most of the black QBs are critiqued similarly. Maybe it's the way they act that's being misinterpreted, but there has to be something to it. I'm not sure what role humility plays in a successful NFL QB anyway to tell you the truth. I kind of want my QB to think he's smarter than the scouts. If he won't listen to the QB coach, or the OC it's on them for not making him buy into their system. Then we have trouble. I know smart people that are aloof until someone smarter than them starts talking. I sure hope our new coaches can impress the players more than our old ones did.

From watching the film it sure does seem as though he cares, and is working to improve. If he thinks he knows it all, and he's uncoachable then did he teach himself to play QB? With those stats? He's no leader, but he ran a very complicated timing based offensive system, and kept everyone on the same page? How did he do that?
    Very nice and intelligent post!!!

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    That is not uncommon. Especially in the spread offenses.

It can happen in the NFL too. For years I could tell if it was a run play b.c Martin would line up 7 yards deep. On a pass he would be closer. He isn't the only RB that did that. But I digress...

What is the prevailing thought as to why WVU went into a mid-season slide? I know the defense struggled and you guys lost a couple of close shootouts but the three games I watched Geno (@ TT, KSU, bowl game) he really struggled. Seemed to me like Geno let things snowball in those games, especially the regular season ones. Almost Sanchez-like.

We need a kid who can handle adversity. If he isn't headstrong he will never make it here. I am not talking smarts, I am talking spine. Now you have watched him more than anyone here. Does he have the backbone to make it here?
    I can't answer that with any degree of certainty about ANY rookie QB. It's a crap shoot. I do know that he has great potential.
    The 3 games you watched were the worst of his career. He played well in the TCU and Oklahoma losses....that was entirely the D's fault.

He does seem to be an introvert at times....but I've never seen him sulk like Sanchez does.

I've really like the kid since his Freshman year....I've always felt that with the right coaching he could be great. He is the only WVU QB that I have seen that I have thought that highly of...and I started watching when Ollie Luck played. I think he will surprise a lot of Jets fans.