Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A nice article about Geno (written before the 5 losses)

Undrafted Free Agent

A nice article about Geno (written before the 5 losses)

I'm very hopeful that the intellectually "gifted" part of Geno that this article embraces translates onto the football field. Being intelligent as a QB is extremely important. One clearly needs football IQ and instincts, but an intelligent person has an advantage in their ability to memorize a playbook, read coverages, recognize who will be the open receiver before the play, or make appropriate changes at the line of scrimmage.

Pennington was capable of these things, he just didn't have the physical attributes to go with it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Amazing how a few losses cause a guy to go from gifted to goon!!!

Good Grief!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Amazing how a few losses cause a guy to go from gifted to goon!!!

Good Grief!!!
    Close but...

Amazing how being drafted by the NYJ can cause a guy to go from gifted to goon.

Jets Insider VIP
    but wadeasekund....wadeasekund....wadeasekund...

schmuck99 says he's a bust.... he heard it on WFAN just today, too... so it's confirmed

I think we got really fortunate that WV finished last season like they did. If they had finished like they started, Geno would have gone in the top 5. We got the steal of the draft. I am really excited for camp to open.

Quote Originally Posted by GandWFan View Post
    I think we got really fortunate that WV finished last season like they did. If they had finished like they started, Geno would have gone in the top 5. We got the steal of the draft. I am really excited for camp to open.
    So true.they fell apart because they had no defense, if geno was playing alongside bamas defense they end up winning a national title and geno goes top 2.

All Pro
    Thanks for posting. Its nice to read a positive piece for a change after the barrage of negative bullsh*t that has emerged over the last week.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    Thanks for posting. Its nice to read a positive piece for a change after the barrage of negative bullsh*t that has emerged over the last week.
    That is exactly why I dug this article up. Of course, our local papers in WV all love Geno....but this is the NY Times. He's a good kid that's never had character issues or attitude problems. His defense cost him a Heisman and millions of dollars....but he never once called them out.

He just needs to show up and play his heart out. I think he will

If you reverse the beginning and end of last season for Geno last year he is the #1 pick. No one is discussing at all how horrible the OL was for him.

Quote Originally Posted by GandWFan View Post
    100% Agreed! NFL scouts and media guys are so fickle. I know the cliche about "winning cures all" but there is something to be said for just objectively looking at if a player can play football. Hell, Tebow, McElroy, Sanchez were all winners but they can't play QB in the NFL.

I remember a few years ago Colin Cowherd (whom I often don't like) actually made a really smart point. He said that QBs from big winning programs almost always fail at the NFL level nowadays. On the flipside, it's QBs who are from poor or mediocre programs that seem to excel. He attributed it to QBs from bad programs having to play through adversity which makes them better at doing things like reading coverage, forcing them to be more accurate and careful with the football, etc...

That's not to say WVU is a poor program, it's not, but it's certainly not top-tier in my eyes. And Geno played all 4 years, starting 3 of them. And if you look at his entire college stats the only thing about last year that was an anomaly were the TDs, and completion percentage that ticked up from 65% (very good by any standard measure) to an astronomical 71%.

His interceptions remained low his entire college career averaging less than 7/year for his final 3 seasons. The final losses at WVU mean nothing to me, so many variables go into that.

Great article. He will prove the haters wrong

Undrafted Free Agent
    I watched every game. WVU's O line was horrendous. Opposing teams could tell if the play was a run or a pass by the way the right tackle lined up.

Jets Insider VIP
    Thanks for the terrific article wvjet

Maybe you should contact espn about replacing clueless sh--t stirrer Dick Semen-I or the NY Daily News about replacing hideous Makingitup Mehta as the Jets beat writer

I don't get how you score "gifted" but a 25 on the Wonderlic????

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    I don't get how you score "gifted" but a 25 on the Wonderlic????
    I'm not sure how they score that test, but I think he did ok on it. It was Tavon Austin that scored poorly on it.

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Thanks for the terrific article wvjet

Maybe you should contact espn about replacing clueless sh--t stirrer Dick Semen-I or the NY Daily News about replacing hideous Makingitup Mehta as the Jets beat writer

Jets Insider VIP
    Happy early Sunday, Dunnie

We are (almost) ALL Jet fans here at JI

Jet Fans United

GO JETS

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Happy early Sunday, Dunnie

We are (almost) ALL Jet fans here at JI

Jet Fans United

GO JETS
    ... Freaking insomnia sucks

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    ... Freaking insomnia sucks
    wait until you reach my age --- god willing.

Seriously though, sleep is vastly overrated