Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gil Brandt and Amani toomer talk about geno smith on Sirius nfl radio

Gil Brandt and Amani toomer talk about geno smith on Sirius nfl radio

I was driving in my car earlier today and Gil Brandt and Amani toomer were talking about all of the bad things that are being said about geno smith. Both of them were stunned by the way people are talking about him. It happens that both toomer and Brandt spent time with geno smith before the draft and neither one of them saw any of the bad qualities that people are saying abut him and both of them liked him a lot.

So when the conversation ended Amani finally said to Gil that he just couldn't really see geno in the light that hes being portrayed. Gil answered back that maybe it was because the both of them had actually met and spent time with geno unlike many writers who have wrote articles about him without ever meeting or speaking to him. They both seemed genuinely baffled by the bad media surrounding him and the thoughts on his personality.

Jets Insider VIP
    The media, especially the NY media, are a bunch of hacks who sacrifice journalistic inegrity for salacious headlines. Then the national media jumps on the story like flies on sh!t.

Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    The media, especially the NY media, are a bunch of hacks who sacrifice journalistic inegrity for salacious headlines. Then the national media jumps on the story like flies on sh!t.
    Well said.

Seriously, you'd think the greatest city in the world (yeah what's up) would have some of the better journalists out there. Instead they're a bunch of dramatic 5 year olds who have nothing better to do than craft salacious headlines out of nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by Vegi5894 View Post
    Seriously, you'd think the greatest city in the world (yeah what's up) would have some of the better journalists out there. Instead they're a bunch of dramatic 5 year olds who have nothing better to do than craft salacious headlines out of nothing!
    For many of these hacks its just about drawing attention to themselves with the hope that their writing style and willingness to do anything will lead to greater career opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by jetlifer View Post
    For many of these hacks its just about drawing attention to themselves with the hope that their writing style and willingness to do anything will lead to greater career opportunities.
    You know it's bad when Rich Cimini is one of the most reputable journalists in the city

If i had the ability id photoshop clown faces on a picture of all the journalists who cover the Jets. Thats the real circus.

I have been saying this for the past 2 years. Yes, the ills on the field has caused this media sh!t storm. But the yellow journalism displayed by the media in its coverage of the Jets is disgusting.

You know it's bad when Rich Cimini is one of the most reputable journalists in the city
    Please. This scum bag has now set his sights on Geno. What Dick is doing to this young kid is unacceptable and he should be called out for it. While I had a very busy week and was not able to post during the week, nor have I caught up on all the articles, I saw something on PFT sourcing Dick's ESPN.com article on Geno. He is helping to spread the sh!t strom swirling around Geno now. The Jets org should blacklist this prick making it difficult for him to get any stories.

All League
    blame it on the media is always the easiest way to go when someone doesn't like the message. Gil Brandt and Amani Toomer should have criticized the front office execs for other teams who are smearing this guy. Jets fans should do the same. It's not the reporters fault that people are saying this stuff, or that they don't have the courage to put their names to it. If there were front office execs saying great things about Geno none of you guys would be criticizing the reporter who wrote an article about it.

All League
    I've seen plenty of atrocious journalism from Jets beat writers (and many others, for that matter). Cimini calling Ellis a "druggie" a couple of years ago was disgraceful. but that's not the case here...people are saying bad **** about Geno, and reporters are merely relaying what's being said -- as they should.

Hall Of Fame
    I hate the "race-card" but there is an element of racism in terms of QB... How on earth did Mayock have Cam Newton as the third best QB going into the draft that year.

Quote Originally Posted by jetssjumets View Post
    Please. This scum bag has now set his sights on Geno. What Dick is doing to this young kid is unacceptable and he should be called out for it. While I had a very busy week and was not able to post during the week, nor have I caught up on all the articles, I saw something on PFT sourcing Dick's ESPN.com article on Geno. He is helping to spread the sh!t strom swirling around Geno now. The Jets org should blacklist this prick making it difficult for him to get any stories.
    Yep, I love how everyone is coming out saying Geno's immature, he's not a student of the game, etc. when it couldn't be farther from the truth. He's an incredible student, I even heard a story where he stayed in after a huge win when everyone was going out and partying. He stayed in, ordered a pizza and watched film.

If you watch Gruden's QB camp with the kid, you KNOW he's a student of the game and takes it very seriously. He's a baller (as in he plays to win, not that he's going to be sick), I could care less what the media thinks of him.

Quote Originally Posted by gaffneycatch View Post
    I've seen plenty of atrocious journalism from Jets beat writers (and many others, for that matter). Cimini calling Ellis a "druggie" a couple of years ago was disgraceful. but that's not the case here...people are saying bad **** about Geno, and reporters are merely relaying what's being said -- as they should.
    I agree with that to a degree, but saying he isn't a student of the game is ridiculous and incorrect.

There's also the fact that *it seems* as though if any other team in the league drafted this kid in the SECOND round, all they'd be doing would be talking about how great the value was. Instead bc it was the Jets, it's another circus story.

I'll admit I'm probably being over-sensitive to this, but I'm also tired of it. I genuinely believe that the longer Idzik is here the less prevalent these stories will be.

Succinctly put and completely correct. The reporters and journalists are on constant pressure to put out some sort of story, and when there is nothing going on they have to nit-pick things to get an angle.

Same thing happens in politics. It's unfortunate but that's the nature of the media beast.

I for one am much more interested in articles that examine the details of the QBs and how Geno will/can fit into the Mornhinweg west coast offense. Credible articles like that are a lot harder to come by. It's often guys on Bleacher Report that offer this type of material to consume, but obviously Bleacher isn't credible at all.

Hall Of Fame
    Yep, I love how everyone is coming out saying Geno's immature, he's not a student of the game, etc. when it couldn't be farther from the truth. He's an incredible student, I even heard a story where he stayed in after a huge win when everyone was going out and partying. He stayed in, ordered a pizza and watched film.

If you watch Gruden's QB camp with the kid, you KNOW he's a student of the game and takes it very seriously. He's a baller (as in he plays to win, not that he's going to be sick), I could care less what the media thinks of him.
    Both of these are spot on.
    I'm hoping Geno can weather their bullshat storm and come out with a vengeance.
    He knows more about football than Sanchez. If you watch the Gruden Camp video it's CLEAR AS DAY!
    They are turning the chip on his shoulder into a BOLDER.
    Anyone thinking the kid isn't going to be working his ASS off to be LIGHTS OUT is fooling themselves, and just making up garbage to get attention.

Any coicidence these so called unnamed sources came out after he fired his agents? Glad to see Geno and the Jets have not repsonded to this dribble. Welcome to the Jets pal, once you wear the green, you have a target on your back. Us against the world

Yesterday's Cimini story about Smith is a perfect example of this.

Here is the headline to the story:

Scout: Jets' Smith 'spoiled, pampered brat'

Anyone reading that headline is going to clearly think that a scout had studied Smith as part of the, um, scouting process, and concluded that he was a spoiled, pampered brat.

But then you read the story, and here's what the scout said:

"He's going to have a tough time in New York," an NFC scout said, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "Right now, he's coming off as a spoiled, pampered brat."

So here we find that there's no indication that the scout had any special insight into Smith. He was just reacting to all the stories that were put out after the draft--including stories by Cimini!--just like any other person. The fact he is a scout is inconsequential to the story.

What makes this even more hilarious is that the scout was not basing his comments on his actual experiences with Smith, but on a series of stories where reporters just piggybacked each other citing the same handful of sources one after the other. I'm even being generous when I say "handful." For all we know, all these venomous comments about Smith are coming from the same two people.

Quote Originally Posted by gaffneycatch View Post
    blame it on the media is always the easiest way to go when someone doesn't like the message. Gil Brandt and Amani Toomer should have criticized the front office execs for other teams who are smearing this guy. Jets fans should do the same. It's not the reporters fault that people are saying this stuff, or that they don't have the courage to put their names to it. If there were front office execs saying great things about Geno none of you guys would be criticizing the reporter who wrote an article about it.
    Honestly, no offense, but this is one of the most ridiculous aspects of "sports journalism", and I find it so naive to buy into it.

You know what, it IS their fault that they're reporting it.

What if their unnamed source was a drunk guy at the bar?
    What if their unnamed source is themselves?
    Hey if they paid me, I could be their unnamed source.

I don't believe that there is any law that requires any level of honesty when it comes to reporting.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Fox News won a court ruling that said that it's ok to lie or to misinform the public, and they're protected under Freedom of Speech. So I don't think the papers would be any different.

The purpose of these articles in these tabloid newspapers is not to tell the news, it's to make money, and trash sells. You're fooling yourself if you believe otherwise.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayRay View Post

Anyone reading that headline is going to clearly think that a scout had studied Smith as part of the, um, scouting process, and concluded that he was a spoiled, pampered brat.

"He's going to have a tough time in New York," an NFC scout said, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "Right now, he's coming off as a spoiled, pampered brat."

So here we find that there's no indication that the scout had any special insight into Smith. He was just reacting to all the stories that were put out after the draft--including stories by Cimini!--just like any other person. The fact he is a scout is inconsequential to the story.

What makes this even more hilarious is that the scout was not basing his comments on his actual experiences with Smith, but on a series of stories where reporters just piggybacked each other citing the same handful of sources one after the other. I'm even being generous when I say "handful." For all we know, all these venomous comments about Smith are coming from the same two people.
    As in the agents he fired? It's absolutely ridiculous to see the amount of unsubstantiated garbage that's out there coming from hacks like Manish and Dick, and peddled along as established fact by slugs like Florio. The media has an agenda and come hell or high water, they're going to play their cards.

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayRay View Post

Hey guess what everybody! I'm an NFC AND an AFC scout too!
    Yup!
    I watch football, and I assess the ability of some the players to see if they'd be a good fit for the Jets. I just don't like to use my name, because it has no credibility.
    That officially makes me a scout, right?