Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My how far we've come!

JetsInsider.com Legend

Red face My how far we've come!

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=290913034

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MCLlYm2HAs

Sanchez throws for 272 yards in debut; Ryan's D stymies Texans

HOUSTON -- After getting a pregame pep talk from Broadway Joe himself, Mark Sanchez couldn't help but sparkle in his debut in the NFL.

Sanchez, the fifth overall pick in this year's draft, threw for 272 yards and a touchdown, Thomas Jones scored twice, and the Jets shut down Houston's high-powered offense in a 24-7 win Sunday.

Joe Namath took Sanchez aside just minutes before pregame warmups. The rookie asked him about his first start and Namath said he didn't remember it and that Sunday was about Sanchez, not him.

"What a pep talk," a beaming Sanchez said. "That was Joe Namath, just taking all the credit from himself and throwing it back to me and just saying, 'Good luck.' To hear that from a legend like that, it just kind of gives you the chills. It was something special to be a part of, an emotional start, an emotional little pep talk."

Namath said Sanchez's performance didn't surprise him.
    "No, I was hopeful and I'm satisfied more than I thought I'd be," Namath said. "His offensive line did a hell of a job, but he did a great job of finding time with his feet, just to move subtly ... I don't doubt even a little bit that he doesn't have poise at this stage."

It was easy to see Rex Ryan's stamp on this defense in his first game as Jets head coach after leading the Ravens' stingy unit for the past several years. Houston's offense got past midfield just once in the first three quarters. The Texans were outgained 462-183, Steve Slaton was held to 17 yards rushing and Andre Johnson had 35 yards receiving.

"It's just insane," Slaton said. "You work for six months leading up to this first game. You have all offseason to prepare for this game and then to come out and play like that is upsetting."

Matt Schaub struggled, too, completing 18 of 33 passes for 166 yards with no touchdowns and an interception. Coach Gary Kubiak said Schaub hadn't completely recovered from an ankle sprain he suffered almost two weeks ago, but took the blame for Houston's poor performance.

"The offensive football team gave us no chance and that starts with me," Kubiak said. "There's nobody that can feel anything good coming out of this football game."

Sanchez was poised and confident from the start, often evading the rush to complete key passes. He completed at least three throws as he was being knocked down.

"He's able to move and bide a little extra time and again, this is why we took the guy," Ryan said. "This is why we traded up to get him."

His first NFL touchdown came in the second quarter when he found Chansi Stuckey wide open on a 30-yard reception to put the Jets up 10-0. After the score, television cameras flashed to a smiling Namath, who watched the game from a luxury suite at Reliant Stadium.

That score came after a fumble by Slaton at the end of an 18-yard catch and run. Donald Strickland knocked the ball out and it landed in Mike DeVito's hands.

"When we did move the ball, we have a big turnover," Johnson said. "It looked like we were going to score. We can't have those things happen. When they happen, you get beat."

Sanchez's only big mistake came in the fourth quarter. John Busing intercepted his pass and immediately fumbled. Houston's Dominique Barber picked up the ball and ran down the right sideline 48 yards for a touchdown to make it 17-7 with about 12 minutes left in the game.

The Jets answered quickly when Jones rumbled 38 yards for a touchdown four plays later.

Sanchez distributed the ball well among several receivers. Jerricho Cotchery finished with six receptions for 90 yards, tight end Dustin Keller had four for 94, and Stuckey had four for 64.

Jones had 107 yards rushing and Leon Washington added 60 to keep the running game going.

The Jets used an 87-yard drive that ended with a 1-yard run by Jones to push their lead to 17-0 midway through the third quarter. That score was set up by a 9-yard run by Washington, who took the snap out of the wildcat formation.

A 24-yard field goal by Jay Feely in the first quarter gave New York a 3-0 lead.

Linebacker David Harris led New York's defense, finishing with six solo tackles and a sack.

The Texans are 2-9 in the month and have lost their last six in September. The few thousand fans who remained when the game ended booed loudly as the last seconds ticked off.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Jets ruined him. Teams like Atlanta and Baltimore surround their QB's with multiple elite skill players like Ray Rice, Anquan Boldin, Torrey Smith, Julio Jones, Roddy White, Tony Gonzalez, Michael Turner..while Jets decide to use all their 1st round picks on defensive players.

But they got him Santonio Holmes

Show clips from the first time he faced Baltimore...

Bewildered Beast
    I blame young dooshes enabled by well meaning parents; they want to be hard-core and get face-time. So they boo Sanchez relentlessly if he's not perfect. I grew up at Shea; I know what I am talking about. And it must be 1000X worse today.

I am sure Mark wants out of town, but he's in a horrendous slump. At least the Jets have a top 5 defense(on paper), so it's worth it to stick it out. Jumbalaya jet says he can't possibly return so I am betting against the nacho.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Jets ruined him. Teams like Atlanta and Baltimore surround their QB's with multiple elite skill players like Ray Rice, Anquan Boldin, Torrey Smith, Julio Jones, Roddy White, Tony Gonzalez, Michael Turner..while Jets decide to use all their 1st round picks on defensive players.

No doubt Buzz he wasn't given the weapons other 1st rd picks QB's have had.

All Pro

I just find this argument so laughable. You think the Ravens are that loaded with talent offensively? Sanchez would suck with those guys too.

Falcons clearly to have two elite receivers, but Ryan was playing at a high level long before they drafted Julio Jones.

The weapons argument doesn't make sense. A franchise QB puts up NUMBERS with Braylon, Santonio, Cotchery, Keller, and LT. Franchise QBs make their skill position players, they don't need to be propped up in order not to be complete failures.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    I just find this argument so laughable. You think the Ravens are that loaded with talent offensively? Sanchez would suck with those guys too.

Falcons clearly to have two elite receivers, but Ryan was playing at a high level long before they drafted Julio Jones.

The weapons argument doesn't make sense. A franchise QB puts up NUMBERS with Braylon, Santonio, Cotchery, Keller, and LT. Franchise QBs make their skill position players, they don't need to be propped up in order not to be complete failures.
    He was developing when he had those players - improved in every statistical category from 2009 to 2010. You could see it too, it was observable. The Jets don't know how to develop QB's. They do it the opposite of successful franchises, let the talent level disintegrate around the most important player on the roster.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Falcons clearly to have two elite receivers, but Ryan was playing at a high level long before they drafted Julio Jones.The weapons argument doesn't make sense. A franchise QB puts up NUMBERS with Braylon, Santonio, Cotchery, Keller, and LT. Franchise QBs make their skill position players, they don't need to be propped up in order not to be complete failures.
    That is a good point Ryan was playing well from his rookie year on.. I think it's just the frustration after the first 2 years that makes some of us say what if.. Funny thing is remember how many here said Ryan was just another weak arm QB like Chaddy was..

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Agree jets didn't put the best tools around him ... More importantly though was having a mediocre at best teacher his first couple years ... Then moving to a very bad teacher last year

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

And watch the video, seriously watch it. Sanchez was better in his first game than he was in most games in year 4. He's likely not salvageable at this point but this organization had a major hand in it.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    This was supposed to be the year to start a 3 year run at the trophy, almost back to square one.

All Pro

Yeah, hardy har har. yes, you're right - Ray Rice, Anquan Boldin, Torrey Smith, just trash, along with that horrendous o-line which revamping it (and getting rid of the offensive offensive coordinator) sparked their playoff run on the way to the super bowl

and Ryan couldn't get into the playoffs without JOnes
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 05-04-2013 at 03:35 PM.

All Pro
    He was developing when he had those players - improved in every statistical category from 2009 to 2010. You could see it too, it was observable. The Jets don't know how to develop QB's. They do it the opposite of successful franchises, let the talent level disintegrate around the most important player on the roster.
    Don't buy it. Look around the league -- the game has changed. The rules and level of college QB play allow guys to step in and produce immediately. Year two isn't a "development year" anymore. If Ryan Tannehill struggles this year nobody will be making excuses for him. Did Josh Freeman have better weapons in 2010 when he had 25 TDs and 6 INTs? No he had WORSE weapons. He just played better. Guys like Keller would be in the Pro Bowl if they played in New England, Denver, or Pittsburgh.

I think it's clear entering 2012 that Mark Sanchez didn't have a lot of weapons on offense. I also think it's clear the team hadn't made great choices as far as OC were concerned. But I think it's even more clear, after four years, that Mark Sanchez is a bad QB who would have failed in almost any NFL city.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    yes, you're right - Ray Rice, Anquan Boldin, Torrey Smith, just trash, along with that horrendous o-line which revamping it (and getting rid of the offensive offensive coordinator) sparked their playoff run on the way to the super bowl

and Ryan couldn't get into the playoffs without JOnes
    If you traded Sanchez for Flacco straight up the 2012 Baltimore Ravens don't make the playoffs. That's my point. That "great talent" in Baltimore does jack sh*t with a QB as bad as Sanchez.

And while Ray Rice is a stud, Anquan Boldin and Torrey Holt are a very mediocre receiving corps. They're worse than Braylon and Holmes in 2010.

Ryan has made the playoffs 4 out of the 5 years he's been in the league and has never had a losing record. Obviously he sucks without Jones.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

If you traded Sanchez for Flacco straight up the 2012 Baltimore Ravens don't make the playoffs. That's my point. That "great talent" in Baltimore does jack sh*t with a QB as bad as Sanchez.

And while Ray Rice is a stud, Anquan Boldin and Torrey Holt are a very mediocre receiving corps. They're worse than Braylon and Holmes in 2010.

Ryan has made the playoffs 4 out of the 5 years he's been in the league and has never had a losing record. Obviously he sucks without Jones.
    Take Boldin out of the 2013 Bowl do the Ravens win??

All Pro
    And watch the video, seriously watch it. Sanchez was better in his first game than he was in most games in year 4. He's likely not salvageable at this point but this organization had a major hand in it.
    He was good in his first game because the Texans defense flat out sucked and nobody had any film on him.

He did NOT have a good rookie season. Claiming otherwise is revisionist history -- remember the Bills game he singlehandedly lost with 5 INTs? He played so poorly as a rookie that with the best defense in the league and number 1 ranked running game we had to sneak into the playoffs at 9-7. If we had a competent journeyman that year we might have had a shot at the SB.

I agree that the organization mismanaged/failed to develop him as well as they could have. I reject the notion that he would have been a good QB and the Jets "ruined him."

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Take Boldin out of the 2013 Bowl do the Ravens win??
    Depends on who you're replacing him with. Agreed he was a stud in their playoff run. Can't disagree with that. He's still a mediocre possession receiver at this point in his career and if people actually believe that Boldin would make Sanchez good I don't know what to tell them.

The list of receivers who MAKE their QB is small. Guys like Calvin Johnson and AJ Green MAKE Stafford and Dalton.

Most receivers are MADE by their QB. You need talent, but Boldin is a role-player who played big. He's not a game changing receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Show clips from the first time he faced Baltimore...
    We can also show clips of when he beat Manning, Brady, Rivers in the playoffs on the road.

those cry babies just heart sanchez, actually 1 particular troll on JI is male obsessed with Mark and blames rex for all his failures..

Those sanchez apologists have a very small memory. How many times did we see recievers WIDE open deep or in endzone but #6 never looked past his 1st option? Throwing the ball directly into D hands? the countless fumbles? How about not being able to read a defense? sure lets blame all those repeatedly personal mistakes on everyone else its so pathetic

Jets Insider VIP
    It's weird to see Sanchez before he became absolutely skittish in the pocket and lost his mechanics. In the video, he steps up into the pocket and delivers some darts down the middle.

Like another poster said, that ended after the Baltimore game.