Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

Thread: Dolphins offseason looking familiar?

  1. #1

    Dolphins offseason looking familiar?

    The Dolphins have let go dependable and important players in Smith, Bush, Dansby, and Long. Then they had "splashy" free agency where they brought in an overpriced player that his last franchise had to let go because he held out and became a distraction in Wallace, and may have overpaid for 3-4 LB. Then they make another "splashy" move in the draft moving up in the draft to get their guy ignoring a gaping hole at LT.

    They clearly did not pay attention to Tannenbaum's mistakes and are making risky long term decisions.

    Meanwhile, they are putting many eggs in one basket before the Brady era ends, and they will continue to be second fiddle to the Patriots, possibly even 3rd if the Jets start to turn around sooner rather than later.

    The timing is such that I am pleased we are doing our 2 year rebuild as Brady is in his twilight. Once the Brady era ends, we will all realize that the "Patriot way" was just the term of an all time great QB with 3 cheated SB wins and all the media can collectively get off their knees for Bill Belichek.

  2. #2
    I think the Dolphins have done some solid work in the offseason, overpaid their free agents but you have to do that most of the time...

    But it all comes down to Tannehill basically

  3. #3
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    W. Germany
    Posts
    1,158
    Yepp. I'm curious how the fins will perform this season.

  4. #4
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Iron Throne
    Posts
    2,741
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic Hip Screw View Post
    The Dolphins have let go dependable and important players in Smith, Bush, Dansby, and Long. Then they had "splashy" free agency where they brought in an overpriced player that his last franchise had to let go because he held out and became a distraction in Wallace, and may have overpaid for 3-4 LB. Then they make another "splashy" move in the draft moving up in the draft to get their guy ignoring a gaping hole at LT.

    They clearly did not pay attention to Tannenbaum's mistakes and are making risky long term decisions.

    Meanwhile, they are putting many eggs in one basket before the Brady era ends, and they will continue to be second fiddle to the Patriots, possibly even 3rd if the Jets start to turn around sooner rather than later.

    The timing is such that I am pleased we are doing our 2 year rebuild as Brady is in his twilight. Once the Brady era ends, we will all realize that the "Patriot way" was just the term of an all time great QB with 3 cheated SB wins and all the media can collectively get off their knees for Bill Belichek.
    They are owned by a doucher. What do you expect?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic Hip Screw View Post
    The timing is such that I am pleased we are doing our 2 year rebuild as Brady is in his twilight. Once the Brady era ends, we will all realize that the "Patriot way" was just the term of an all time great QB with 3 cheated SB wins and all the media can collectively get off their knees for Bill Belichek.
    Maybe you should wait to see who succeeds Brady before you make this statement. I doubt they will have Curtis Painter playing under center when Brady's time in NE is up.

  6. #6
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,148
    Painter>>>Ryanmarcus Mallet

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Painter>>>Ryanmarcus Mallet
    At sucking? Agreed.

  8. #8
    You realize we're still looking at 5 to 6 more seasons with Brady right?
    I can easily see another year or two extension on his contract at the end

  9. #9
    And I think the Dolphins are looking solid. They've built a solid foundation for a continued ascension. I wouldn't trick yourself into thinking that because they're getting better, they're secretly getting worse, and everything is going according to our `when Brady retires` plan.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    And I think the Dolphins are looking solid. They've built a solid foundation for a continued ascension. I wouldn't trick yourself into thinking that because they're getting better, they're secretly getting worse, and everything is going according to our `when Brady retires` plan.
    Really?? Please explain to us what makes the Dolphins solid? For all the hoopla, they won 7 games last season; the Jets won 6 and all hell has frozen over. Tannehill showed me nothing last year that indicates he is a franchise QB or even a good QB. Most of his stats were padded in garbage time with the fish losing. Please give me a signature win by Tannehill against a good team?

    Imo, Miami is the Philly of 2013. Owenership makes a big splash in free agency to help get a stadium deal and regenerate some buzz in south Florida. That franchise is morbid and has been for quite some time. That city is a one-sport town right now -- it's all about the Miami Heat. No one gives a rats azz about the Dolphins.

  11. #11
    All the Dolphins need to do is sign Tebow, and the offseason will be complete

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    Maybe you should wait to see who succeeds Brady before you make this statement. I doubt they will have Curtis Painter playing under center when Brady's time in NE is up.
    I never said my opinion is not biased, nor do I think the Pats will stink when Brady retires or declines, but these things are inevitable, and they will not replace him with someone as good. Only the Colts were lucky enough to replace an all time great with somebody who has that type of potential.
    Last edited by Dynamic Hip Screw; 05-05-2013 at 04:34 PM.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by jetssjumets View Post
    Really?? Please explain to us what makes the Dolphins solid? For all the hoopla, they won 7 games last season; the Jets won 6 and all hell has frozen over. Tannehill showed me nothing last year that indicates he is a franchise QB or even a good QB. Most of his stats were padded in garbage time with the fish losing. Please give me a signature win by Tannehill against a good team?

    Imo, Miami is the Philly of 2013. Owenership makes a big splash in free agency to help get a stadium deal and regenerate some buzz in south Florida. That franchise is morbid and has been for quite some time. That city is a one-sport town right now -- it's all about the Miami Heat. No one gives a rats azz about the Dolphins.
    They won 7 games with a rookie quarterback and rookie head coach with one of the youngest rosters in the NFL. A rookie quarterback that everybody said had to sit at least a year. Most people were very impressed by him. He just got overshadowed by an amazing group of rookies. Most dolphins fans and most analysts were impressed and have high hopes for him. Obviously I don't expect a Jets fan to be anything less than bias.

    I'll give you a signature win for Tannehill. The game against Seattle. Tannehill lead a comeback against them, along with a last minute drive to set them up with a fieldgoal. How about against the Jets vaunted pass defense. Drove the field to setup Carpenter with a winning fieldgoal, but he missed. So he did the same thing in OT, and he missed again.

    Now how about you give me an example of him racking up stats in garbage time? Because we were rarely blown out, and Tannehill didn't have any huge 4 quarters where we were down by alot. I doubt you can find anymore than a game or two, which I would imagine every quarterback has. But seeing as that you said most of his stats, I guess you can probably show me 5 or 6 or even 8 or 9 games.

    So a 7 win team, makes some nice additions in free agency, and there going to get worse? Yea it can happen. But based on last year and what they have done in free agency and the draft, there is no reason they shouldnt be fighting for a wildcard. It's funny how a GM can setup a team with 40+ million dollars, and a bunch of draft picks, but when he uses it like he should, he gets ripped on. Like what the hell is he supposed to do with that money? I would be furious if he didn't use all of his resources. Of course then people would just say that nobody wants to play in Miami. I guess you just can't win.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by jetssjumets View Post
    Really?? Please explain to us what makes the Dolphins solid? For all the hoopla, they won 7 games last season; the Jets won 6 and all hell has frozen over. Tannehill showed me nothing last year that indicates he is a franchise QB or even a good QB. Most of his stats were padded in garbage time with the fish losing. Please give me a signature win by Tannehill against a good team?

    Imo, Miami is the Philly of 2013. Owenership makes a big splash in free agency to help get a stadium deal and regenerate some buzz in south Florida. That franchise is morbid and has been for quite some time. That city is a one-sport town right now -- it's all about the Miami Heat. No one gives a rats azz about the Dolphins.
    Look, I know something is in the water lately, but we're going to be battling the Bills this season for #3 in the AFC East. The Dolphins are going to kill us, and they're built in a way where it is likely they'll improve every season for the next couple.

    The Dolphins are not better than the Patriots, but they have a real shot at the AFC East division championship this year because of strength of schedule. They'll start out rough, but could end their season on a 7 or 8 game win streak.

    If you think we're going to the AFC Championship this year and the Dolphins are going to struggle to repeat their 7 wins, you're crazy.

    Miami is on the rise. I would take their front office over ours any day. They're doing it right. We're still doing it wrong. We kept Rex. We just drafted Geno. We're going to continue to do it wrong. Obviously.

  15. #15
    The Dolphins will likely be better this year, they have a good shot at the playoffs too. However, the risk is in year 3 and 4. That is the point I am making, not they will be worse next year, or even the year after. The Dolphins approach this offseason has been near identical to the Jets of 2009/2010. Sorry if you don't see the similarities.

    Bye bye to solid contributors such as Braylon Edwards, Leon Washington, Brad Smith, all solid and no character concerns, in with troubled Santonio and other high priced FAs. We did give away too many draft picks, they have not.

    These moves may pay off, I didn't even make any predictions. However, I see huge risks.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Look, I know something is in the water lately, but we're going to be battling the Bills this season for #3 in the AFC East. The Dolphins are going to kill us, and they're built in a way where it is likely they'll improve every season for the next couple.

    The Dolphins are not better than the Patriots, but they have a real shot at the AFC East division championship this year because of strength of schedule. They'll start out rough, but could end their season on a 7 or 8 game win streak.

    If you think we're going to the AFC Championship this year and the Dolphins are going to struggle to repeat their 7 wins, you're crazy.

    Miami is on the rise. I would take their front office over ours any day. They're doing it right. We're still doing it wrong. We kept Rex. We just drafted Geno. We're going to continue to do it wrong. Obviously.
    Well that's because you know nothing about football. Enlighten us oh wise one, who would you have fired Rex for THIS YEAR, and who would you have drafted at 39??? There's a reason these guys work in the NFL and your critiquing and whining from a keyboard.

    Tannhill is garbage and their defense is still trash. Why should they be that much better? I mean hell, we won SIX games with probably the worst qb and skill players in football. Tannehill is Sanchez 2.0 as of now and Mike Wallace is a TERRIBLE fit for that offense seeing as how he runs 1 friggin route. Also, how did building a dream team while ignoring their offensive line work out for the Eagles?

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogglez View Post
    Well that's because you know nothing about football. Enlighten us oh wise one, who would you have fired Rex for THIS YEAR, and who would you have drafted at 39??? There's a reason these guys work in the NFL and your critiquing and whining from a keyboard.

    Tannhill is garbage and their defense is still trash. Why should they be that much better? I mean hell, we won SIX games with probably the worst qb and skill players in football. Tannehill is Sanchez 2.0 as of now and Mike Wallace is a TERRIBLE fit for that offense seeing as how he runs 1 friggin route. Also, how did building a dream team while ignoring their offensive line work out for the Eagles?
    Why do I get the feeling if I checked your post history you would be one of "those people", `oh wise one`?

    Let me guess: A lot of 12-4 talk a year ago, a lot of "Mark Sanchez gives us the best chance to win" still in week 12, a lot of praise for Rex.

    That all about right?

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic Hip Screw View Post
    The Dolphins will likely be better this year, they have a good shot at the playoffs too. However, the risk is in year 3 and 4. That is the point I am making, not they will be worse next year, or even the year after. The Dolphins approach this offseason has been near identical to the Jets of 2009/2010. Sorry if you don't see the similarities.

    Bye bye to solid contributors such as Braylon Edwards, Leon Washington, Brad Smith, all solid and no character concerns, in with troubled Santonio and other high priced FAs. We did give away too many draft picks, they have not.

    These moves may pay off, I didn't even make any predictions. However, I see huge risks.
    Lmao, Leon's leg snapped in two and Braylon Edwards got arressted the week of huge division game. Yeah no concerns there. Not to mention that Braylon has done absolute zero since leaving the first time around. He did nothing last year too when he was resigned. Looked ok but definitely not the same guy he was in 2010.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic Hip Screw View Post
    The Dolphins will likely be better this year, they have a good shot at the playoffs too. However, the risk is in year 3 and 4. That is the point I am making, not they will be worse next year, or even the year after. The Dolphins approach this offseason has been near identical to the Jets of 2009/2010. Sorry if you don't see the similarities.

    Bye bye to solid contributors such as Braylon Edwards, Leon Washington, Brad Smith, all solid and no character concerns, in with troubled Santonio and other high priced FAs. We did give away too many draft picks, they have not.

    These moves may pay off, I didn't even make any predictions. However, I see huge risks.
    I dont know how many troubled players we signed, I guess that remains to be seen. We definately did get rid of some good veteran leadership however, and that does concern me some. I think Philbin is a tough coach so that should help with any egos.

    Where I disagree tho, is that the Jets pushed a bunch of salary back to fit all of the talent that they had. The dolphins aren't exactly doing that. We are pushing alot of salary to next year, but that is about as far as it goes, and based on everything I've seen, we have the cap room next year to allow us to do that. We probably wont be able to make alot of moves next year, but we shouldn't have to cut anybody either to fit under the cap.

    Another difference is that our team is very young. One of, if not the youngest in the nfl. The Jets signings were all at or past their prime when they signed them, and quickly regressed. That shouldn't be an issue with our signings. Also, for the players we lost, we should have guys ready to replace them. I think most people know that sean smith wasn't a good player. He is easily replaced and Brent Grimes should be an upgrade. We have a few running backs that can make up if not exeed Reggie Bush' production. I don't think 1000 yards and 4 ypc is that hard to make up. Dansby we replaced with Ellerbe and saved money. Again, leadership may be an issue because they all were, but for the most part I think we upgraded all of these areas, besides losing Jake Long. But even he wasn't good last year.

    Now if Sanchez had progressed into the franchise qb that the Jets hoped, the Jets wouldn't be in as bad a situation as they are in now. If Tannehill ends up being a bust, the dolphins will be back to rebuilding. If he turns into a franchise qb, we should be good for a while.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogglez View Post
    Well that's because you know nothing about football. Enlighten us oh wise one, who would you have fired Rex for THIS YEAR, and who would you have drafted at 39??? There's a reason these guys work in the NFL and your critiquing and whining from a keyboard.

    Tannhill is garbage and their defense is still trash. Why should they be that much better? I mean hell, we won SIX games with probably the worst qb and skill players in football. Tannehill is Sanchez 2.0 as of now and Mike Wallace is a TERRIBLE fit for that offense seeing as how he runs 1 friggin route. Also, how did building a dream team while ignoring their offensive line work out for the Eagles?
    Tannehill is absolutely nothing like Sanchez. If you can explain the similarities I would like to hear them. They are very different quarterbacks. Not saying Tannehill is going to end up good, or if he's going to bust out, but to compare them is silly.

    While were at it, how is Mike Wallace a terrible fit for our offense. He did pretty well in Pittsburgh. According to Pitts old offensive coordinator, and Roethlisberger, the 1 route thing is overblown. Also, if Pitt is such a model franchise, and alot of people like to say that if they didn't resign him, then he must have issues, then why did they try to resign him for 10 million a year? They obviously wanted to keep him but couldn't afford it.
    Last edited by jp5002; 05-05-2013 at 06:33 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us