Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Historically, What do JI Naysayers do?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jxc View Post
    That magical season of 2010 where Mark Sanchez's QB rating of 75.3 was 37th among all QBs that threw the ball at least 50 times.

Dream big.
    There does seem to be some revisionist history that Sanchez was good early in his career. The Jets had the best defense and running game in the league. They asked Sanchez to do very little - if we had average QB play instead of 37th ranked this team may have won a superbowl.

They later asked him to step up and take on some real QB responsibility - and he failed miserably.

To say the Jets didn't support him in his growth is absurd. They did the best thing for a young QB any team could do. They gave him two years where he wasn't asked to do too much and learn on the job - with a great o line, running game and defense.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    That magical season of 2010 where Mark Sanchez's QB rating of 75.3 was 37th among all QBs that threw the ball at least 50 times.

Dream big.
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    There does seem to be some revisionist history that Sanchez was good early in his career. The Jets had the best defense and running game in the league. They asked Sanchez to do very little - if we had average QB play instead of 37th ranked this team may have won a superbowl.

They later asked him to step up and take on some real QB responsibility - and he failed miserably.

To say the Jets didn't support him in his growth is absurd. They did the best thing for a young QB any team could do. They gave him two years where he wasn't asked to do too much and learn on the job - with a great o line, running game and defense.

Were things perfect for Sanchez? No. But they never are. We didn't draft him a big-time WR. That is the only legit gripe.

He was a game manager at best when surrounded by a good OL and great running game. He just so happened to have a couple of good playoff games, one against Brady, that he has gotten a lot of mileage out of. But when you look at the sample size of poor play vs good play the difference is stark. And that includes the glory years of 2009 and 2010 as well as 2011 and 2012.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Thing is, the year that they asked him to step up was arguably when the team around him was starting to decline. Bad timing in that respect. Sanchez couldn't elevate those around him, and those around him couldn't compensate for his mistakes.

For the record - I don't believe the "true" Sanchez is the one we saw last year - I think he's better than that. I just think that the fan base's overall perception of him as the root of all the team's ills will prevent him from getting enough time to try to prove them wrong this year. First INT and the boos will start, first fumble and the "Ge-no!" chants will start. All QB's throw INTs, all QB's fumble. But Sanchez will be overly criticized because of the past year.

Fans just seem too keen to run players out of town and bring in the next guy in the belief that he'll be better "because he can't be worse". Impatience doesn't win championships. Just my opinion. This year, see what MS can do under Marty's scheme, if he wins the job then fair enough, give him a shot. No rush to start the new guy just because he's new. Best man plays - and I'll support whoever that is, regardless of history.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Baddniss View Post
    You are probably big on Fantasy Football...where stats are everything, and WINNING games means nothing...

WE WENT TO THE AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME TWICE IN CONSECUTIVE SEASONS! Stats have zero value compared to that sentence.
    They mean NOTHING compared to real results.
    The Championship game...that's my reality.
    In 2009 the Jets, coming off a 9-7 season in 2008, had the #1 rushing offense, the #1 passing defense and the #1 rushing defense.

In 2010 they were top five in those categories.

Only one thing was missing: decent QB play by the QB.

Or have you forgotten about the fumble 6 right before halftime after going for 3 for 8 against the Steelers in the 2010 Conference Championship?

Or the interception with 2 minutes left in the Conference Championship game against the Colts in the 2009?

Two costly plays that have become all too commonplace the last two years.

If you're still impressed by those two losses in the Conference Championship game you must be really dazzled by Donovan McNabb. His team lost 4 Conference Championships in a row.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSkOQftx5Ro

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

If you're still impressed by those two losses in the Conference Championship game you must be really dazzled by Donovan McNabb. His team lost 4 Conference Championships in a row.
    Yes, you are right. I am impressed with McNabb's career... getting to 4 Championship games in a row? VERY impressive.
    This is gonna hurt you to hear, but I am equally impressed with the career of Jim Kelly of the Bills...

Better example: Also impressed with Trent Dilfer ( who I believe was a WORSE thrower than Sanchez).
    You play to win The Game.
    Last edited by Baddniss; 05-05-2013 at 10:23 AM.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    There will always be those who know more than the profrssionals who spend their careers studying, playing, coaching and evaluating the game, players and personel. I have seen Dorow throw his first touchdown to Don Maynard before the team became the Jets, celebrated the glorious 1969 year when the Jets, Mets and Knicks all reached the pinnacle of their sports but do not claim to have greater knowledge or insight than those who earn their living in the sport.

Even the "professionals" can be wrong-John Unitas was playing sandlot football before he was discovered by the Colts, who was this kid Brady playing for Michigan or Michigan State or wherever he came from and the countless late round draft choices and free agents who have plaques in the H of F.

Can sanchez succeed? of course he can-his first 3 years were comparable to the "elite". He probably needs a psychologist as much as a coach and while I may question his ability to succeed, I readily admit i don't KNOW and neither does any poster here. the one thing i do know is that anything is possible for a player who has the physical skills and mental ability to absorb knowledge if the they have the heart, work ethic and demeanor to complement their skills and ability.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSage View Post
    There will always be those who know more than the profrssionals who spend their careers studying, playing, coaching and evaluating the game, players and personel. I have seen Dorow throw his first touchdown to Don Maynard before the team became the Jets, celebrated the glorious 1969 year when the Jets, Mets and Knicks all reached the pinnacle of their sports but do not claim to have greater knowledge or insight than those who earn their living in the sport.

Even the "professionals" can be wrong-John Unitas was playing sandlot football before he was discovered by the Colts, who was this kid Brady playing for Michigan or Michigan State or wherever he came from and the countless late round draft choices and free agents who have plaques in the H of F.

Can sanchez succeed? of course he can-his first 3 years were comparable to the "elite". He probably needs a psychologist as much as a coach and while I may question his ability to succeed, I readily admit i don't KNOW and neither does any poster here. the one thing i do know is that anything is possible for a player who has the physical skills and mental ability to absorb knowledge if the they have the heart, work ethic and demeanor to complement their skills and ability.
    Jet fans would have loved Johnny U his first pass as a pro was a pick 6..

After college, the Pittsburgh Steelers of the NFL drafted Unitas in the ninth round. However, Unitas was released before the season began as the odd man out among four quarterbacks trying to fill three spots. Steelers Head Coach Walt Kiesling had made up his mind about Unitas; he thought him not smart enough to quarterback an NFL team. The opposite would be true, as Unitas would become one of the greatest on-field leaders of all time, introducing the 2-minute offense to the NFL. Kiesling never even let Unitas take a snap in practice with the Steelers. Among those edging out Unitas was Ted Marchibroda, future NFL quarterback and longtime NFL head coach. Out of pro football, Unitas—by this time married—worked in construction in Pittsburgh to support his family. On the weekends, he played quarterback, safety and punter on a local semipro team called the Bloomfield Rams for $6 a game.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    And there you go.

Does not take a degree in rocket scientry to see that Mark Sanchez' growth was destroyed by the worst OC in the league leading the worst talent in the league.

SAR I
    If there were a such thing as scientry, then you'd be exactly right.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I didn't get your post...

Are you for or against people giving opinions on message boards?
    Do you think Sanchez was an elite QB for 3 years or was that sarcasm?
    Do you think Sanchez has the heart, work ethic and demeanor to be a good QB?

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, I didn't get your post...

Are you for or against people giving opinions on message boards?
    Do you think Sanchez was an elite QB for 3 years or was that sarcasm?
    Do you think Sanchez has the heart, work ethic and demeanor to be a good QB?
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Thing is, the year that they asked him to step up was arguably when the team around him was starting to decline. Bad timing in that respect. Sanchez couldn't elevate those around him, and those around him couldn't compensate for his mistakes.

For the record - I don't believe the "true" Sanchez is the one we saw last year - I think he's better than that. I just think that the fan base's overall perception of him as the root of all the team's ills will prevent him from getting enough time to try to prove them wrong this year. First INT and the boos will start, first fumble and the "Ge-no!" chants will start. All QB's throw INTs, all QB's fumble. But Sanchez will be overly criticized because of the past year.

Fans just seem too keen to run players out of town and bring in the next guy in the belief that he'll be better "because he can't be worse". Impatience doesn't win championships. Just my opinion. This year, see what MS can do under Marty's scheme, if he wins the job then fair enough, give him a shot. No rush to start the new guy just because he's new. Best man plays - and I'll support whoever that is, regardless of history.
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Jet fans would have loved Johnny U his first pass as a pro was a pick 6..

After college, the Pittsburgh Steelers of the NFL drafted Unitas in the ninth round. However, Unitas was released before the season began as the odd man out among four quarterbacks trying to fill three spots. Steelers Head Coach Walt Kiesling had made up his mind about Unitas; he thought him not smart enough to quarterback an NFL team. The opposite would be true, as Unitas would become one of the greatest on-field leaders of all time, introducing the 2-minute offense to the NFL. Kiesling never even let Unitas take a snap in practice with the Steelers. Among those edging out Unitas was Ted Marchibroda, future NFL quarterback and longtime NFL head coach. Out of pro football, Unitas—by this time married—worked in construction in Pittsburgh to support his family. On the weekends, he played quarterback, safety and punter on a local semipro team called the Bloomfield Rams for $6 a game.
    To comment on the latter first-The posters on this and most boards would have knocked the FO, scouting staff and coaches for bringing a sandlot qb who could not figure out which teams he was throwing to. But good post

I was trying to point out that for the the first two years he was the toast of the town being credited with helping to bring the team to championship games his first to year and that even after his third year his body of work was comparable to those considered among the best.heart.

Neither I nor anyone posting here have sufficient personal knowledge or experience to properly evaluate his work ethic and demeanor.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    To comment on the latter first-The posters on this and most boards would have knocked the FO, scouting staff and coaches for bringing a sandlot qb who could not figure out which teams he was throwing to. But good post

I was trying to point out that for the the first two years he was the toast of the town being credited with helping to bring the team to championship games his first to year and that even after his third year his body of work was comparable to those considered among the best.heart.

Neither I nor anyone posting here have sufficient personal knowledge or experience to properly evaluate his work ethic and demeanor.
    Careful there are Board wanna be GM's that know for a fact they could be the best that ever was..

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Careful there are Board wanna be GM's that know for a fact they could be the best that ever was..
    legends in their own minds?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    legends in their own minds?
    Yep they are legends fed by delusions of grandeur..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Yep they are legends, fed by delusions of grandeur..
    I am fed by those 2 girls in your picture...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now that Tebow is out of thew picture for good, I am anti-Sanchez. Initially, I was a little skeptical of the Geno pick but I can't take Sanchez seriously if he's wearing that headband.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Arctor View Post
    To the OP, most of us here, with the exception of a few trolls who prefer losing and the joyful trolling it brings them, want to win.

If Sanchez turns it around and plays great, we'll ALL be happy about it, because it'll mean we're winning, or at least playing better. Some will admit being wrong, regardless of if they were or weren't. Some won't. Some supporters will crow about right all along, regardless of if they were or weren't. Some won't. Same as any forum on any topic.

In the end, who cares what people predict on a messabe board? There is no score keeping after all, only memorable claims from the more memorable posters. Most posters are anonymous, and their prdictions lost to memory not long after they're made. In any event, if one's first thought after a big win or loss is to come here and get all toldyaso with other posters for being right/wrong about x or y, their priorities are in the wrong place.

Whatever makes the Jets better and win more games, we want. We simply disagree on what that is in many cases.
    This is a great response and one I completely agree with. If Sanchez turns it around and we win as a result, I will be happy and gladly say I was wrong about Suckchez. I just do not see it happening but I do hope for it to turn out well for our team!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    Now that Tebow is out of thew picture for good, I am anti-Sanchez. Initially, I was a little skeptical of the Geno pick but I can't take Sanchez seriously if he's wearing that headband.
    He doesn't even have long hair.