View Poll Results: How does the Jets brain trust really feel about Rex?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lame duck, he'll be gone in 2014

9 10.23%
  • His status is up in the air depending on 2013. He'll get a fair shot.

53 60.23%
  • Woody loves him. I think he's the coach going forward for at least a few years.

26 29.55%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you think Woody/Idzik REALLY feel about Rex?

Rex's best fit for himself and the team is a DC.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post

I have him on basic self control ignore.
    Get back to work...nobody needs your .02 cents

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Well, if they disagree but Woody overrules Idzik who cares what Idzik thinks?

If they disagree but Woody gives Idzik the power who care what Woody thinks?

The question is the direction the franchise will be going.
    then change the question to reflect what you meant to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    I think it was Woody's, but especially Tanny's, wish that Rex be the attention getting mouthpiece for the team and hired because he was capable of doing so. People that think (or wish) he will be fired for doing exactly what he was asked to do are unrealistic. I think Woody realized how badly that approach backfired on him, but if they had won the SB as planned, then it would have bee water under the bridge. And now that it has backfired, he (and Idzik) are taking the opposite approach and as you can see Rex is, once again, doing exactly as told. In that case, why would he get fired?
    I think this is on point.

All Pro
    Rex is a QB away from being a legend.

Think about it- you have offense and you have defense. Rex gives you an elite defense every single year, that's half the game plus the players love him and he's a great motivator- all he needs is a QB or his counterpart in an offensive coordinator:

I'm 100% behind Rex because of this- a top 5 defense without top 5 talent purely on the head coach is sure as **** worth a HC job too me.

This post will be followed by the ...

How do you Really REALLY feel about Woody/Idzik and REX thread .

... Count on it...

Pffffft.

Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    I don't think he's automatically gone. In fact, the announcement about moving Coples to a new position tells me Rex has more influence that we thought (hoped). Why would you screw with a player's head by moving him out of position, then bring in a new coach next year who may move him right back? Rex is here at least 2 more seasons.
    If Rex gets an extension I can name at least 1 poster who will off himself..

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    Rex is a QB away from being a legend.

Think about it- you have offense and you have defense. Rex gives you an elite defense every single year, that's half the game plus the players love him and he's a great motivator- all he needs is a QB or his counterpart in an offensive coordinator:

I'm 100% behind Rex because of this- a top 5 defense without top 5 talent purely on the head coach is sure as **** worth a HC job too me.
    This sums it up for me too.

Woody could care less- the less moves he has to make, the better.

I think Idzik has a shorter leash with Rex- it's evident that Idzik pays attention to character and if he senses that Rex's bravado is distracting the Jets' ability to evolve, then he will put his foot down.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    I don't think he's automatically gone. In fact, the announcement about moving Coples to a new position tells me Rex has more influence that we thought (hoped). Why would you screw with a player's head by moving him out of position, then bring in a new coach next year who may move him right back? Rex is here at least 2 more seasons.
    Every coach has the authority to play a player at the position he believes the player and/or team would benefit.

If Idzik didn't allow him to move Coples, Rex would and should quit. GM's pick players, coaches decide how and where to use them. Players have to adjust, it's not screwing with anyones head.

And I don't think for a minute, baring a total mutiny by the team that Rex is fired after the season. He has nothing to prove, he's already proven that with some talent he can motivate a team, get them to advance to a spot no one had a right to expect them to get to. His first two teams overachieved under his watch. Too many forget that. I'd guess he gets an extension before the start of the season.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 05-06-2013 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ADemas View Post
    Rex's best fit for himself and the team is a DC.
    Rex isn't a great head coach.

He's a great defensive coordinator.

It's that simple.

Anybody who idolizes Buddy Ryan will never be more than a great Defensive Coordinator. Read Rex's book.

My feeling is that the roster's awful and Rex is a sideshow and it's unfair to everybody but Woody Johnson (who avoided paying two head coach's this year by not firing him) that he's still head coach.

I like Dennis Thurman, though. And hopefully he gleans as much as possible from Rex this year and wins DC back next year.

All Pro
    Rex will get a fair chance in 2013, and I think he'll stick. The record at the end of the regular season will not matter as much as the manner in which the team finishes the season.

Rex is an excellent defensive coach, and personally, I like him much more now that he has shut his trap and is acting more professional.

This decision will not come down to straight wins and losses, but instead overall team performance and whether or not we look ready to succeed in the future.

If we look like we did last year on the field, then Rex is gone, plain and simple. However, I like our chances to be better on offense and comparable on defense.

My Personal Opinion: Do not fire Rex. He might talk a little too much and he has made some mistakes, but you cannot replace the results he has had with our defense. Our talent was not in the top-10 last year especially after Revis went down, but we finished strong. In my opinion, we have Rex and Marty who are great on defense and offense respectively, and many times with missing pieces. Give them a couple years together at least considering we will be able to add more talent to this roster in 2014.