Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NFL field goal success rate

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar

NFL field goal success rate

Listening to NFL radio yesterday they were talking about how field goals are made at over 80%. I may be wrong on the actual number. Anyway the conversation was about how much more accurate the kickers are now than they were in the past.

I was thinking should the NFL consider shrinking the width of the goal posts and make it more difficult to kick one?

I remember reading somewhere that HOF-er Jan Stenerud isn't even in the top 100 all-time in FG accuracy.

Tinkering with the goal posts is worth considering, I suppose. But if I could change one thing about the NFL kicking game, it would be to eliminate the asinine PAT kick.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Listening to NFL radio yesterday they were talking about how field goals are made at over 80%. I may be wrong on the actual number. Anyway the conversation was about how much more accurate the kickers are now than they were in the past.

I was thinking should the NFL consider shrinking the width of the goal posts and make it more difficult to kick one?
    Why? it's really a consolation prize. the goals used to be on the goal line..they moved them back about 35 years ago. Also, many years ago if you missed the FG, the other team received the ball on their own 20 . Those changes were put in place to reduce attempts. it worked.

NOW..a missed FG results in the ball on the existing spot.

Those 2 rule changes IMO were enough. The attempts now, have a higher probability because a LONG low percentage FG has higher risk and is less attempted. just my thought.

I don't know about that BUT....

They should widen soccer nets by about 5 feet.

Many more indoor stadiums, and very few real grass fields. Even the few real grass fields are meticulously manicured. Not to mention a kicker's ball. WTF is that about!?

I kinda wish there was a way to eliminate kicking altogether.
    It sucks that so many games are decided by the foot of a guy who sucks at soccer and couldn't make the team.

Hall Of Fame
    They already addressed this with the overtime rules.

All League
    leave things the way they are.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    I don't know about that BUT....

They should widen soccer nets by about 5 feet.
    And add an Orange card...for something worse than yellow card worthy, but not quite deserving of a red card.

Amirite?

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    And add an Orange card...for something worse than yellow card worthy, but not quite deserving of a red card.

Amirite?
    Like slapping?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Many more indoor stadiums, and very few real grass fields. Even the few real grass fields are meticulously manicured. Not to mention a kicker's ball. WTF is that about!?
    The domes are the big thing. Go from kicking outdoors with the Vikings to kicking in a dome. That's a massive change.

The kicker's ball is harder to kick. It's newer, not used during the game, therefore has less rebound and doesn't go quite as far.

This is why I don't have any issues with changing the overtime rules. It's quite clear that the overtime rules for the nfl were set up in a time when 30-39 yard field goals were roughly equal to 50 field goals now. Essentially, teams are starting with the ball 20 yards closer because of improvement to kicking game.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.

Or having Offenses that can get 6, instead of settling for 3.

This reminds me of how Doug Brien was nearly 90% less than 40 yards and probably 50% or less for more than 40 yards, and idiot Herm decided to stop advancing the football and kick a long field goal against the Steelers in the playoffs.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    I remember reading somewhere that HOF-er Jan Stenerud isn't even in the top 100 all-time in FG accuracy.

Tinkering with the goal posts is worth considering, I suppose. But if I could change one thing about the NFL kicking game, it would be to eliminate the asinine PAT kick.
    I think it would be great for two separate sports that:
    a) they take about six inches OFF the goal posts
    b) ADD those six inches onto the current NHL hockey nets.

and they all seem to have a 95% conversion rate when playing against the Jets

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic Hip Screw View Post
    This reminds me of how Doug Brien was nearly 90% less than 40 yards and probably 50% or less for more than 40 yards, and idiot Herm decided to stop advancing the football and kick a long field goal against the Steelers in the playoffs.
    Wow. Did u have to remind me of that debacle. Then we draft a kicker in round 2 the next season. How stupid was that? Who was our GM - please dont tell me it was Bradway.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    The domes are the big thing. Go from kicking outdoors with the Vikings to kicking in a dome. That's a massive change.

The kicker's ball is harder to kick. It's newer, not used during the game, therefore has less rebound and doesn't go quite as far.
    And all the expansion teams seem to have been added to good weather sites or with domes.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianNY View Post
    Except opponents against the Jets were 31st in the league in Field Goal %. You might be thinking of 2011 when teams were 29/30 against the Jets, including 5/6 beyond 50.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrianNY View Post
    SOJF sees everything that way