Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rational Jets article

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)

Rational Jets article

Numbers don't lie

This article was from a paper called the Examiner.....a rational and factual outlook regarding the Jets...to call them the worst team in the NFL is beyond absurd.

+

Related topics
    •New York Jets
    •jets
    •NFL
    •Sports
    •Rex Ryan

Related Ads

•NFL Draft
    •New York Jets Game
    •Tickets Jets VS Caps
    •Laughing

Advertisement

Over the past four years the New York Jets have become one of the most scrutinized teams in the NFL. The main reason for most of the scrutiny is the arrogant, brash coaching style of Rex Ryan. The Jets head coach has never been scared to make headlines, or guarantees for that matter, and has often encouraged his players to speak their minds. Initially this approach was met with open arms by the press as the Jets quickly became media darlings. Rex kept talking and the Jets kept winning, all the way to back-to-back AFC Championship games. The Jets were the talk of the town.

In 2011 the New York Jets performance on and off the field started to tail off and the team was abruptly hit with criticism. The organization that was once making headlines for winning started becoming the punchline for jokes for losing all across the country. Ryan's quotes that were once considered clever were being mocked by all of the local sports analysts. Before you knew it players were being misquoted and the media circus officially arrived.

Now following a mediocre 6-10 season in 2012 the Jets are being called by many the "laughingstock of the NFL." Every move that the team makes is being hit with criticism and the organization rarely gets positive press whether the team deserves it or not.

On paper I agree that the Jets are not one of the top teams in the NFL, but laughingstock? Lets take a look at some of the other team's records over the past 4 years.

Rams 17-46-1

Browns 19-45

Lions 22-42

Bills 22-42

Jaguars 22-42

Panthers 23-41

Chiefs 23-41

Buccaneers 24-40

Raiders 25-39

Dolphins 27-37

Cardinals 28-36

Vikings 31-33

New York Jets 34-30

I think it is safe to say that the New York Jets are not the laughingstock of the NFL. In my eyes a team like the Browns owns that honor. The Jets "win now and talk about it" mentality has come and gone and the organization has put a new plan in place to restructure the team. There may be some growing pains during this process but I think that John Idzik and company are on the right track. The salary cap issues have been addressed and the front office is promoting competition at every position. The Jets will have plenty of salary cap space in 2014 along with a boatload of draft picks. I think it may be time for some people to open their eyes and truly evaluate what is going on with the New York Jets.
    Last edited by jetsfreak; 05-06-2013 at 04:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    Numbers don't lie

Over the past four years the New York Jets have become one of the most scrutinized teams in the NFL. The main reason for most of the scrutiny is the arrogant, brash coaching style of Rex Ryan. The Jets head coach has never been scared to make headlines, or guarantees for that matter, and has often encouraged his players to speak their minds. Initially this approach was met with open arms by the press as the Jets quickly became media darlings. Rex kept talking and the Jets kept winning, all the way to back-to-back AFC Championship games. The Jets were the talk of the town.

In 2011 the New York Jets performance on and off the field started to tail off and the team was abruptly hit with criticism. The organization that was once making headlines for winning started becoming the punchline for jokes for losing all across the country. Ryan's quotes that were once considered clever were being mocked by all of the local sports analysts. Before you knew it players were being misquoted and the media circus officially arrived.

Now following a mediocre 6-10 season in 2012 the Jets are being called by many the "laughingstock of the NFL." Every move that the team makes is being hit with criticism and the organization rarely gets positive press whether the team deserves it or not.

On paper I agree that the Jets are not one of the top teams in the NFL, but laughingstock? Lets take a look at some of the other team's records over the past 4 years.

Rams 17-46-1

Browns 19-45

Lions 22-42

Bills 22-42

Jaguars 22-42

Panthers 23-41

Chiefs 23-41

Buccaneers 24-40

Raiders 25-39

Dolphins 27-37

Cardinals 28-36

Vikings 31-33

New York Jets 34-30

I think it is safe to say that the New York Jets are not the laughingstock of the NFL. In my eyes a team like the Browns owns that honor. The Jets "win now and talk about it" mentality has come and gone and the organization has put a new plan in place to restructure the team. There may be some growing pains during this process but I think that John Idzik and company are on the right track. The salary cap issues have been addressed and the front office is promoting competition at every position. The Jets will have plenty of salary cap space in 2014 along with a boatload of draft picks. I think it may be time for some people to open their eyes and truly evaluate what is going on with the New York Jets.

Those other teams that were mentioned don't have coaches out there talking about how great they are or predicting SB wins. Granted, Rex has dialed it down, but his new "reality" hasn't overcome public perception of him.

In short, when you go in front of the public and set high expectations talking about how good you are, people are going to laugh at you when you fail to meet those predictions.

What do the numbers say about that abomination against the Titans last year?
    Or the butt fumble? What do they say about the entire Thanksgiving game?
    Do you know how many people in America watch the Thanksgiving game? Even old ladies and 4 year olds that never watch football watch football on Thanksgiving day.

We're the worst team in football, not because we're the worst of the worst, but because we're the loudest of the worst.

Thank our genius head coach, savior of the Jets, who didn't come here to kiss Belichick's rings and instead just regularly guarantees his own, even though he can't even win the division.
    Last edited by Zarathustra; 05-06-2013 at 05:10 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    I don't care how many people were watching that game...this is a NEW season...new attitude and a new approach...with that said, there were still TWELVE teams that had a worse record than the jets.

Hall Of Fame
    We are projected as being one of the worst teams for 2013. Not sure how the past 4 years is relevant since we have gutted the roster over that time. In the NFL 4 years is an eternity.

If your point is that we don't have it as bad as some fan bases then I certainly agree. The Jets have been a decent franchise since Parcells. But we haven't won a championship.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    We are projected as being one of the worst teams for 2013. Not sure how the past 4 years is relevant since we have gutted the roster over that time. In the NFL 4 years is an eternity.

If your point is that we don't have it as bad as some fan bases then I certainly agree. The Jets have been a decent franchise since Parcells. But we haven't won a championship.
    Many teams have not won a Championship since we had Parcells. Only we are the team that is called a circus, losers, etc. What ha sSand Diego won? Buffalo? Jacksonville? Miami? Detroit?

The next logical question is: Why the heck is the media attacking any NFL team other then to sell papers? But why they include the Jets in their public attacks is based on BS and hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Many teams have not won a Championship since we had Parcells. Only we are the team that is called a circus, losers, etc. What ha sSand Diego won? Buffalo? Jacksonville? Miami? Detroit?

The next logical question is: Why the heck is the media attacking any NFL team other then to sell papers? But why they include the Jets in their public attacks is based on BS and hate.
    You can't knock the media for doing something that many of our own fan base do as well . . .

Rookie
    We are projected as being one of the worst teams for 2013..
    This sort of thinking is disappointing.

I try to never worry about what other project. As a fan I prefer to look at the roster and the coaching staff and draw my own conclusion.

I think we're moving in the right direction. During Rex's tenure we've always been a QB away from being a very good team. Now that our QB must earn the job and put up to keep it, we'll be a competitive team. IMHO of course, but it's my opinion and not someone else's projection.

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Those other teams that were mentioned don't have coaches out there talking about how great they are or predicting SB wins. Granted, Rex has dialed it down, but his new "reality" hasn't overcome public perception of him.

In short, when you go in front of the public and set high expectations talking about how good you are, people are going to laugh at you when you fail to meet those predictions.
    Exactly ... National TV ... Thanksgiving night ... Ass whooping by the Pats ... Capped with the Butt Fumble sealed our fate.

Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post

I try to never worry about what other project. As a fan I prefer to look at the roster and the coaching staff and draw my own conclusion.

I think we're moving in the right direction. During Rex's tenure we've always been a QB away from being a very good team. Now that our QB must earn the job and put up to keep it, we'll be a competitive team. IMHO of course, but it's my opinion and not someone else's projection.
    I agree ... Watching young guys flock to the ball ... Faster, meaner and stronger ... Should be fun to watch.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post

As a fan, I agree with your thinking. We are a QB away. But a great QB is hard to find. And that still doesn't change the projections of the experts on TV.

And if you don't like the blowhards on TV then here is something from people that actually have to put their money where their mouth is. The Vegas future odds for SB 2014. The livelihoods of the people that make these odds depends on being accurate:

Last edited by DDNYjets; 05-06-2013 at 09:03 AM.

When Rex was being boastful, he took us to consecutive AFC Championship games. He may have run his mouth, but that was 4 years ago and he backed it up. He hasn't run his mouth the past couple of years, he knew we didn't have the team to back it up.

He may not have gotten us a Superbowl, but he came close twice. That's even more than Parcells did.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    What do the numbers say about that abomination against the Titans last year?
    Or the butt fumble? What do they say about the entire Thanksgiving game?
    Do you know how many people in America watch the Thanksgiving game? Even old ladies and 4 year olds that never watch football watch football on Thanksgiving day.

We're the worst team in football, not because we're the worst of the worst, but because we're the loudest of the worst.

Thank our genius head coach, savior of the Jets, who didn't come here to kiss Belichick's rings and instead just regularly guarantees his own, even though he can't even win the division.
    I agree with that sentiment in regards to the day games but in reality how many people watch the Thursday night game in general and even moreso the Thanksgiving night game. I know personally if the Jets were not involved I'd be less inclined to watch the night game , but would never miss the day games.

All Pro
    Record over 4 years doesn't give an idea of trajectory. We started out good and have got worse the past two years; the media don't care what you did before that (unless you're the Patsies).

Other teams on that list started out weak 4 years ago and have improved (e.g. Miami in our own division).

Teams on a downward spiral will always get the attention from the media vultures.

As a fan, I agree with your thinking. We are a QB away. But a great QB is hard to find. And that still doesn't change the projections of the experts on TV.

And if you don't like the blowhards on TV then here is something from people that actually have to put their money where their mouth is. The Vegas future odds for SB 2014. The livelihoods of the people that make these odds depends on being accurate:

Take Carolina at 60-1, the best odds on that board

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by VAJET58 View Post
    When Rex was being boastful, he took us to consecutive AFC Championship games. He may have run his mouth, but that was 4 years ago and he backed it up. He hasn't run his mouth the past couple of years, he knew we didn't have the team to back it up.

He may not have gotten us a Superbowl, but he came close twice. That's even more than Parcells did.
    Not to mention that Parcells has a history of bad drafting, and when he sees his window pass for Championships, he 'retires,' leaving his mess to be cleaned up by the next guy, while looking like a genius and "if only we had Parcells back" thinking.
    PROOF:
    Randy Thomas
    David Loverne
    Jason Wiltz
    Jermaine Jones
    Marc Megna
    J.P. Machado
    Ryan Young
    J.J. Syvrud
    Dorian Boose
    Scott Frost
    Kevin Williams
    Jason Fabini
    Casey Dailey
    Doug Karczewski
    Blake Spence
    Eric Bateman
    Eric Ogbogu
    Chris Brazzell
    Dustin Johnson
    Lawrence Hart
    James Farrior
    Rick Terry
    Dedric Ward
    Terry Day
    Leon Johnson
    Lamont Burns
    Raymond Austin
    Tim Scharf
    Chuck Clements
    Steve Rosga
    Jason Ferguson
    How's that for a load of hot garbage? Any team would eventually suffer when you draft that bad three years in a row. And when Vinny went down, and Parcells knew he would never be the same, what did he do? Retire. Quit. It's Parcells MO.
    I just do NOT get the love by some Jet fans (cough SAR cough) for Parcells.

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post

First off, who cares what the coach says. Only media fools and equally ignorant fans care about that. If Rex had gone to 4 straight super bowls and lost people like you would still kill him for not living up to his "guarantees".

Second, as Tebow's biggest supporter why haven't teams been knocking down his door to sign him up? Perhaps its because he has a high school QB arm trapped in the head of a 6th grader?

Rookie
    This is a great point and worth of debate. The rest of the media, TV and print, for the most part are just interested in capturing eyeballs and not in good reporting.

Please note that the Vegas "current" was BEFORE the draft. As I noted earlier, please look at the current roster and then draw your own conclusions and then if we disagree it should be a worthy debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic Hip Screw View Post
    Take Carolina at 60-1, the best odds on that board
    What I don't get....after cutting a useless QB, Adding depth at DL and a potential stud CB, adding serviceable interior linemen, upgrading RB, drafting a QB who enjoyed a great deal of success in college and up until draft week was a top 10 pick, AND getting back our #1 receiver, our odds have essentially been cut in half?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by bjetsb View Post
    What I don't get....after cutting a useless QB, Adding depth at DL and a potential stud CB, adding serviceable interior linemen, upgrading RB, drafting a QB who enjoyed a great deal of success in college and up until draft week was a top 10 pick, AND getting back our #1 receiver, our odds have essentially been cut in half?
    Things will improve when the Jets cut Turnover6 another useless QB after June 1