Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Conor Orr: No longer under pressure, Stephen Hill ready to break out in second season

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    He looked just like Megatron last year? EXPERIENCE is valuable. College is a place to learn your game. GT did not prepare him. He had 49 catches his ENTIRE colllege career. There are guys who do that in half a college season.

There are 3 very good+ players on the Jets. Mangold, Brick and Cromartie.
    The rest range form above average (Wilkerson), averege (many) to poor (several). That's life. The Jets have not had a good front office recently. We'll see about Idzik - soon.
    I don't necessarily disagree about the talent on the Jets overall (although I will argue we have some very good young talent on the defensive side of the ball)

But these guys play 3 to 4 years of college while they're also going to school. Hill is 22 years old, playing football professionally. By the time he's 25 he would have been an NFL receiver longer than he was in college. If he has the skills to be a high-end NFL receiver he will (if he works hard)

He may or may not turn out to be a number 1 receiver, and yes it may take him a year or two longer, but it's not because of where he went to college.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    I don't necessarily disagree about the talent on the Jets overall (although I will argue we have some very good young talent on the defensive side of the ball)

But these guys play 3 to 4 years of college while they're also going to school. Hill is 22 years old, playing football professionally. By the time he's 25 he would have been an NFL receiver longer than he was in college. If he has the skills to be a high-end NFL receiver he will (if he works hard)

He may or may not turn out to be a number 1 receiver, and yes it may take him a year or two longer, but it's not because of where he went to college.
    The great thing about Hill is that he just turned 22 (April 25th). Kid is raw no doubt, but he is really young too. If Hill was 25 right now I wouldnt be nearly as optimistic, but he is younger than a lot of guys who are still in college right now.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    He'll never be better than an average #2 because of where he played in college?

Is that honestly what you're saying?
    Ill take him as a solid 2.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He looked just like Megatron last year? EXPERIENCE is valuable. College is a place to learn your game. GT did not prepare him. He had 49 catches his ENTIRE colllege career. There are guys who do that in half a college season.

The rest range form above average (Wilkerson), averege (many) to poor (several). That's life. The Jets have not had a good front office recently. We'll see about Idzik - soon.
    Spot on analysis.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    A decent QB might have done a lot to build his confidence and numbers. By the way, what kind of Jets fan would call him or harass him on Twitter?
    I had the same thought. Totally classless. To a rookie no less. Is this the same type of fan buying into the Geno Smith undercover crap?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    But this article also reminds me(us) how pathetic the Jets fanbase can be, and why we collectively as a fanbase need to relax a little and let some of these friggin players develop.

Fans want everything right away, nobody is willing to allow a player, coach, the team to go through ups and downs and try to figure things out.
    Yes, well when your GM takes the same win-now approach it is difficult to blame the fans. In some ways, the collapse of the Mike Tannenbaum-era Jets is the best thing that's happened to this franchise in a while.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I think this kids gonna be good....
    I don't think so. I don't see it in him. We'll see, though.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He should be working with the Jugs machine more than anything else. That is the only thing keeping him for a great leap in production.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    He should be working with the Jugs machine more than anything else. That is the only thing keeping him for a great leap in production.
    Agree 100%

My hope is he was on the Jugs machine every day this offseason. If he did that and figured out how to catch the ball with his hands he's going to be good.

He got open often, just couldn't catch.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I also think his internal clock will slow down his year as well. He was no doubt having trouble adjusting to the speed of the game. That one drop in the Pats game was just him rushing and anticipating things before they happened. That is a common rookie mistake. The kid was able to get open last year and that was a great sign, the drops will decrease as he gets more comfortable and confident in his game.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's another GT specimen. Demariyus Thomas wasn't very good his first two years, either.

Jury's out on Hill. Hopefully the shoulder injury is why he couldn't catch.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    He's another GT specimen. Demariyus Thomas wasn't very good his first two years, either.
    Neither are most NFL WR's who are considered good. Most NFL WR's don't really learn how to play at this level until their 3rd year which. (cue the "what about this guy who played good his rookie yr" - sorry exception rather than norm) Hill will be fine he has all the physical tools and he showed potential last season without a doubt.

And you guys make such a huge deal about the guy dropping passes he had one bad drop at the end of the New England game. How about focusing on the fact that the guy was basically wide open?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Pro football focus top 100 players.

14. Muhammad Wilkerson, DL, New York Jets (Unranked)

Itís easy to get lost in the shadow of players used in a similar fashion, and that was certainly the case for Wilkerson this year. Of course playing for the Jets and the circus that followed didnít help either, but for those in the know he was something special this year. Finishing second in our 3-4 defensive end rankings, Wilkerson was an impact player in the run game and supported that by adding an extremely healthy 37 quarterback disruptions.

Best Performance: Week 11 at St Louis, +7.4

Key Stat: His 46 defensive stops in the run game were the second-most of any 3-4 defensive end.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I would say Wilkerson is the best player on the team

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    Yeah I would say Wilkerson is the best player on the team
    This D line could be fierce

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He needs to talk to this guy...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Wilkerson is not merely above average.

as of right now, he's probably the best player on the team.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    I don't think so. I don't see it in him. We'll see, though.
    You based this "don't see it in him" on? What don't you see? And after 1 season?