Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 97

Thread: Could you imagine THIS in 2014?

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    Your sarcasm is noted and funny. In some cases though, you need to suck for a few years to really improve the talent.
    I get that I really do.

    But looking ahead to the NEXT draft and imagining how GREAT it would be to have the 2nd pick, because the upcoming season is so bad, seems very azz backward to me. Missplaced enthusiasm I would call it I guess.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by DBAKE View Post
    I would also suck to get to the playoffs every single year with zero to show for it....unless it has a * beside it for cheating.
    sorry ass cheaters.
    Yeah. Your missing the point.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    This is a stretch, but the question is, do you draft Lawrence Taylor/Reggie White or do you draft Matt Ryan/Ben Roethlisberger.

    Seems silly, but it's a lot closer than you think.
    Perhaps some teams trade up into the top 3. My expectation is that the first 3 picks will go like this... Bridgewater, Manziel/Clowney, Clowney/Manziel.

    I doubt the Jets will be top 2, but possibly 3. If Bridgewater falls to 3 and the Jets are there, Idzik has to take him in my opinion. Otherwise you get one of the other two or trade down.

  4. #24
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    17,065
    Quote Originally Posted by DBAKE View Post
    I would also suck to get to the playoffs every single year with zero to show for it....unless it has a * beside it for cheating.
    sorry ass cheaters.
    You had me at, I would also suck

    Sorry couldn't resist.

  5. #25
    This team will have a top 5 pick next year.

    Brandon Coleman, Bridgewater, Clowney (probably first overall,) Lee, and potentially Yeldon (STUD).

    The top end could be insanely good next year.

    Not just with who I mentioned but because of Boyd and Manziel as well.

    At least 5 or 6 of the guys coming out next year would've been the first overall pick this year. It's not close either.

    Personally, Lee, Clowney, Yeldon, or Coleman would all potentially be perennial All-Pros for the Jets for years. It's a given, barring injury, that Clowney will be #1 overall. As such these Jets need to move in the right direction and understand that sqeezing out a playoff appearance and saving Rex's job would potentially set them back years.

    1) It would hasten the expectations on Smith, which would be awful See Sanchez, Mark. Young QB's need to be allowed to suck.

    2) It would slot the draft pick too low, avoiding all possible top-end talent on a team without any on offense outside of Center right now.

    3) It leaves Rex in place for longer, meaning zero culpability to anybody but the OC and QB. The HC will dodge everything.

    4) It could mean Sanchez had a good year, and was extended. This would be the absolute worst. Remember when Derek Anderson had that huge year for the Browns? That's far more likely than Buttchez actually turning into anything.

  6. #26
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,541
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    You had me at, I would also suck

    Sorry couldn't resist.
    Was that a copycat Jason Collins post??

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    Perhaps some teams trade up into the top 3. My expectation is that the first 3 picks will go like this... Bridgewater, Manziel/Clowney, Clowney/Manziel.

    I doubt the Jets will be top 2, but possibly 3. If Bridgewater falls to 3 and the Jets are there, Idzik has to take him in my opinion. Otherwise you get one of the other two or trade down.
    Why do people think Matt Ryan is worth a crap?

    He has the best receiving corps in the league and his regular season stats are never that great.

    He's an average QB. I'd take at least 8 guys ahead of him.

    Brees, Rodgers, Eli, Peyton, Roethlisberger, RG3, Luck, Brady.

    Matt Ryan is a great example of fools' gold.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by DBAKE View Post
    I would also suck to get to the playoffs every single year with zero to show for it....unless it has a * beside it for cheating.
    sorry ass cheaters.

    Not really. Whatever it takes for you though

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    If the Raiders have the #1 pick next year, it's hard to imagine that the Raiders would consider Matt Flynn to be a long term solution. Again, it's hard ot know what will change over the course of the year (Matt Barkley was consensus #1 QB in April 2012, RGIII wasn't a consideration in April 2011) but I can't believe that the Raiders would not pick a consensus #1 QB in the draft.

    Even if they could get someone like Clowney. As great as Clowney is, you HAVE to take a QB with Bridgewater's pedigree when your #1 QB is 29, just "led" the team to #1 pick, and is 5 seasons (again, this assumes 1. Bridgewater shows the improvement necessary this season and 2. The Raiders have the #1 pick)

    The only teams that wouldn't draft Bridgewater #1 are Ravens, Steelers, Colts, Redskins (assuming RGIII doesn't have a major injury), Packers, Falcons, Saints, and Seahawks.

    Of course the Pats wouldn't be #1 overall (or the Giants, or 49ers) but I think all those teams would take Bridgewater over Clowney
    First off there is no way Raiders pick number 1 in 2014. It's so silly to say what a team would do if they had the number one pick in the draft. It all depends what happens this year. If Matt Flynn, Tyler WiLson or T Pryor establish them self in 2013 as the Qb , than Raiders are probably looking at a different position.

    Now could you use that franchise Qb as a trade bait to get maximum trade value- Yes that quite possible. But you might lose a chance to get a defensive player that comes along once a decade. So Unless you could drop down one spot and still get that player than you probably pick the impact player that going to pay bigger dividends for your football team.

    BTW. Guarantee some or all of those Qb won't be as highly rated come next season. Happens every year.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 05-06-2013 at 12:44 PM.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    First off there is no way Raiders pick number 1 in 2014. It's so silly to say what a team would do if they had the number one pick in the draft. It all depends what happens this year. If Matt Flynn, Tyler WiLson or T Pryor establish them self in 2013 as the Qb , than Raiders are probably looking at a different position.

    Now could you use that franchise Qb as a trade bait to get maximum trade value- Yes that quite possible. But you might lose a chance to get a defensive player that comes along once a decade. So Unless you could drop down one spot and still get that player than you probably pick the impact player that going to pay bigger dividends for your football team.
    Honestly, if Clowney doesn't go 1st overall, you essentially have a GM who wants to get fired. There's not a team in the NFL that wouldn't take him, either. Nobody would shoot down a specimen like that guy on a rookie contract.

  11. #31
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,749
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Exactly...

    Rex's defense gets the team 6 wins at minimum.
    we did that last year when Sucky had a terrible season and we were without Mevis. I expect a stronger defense and more offense this year! 8 to 9 wins!

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Honestly, if Clowney doesn't go 1st overall, you essentially have a GM who wants to get fired. There's not a team in the NFL that wouldn't take him, either. Nobody would shoot down a specimen like that guy on a rookie contract.
    No IF There is a franchise Qb there you have to take him because that franchise Qb trumps a stud DE. Qb is just a more important position that can determine success or failure of a franchise .( see Tom Brady)

    A GM passes On a franchise Qb for J Clowney he probably getting fired . Only way if that franchise Qb bombs like Jamarcus Russell , does he come out looking good.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    we did that last year when Sucky had a terrible season and we were without Mevis. I expect a stronger defense and more offense this year! 8 to 9 wins!
    The jets are bringing in a new offense. It probably going to take at least two years before everyone gets comfortable in the offense. The Jets offense could be better on paper but be worse this year , than last year offense.

    The Jet's special teams will probably take a big hit with mike Westoffs retirement . That could cost you a couple games right there.
    right now no one can say how things will turn out for Jets or any team. You just have to wait and see . They can be real bad and they might surprise and win as many games you say they will. No one knows.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    No IF There is a franchise Qb there you have to take him because that franchise Qb trumps a stud DE. Qb is just a more important position that can determine success or failure of a franchise .( see Tom Brady)

    A GM passes On a franchise Qb for J Clowney he probably getting fired . Only way if that franchise Qb bombs like Jamarcus Russell , does he come out looking good.
    No that's not true at all. Not from the perspective of trading down.

    If the Raiders have the first overall pick and Flynn gives you a 70% completion percentage with 30 TDs and 8 picks and 4000 yards (aka a top 3-5 QB) you would be fools to trade down.

    You take Clowney. If your Raiders end up with dogcrap at QB then you probably will have better luck trading down in that particular draft since Boyd and Bridgewater, even 2nd and 3rd overall, are less of a sure thing than Clowney.

    People don't realize this:

    Melvin Ingram was a first rounder because of Clowney. But the extension goes beyond that:

    USC defensive players have looked incredible coming out largely because Clowney is borderline unblockable. The guy is a freak. Look it up. Antonio Allen and D.J. Swearinger who have both benefited from Clowney. There's a huge list of them. Not that they weren't good, but that they look amazing because of what happens when it takes 2 O-lineman on every play to be dedicated to trying to block a dump truck with the speed of a Ferrari. The last prospect even close to what he's bringing was Julius Peppers. And Clowney looks miles better than Peppers did.

    Seriously, go start with his freshman year of high school and understand that while Tahj Boyd and Bridgewater are both very good QB prospects, this is a different level. This is like drafting Lawrence Taylor.

    This is an unparalleled talent, regardless of position. It's like you do a DNA profile of Clowney and can trace back every single marker in ever great football player ever and he has every single one of them in him plus he's enormous, insanely fast, and has an enormous reach.
    Last edited by PMarsico9; 05-06-2013 at 01:39 PM.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    No that's not true at all. Not from the perspective of trading down.

    If the Raiders have the first overall pick and Flynn gives you a 70% completion percentage with 30 TDs and 8 picks and 4000 yards (aka a top 3-5 QB) you would be fools to trade down.

    You take Clowney. If your Raiders end up with dogcrap at QB then you probably will have better luck trading down in that particular draft since Boyd and Bridgewater, even 2nd and 3rd overall, are less of a sure thing than Clowney.

    People don't realize this:

    Melvin Ingram was a first rounder because of Clowney. But the extension goes beyond that:

    USC defensive players have looked incredible coming out largely because Clowney is borderline unblockable. The guy is a freak. Look it up. Hell the Jets have two guys on their roster: Antonio Allen and Dee Milliner who have both benefited from Clowney. There's a huge list of them. Not that they weren't good, but that they look amazing because of what happens when it takes 2 O-lineman on every play to be dedicated to trying to block a dump truck with the speed of a Ferrari. The last prospect even close to what he's bringing was Julius Peppers. And Clowney looks miles better than Peppers did.

    Seriously, go start with his freshman year of high school and understand that while Tahj Boyd and Bridgewater are both very good QB prospects, this is a different level. This is like drafting Lawrence Taylor.

    This is an unparalleled talent, regardless of position. It's like you do a DNA profile of Clowney and can trace back every single marker in ever great football player ever and he has every single one of them in him plus he's enormous, insanely fast, and has an enormous reach.
    couple of points. If your Qb put up the numbers your talking about what would the chance your team was drafting number 1 overall. Not good even if your defense was atrocious.

    Yes there is always more risk in drafting the Qb than taking the sure thing-Clowney. Still you would have to take that risk if you felt that Qb was a franchise Qb because Qb is the most important position in the nFl and it isn't even close.( see salaries top Qbs are making despite stagnant salary cap)

    How did Dee Milliner benefit from Clowney. Dee Milliner went to Alabama and Clowney South Carolina.

  16. #36
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,178
    apparently Raider911 didn't read where M Westhoff's replacement is B Kotwica who M Westhoff personally trained for the job for the last three seasons or so,

    The Jets are not like the Raiders where the semi-retarded nepotism owner fires the entire staff from top to bottom every season

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    couple of points. If your Qb put up the numbers your talking about what would the chance your team was drafting number 1 overall. Not good even if your defense was atrocious.

    Yes there is always more risk in drafting the Qb than taking the sure thing-Clowney. Still you would have to take that risk if you felt that Qb was a franchise Qb because Qb is the most important position in the nFl and it isn't even close.( see salaries top Qbs are making despite stagnant salary cap)

    How did Dee Milliner benefit from Clowney. Dee Milliner went to Alabama and Clowney South Carolina.

    LOL. I meant Swearinger. I have no idea why I wrote Milliner. My God.......><.

    I don't deny that QB is vital. But I still see this as Reggie Bush vs. Mario Williams. Even if there's Manziel, Boyd, and Bridgewater out there.

  18. #38
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    6,888
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    No IF There is a franchise Qb there you have to take him because that franchise Qb trumps a stud DE. Qb is just a more important position that can determine success or failure of a franchise .( see Tom Brady)

    A GM passes On a franchise Qb for J Clowney he probably getting fired . Only way if that franchise Qb bombs like Jamarcus Russell , does he come out looking good.
    Um....this is why you are not an NFL GM.

    Lets say, for some unforeseen reason, Indianapolis had the #1 pick next year....with your logic, they would fire their GM for not taking Teddy Bridgewater, when they have Andrew Luck there?

    R-I-G-H-T

  19. #39
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    6,888
    I don't think there is ANY chance we have the 2nd pick, but could you imagine if we were to get this guy?

    Clowney/Mo/Ellis/Richardson

    Barnes/Harris/Davis/Coples

    I mean, that isn't even fair....

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Boynton Beach Jets View Post
    Clowney is not just another defensive end could be the best defensive player in the last 5-7 years coming out
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    do you not get how special Clowney is?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxzCzU5Dm7c

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us